Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 717900 times)

Offline chaingunsofdoom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #975 on: April 02, 2007, 06:42:05 AM »
Does anyone know how many game hours Dragon's Curse is supposed to take to complete? It seems really short from what I've seen around...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #976 on: April 02, 2007, 06:48:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Why is TMNT 600? I'm guessing it's Konami's choice, not Nintendo's. Seems like a really unfair money grab to me.
I'm hoping they charged an extra dollar because they tweaked the game a little to make it atually possible to beat.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 02, 2007, 06:56:16 AM »
Finally, StarFox64. Now Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger and all is well in VC land for me.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 02, 2007, 07:00:59 AM »
I'm getting Dragon's Curse. =D
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 02, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »
At 600 points even though I want TMNT I don't think I'll get it.  Now Star Fox 64 thats another story.  I love me da multi.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:58 AM »
Dear God,

Thank you for giving us a blessing in digital form. StarFox 64 Is proof that you love us.

In your name we pray, Amen!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 02, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »
Star Fox 64 won't be the same without the rumble

also, TMNT for 600 pts is bullcrap, considering the '89 turtles arcade version on xbox live arcade cost 5 bucks, and there was a lot more work they did to it to bring it to live arcade (like co-op over xbox live).

If anything, now TMNT is on there, I hope it means we will soon see turtles III and turtles IV on SNES
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 02, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
At 600 points even though I want TMNT I don't think I'll get it.  Now Star Fox 64 thats another story.  I love me da multi.

bah, TMNT is not that great really.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 02, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim

Agree but I still want to beat it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 02, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
I've been so busy with work I havn't been able to update the list on the parent post.  If anyone wants to compile the list up and pm me the list I'll edit the post.  I know I wont have time for it.
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 02, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
ahh, Star Fox 64, the first (and probably one of the only) 64 games i'll get on the vc.  I cant wait to get all those medals back.  Plus, that voice acting is classic.  I have no clue why TMNT is so expensive, but I wouldnt get it anyway.  I dont need those reoccuring dreams of diffusing underwater bombs again.  Why the hell is the seaweed electric?
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 02, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
Blah TMNT is a good example of a game that is hard because it was poorly designed. I remember a myriad of glitches in it (some of them were common wth NES games, such as dissapearing enemies), not to mention level design that was repetitive and felt completely random at times. Personally the diffusing of the bombs was minor compared to all the other problems the game had.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 02, 2007, 12:15:45 PM »
TMNT and Bionicle Heroes in the same week? So much for the Virtual Console boistering weak release weeks! It's double fisted awesome!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 02, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Why is TMNT 600? I'm guessing it's Konami's choice, not Nintendo's. Seems like a really unfair money grab to me.
I'm hoping they charged an extra dollar because they tweaked the game a little to make it atually possible to beat.

The game was possible to beat.  All you needed was a Game Genie and the code for unlimited energy and you were all set.  Of course you have to be careful when fighting Shedder because if he shoots you with his gun it will still kill you instantly.  That's because his gun kills you be turning you into a regular little turtle and so unlimited energy can't protect you from that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 02, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

The game was possible to beat.  All you needed was a Game Genie and the code for unlimited energy and you were all set.  Of course you have to be careful when fighting Shedder because if he shoots you with his gun it will still kill you instantly.  That's because his gun kills you be turning you into a regular little turtle and so unlimited energy can't protect you from that.

Haha, you also forgot one other part. I remember when I used Game Genie, I got to the part around the big mouser and had to be dang careful not to fall into the lava, because if you do you just sit in it for all eternity (or until you reset the game).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 02, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
Why does TMNT (NES) flicker soo much on certain parts of the screen, like when on the turtle van the energy square flicker, and sometimes so do the enemies? I don't remember it being like that back when it came out ages ago. I almost had a seizure, even though I'm not sensible to such flickering it is still annoying.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 02, 2007, 06:53:13 PM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim

Agree but I still want to beat it.

Wait?......can TMNT actually be beat, i mean without game genie?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 02, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
Theoretically, yes.

It's probably more expensive because of licensing fees or somesuch.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 02, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »
Poor Dragon's Curse is getting overlooked.

It is a fun game.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 02, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell
Poor Dragon's Curse is getting overlooked.

It is a fun game.

I actually bought Dragon's Curse with the last of my Wii points, it was either that or TMNT, and since I don't have much love for TMNT1 I thought I'd try something new.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 02, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »
I'm soooo getting Dragon's Curse! ... next time I get home to hook up to the internet. Dorm blocks it. /sad

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 03, 2007, 02:27:59 AM »
Star Fox 64 rules! Well, I wonder if April will see another N64 game. Probably not...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 03, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »
I think starfox is overrated but Dragon's Curse is interesting me.  If anybody already bought it talk about it.  I can't imagine I'm the only one who has no clue about tg16 games.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 03, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
Re: Dragon's Curse

I'm going to copy and paste my comments from over at CAG, but in short - it's like Zelda II/Symphony of the Night/Metroid - get abilities by morphing into other creatures to access new areas, buy equipment to increase your stats, probably about 10 hours of gaming or so.  I really recommend it.

Also, a Genesis sequel - "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" - is also coming to the VC, and I will get that one the second I can.

Also, quick edit: I mention a site to check out, and I doubt copying/pasting the posts from CAG brought it over, so here it is: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonder Boy was originally a sort of answer to Adventure Island.  In fact, the first one is damn near a ripoff, complete with scateboard and crap.  It's the Giana Sisters to Mario Brothers.

Anyway, after that one, it went in an entirely new direction, and gave Wonder Boy a sword.  So it became a side-scroller, but you had some RPG elements - you could get better armor, boots, helmets, increase your life, etc.

Originally they were just level based, so you'd get through a level, maybe get enough gold to upgrade yourself, kill a boss, and move on.

Then they switched formats into a Metroidvania sort of thing - you had areas to explore you could go back to, and if you got certain equipment, you could go back and get to new areas, etc.  

So the final games ended up being a lot like Zelda II, but with no overworld map - you walked where you wanted to go.  Eventually you coudl warp to different areas, swim underwater, etc.  You'd go to temples and kill boss monsters and all that sort of thing.

The Genesis version is the last one (that I know of) that came to the USA, but it's really great.  There's also a Sega Master System title where you could morph into different characters, and used them to get to various areas.

In all reality, the series became something that far outclassed (on the SMS) damn near anything the NES could really offer in terms of Metroidvania type games.  The SNES could answer this a little better, but they are still great games and really ought to be played.  

Anyway, I rented the Genesis one a long time ago and I don't think I ever finished it, so it will be a great title to download if it shows up.

Here's a good link with some info - http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/wonderboy/wonderboy.htm

I think the greatest thing about the games is that there is a huge amount of hidden stuff, which was virtually unheard of back in those days, and certainly didn't come in this quantity (Metroid notwithstanding, of course).  There's doors literally in the middle of nowhere you just have to push up at the right time to find.  Sometimes you'll be on a moving platform and find one!  And there's ways to get more cash out of monsters and hidden coins in the middle of nowhere as well.  So it forces you to constantly be searching.  

There's even sidequests that you can do in the midst of the game.  Again, this was all brand new at the time.  But the series is very overlooked so it's easy to understand why it's not getting enough praise.  I mean it's not the greatest game ever, but it's really fun and incredibly rewarding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon's Curse if the TG16 version of "Wonder Boy in Monster 3: The Dragon's Trap."

Think of it as a precursor to Symphony of the Night - you travel between castles, get new armor and swords, more life (hearts), etc etc. You can backtrack if you want as well. The big draw of the game was that you can transform into different creatures - so you have "Mouseman" form, "Hawkman" form, etc. These give you different abilities - Mouseman can walk on certain blocks (even upside down), Hawkman can fly, etc.

I was talking about the Wonder Boy series earlier in this thread (I think it was earlier in this thread), and this is one of the games I was talking about. The other, which is simply called "Wonder Boy in Monster World," is on the Genesis, and plays out similarly.

You can also think of it as a sort of Zelda II clone.

Anyway, I recommend them, and I will most certainly pick it up tomorrow. I would imagine you could get a good 10-12 hours out of it.

Here's a site with more information if you care to check it out. Be sure to check out page 2.

(And yea, I'm pretty sure that I talked about this earlier in this thread.)  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 04, 2007, 05:41:35 AM »
I'm intrigued.  Most of the TG16  games are priced to move in  my eyes so I'll probably pick this one up after I creamate Star Fox 64 again.