Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 722179 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 09, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell
Weak for the following reasons:

1) No Paper Mario/Mario RPG to coincide with SPM
2) Namco will release a retro collection that will probably have Galaga in it
3) Alex Kidd is on the PS2 Genesis collection, along with 20+ other games for $20

Oh well.

I am not to surprised.  That would have been perfect complementary marketing.  So of course Nintendo botched it.  Anyway we already got Star Fox 64 this month so that axes any other N64 game.  Though If I was Nintendo I probably would have release Paper Mario this week and Star Fox 64 next month.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1026 on: April 09, 2007, 06:59:39 AM »
They want people out buying the new game (gotta do that later...), I don't see a problem.  I thought this was consensus among the forum, anyhow?  They save the good popular VC games for times when new releases are scarce.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 09, 2007, 07:05:15 AM »
Listen to the plant!  Two Paper Marios in one week would be a waste of time.  Nintendo should have considered releasing the original a couple of weeks ago.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 09, 2007, 07:47:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Blue Plant
They want people out buying the new game (gotta do that later...), I don't see a problem.  I thought this was consensus among the forum, anyhow?  They save the good popular VC games for times when new releases are scarce.

By that logic why did we get Star Fox 64 with Paper Mario coming the next week?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Luffy1Piece

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:11 AM »
1. Alien Crush
2. Beyond Oasis
3. Bomberman '93
4. Bonk's Adventure
5. Chew Man Fu
6. Comix Zone
7. Contra III
8. Donkey Kong Country
9. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
10. Dragon's Curse
11. Ecco the Dolphin
12. Excitebike
13. F-Zero
14. Gunstar Heroes
15. Kid Icarus
16. Kirby's Adventure
17. Mario Kart 64
18. Military Madness
19. New Adventure Island
20. R-Type
21. R-Type III
22. Ristar
23. Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
24. Sim City
25. Soldier Blade
26. Solomon's Key
27. Sonic the Hedgehog
28. Star Fox 64
29. Streets of Rage
30. Super Castlevania
31. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
32. Super Mario 64
33. Super Mario Bros.
34. Super Mario World
35. Super Star Soldier
36. Tecmo Bowl
37. The Legend of Zelda
38. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
39. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
40. Toe Jam & Earl
41. Wario's Woods

The above 41 games are all generally well regarded and are all already up on the Virtual Console. Unless you've downloaded all of the above and have played through them to completion I see no reason to complain. Especially when you consider that we still have 3 Mondays left in April and that we're likely to see Zelda II, Punch Out!!, Wonderboy in Monster World, Vectorman, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Bonk's Revenge before the month is over. The Virtual Console already has a better line-up than many consoles have in their entire lives and it's not even been six months yet.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 09, 2007, 08:15:08 AM »
Unless you've downloaded all of the above and have played through them to completion

Or did so on another system already or just aren't interested in the genre/game...

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1031 on: April 09, 2007, 05:34:44 PM »
I agree, people need to stop complaining about the VC releases being too slow, too mediocre, etc etc.  I don't even have time to play the Wii or virtual console games I have purchased.  If what has been released for the Virtual Console or the Wii is not enough for you, then you seriously need to get a life.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #1032 on: April 14, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »

If what has been released for the Virtual Console or the Wii is not enough for you, then you seriously need to get a life.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »
Not that I own a Wii (dammit), but I don't see how being a discerning customer who wants to wait until what they feel is a game really worth spending comes out doesn't "have a life". This is, of course, playing devil's advocate, as it's a pretty good list at the moment. I would question the person who'd actually buy all 41 games in the first 6 months, as they would be insane.

Releasing Paper Mario at the same time as Super Paper Mario makes no sense and might even have taken momentum out of SPM's sales. It's not like the average consumer doesn't know the two games aren't the same thing. And...$5 for Galaga is a total rip-off. Why don't they have a discount "cheap arcade port that nobody remembers came out for the NES" price? Like, a dollar?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 14, 2007, 11:51:07 PM »
Dude. GALAGA is WORTH it. It was the best part of the original Tekken, and that was just ONE Galaga bonus stage! OH god I still plunk quarters just to play that game in arcades these days...

I had to buy Centipede for the GBA to stop that addiction, maybe now this will save me from a similar habit.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: April 15, 2007, 06:41:24 AM »
VC reviews have been really unreliable. First I trusted NWR on Kid Icarus and never felt so jipped of $5 in my life...and then I trusted everyone on Beyond Oasis which is ok but not worth $8. Only Castlevania and Bomberman have been worthwhile. Now I'm debating whether I should risk it on Dragon's Curse or play it safe with Link.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 15, 2007, 06:57:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Dude. GALAGA is WORTH it. It was the best part of the original Tekken, and that was just ONE Galaga bonus stage! OH god I still plunk quarters just to play that game in arcades these days...

I had to buy Centipede for the GBA to stop that addiction, maybe now this will save me from a similar habit.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

You're right, it is pretty sweet. Maybe I was jaded by the fact that I got it and a bunch of other arcade games for about $5 each as part of Return of Microsoft Arcade over a decade ago, so the fact that it still costs that much when The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time costs only three dollars more strike me as strange. Maybe Galaga Arrangement would be worth the price tag; I'll always love it because Namco Museum's infinite continues allowed me to actually finish it.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 15, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
Can you  save in SF64??!?!??!  (on the VC.)

I don't think I can play it in one sitting.  And I don't see a save option.  And the VC doesn't save the state of this game (and maybe all N64 games.)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:24 AM »
I've decided that, at long last, I'm fed up with the VC releases. I can understand not having an N64 release each week, but the lack of SNES games is appalling. It's time to start releasing the quality. And I want a refund for Kid Icarus, did I mention that?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:31 AM »
I was all set to pre-emptively whine about VC Monday, but Artimus beat me to it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline joedick

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 16, 2007, 06:20:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
I've decided that, at long last, I'm fed up with the VC releases. I can understand not having an N64 release each week, but the lack of SNES games is appalling. It's time to start releasing the quality. And I want a refund for Kid Icarus, did I mention that?

The Wii will probably have a lifespan of about 5 or so years. We're only about 5 months in. If, for some reason, you don't think there are any worthwhile games on the Virtual Console yet, I'm sure at least one will come in the next 220 or so VC Mondays we have left.

And people have lost a lot more than $5 on games they bought and didn't like, so I think you're doing alright. Maybe retro gaming just isn't for you.

(BTW....if you were being sarcastic, then I'm sure it still applies to a few other people. I can necer tell with the sarcasm on this board anymore!!)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 16, 2007, 06:45:49 AM »

Originally posted by: joedick

Originally posted by: Artimus

The Wii will probably have a lifespan of about 5 or so years. We're only about 5 months in. If, for some reason, you don't think there are any worthwhile games on the Virtual Console yet, I'm sure at least one will come in the next 220 or so VC Mondays we have left.

And people have lost a lot more than $5 on games they bought and didn't like, so I think you're doing alright. Maybe retro gaming just isn't for you.

(BTW....if you were being sarcastic, then I'm sure it still applies to a few other people. I can necer tell with the sarcasm on this board anymore!!)

Your name is appropriate. I've owned every Nintendo system ever, so I don't think the problem is 'retro gaming', thank you very much. The problem is that the selection of N64 and SNES games is paltry at best, horrid at worst.  At this rate of 1 good SNES a month or less we'll have about 50-60 good SNES games in 5 years. Half of the games worth having or less.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 16, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
I agree, people need to stop complaining about the VC releases being too slow, too mediocre, etc etc.  I don't even have time to play the Wii or virtual console games I have purchased.  If what has been released for the Virtual Console or the Wii is not enough for you, then you seriously need to get a life.

Lets also not forget that VC already has more games on it than Xbox Live Arcade, and it had about a year headstart
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 16, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit

Lets also not forget that VC already has more games on it than Xbox Live Arcade, and it had about a year headstart

I don't want MORE games, just more GOOD games. And a better balance of systems. I had no issue with it at first but it's getting annoying now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 16, 2007, 09:57:39 AM »
So apparently some games came out today.  I hear you get to punch a white Mike Tyson in the face.  Money.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 16, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »
This is the version that stars "Mr. Dream."  There's no Mike Tyson in this one.

Edit: Though it seems  that Mr. Dream may basically be a white version of Tyson.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 16, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
Same Game though right?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1047 on: April 16, 2007, 02:09:14 PM »
Mr. Dream's less scary that Tyson.

Good GOD Myke Tyson freaks me out... O.O
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 16, 2007, 02:15:57 PM »
From what I've read, yes.  There are three versions of Punch Out that appeared on the NES.  One with Mike Tyson, one with the same final boss as the arcade version (Though it seems this version may have been a limited run, reward-type catridge for some NP related event), and a third, produced when Nintendo lost a lawsuit, or something of this nature, and had to forfeit the rights of Mike Tyson, so they made a few cosmetic changes, and renamed him Mr. Dream.

The version released today seems to be the third version.  As far as I can tell, basically it's the same game as Punch Out featuring Mike Tyson, only a white dude named Mr. Dream is Mike Tyson.

I would rather fight Rocky, but I guess the devs knew that he'd be impossible to beat.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 16, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
From my understanding, it's not as dramatic as all that. Nintendo had to renogitiate the rights to use Mike Tyson's image when they planned to rerelease Punch-Out!! around 1990, but by then Tyson had already lost his championship status (this was before the rape trial which most people incorrectly think was the reason behind his removal from the game). Thus, they took Tyson out, and instead of making yet another version that would be automatically dated by whoever was champion at the time, they decided to make up a fictional character, Mr. Dream, to take the place as the final boss.