Author Topic: Will it be called the Nintendo Revolution?  (Read 22964 times)

Offline PowerHair

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Will it be called the Nintendo Revolution?
« on: April 09, 2005, 07:52:31 PM »
...as far as I know only the Nintendo DS has kept its codename. Will Nintendo stick with the Revolution as its name or change to something stupid?

I personally believe The Revolution is an undeniably cooler name than say PS3.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
RE: Will it be called the Nintendo Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 07:56:45 PM »
The DS' code name was Nitro, so it definately changed. The Revolution sounds fine to me, but I'm not fussed.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 08:45:45 PM »
I want Starcube back guys...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Will it be called the Nintendo Revolution?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 08:50:20 PM »
I have the perfect name.

The Reggie.  

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 09:01:06 PM »
I think "Nintendo Revolution" sounds pretty cool.  It has a real comeback sound to it.  The name screams "Nintendo's back".  Of course the name will sound really silly if it fails to catch on.  It's a name that suggests something pretty major so it carries some pressure to deliver but it's a pretty cool name.  It sounds pretty adult which is good for Nintendo.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
Super Nintendo.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 11:08:07 PM »
I still think they should go with the whole retro name (and design lol).  They should call it NE5 bringing it back to the NES roots while still acknowledging its current generation N5.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Truthliesn1seyes
I still think they should go with the whole retro name (and design lol).  They should call it NE5 bringing it back to the NES roots while still acknowledging its current generation N5.

No numbers!  I hate that sony just numbers off their systems, it's so unorigional.  The only people that can get away with numbering things is Led Zeppelin, because they rock.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 01:00:54 AM »
Well if you think about it, the number thing is just as bad as 64 or Super.  Nintendo even went and used part of their console title for their games also as if we didn't already know it was for that system.  Super Nintendo had Super Mario Bros, Super Metriod, Super Mario Kart etc... Nintendo 64 had Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Ogre Battle 64 etc.   The number thing isn't so bad for now (it'll get bad if they keep at it for generation to generation much like sequals just start to look bad once they have 3+ numbers after the titles).  In the case the N5 would mark Nintendo's 5 generation in consoles.  It'll emphasise Nintendo's long lasting presence in the industry that many mainstream seem to look past.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 04:03:55 AM »
It has to be a name where you can say: Hey, you wanna play some _____ for awhile?
GameCube works, PS2 works, XBox works, Revolution doesn't really work quite as well. Paired to make Nintendo Revolution does sound pretty cool to me though. But alone, it doesn't sound like a game system.

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 08:04:40 AM »
I like the name it dosent sound very catchy like thepoga said but i'd stick with it.  If they change it the real name would havta be something very smooth.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »
Well, poga, people just say, "Hey, you wanna play some Nintendo?" anyway and they still (probably) will.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 09:30:46 AM »
wanna rev up?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 09:33:02 AM »
Nintendo Revolution is starting to stick with me. It grew on me just like Sega DreamCast(Greatest Name Evar!!!). It really all depends on what the system can do. Say if it plays HD_DvD's or Blu-Rays, then it really should be called The Nintendo Entertainment System(TNES). Ever since I heard the "rumor" of a Nintendo/Apple partnership, I dreamed of a cross console/iMac or better yet an iPod version of the DS but I have a better chance of selling snow shovels in Cuba. Anyhoo, Rev is O.k. with me. They could call it "SuperFunBox256dsa" and I'll still buy one the day it launches @ midnight.

... a rose by any other name...  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »
I think Nintendo really ought to nail a brand name they can hang on to for a few generations.  It saves a lot of marketing time when you can just refer to something as the new PlayStation or the new Game Boy, and Nintendo needs that kind of recognition with their home consoles.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 09:04:48 AM »
That's something they should consider doing when they end the current generation in the lead.  When there's as much negative stigma associated with your brand name as there is with GameCube it's usually better to start fresh.  Otherwise, people who wrote off GameCube as kiddie might automatically write off GameCube 2.

As an example, look at the NES - SNES relation.  Nintendo won the 8-bit generation, and therefore kept the same name for the 16-bit generation
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline PowerHair

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »
...but then in a few generations time it will be PS5, Xbox 4, and ReggieStar 3 and it looks like Nintendo is behind.  

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »
"ReggieStar"
Wow...
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »
engh, sony will probably stop numbering their playstaions after 4. By then it'll be Playstation 2020 and Xbox Xtreme.
And Nintendo does have a consistent brand name for their home consoles: 'Nintendo'. They don't need anything else because, unlike Sony and Microsoft, making videogame consoles is the primary thing Nintendo does.
'yes, but Nintendo has negative press surrounding it! They need a new brand name!'  No, they need to change the negative press, which is what I think they're trying to do with Nintendo DS and Nintendo Revolution.

That's something they should consider doing when they end the current generation in the lead. When there's as much negative stigma associated with your brand name as there is with GameCube it's usually better to start fresh. Otherwise, people who wrote off GameCube as I LOVE HALO 2 might automatically write off GameCube 2.

Except they can't do that next time either because 'Revolution 2: this time 2x as revolutionary!' sounds silly.
Right now it doesn't look like Nintendo wants to create a new home-console franchise name. Nintendo's names are too specific: unless they want to make another cube-shaped system, another dual-screen system, or another 'revolutionary' system, they're out of luck next time around.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 03:02:28 PM »
I like Nintendo Revolution.  Picture this, everytime someone goes to the store to buy one, the could be saying:  "I'd like a Revolution please."  Just bout gives me goosebumps saying that in my head.

The name could definitely work for the next gen coming up, but they would have to pick something else for the generation after that.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 08:16:08 PM »

I like Nintendo Revolution. Picture this, everytime someone goes to the store to buy one, the could be saying: "I'd like a Revolution please."

*Awful NOA commercial plays in Bloodworth's head.  

Let's not please.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline wushupants

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »
i dunno about revolution... it's not catchy enough. makes my tongue ache. i remember that nintendo "nexus" system that went all over the web and that was easy to identify with... although it doesn't sound much like nintendo but, it's ok. and have any of you seen that concept art of this "nintendo 21" shizzle? that wasnt bad... but people will be like "whoa! n64 is better than the new nintendo console??" lol, ok ill stop.
5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions...
__   __   __   __   __   __   __   __

The prophecies are coming to pass... the end is almost at hand... are you ready for it?... where will you spend the rest of eternity?

Offline wushupants

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 08:55:09 PM »
the revolution should be officially renamed: the SonyMicrosoftDestroyer

hands down, this is the best name ANYONE can come up with.
5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions...
__   __   __   __   __   __   __   __

The prophecies are coming to pass... the end is almost at hand... are you ready for it?... where will you spend the rest of eternity?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 10:50:35 PM »
What's this Nintendo 21 stuff?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 12:07:20 AM »
Nintendo 21 was a rather large rumor that came from this guy in some forum. The thing is this guy's track record when it comes to Nintendo was pretty damn good so folks seemed to take heed to his hush-hush and looky-looky info he had. If you're lookin for details then I have no idea. Tell you what I'll do. I will go ask my reverse credible source about this and whatever she says then the complete oppisite mush be true.

Here's looking at you Sherri, may we all learn from what you don't know.

The word Revolution will stick in some kinda way. More than likey part of the ad campaign and slogan. Something like this...

"On Sep 15th 2006,  Evolution has a Revolution( you see every Nintendo console morph in to the next until we see the new system for like a quick 2secs)"
In terms of looks, this system has got to be the Zexiest system to every grace God's earth. Although I would love if it looked like a NES. That would be the best thing and they decide to just call it The Nintendo.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130