Author Topic: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.  (Read 44971 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »
That's no fun! Tell them to preorder it, or give you a note saying "Good for one Copy of Super Paper Mario (Wii). Reedemable April 9, 2007" and then they buy it for you on the day.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »
This does look like it'll be pretty good.

Probably going to pick this one up on release, unless I hear terrible reviews.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:49 AM »
YES!! Finally!! I've been waiting for this one for quite some time now.
April come soon!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »
OMGOMGOMGOMG

Alright, nothing amazing, but some new details are revealed, like the game is around 30 hours long and in the opinion of one Shane Bettenhausen, the Wiimote execution is "clever and intuitive." Hopefully more questions will be answered and more info will be revealed. I'll be keeping my eye on that blog and you should do likewise.  

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 10:18:22 AM »
27 hours for what is basically a platforming game is truly insane...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
Nazi Nintendo ordered Mr. Bettenhausen to take his blog down because it was breaking an NDA he signed, so that link on my previous post no longer works. That's what you get for promoting a Nintendo product that Nintendo themselves has said NOTHING about for over nine months now. Seriously, I don't get it.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2007, 05:20:30 PM »
He must have revealed something that he shouldn't have...

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Super Paper Mario 8.9

Not a bad score, but they missed the point on the graphics score.  I think it was deliberate that the graphics change from great in 2D to kind of barren in 3D because the world is paper, and when looking at paper sideways, as the game is done when in 3D, you won't be seeing all the pretty stuff you see while in 2D.

I guess some people just don't see artistic genius.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
8.9ed?

It seems like IGN's complaints were niggling - too much reading and weird sideways graphics?  The reading thing could be key if it really does break up the flow of the game like Matt claims, but I certainly didn't have a problem with it in the other Paper Marios.

All that said, an 8.9 is a 9 for all intents and purposes, and that's a good score.  I can't wait.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
Looking good with that score, a definite pick up.  Matt complaining about the text is nothing new for him.  He seems to have a general aversion to text in games  since he usually finds a way to complain about it, although usually he mentions how he wants voice acting instead.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »
Here's my favorite part of IGN's review, it says a lot for all the questions about Nintendo direction in gaming and why we should stop worrying so much:

Super Paper Mario proves the point that even as Nintendo makes titles like Wii Sports and Wario Ware, it hasn't forgotten about the hardcore gamer. The title not only harkens back to the days of the 2D platformer, but retains enough of the RPG mechanics to satisfy players who liked the previous outings in the franchise. And unlike some Wii titles, which can be completed in an afternoon, this undertaking will keep you busy for a good 20 hours, give or take -- incidentally, you'll find yourself challenged more and more as the quest progresses.

The quote speaks for itself.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2007, 11:12:37 AM »
I think the review sounds very fair, Matt LOVES the game even if he gave it an 8.9. That in itself should tell you something, and I cannot wait to get it!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
I have been holding myself not to watch any of the videos that have been popping around, and it seems to me that Tuesday is still a ways to come.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
I'm not surprised about the dialogue thing. Paper Mario games (Mario & Luigi too) are kind of bad for that. They go on and on and on. The graphics thing sounds stupid to me, though.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I have been holding myself not to watch any of the videos that have been popping around, and it seems to me that Tuesday is still a ways to come.

I've been doing the same, I've only seen a few still pictures of the game. Luckily I've avoided the temptation of watching videos because there seem to be some out there that show much later levels, which I would consider pretty big spoilers.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »
I loved the abundance of text in the previous Paper Marios, so I'm completely fine there...The 7.5 in graphics makes me laugh, though...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »
Boy by reading this thread you think an 8.9 was a 2 or something.  If we go by that criteria then there only been what 1 game worth a darn on the Wii.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »

Super Paper Mario proves the point that even as Nintendo makes titles like Wii Sports and Wario Ware, it hasn't forgotten about the hardcore gamer.

Screw you. This is coming from someone who can't even aim in Wii Tennis properly, you are NOT hardcore Matt. I don't understand how a game with lots of text is more hardcore than something with 100% gameplay. Terrible review, and two extra points should be docked for those god damn fairies who will probably end up ruining the game for me like Navi would have in TP if I couldn't turn it off. I'm also quite annoyed at the amount of spoilers in the review, then Matt has the nerve to say "oh I wont say anymore due to spoiler issues, tee hee!". Fall off a cliff.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

Super Paper Mario proves the point that even as Nintendo makes titles like Wii Sports and Wario Ware, it hasn't forgotten about the hardcore gamer.

Screw you. This is coming from someone who can't even aim in Wii Tennis properly, you are NOT hardcore Matt. I don't understand how a game with lots of text is more hardcore than something with 100% gameplay.

I think "hardcore" in this type of context generally refers to traditional style games.  Y'know, stuff like Mario and Zelda as opposed to Wii Sports and Brain Age.  "Hardcore" may not be the best word for it, but it seems to have stuck in a lot of places.
GOREGASM!

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
OMG, it's almost here!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
My (obviously definitive) review should be up shortly!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2007, 05:02:33 PM »
I can't believe everyone is so apathetic about this. It's SUPER PAPER MARIO!!! You should be starving yourself and counting down the seconds before you get it!

TrueNerd, are you with me?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

There, I quoted myself, can I join your club Icecold?
I'm getting quite impatient because of the few reviews that are out already, which give my subconcious the impression that the game is out already and then I'm in the state of mind "fvck, why haven't I bought this game already", can it get any crazier than that? Don't answer.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
I can't believe everyone is so apathetic about this. It's SUPER PAPER MARIO!!! You should be starving yourself and counting down the seconds before you get it!

TrueNerd, are you with me?
I've always been with you, Ice.

Really, there's only one question about this game: Is the best game that ever has been made, or is it the best game that ever WILL be made? 10/10 GOTY.