Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!  (Read 38674 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« on: January 20, 2004, 05:44:17 PM »
New handheld system employs two LCD screens for new display possibilities.

Reported by Jonathan Metts

Source: Bloomberg
Link: "Nintendo Announces Dual-Screened Portable Game System"

Update: Nintendo NCL has revealed more information on the dual processors and screens in its Japanese press release.

The primary processor is based on the ARM9 architecture, and the secondary processor is based on the ARM7 architecture.  Which screens the two processors are coupled with is unknown.  Clock speeds have not been revealed, but according to ARM's website, the ARM7 family is capable of speeds ranging from 75 to 133 MHz, while the ARM9 family clocks from 185 to 230 MHz.  For reference, Nintendo and ARM's custom GBA CPU runs at 16.8 MHz.  The DS likely features highly customized versions of the processors, however, so these clock speeds should be taken as mere speculation.

The Japanese article also revealed that both screens will be back lit for displays superior to that of the GBA SP.

After months of teasing, Nintendo Company Ltd. today revealed the true nature of its new hardware platform.  The tentatively titled "Nintendo DS" is a portable gaming system whose main feature is a dual-screen setup.  (The "DS" likely stands for "Dual Screen".)  Nintendo hopes that this new layout will allow players to experience new types of gameplay.  The company gives the example of a soccer game in which the whole field is shown on one screen while the other screen focuses on a single player.  Apparently the system is not intended to be played by two people on a single unit; rather, a single player will be using both screens simultaneously.

There are currently no pictures and few details on the hardware, but Nintendo says the system features two 3-inch TFT LCD screens (each one the same size as that of the Game Boy Advance), separate processors for each display, and semiconductor (cartridge) game media that can be as large as 1 Gbit, considerably more data than is available in current GBA cartridges.

In Nintendo's announcement, NCL President Satoru Iwata made this remark about the new platform: "We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century."

The Nintendo DS is scheduled for worldwide launch by the end of 2004, and Nintendo says it is already working with third-parties to develop software for the machine.  PGC will have more information on this story as soon as possible.

NINTENDO ANNOUNCES DUAL-SCREENED PORTABLE GAME SYSTEM

"Mystery" Product to Launch Later This Year

REDMOND, Wash., Jan 20, 2004 – An unprecedented approach to video game play —holding two separate game screens in the palm of your hand — hits the scene later this year when Nintendo introduces a new portable game system, code-named Nintendo DS.

From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

Today's announcement is but a glimpse of the additional features and benefits that will be shown in full at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in May. Once fully revealed, players will see innovative advances in game interaction.

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explains Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

Nintendo DS features two separate 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit. It's scheduled to launch worldwide before the end of 2004.

In addition to Nintendo-developed software, the company is in discussions with third-party game developers around the world.

Nintendo DS will be marketed separately from the company's existing Nintendo Game Boy® Advance portable system and Nintendo GameCube™ home console.

Jonathan says: ...well then.  This is quite a surprise.  I can imagine all the gameplay possibilities, but it's hard to know what to think without at least a picture of the thing.  We don't even know how these screens will be arranged, or what buttons will be available, or how big the entire system is.  And I have to wonder how many developers other than Nintendo will actually use this technology as anything more than a gimmick.  But I'm optimistic and extremely curious.    
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 05:47:57 PM »
I usually go with the wait-and-see approach, but honestly I can't see why this is needed.  Why couldn't this be done using split-screen or Connectivity, rather than another piece of hardware?
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 05:50:10 PM »
Uh, two screens are better than one, right? RIGHT? I will hold my judgement until i see the actual system, but for now i'm not very excited at all. Oh well.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »
Pictures please! This thing better be damn sexy, I'm talking iPod sexy. That's a lot of space in the games, I hope they're not too expensive. Either way, the wait for E3 2004 just got that much more unbearable.

Offline Ecrofirt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 05:51:27 PM »
That's how they money.
If I had a nickel for every time I trailed off whi...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 05:52:12 PM »
Neato...Of course, I'm a ****ing Nintendo consumer whore...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mylasher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 05:54:41 PM »
Before I finished reading the article, I'd imagined two screens, head-to-head.  It's supposed to have dual processors?  Why?  Maybe the screens can tilt apart and another controller could be added?  That would be good.  Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »
I'll be interested to see how it controls. It could be good, but this can be done with connectivity, or even just splitting a T.V. into two screens aleady. The most important thing about this is image: Nintendo struggled long enough with the GBA before the SP was released, carrying around two screens at once will hardly help this. Still, it could be good, but I doubt people are going to go out of their way to buy another product with a selling point that seems more like a gimmick than something huge and completley original. Not to say that I doubt Nintendo's ability to make brilliant, original and intuitive games with this thing, though.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »
WTF
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 06:05:04 PM »
This reminds me of the double-screen old school X-Men arcade game.

In fact, I'm intrigued with a couple of potential uses. One could be rear-view in a racing game, an expansive but quick to access stat/item menu, or a co-op friend's screen in a game like Doom.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 06:06:10 PM »
So many questions, so few answers.

What does it look like?
How are the screens arranged?
What buttons does it have?
What connections does it have?
Can it link up for multiplayer?
Can two people play on the same unit?
Can it hook up to the GameCube?
Does it play Game Boy games?
Is it designed for 3D graphics?
How does adding an extra screen make gaming simpler?
What games is Nintendo developing for this thing?
Will third-parties actually use it for creative purposes?

More to come.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 06:07:13 PM »
Maybe it will be in the shape of a triangle? Or a Pyramid? Which.. would be hard to carry around, but then they could call it Triforce! Or not...

I wonder how this will utilise existing software?

Originally posted by: Professional 666
WTF

You have captured my feelings perfectly.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 06:07:50 PM »

ok, FIRST everyone whines about how connectivity sucks and how its useless, and now you're pointing out that perhaps this machine could be done by connectivity as well?

Make up your minds!!! Besides, this is completely different, its portable ;-)

it has potential, i'll give nintendo that...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 06:08:28 PM »

Originally posted by: mylasher
Before I finished reading the article, I'd imagined two screens, head-to-head.  It's supposed to have dual processors?  Why?  Maybe the screens can tilt apart and another controller could be added?  That would be good.  Maybe I'm just dreaming.

That's what I'm thinking; imagine portable, multi-player FPS (connect two Nintendo DS' together so each has their own screen, and a separate screen for radar).  But through reading the article I kept thinking that this sounds like a creative successor to GBA.  I know it's supposed to be the "third pillar", but if the Nintendo DS is reasonably priced and takes off, it sort of replaces the GBA as the portable system of choice.  This is just a shot in the dark and based on nothing but my own assumptions, but it seems like they're holding off on saying this is the successor to GBA to avoid killing GBA sales.  I just don't see owning two portable gaming systems from the same company as being reasonable.  

So I'm holding off until E3, but right now I'm assuming this is the GBA II with an added twist of a second screen (this really intrigues me as it opens up worlds of possibilities).  I believe Nintendo learned something from the Virtual Boy, so they should know hardware won't sell as a gimmick alone.  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »
Uhmm right..... This is the furthest thing from what anyone has said.  And as usual with the overhyped nature of everything on the internet...I'm left disappointed.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
another thing

if it has two screens, how can it NOT be badass? c'mon, I dont know if even nintendo can screw that design up.

just dont make it purple! BAH!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 06:13:11 PM »
You shouldn't be...yet...Wait until we get more details...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 06:14:16 PM »
In any case, Nintendo definitely has something to compete with the PSP now.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 06:14:24 PM »

Will third-parties actually use it for creative purposes?

Yeah, im worried Nintendo will be the only company who will actually use this to it's full potential. We'll see though.

Imagine playing two minigames at a time in Wario Ware, double the insanity!

Oh, and, PSP killer.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 06:14:38 PM »
Imagine 2 GBA SPs hooked together. There is no way this thing will be in the same price range as the GBA. I'm thinking this is Nintendo's answer to PSP, which means it will be a high-end product to keep it from wrekcing the GBA market. Also look at this quote

Today's announcement is but a glimpse of the additional features and benefits that will be shown in full at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in May.

Hmmm, this makes it sound like it will do more than play games. More fuel to add to the PSP argument.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 06:15:02 PM »
I'm trying not to be, but the idiot inside me had metroid prime 2 all hyped up with a fully motion sensing head set...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 06:16:42 PM »
I seem to remember having mused about the possibilities of dual-screen gameplay on these very Forums quite a while back now.  I too, don't know why we need another piece of hardware to make this possible, but at least Nintendo is thinking along the same lines.

Now, think about what might be possible with an LCD screen standard. Suppose the new console has the horsepower support video dual outputs. All those games that use the GBA as a secondary screen could now use the built-in LCD as that secondary screen. Now all those games that would have limited thier sales to just those that bought the screen can be used by the entire installed base. That's exciting. I'm not saying that this is what's going to happen, but the possibility is pretty neat.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 06:17:22 PM »
It could be awesome if they pull it off right. That is if they are capable of pulling it off right. I have no doubt there is some goodness in it.

POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 06:20:01 PM »
Do we know when we are gonna get a picture of it?  Is this gonna be a next couple days wait? or an all the way till fricken e3 wait?
---------------------

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »
I'm not disappointed at all. the only thing I would really demand of this thing is plenty of support and functionallity, i need a damn reason to own it. if there are no games and the thing is butt ugly then hell no I don't want it, but after thinking about it more completly i think this thing has some definate potential and i think that Nintendo is planning more for this thing then they are leading us to believe.