Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 466280 times)

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - SONIC + TRAILERS = WOW
« Reply #1525 on: October 10, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
You know, now with Sonic in the game, I really want Pacman and Megaman in it...badly.  I know Pacman would be weird, but the game is becoming this videogame history lesson of sorts, and it would feel incomplete without Pacman.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - SONIC + TRAILERS = WOW
« Reply #1526 on: October 10, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
Servbot Assist Trophy.  I would live to see it.  I think Simon would still be a better fit for Smash.  I still think he's one of the most identifiable main characters from Castlevaina.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 10, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
You know, now with Sonic in the game, I really want Pacman and Megaman in it...badly.  I know Pacman would be weird, but the game is becoming this videogame history lesson of sorts, and it would feel incomplete without Pacman.

Ugh, you people need to stop wanting Pac-Man...He's a one-hit wonder with a really, REALLY bad track record in 3D...One that's even worse than Sonic's, so NO...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 10, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »

...One that's even worse than Sonic's, and that's nooooo good!

Fixed =D

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 10, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
Yeah, Pac-Man would be a fun boss or assist trophy, but I can't imagine him working at all as a playable character. There are a few Namco characters that would make fun assist trophies, actually.  Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll be seeing Konami or Sega characters as Assists.  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: October 10, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
The latest I'd like to see this game is March 2008. That's ample time for tweaking and balancing. If it kept its original release date, a 2 year development cycle is plenty for a game that borrows so much from its predecessor. For an extra year wait, they'd have to be adding upwards for 10-15 characters and stages, something I don't think would warrant a delay. Not that that would be a significantly bad thing, but sometimes you just have to let things go.... unlike George Lucas who continually butchers the Original Trilogy.

QFT

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I mean that both Ice Climbers and G&W are from series which are both very much dead and gone (unless you count the G&W GBA game recently...). Belmont sharing the same fate doesn't invalidate him for SSB, really.

Yeah but you miss the point that the 3rd parties aren't just putting characters in to be nice here.... there are agendas and license talks, rights, rules... red tape.  Also, Nintendo likely included (and will keep) both the Ice Climbers and G&W since they provide a unique twist on characters (joint pair/completely flat with stop animation)

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
0:15 - Sonic using his Spin Dash for the first time of many in the trailer...Most likely his standard B attack...

How many years did they drill the spin dash as Down+B and you think standard B attack.... for shame!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1531 on: October 10, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »

Pacman makes a lot of sense, but I would really, really rather not see him in Brawl.... I just find him so boring. The attempt to update him has just never done anything for me.

I'd love to see Hudson bring Bomberman, though, as, let's face it, it's time for a rematch between him and an already present fighter:

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 10, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky Yeah but you miss the point that the 3rd parties aren't just putting characters in to be nice here.... there are agendas and license talks, rights, rules... red tape.  Also, Nintendo likely included (and will keep) both the Ice Climbers and G&W since they provide a unique twist on characters (joint pair/completely flat with stop animation)

I COMPLETELY agree that 3rd party characters should be in the game to see some benefit from it, but people pooped all over the idea when I suggested that Snake should have something on the Wii because having him in SSBB is awesome advertising.

And I think we're due for a (good) 3D remake of Belmont's Castlevania, don't you?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Janus

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 10, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »
pacman collects dots throught the whole game then comes the big dot, which grants him invincibility and eating power. Pacman eats, and is ball shaped. Imagine if like in attack he chomps at you, he could swallow you up like kirby, and bounce on his back like a ball. Just because Pacman hasnt done it, doesnt mean Sakurai could make him do cool stuff, look at fox and captain falcon!
You left me for Dead 007, but i'm back!

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1534 on: October 10, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »

Ugh, you people need to stop wanting Pac-Man...He's a one-hit wonder with a really, REALLY bad track record in 3D...One that's even worse than Sonic's, so NO...

No need for the tone.  I'm actually getting pretty tired of the petty, overreactive nature of these boards of late.  I come here at the end of my day to chat about these things with like-minded people, not be mocked and called "you people."  Come on.  Let's lighten up.  

That said, I agree there's no way to gracefully include Pacman, I juat want him in there.  I'd totally settle for a big, pixelated assist trophy.

Offline Janus

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 10, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
I agree with Tanookisuit, I've seen people do that lately. I just joined these boards, i lurked for a while, but as of late you guys seem rude@!
You left me for Dead 007, but i'm back!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1536 on: October 10, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
Well, it has been posted else where (although only with the character select screen), but it seems that Dengeki has scored some exclusive pics:

Source

Question... anyone know what the heck is happening in that last shot?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 10, 2007, 06:19:54 PM »
Samus has an aura around her? And Fox has a sword item?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 10, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »
It looks like Link is doing an overhead slash at Fox with what looks like either an assist trophy or Pokemon (maybe even a stage obstacle) creating a bubble or forcefield behind Link.

While she does not appear to be in the select screen I was so hoping for Zelda to be playable so we might have gotten a shot of what Sheik will look like, if Sheik is even present.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 10, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
I leave for to Vegas for 2 days and I come back to this... I knew it, I just knew it! Im so happy I honestly could cry!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 10, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »

Ceric wrote:
I think Simon would still be a better fit for Smash. I still think he's one of the most identifiable main characters from Castlevaina.

True that. I think most gamers can at least identify the Belmont family so if not Simon, then someone from the Belmont clan could easily be chosen. Richter has appeared the most times and most recently in Portrait of Ruin and the Rondo of blood remake, but the Belmont clan (discounting Sonya who was retconned) are pretty indistinguishable anyway. They all have basically the same moves. The whole alternate costumes thing would work really well here with, for example, Leon, Trevor, Simon, and Richter being the same Belmont character.

Then, there's always Alucard.........

Smash_Brother wrote:
And I think we're due for a (good) 3D remake of Belmont's Castlevania, don't you?

Hmm, that's assuming Igarashi and is team somehow figured out how to make Castlevania right in 3D. Lament and Curse weren't terrible; they were just no where near as good as the 2D games. Some 2D mechanics don't work in 3D and I think that's what they haven't realized yet.

anubis6789 wrote:
While she does not appear to be in the select screen I was so hoping for Zelda to be playable so we might have gotten a shot of what Sheik will look like, if Sheik is even present.

Sheik was quietly semi-confirmed by Eiji Aonuma awhile back. He mentioned something about his artists creating Sheik and Ganondorf designs for Brawl. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT: Here It's at the very bottom of the interview.  

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 10, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

anubis6789 wrote:

Sheik was quietly semi-confirmed by Eiji Aonuma awhile back. He mentioned something about his artists creating Sheik and Ganondorf designs for Brawl. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT: Here It's at the very bottom of the interview.

I know (in a funny twist I was actually the first to mention that interview on these boards, or at least in this thread, or the old mega thread ), I just want to see what the possibly redesigned Sheik looks like.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 10, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
Ok now that my emotional high has settled, I want to point out a thing or two.

Near the end when we see the characters using their new taunts, take a look at Peach. Either she has a new singing taunt or singing attack. What ever it is, judging by Bowser's dance, it will affect people, probably similiar to Jigglypuff's Sing Attack. But instead of sleeping they dance.

I also assume it could be a taunt since Luigi's taunt could also physicaly affect another player.

And what about that trophy of Dixie? (one x or two?) Im trying to study it to see if its as detalied as Diddy's, though so far her non fur shaded model is telling me "no it is just a trophy and not a trophy of her playable fighting form." Well if there is one.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 10, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »
Nice to see more Sonic in this update. I wonder if the Spring Jump can be used diagonally. Sonic would be pretty dangerous if he could because unless he's super light, he has 3 moves that can use to get back on the stage.

And I see that there's water on the Delphino Plaza stage. I really hope that you can swim in Brawl. That was really bothersome in Melee's Great Bay stage. I just couldn't understand why so many characters have been shown to swim or survive in water, yet they all just sank like rocks in Great Bay. There's a lot of gameplay possibilities by adding swimming to game even if it's only in one or a few stages.  

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 11, 2007, 12:55:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

0:15 - Sonic using his Spin Dash for the first time of many in the trailer...Most likely his standard B attack...

How many years did they drill the spin dash as Down+B and you think standard B attack.... for shame!

Confirmed.  Bill is shamed

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 11, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »
Is there a difference between the charged Spin Dash and the Spin Charge? What's he mean by "there's no pop"?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 11, 2007, 03:04:06 AM »
If it's like the old games you could do a quick spin dash which launched you quickly to the side for a short distance, or you could charge it up by hitting B repeatedly and go faster and farther and had a slightly different feel to it when you released.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 11, 2007, 05:23:29 AM »

Confirmed.  Bill is shamed

Wrong, we're both incorrect...Spin Dash is Over+B, not Down+B...

Though now I wonder how you do Sonic's Lock-on Dive attack...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 11, 2007, 05:34:32 AM »
If Nintendo was hoping for Sonic to make up for a delay they really needed to give the new date yesterday and not TBD. The delay isn't a delay until we get the new date, at which point everyone will make a huge deal about it (at least as long as it pushes the game into 2008, if it's a delay of a couple weeks nobody will care). Or maybe they just have another megaton waiting for then.  
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline deathstar45

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 11, 2007, 05:47:58 AM »
The US release date is February 10, 2008:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826579p1.html