Author Topic: Evan_B's Recommended RPGs  (Read 7507 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Evan_B's Recommended RPGs
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 05:12:50 AM »
There's a couple of things Mass Effect did right though, I loved the backstories to the characters and they actually had meaningful quests to go along with them.  The main overall story to Mass Effect 2 was weak IMO and I would have to agree it was the weakest game in the series.

For the DLC stuff, it's mostly DLC for the 3rd game that was pretty decent. 

---------------------------

But if you really wanted an emotional game you should try Lost Odyssey on the 360.  Gameplay wise it's standard but there's some stories you'll find (mostly just written texts) that will leave you in tears.

--------------------------

If you wanted odd-ball humor you should check out Shadows Hearts series (mostly the 2nd game).

-------------------------

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
It's been a while. Time to gush about Vagrant Story!

I'm quite a fan of the "band of rogues" type of RPG, or any type of RPG that attempts to confine itself in setting rather than blow me away with set pieces and locales. I guess that's one reason I like Vagrant Story.

But then, there's the combat system. And dear lord, if there has ever been a combat system to love, it's Vagrant Story's. In some ways, it's an action RPG, with it's real time animations, range mechanic, and combo commands and interrupts. But it's also distinctly turn-based, creating a battle system that is very unique and rewarding. Layer the damage mechanics, weapon growth, and equipment durability atop that at you have an extremely deep gameplay experience.

BUT THEN there's a moody, gripping and bizarre narrative that will keep you guessing all the while. Vagrant Story exudes gloom and decay from the dialogue, to the environments, to the haunting soundtrack. It's honestly an unparalleled RPG, oozing originality and style in every way. Even the graphics, though certainly dated, add to the atmosphere and stand the test of time. I was absolutely floored when I began to delve deeper into this game and discovered something I didn't think possible on its original hardware, surprising and delighting at every turn. Also challenging- the game will make sure you learn it's mechanics in order to surmount it's obstacles.

Vagrant Story is, without a doubt, one of the best RPGs I have ever played. There is no question of that in my mind. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in the genre to play it, as it is different and exciting in ways not many other games are. That's all there really is to say about it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:20:01 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
Funnily enough, I actually have a copy of Vagrant Story, and have had it so long that I don't even remember where it came from. I've never played it though. How are the load times? I'm not sure I can stomach PSX games these days, especially since I get the feeling they'd be really ugly on an HDTV....

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »
I played it on a PSTV, and the game looks lovely despite the dated visuals, though I'm not sure if the game was upscaled for the Classics version.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:04 PM »
I would imagine those games are upscaled yeah, and if you're connecting the PSTV to your TV with an HDMI cable, that would also improve the visual quality. I'm also guessing that the PSN versions don't have load times like they did back on an actual PSX.