Author Topic: Is anybody having a hard time NOT sucking?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Is anybody having a hard time NOT sucking?
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
I seem to be really bad at this game unlike in brawl.  I am having a hard time finding my main character, in the 64 version it was Kirby, in Melee it was Fox.   Anyone got any insight in their experience?   Or advice? An example of my suck, is that I regularly lose matches between 2 other level 9s in a all out brawl, not team battle.

thanks
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Is anybody having a hard time NOT sucking?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
I seem to be really bad at this game unlike in brawl.  I am having a hard time finding my main character, in the 64 version it was Kirby, in Melee it was Fox.   Anyone got any insight in their experience?   Or advice? An example of my suck, is that I regularly lose matches between 2 other level 9s in a all out brawl, not team battle.

thanks

That may mean our battles will be good because I suck too. I just do random characters all the time lol.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
I think it's just an experience issue...The more you play, the better you'll get... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »
I think it's just an experience issue...The more you play, the better you'll get... =)

Or the more you get your ass handed to you the less you are likely to be a tourneyf**!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »
I finally kinda found my grove. After having 2 days off and extensively playing the game most of the day I now "get" most of the new mechanics and understand how old ones have changed.

It took me a bit but I am going to go solid with Kirby as my new main (64 was Pikachu and Melee was Link).

I think it just takes some time to find that character that matches your tastes. To be honest most of the characters in Brawl I find to be too sluggish with a lot of down time between attacks, Kirby is one of the few exceptions (to me and how I play).

My suggestion? Take some time and do practice mode and just have the computer do nothing. Try out some moves, combos, etc. Eventually you'll find one that just feels right and go with that =)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:21:05 PM »
If you measuring stick is computer controlled bots... I am CONFIDENT that the difficulty is ramped up in Brawl over melee....

I believe a 5-7 in Brawl is the equivalent of a 9 in melee.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
If you measuring stick is computer controlled bots... I am CONFIDENT that the difficulty is ramped up in Brawl over melee....

I believe a 5-7 in Brawl is the equivalent of a 9 in melee.

Very true.

I tried (for giggles) 3 level 9 comps TEAM battle. In Melee I would at least have a second or two to breath and perform attacks . . . in Brawl it's just . . . well it's like they just gang rape you.

The AI is a lot harder this time around with the level system.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »
Classic mode in normal dificulty is hard on melee. Good lord I think I had an easier time passing classic mode in melee than in Brawl. Not to mention how sluggish, as was mentioned also by mashiro, the brawl characters are compared to melee, except for Falcon which I recently unlocked and he seems to me pretty much the same but I have yet to test him against humans.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:26:02 PM »
From my experience you have to learn to let go everything you were used to in Melee.  None of my new mains play anything close to my past mains from both games.  Pit is mainly my biotch tho.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »
4 was keeping the pace when I played just recently, I'd agree with 5 being around a 9 in terms of smarts from Melee

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
I was never any good at Melee, and I think that helps me in Brawl. I don't have to adjust to the differences because I never played the game well enough for me to notice them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 05:17:55 AM »
I seem to be really bad at this game unlike in brawl.  I am having a hard time finding my main character, in the 64 version it was Kirby, in Melee it was Fox.   Anyone got any insight in their experience?   Or advice? An example of my suck, is that I regularly lose matches between 2 other level 9s in a all out brawl, not team battle.

thanks
play random characters

I am through and through a Snake player, but my "roster" includes Diddy, MetaKnight, Dedede, Link, Lucario, Samus, Ganondorf, Zelda (ahem, Shiek), and sometimes Pit. These are the ones I feel comfortable with. I always lose when I play as Lucas, Luigi, or Game and Watch.

Is it just me or is every one of Sonic's B button moves identical?
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »
Is it just me or is every one of Sonic's B button moves identical?

Homing attack is hilarious if you use it for the first time on someone in sudden death and they haven't had the pleasure of unlocking Sonic yet to know how they play :D

Otherwise they're all identical in attack "look" if you will (curled up ball).  Well except UP-B.  They do differer in function.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
Don't feel bad, I AM TEH SUCK! I suck so bad but then it hit me. I sucked in melee too. The learning curve for me from 64 to melee was about 6months. After that, my Fox was impossible.(Too bad he seems to be gimped in Brawl) I don't plan on being nice in Brawl until the summer,at the earliest.

DarkHeart is right, you must unlearn what you have learned!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »
I found that I'm best with Lucario and Lucas because of the little extra range.  I'm terrible with Yoshi everyone else is on fairly equal ground.  Though I mained Samus in Melee.  (I also can win a match or two against level 9 computers when my game is on.  Otherwise they smoke me bad.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
The only characters I used in Melee that I don't entirely suck with now are Zelda and Luigi. I played a friend yesterday and got my ass handed to me almost every time. There were a few occasions when I could eek a win using Marth or Snake, but he just couldn't touch me when I used Zelda or Luigi.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »
Honestly, I feel like the AI plays more like a person, and I find them easier now.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
Honestly, I feel like the AI plays more like a person, and I find them easier now.

No way, they still don't know to go to more walled-in areas when their percentage gets high, I can't get one wall jump, even if it is the only way to get to where I am, and they still don't seem to predict my actions.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
I always sucked at Smash Bros.  I play it for the fun of getting together with friends, even though they're all way better at me.  Every now and then they throw me a bone, you gotta let the cat catch the mouse every now and then or it gets bored, ya know.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »
You guys need more of these in your life:

1.  Reggie
2.  The Ultimate Warrior
3.  Pastamania

Your game will improve, srsly
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:54 AM »
I'm also not going to wow anyone with my Smash skills. I play one character well and only one character: Pikachu. And even there I just don't get any better, settling at something akin to "high mediocre."
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 03:33:41 AM »
Watching Live Free or Die Hard definitely helped my Mario.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
Told you it was an awesome movie.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!