Author Topic: *Warning* Disaster Area *Hard Hat Required*  (Read 9376 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
*Warning* Disaster Area *Hard Hat Required*
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »
Question - if I can connect at a speed of about 450 - is that fast enough for DS/Wii Gaming?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:14:45 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Connection Speeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »
Could you post the unit there?  I won't know the answer, but I do know that the unit is necessary.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »
nevermind...  I did some speed tests at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and I'm connecting faster with this method than my normal method.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
Question - if I can connect at a speed of about 450 - is that fast enough for DS/Wii Gaming?

Two things you need to consider with a connection:

1. Bandwidth - "how much *stuff* can i send at once".
Measured in bits per second.
The higher this number is, the better it is for downloading data. For games I don't believe it to be as critical. Maybe someone can pull some numbers out of the air about a good bandwidth, because I haven't really cared about it.
And the data sent down the wire don't match directly with data stored on your computer, but you can get a fair idea of the real data being sent.
For example, my current connection has a bitrate of 512kbps, but when I'm downloading my data rate sits at 50-51kB/s (mostly because of parity bits in the data stream).

2. Latency - "how long does *stuff* take to reach its destination and return to me".
Measured in seconds if you suck, but generally milliseconds.
You want this number to be zero, but due to the speed of light being so slow currently you're gonna notice it when you're talking to hosts around the world.
To see this in action, do a traceroute from your computer (you can even do this from your Wii Browser Channel, google it). The traceroute asks for a destination host and will then display the steps taken to reach the destination, and the latency between you and each step.
For example, I want to know the latency between myself and NWR. It only takes me about 40ms to reach a router in Sydney, but the next router (across the Pacific, probably) takes 190ms. So the distance is going to kill you no matter what.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
There is so much wrong in this thread it should be labeled a disaster area....

Speed of about 450??  Bandwidth in bps?? kb and kB in the same sentence... a single bit as the major cause of overhead.... speed of light to slow...

Not to mention that all these NAT boxes seem to kill ICMP messages these days so good luck using ping or traceroute...

Edit: Heh... "*Warning* Disaster Area *Hard Hat Required*"  Nice one... I approve
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:31:09 PM by Shecky »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: *Warning* Disaster Area *Hard Hat Required*
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Seattle, WA Server
BTDUN - Download: 483 kbps; Upload: 113 kbps
USBDUN - Download: 543 kbps; Upload: 116 kbps
DSL - Download: 704 kpbs; Upload: 135 kbps

My USBDUN speed dropped about 1/2 way today... I wonder if it's still good enough.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:26:53 AM »
Tweaked some settings, this is what I'm getting now...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Seattle, WA Server
BTDUN - Download: 485 kbps; Upload: 82 kbps
USBDUN - Download: 1259 kbps; Upload: 124 kbps
DSL - Download: 720 kpbs; Upload: 135 kbps

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:42 AM »
What was the point of all this?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:53:31 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:47:38 AM »
Nonono.. it's all honest - I just wanted to make sure this particular method I'm hoping to use to connect will work for my FaceBall event. :)