Author Topic: New Metroid Zero Info  (Read 4777 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Metroid Zero Info
« on: January 22, 2004, 06:27:51 AM »
Samus will relive her first adventure this February. Find out what the improvements are.

Source: Nintendo News Letter

Nintendo has just released some new info about their upcoming GBA title Metroid Zero. Scheduled to release this February, the game will be an updated remake of the original Metroid for the NES. Apart from improved graphics and sound, the game will have an expanded plot. While the basic story elements will be familiar to fans of the original, new cut-scenes have been implemented to bring the plot further to life. Also, new power-ups can be acquired - some of which stem from other installments of the series, while others - such as the Power Grip and the Zip Line - have never been seen before. What these do is still a mystery.

For more information, you can check out http://www.metroid.com/zeromission

Edit: Link fixed.  

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
RE: New Metroid Zero Info
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 07:22:10 AM »
I can't bloody wait, should be just what I need!
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:New Metroid Zero Info
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 07:25:47 AM »
I can't bloody wait either.

They better make it slightly better than the last one though. Less linear, less story.

Heh, I never thought I'd want a game to have less story.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 08:32:27 AM »
"Cut scenes"? Noooooooo!

BlackGriffen

Offline babaloulou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 09:28:59 AM »
------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:25:36 PM by babaloulou »
I'm sorry momma/I didn't mean to make you mad/But tonight, I'm crying in the closet.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 09:35:50 AM »
Fixed the link in Lasse's post.

I'm pumped about these new powers.  I was really disappointed in the lack of new upgrades in Fusion, even though there were some new intrinsic abilities like being able to hang on ledges.  It looks like even some of the recycled powers from other games have been tweaked in various ways for Zero Mission.

Also exciting is that since Zero Mission is based on the original game and therefore will probably reuse much of the old level designs and sequencing, we probably will get a more open, slower-paced experience than Fusion was.

By the way, we are going to have a ton of new information on Zero Mission next week, including impressions of the final version and a review before the ship date.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 09:37:49 AM »
Ahhh, nostalgia... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 09:56:27 AM »
Metroid: Zero Mission GET!

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »
I am all over this game when it comes out...I've wanted a Super Metroid quality remake of the first Metroid since...well, since Super Metroid. Now if they'll redo Metroid II, we'll be full-circle : )
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 04:11:42 PM »
Reminds me of the Kirby remake...

...whats next?

Must be Super Mario Advance 5: Super Mario Bros.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 04:18:10 PM »
Since the creator of Metroid has passed on, those that are carrying the metroid liscense now have to take it in other, subtle directions just as how Nintendo's other franchises evolved.

A little story/cutscene never hurt anyone. My guess is this title will bridge some gaps. As long as it doesn't hold your hand, it should be ok.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 05:03:46 PM »
Hmm I don't know if that is going to make it good enough for me to buy. Sure I love Metroid but N is just whorin' out remakes like crazy now a days. Aw I'll probably get it eventually anyway (for the collection).
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 05:23:47 PM »
I'm stoked because *SHOCKHORROR* I hated the original Metroid.  That's a series that gets better with age.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 05:28:51 PM »
The original Metroid was incredibly hard- I never actually finished because I just kept dying.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 07:38:55 PM »
I finished it several times. But it looks like I get to do it again for the very first time.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 06:23:58 AM »
The original Metroid was one of the hardest games I ever played. I did manage to beat it but not with everything, I didn't even find the screw attack. I just hope this time you will be able to combine power beams or at least switch between them instead of going back and forth.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 06:50:15 AM »
The first Metroid was the first game of its kind it was also one of the first games thaty not only allowed you to move freely in the horizontal plane (remember how you couldn't backtrack in SMB?) but elaborated on Kid Icarus' vertical scrolling levels allowing you to not only ascend but descend into the deeper darker depths of zeebes. Alot of you veteran gamers  probabally can reminisce with me- trying to play this game like a traditional side-scroller. After receiving this game I was kinda dissappointed (I  really wanted Kid Icarus) the first few times I played it I found myself dying  way too easy which caused me to allow this game to sit and gather dust.................. fast foward a few years. I was 8 or 9 years old
my parents went away on a business trip and left me completely alone (my Nintendo was my babysitter)
I had gotten tired of trying to escape minus world on SMB (25 times in two minutes yea right!) and needed a change, so I  popped in Metroid after  I realized that this game had (well) hidden powerups , I began exploring.By about 6:00 in the evening I had made it deep into Norfair. This was my first expeirence of a survival horror game . If you tried to correct your step on a small ledge after killing a huge Disega( i think that was what those side hoppers were called in Norfair) Another would pop up just as fast as you scroll the screen making my small fingers work at light speed. The music sent chills down my spine as nightfall hit . I remember taking a break and walking around my house with that music still playing it felt like my house was an extension of Zeebes but, the only enemies were the ghosts of my solitary paranoia I beat Metroid around 10:30 that night and it changed  my tastes for games forever .Prior to Metroid there were very few games that didn't require you just to get from point A to point B (besides zelda anyways) . I must admit that Metroid PRIME  made some of those paranoid emotions surface again ( the research facillities in phendrana drifts [!]) I am VERy intrested to see how they have remastered the great Gumpei Yokoi's masterpeice.  Now they just have to re-release all 4 prevoius metroids in 2.5D  on cube and i'll be able do die a happy man.
PS ... a new KID Icaraus is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DANGER TERROR
HORROR !!!!!!!!!
" $0m3 P3OpL3 ThiNk Th@ [PLayInG] vId3O GaM3$ Iz A wA$T3 oF TiM3......... hOw MuCh TiM3 Iz Wa$t3D Ju$t [WaTcHiNg] A TeLeVizi0N????"  - Max Billouin

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 07:34:49 AM »
Despite the fact that I own every Metroid game but the first one (I don't have an NES but I have played it via another method that I won't get into ) I have never beaten any of them because, well, I suck at beating the bosses.  I love the exploring gameplay style but I've always been bad with game bosses and sure enough there's always one that schools me everytime.

My big gripe with the original Metroid is the same gripe I have with a lot of NES games: the technical limitations make the game unnecessarily difficult.  Just like how it irritates the f*ck out of me that Link's sword has no range in The Legend of Zelda I can't stand how Samus is unable to shoot diagonally in Metroid.  That just makes the game brutally difficult because some of flying enemies come at you at an angle thus making it nearly impossible to shoot them.  With that technical limitation gone and with a map (another missing element that makes the original too hard) Zero Mission should make for a much more playable Metroid game.  I can't wait even though I'll likely get smoked by some boss I can't beat like always.

While I typically don't care for re-releases and remakes I think remakes of some of the best NES games for the GBA would be great.  Aside from Metroid I'd like to see remakes of Kid Icarus, both Zelda games, and maybe some more obscure stuff like Star Tropics.  Unlike SNES ports these games actually could use a redoing.  It would be nice if they included the originals too for comparison.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 07:35:07 AM »
4 previous Metroids? Do you count Fusion here or what?

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »
Well, Nintendo as well as other gaming companies had problems with people and emulators.  Whenever they asked someone why they used the emulator, the most common reply was that the great old games weren';t available anymore.  So, what better place to re-release games than on the GBA, bot only do people get the best old games re-made, the games are portable too.  Personally I look forward to every game they re-release.  I am especially looking forward to the megaman collection games being released.  The best games are the old one, and I can't wait until every game is eventually re-released...
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »
My usual beef with Nintendo's GBA re-releases is that they always make slight changes to the game.  Now in the case of Zero Mission it's cool because it's a complete remake.  However the GBA versions of A Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island are not full-on remakes but Nintendo still adds all these irritating changes like voice samples.  As a result the GBA version is not a full on remake and is also NOT the same game that was released on the SNES.  Therefore in order to play those games as they were originally played you still have to either use emulation or own the SNES version.

It also bugs me that we're expected to pay $30 for each Mario game seperately when ten years ago we could get four Mario games on one SNES cartridge.  If it's an old game I shouldn't be expected to pay full price for it.  They should come in collections like Midway Arcade Treasures or Sonic Mega Collection.  Those re-releases are amazing because not only are the games in their original form but you also get a whole bunch of them for the price of one.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2004, 10:55:43 AM »
they day they re-release mc kids is the day i shoot myself.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2004, 01:16:45 PM »
Metroid Fusion? Of course!!. Just to keep everything consistent .Also a gba veraion of Metroid 2 would be nice!

Yes the first Metroid had some control issues but really what games did'nt  back then?. (Even the first SMB had sluggish control) I mean were talking 1986- a time when if you fell down the same path that you traveled up, the screen wouldn't scroll and you would die. When I mentioned "Survival Horror" earlier,  a BIG part of that horror  WAS the lack of a diagonal shot  and unless you had the screw attack or the ice beam you would constantly be firing and backing up a little - only to scroll another copy of the enemy back on the screen. Back then you had to figure out alternatives to sloppy control, we are spoiled theese days !!. As for remakes, of course we want to see new franchises  but honestly theese companies know the have a "sure bet" releasing a revamped classic title.  Kid Icaraus is a title that I know everyone wants to see re-released , but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was trying to figure out a new way to play it. Really that game WAS a test of several ways to improve on the traditional side scroller. you can see Marios' influence, some early vertical scrolling even some Zelda-esque duengeon crawling. To bring it into the new day you would see a game that played very similar to the new castlevania on PSpoo (heavy 2.5d influence with some 3D deungeon exploration). Star Tropics would also bea great remake!!! Bring em' on!!!!!!!!!!
" $0m3 P3OpL3 ThiNk Th@ [PLayInG] vId3O GaM3$ Iz A wA$T3 oF TiM3......... hOw MuCh TiM3 Iz Wa$t3D Ju$t [WaTcHiNg] A TeLeVizi0N????"  - Max Billouin