Author Topic: The Mystery of Nintendo's 2014 E3.  (Read 8355 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
The Mystery of Nintendo's 2014 E3.
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
I was thinking of putting this in Soren’s E3 thread but whatever. It’s a real long post with a different purpose and subject matter and I guess I just don’t play by the forum rules when E3 is around. Just wait until E3 arrives and then I conspire to bring down the whole site and/or complete my secret mission of ending Talkback comments because that’s been my goal all along. Anyways...

For some reason, my thoughts have been drifting towards E3 (IN JUST TWO WEEKS!). Part of me has to keep remembering that it is coming because I'm just feeling blase about it partly because we literally know very little of what could be shown and the stuff we do know about has been known for a very long time that I'm not considering it very newsworthy. But then when I try to start guessing and imagining what might be shown, I hit a blank wall because at this point, we have no idea what Nintendo is thinking or how they plan on going forward.

It is only that mystery which is even keeping me interested in their E3 showing at this point. So, with E3 about to happen (IN JUST 2 WEEKS!), I felt like taking a crack at what we might be seeing from Nintendo.

Let's focus on the Wii U since this is the console forum and begin with the obvious. Smash Bros. is most likely the tentpole news topic and the game to get a large share of press. X (with perhaps a real title), Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors are all expected to make a showing along with a glimpse at the next Zelda title. Yarn Yoshi has disappeared for a long time but may finally make a reappearance here. I think there is something to do with Wii Sports being mentioned. Other than that, am I missing anything?

So, what else could show up? It pretty much seems that there will be no 3rd party games announced or shown with the exception of one, Sega. And maybe Watch Dogs. Sonic Boom probably will show up. Is that it of the 3 exclusive Sonic games or is there one more? The Sega partnership is interesting since they bought Atlus and there is supposed to be the Fire Emblem/Shin Megami crossover. Could there be some more Sega/Nintendo deals to happen or Sega/Atlus franchises to make an appearance?

Turning back to Nintendo and looking at what they might have to offer in regard to their franchises is just as much of a puzzle.

Will we really see another Mario game? Part of me doubts it. Even when the Wii was selling like gangbusters, we only got three Mario platformer titles on it and those took about 5-6 years to come out. Will Nintendo really release 3 Mario platformers on the same console in a span of 2 - 3 years? It's never been done before but they are the best selling titles for the system so far. Otherwise, what is left in the Mario stable to show? There could be a Mario sports title or two. There could be a Mario Party. But with the 3DS just having released an MP game 6 months ago and Mario Golf just arriving with Mario Tennis already out on 3DS before it, none of those seem likely except for the fact that Nintendo has been following a weird strategy of releasing a title on the 3DS first and then releasing it on the Wii U a little later so it's possible. Personally, I think Mario is going to have a pretty lowkey showing this year as they let Zelda handle the heavy lifting. However, there is one exception and possibility that I would go with. A new Paper Mario game. There's been some time now since Sticker Star came out and Paper Mario games always seem to take awhile to develop so its possible that a new one could be in the works and we get a brief glimps of it. Otherwise, unless there are some spin-off games from the Mushroom Kingdom announced ala Yarn Yoshi, I don't expect much here.

With Zelda, we've stated the 2 expected games to be shown. I highly doubt there'd be anything else to show from this franchise.

Donkey Kong - Had his Wii game release on 3DS over a year ago and a new console game came out a couple months ago. Unless there is some kind of Mario VS DK game to be announced and considering Retro's development cycle times if they were making another DKC game, I expect nothing from the big ape.

Metroid - It's possible we see something for Metroid but my prediction is that we'd see a 2D platformer on the 3DS than a new console game like Prime if this franchise resurfaces. Right now, it still seems to be in a cooling off period.

Pokemon - There could be some kind of Pokemon Stadium game mentioned or some kind of Pikachu spinoff again. Besides that or an incredible surprise announcement of Pokemon Snap 2, I don't see this franchise doing anything with the Wii U. It's got the 3DS to focus on.

So, where does that leave the rest? Kirby, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing have all had releases in the past year or so on 3DS. Guess that makes them prime targets to have a Wii U game next, right? But I think it unlikely.

That leaves Star Fox and F-Zero. It really seems like this is the time for those franchises to appear with most everything else in Nintendo's stable having been looked after pretty recently and with them missing the Wii years. But are they too risky? Star Fox needs a well-designed game period. If done well, an HD flight combat game with the gamepad acting as your ships console could probably stir up some interest and sales. With F-Zero, 10 years later, I still don't know how you can improve on that game. Moreover, is sales growth for that franchise possible? Even if Nintendo releases another game just like it with a new story and tracks, has the brand grown to a point where more people are going to try it? With the Japanese market moving away from games with higher difficulty, will Nintendo temper that difficulty or does it have a new idea/twist for the franchise?

After that.... Pikmin? No. Kid Icarus? No. Nintendogs? No. Battalion Wars? Even less chance than Star Fox and F-Zero. Ice Climbers? Now, I'm just listing Smash Bros. characters. Mr. Game and Watch? See. Star Tropics? Does it even exist because Smash Bros. hardly mentions it?

Are there are any other franchise I'm missing here? Which brings me to my next point of speculation. With so much of Nintendo's franchises rather up to date and having had a release of some kind in the past 2 years with only Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero as the big exceptions, it would seem there are two choices. Keep making more entries for these series and pump them out or do something new.

If ever Nintendo wanted to semi-rebrand itself or expand its stable, this seems to be the chance. They've known about the state of the Wii U for awhile from its stagnent sales last year to the less than desirable holiday season. There's been announcements of change and restructuring and all kinds of future planning talk, might we actually see some of it at E3? It's obvious that their franchises are still selling well for the most part by they don't seem to be motiviating too many people to purchase a Wii U for them. With MK8 and Smash Bros. both set to hit this year, Nintendo's got two of its best sellers lined up to support the Wii U to further take that chance. There's been a rumor that Miyamoto has been working on a new IP of some sort but who knows what that could mean? Still, why should he be the only one? Iwata speaks of one game turning around the Wii U? Is he hoping it is just the right established franchise title or is there something new in the works?

Nintendo has something that most video game developers do not and that is the idea and belief that any game they release will be a top-tier experience. It's why we buy Nintendo products to play their games. Yes, they have had duds but compared to the vast output of many good titles, the expectation is always that a game they release will be good. Thus, I think if any company was primed to have success and a shot at being able to create new franchises and have them sell well, it is Nintendo. And they've obviously had some success at it to have the variety of franchises they do now. It just takes getting the word out to get people to notice and want to try it. When Nintendo wants to, they can almost give out too much information. Just look at the spoiler complaints that arose from the Super Mario 3D World information overload that happened last year. If they did that when promoting a new franchise, I think it would make them less of the risk the industry considers them.

The biggest obstacle to this is timing. Pikmin 1 and 2 were released on the GC, Nintendo's lowest selling console. As such, sales figures weren't great. Nintendo re-released them with motion controls on the Wii but they weren't really promoted and that whole idea ckind of fizzled. Yet, we finally got Pikmin 3 only for it to be released on an even lower selling console than the GC. Sadly, it is again suffer low sales. Now, if it had been released on the mega-selling Wii fever of the time, maybe things would be different for it. It took 12 years for Luigi's Mansion to get a second kick at the can but at least it was put on a high selling platform the second time around.

The final possibility of what Nintendo could show for E3 is the Bayonetta 2 route in which they have stepped in to fund a game. For instance, maybe they want to fund Beyond Good and Evil 2 and make it an exclusive. Thus, even though Ubisoft says they have no announcements for any Nintendo systems, it could be because Nintendo is announcing such exclusives themselves. Or just showing Watch Dogs themselves. But this is the most unlikely scenario. Still, they did take about mergers and acquisitions as an option so the possibility exists.

All in all, it is a real mystery and it is that mystery which is causing me to envision amazing scenarios and will no doubt be the reason so many people complain and moan after E3 because their wishes weren’t fulfilled as they also try to fill in the gaps of what awaits at E3. But that’s what can happen with surprises.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:25:49 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of Nintendo's 2014 E3.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
Now with proper formatting. Man, copying and pasting something on to the forums can be a real chore. Just like reading my long posts. HA!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Didn't realize we're only two weeks away.  That's pretty exciting actually.

I think this is one Nintendo's most important E3's.  Like 20 years from now when we're telling the "Nintendo story" this E3 will be pointed to as the beginning of Nintendo's turnaround or that moment when everyone realized they were finished as console makers.  I'm concerned that Nintendo doesn't realize how big this E3 is.  I don't like how they don't have a press conference anymore because of the perception it gives.  I fear Nintendo's reaction to the Wii U is to just putter along with the status quo as if nothing is wrong.  So far they've lacked urgency in addressing the Wii U "problem".

The big mystery is the Quality of Life platform.  Is this a non-gaming device?  Is this effectively a Wii U replacement?  Does it signify Nintendo moving away from videogames?  Is it a third pillar that won't really affect their gaming products?  Will we see anything to do with this at all at E3?

The Wii U is not selling well.  This is the first E3 since that disasterous sales figure adjustment so this is realistically Nintendo's response to the whole situation.  That alone makes this a big E3.  I really want to see what they're going to do to address this.  They might do nothing but even that is a reaction and will give us an idea of what sort of future the Wii U will have.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
They better play for keeps this year. Pull out all the stops and let the chips fall where they may. All those good clichés. I want them to double down on Wii U and throw caution to the wind.

For the lack of 3rd party stuff the can start releasing  HDports of Wii exclusives (I really want Tatsunoko vs Capcom HD/2) 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
If I was Nintendo, and I wanted to double down.  If I truly wanted to show the world that Nintendo was going to be about games, and games people WANT to play.

I would come to E3, and I would announce 3rd party developers that we were buying for smart IPs.  Sega, Capcom, and some of the smaller Japanese companies.  Either try to purchase the IPs themselves or the companies. 

Personally, I would prefer if they bought at least one company, and use that name to publish any games that are not fitting for the Nintendo image.  Like buy Sega, and any M or T rated games on Nintendo are published under Sega. 

Then I would buy some beloved classic franchises and start updating them.  Contra, Mega Man, Bomberman, Anything that is dormant, but reminds gamers of the love they have for Nintendo. 

They should go for broke...quite literally.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
We'll probably be seeing a little more of the mysterious Fire Emblem/SMT crossover, and a LOT of Smash 4/Hyrule Warriors/Bayonetta2.

As for new projects, I know better than to expect anything both outside of the usual (ie: Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong) or good (bad meaning Wii Fit, Mario Party, and whatever this future Quality of Life failure is going to be), so that discounts Starfox and F-Zero.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
Also as ridiculously ridiculous as it may sound, Metroid x Star Fox isn't a bad idea. Neither of them sell particularly well but have the gravitas to carry each others weakness.

Full on panic mode!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
It's been my hope that as Nintendo's Wii U situation got more dire, they'd dig into their long-forgotten franchises (Star-Fox, F-Zero), or at least start getting a little weird with their big franchises, taking risks with them.

I get the feeling that anything that comes directly from Nintendo will be the continuation of conservative by-the-numbers game development, with developer partners taking the more chancy route (Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2).

My expectations are low simply because I don't know what to expect, but that leaves it open for me to be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Well we now know Pushmo World will be one of the games revealed for North America at E3. Possible summer release maybe?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »
BRAINSTORM!!!
A lucario game!
like hey you pikachu ::)
 www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7fV8Vd49Lk 
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
Didn't realize we're only two weeks away.  That's pretty exciting actually.

I think this is one Nintendo's most important E3's.  Like 20 years from now when we're telling the "Nintendo story" this E3 will be pointed to as the beginning of Nintendo's turnaround or that moment when everyone realized they were finished as console makers.  I'm concerned that Nintendo doesn't realize how big this E3 is.  I don't like how they don't have a press conference anymore because of the perception it gives.  I fear Nintendo's reaction to the Wii U is to just putter along with the status quo as if nothing is wrong.  So far they've lacked urgency in addressing the Wii U "problem".

The big mystery is the Quality of Life platform.  Is this a non-gaming device?  Is this effectively a Wii U replacement?  Does it signify Nintendo moving away from videogames?  Is it a third pillar that won't really affect their gaming products?  Will we see anything to do with this at all at E3?

The Wii U is not selling well.  This is the first E3 since that disasterous sales figure adjustment so this is realistically Nintendo's response to the whole situation.  That alone makes this a big E3.  I really want to see what they're going to do to address this.  They might do nothing but even that is a reaction and will give us an idea of what sort of future the Wii U will have.

And that's the other curious thing about this years E3. I just focused on what the game announcements could be but what about the other technical stuff? They've talked about unified accounts. Will that finally come to pass and be announced here? Do they have more plans or games to announce for the virtual console? Is the Wiiumagined or something like it still happening? How does Quality of Life factor into things? Will they finally present a clear vision on the Wii U so that we can understand? Do they plan to create more apps for the gamepad or upgrade current applications for smoother usage? For instance, I know BnM has complained about Netflix not working as well on the Wii U as it did on the Wii. I expect the NFC idea to get some press time. Just where is Nintendo going with this idea?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
If they can't supply the games, then they better start supplying the apps, so here's what I would like to see.

Major OS update/overhaul.
Universal accounts, integrated Club N (register games/stuff from an app), speed boost, new system wide features, such as...

Turning the Wii U into more of an entertainment device, and less of a games consoles that kinda does some extra's... but not very well.

Netflix on the Wii U is frustratingly disappointing (it just stops working ALL the time).
-I use it on almost every day at some point. 3 out of 5 days it will fail on a video at least once.
Amazon Prime UI is just disappointing on it's own, the Wii U interface isn't helping.
-This is as Amazon problem, but someone needs to fix it.
TVii is just a distraction, has potential but needs a feature injection.
Bring in the Roku-like apps. Bring in Folders so we can organize. Options Options Options.

Big EPIC games are needed.
Wii U needs an Uncharted/GoW/Halo type game. The New Mario game and the next Donkey Kong is not going to fill this ever widening void in Nintendo's lineup. If it's a new FP Metroid in large lush environments, then great, let's get on it. If it's a revived IP (Star Tropics) just as good if not better. If it's a new IP, preferably by a western dev (Retro needs the leash loosened & some new blood needs to be acquired in the west), that is just as good as well.

Some game, any game, from Nintendo, that sells the concept of the GamePad. Nintendoland did a few interesting things, Zombi U was an interesting game, but Nintendo needs a real game that really uses the Gamepad as an essential part of the experience.

Release the Pokemon already. You can't be deaf blind and dumb enough to not hear the fanbase asking for it for over a decade (atleast). Just make it happen already. Battle on the big screen, pokemanagement in real time on the small screen. How about a new Pokemon Snap style game using the gamepad like Google Street view? New battle arena with heavy MMORPG elements built in, but also connecting to the 3DS and Pokemon B/W or whatever the next edition will be. I'm sure any real Pokemon effort will help, just make it good and meaty experience on it's own. Something a Pokenthusiast will not want to miss.

Announce EVERYTHING you are currently working on. If it doesn't pan out 2 years from now, who cares, you need people to buy in now. People are on the fence because they don't see much coming down the pipeline and aren't currently interested in what's on the shelf. Sell a plan for the future even if it's the ideas are just in the early production stages. Wii U is in a bad place, sell the vision. Let us know we have lots to look forward too.

I doubt any of this happens, but Nintendo has surprised us before. IT won't be with this entire list, but maybe 1 thing off of it will happen.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Announce EVERYTHING you are currently working on. If it doesn't pan out 2 years from now, who cares, you need people to buy in now. People are on the fence because they don't see much coming down the pipeline and aren't currently interested in what's on the shelf. Sell a plan for the future even if it's the ideas are just in the early production stages. Wii U is in a bad place, sell the vision. Let us know we have lots to look forward too.

This would be really important.  It's really the only way you can make your E3 presentation better.  E3 is just the announcement of Nintendo's next year.  They either have a good year of content in the works or they don't.  But showing stuff that's off in the distance is the one way to "pad" E3 with more content than will actually be released soon.  I assume that Nintendo won't have the kind of year in store that will really sell people the Wii U.  The third party support isn't there and Nintendo has been really slow in their development time for their own games.  Even if they started addressing these issues right when they became apparent the turnaround time is too long for this upcoming year to be affected.  I'm predicting it will be at least as lean of a year as this last one was.  Nintendo isn't going to get anywhere being honest about the next year.  Selling us on some cool looking vaporware that's a few years down the road is their best bet to create any sort of buzz about the Wii U and create confidence in its future.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
But that would require Nintendo to change their approach to announcing games.  And changing strategies isn't something Nintendo's been good at lately.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:37 PM »
But that would require Nintendo to change their approach to announcing games.  And changing strategies isn't something Nintendo's been good at lately.

Salvaging the Wii U requires a change to Nintendo's strategies.  But then what we think Nintendo SHOULD do at E3 and what we think they actually will do are different topics.  What I think Nintendo will do is pretty pessimistic.  I hope we'll see the start of an improved Nintendo.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
A Pokemon announcement is a no-brainer and Nintendo could be desperate enough to actually make it.

As for the mystery, I guess the only concern I have is, can they excite me?

There are plenty of good games for the Wii U as of now, but I have the patience to wait for the price to drop or a limited addition to be announced. So what can Nintendo announce, to a Nintendo Fan, to make me buy one this year?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »
A Pokemon announcement is a no-brainer and Nintendo could be desperate enough to actually make it.

As for the mystery, I guess the only concern I have is, can they excite me?

There are plenty of good games for the Wii U as of now, but I have the patience to wait for the price to drop or a limited addition to be announced. So what can Nintendo announce, to a Nintendo Fan, to make me buy one this year?

They'll release the Wii U in BLACK!!! That's what everyone wants.... oh, they already did that.

They'll launch 2 Mario games, a 3D and a 2D one... oh... they did that too... hmmm

They'll revive Donkey Kong County!! that's an SNES favorite.... huh... who...?  for the Wii....? and the Wii U...!? oh, well damn.

They are about to drop Mario Kart 8 and with it you get up to 2-3 free games with it!!! WHUT!!! what do you mean NWR gave it a 7.5!!! WTF is this ****!! WHO BOLTED THE TABLE TO THE DAMN FLOOR!!!

u_u
I guess you can wait for the eventual Zelda announcement... and the release of X, and Bayonetta, and possibly even the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs. If none of that does it for you, then I don't know what will... we're not even sure what else there is to wait for at this point.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Kranky Kong Country with Donkey Kong as DLC. Console is saved.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
Kranky Kong Country with Donkey Kong as DLC. Console is saved.
Kranky Kong Kountry.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »
I almost went there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 12:04:20 AM »
Brandogg showing restraint when it comes to a possible offensive joke? What's the world coming to? I don't know what to believe anymore.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »
It's a dark time to be alive.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).