Author Topic: Anyone else experiencing terrible online lag?  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Anyone else experiencing terrible online lag?
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
The matches against Dirk last night had some lag to them but were tolerable, but I tried to jump into a match with Svevan (in Oregon) and I had at least a .75-1 second delay on every action.

Is ANYONE else having problems like these with friend battles?

I need to know if this is a universal issue I can expect Nintendo to fix or if I need to tear my ISP a new one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:43:23 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline sactiik

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else experiencing terrible online lag?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »
I had super lag 10 sec delays using T1

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
Well, that makes me feel a bit better.

Nintendo may make it better, but Verizon won't lift a finger for damn certain.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »
If you guys want to troubleshoot connections... consider your provider over the type.

Having a fat pipe doesn't really mean much here.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »
I'm glad you've read the other threads where there've been posts about speeding up online matches.  It's worked for me, the issue for me has been getting connections.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:38:02 AM »
I tried to jump into a match with Svevan (in Oregon) and I had at least a .75-1 second delay on every action.

My best friend lives in Washington. D=
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 02:25:20 AM »
I'm glad you've read the other threads where there've been posts about speeding up online matches.  It's worked for me, the issue for me has been getting connections.

The game I got into with Svevan was when I was home alone and there were no other computers on in the entire house and it was pretty awful for lag.

Unless someone is downloading something, it shouldn't be an issue, really.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
My best friend lives in Washington. D=

Yeah, I have a buddy out in California I'm never going to be able to play against reliably.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »
For the umpteenth time.  Other computer downloading shouldn't ever matter.

Every broadband internet connection USUALLY has at least 6 times the down pipe that it does the up pipe.  Therefore, your opponents up pipe is most likely the bottleneck here... that or Nintendo's servers processing all the info.

Turning everything off in your house and not using a wavebird is what I would like to call the placebo effect. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:51:55 PM »
A bittorrrent with uncapped DL has been known to slaughter my Team Fortress ping, and if it's uploading as well (most bittorrents usually do), that can cause problems.

The other real issue for me is that I just recently switched to wired because the wireless in my area has so much inteference (with a shielded cable, meaning it blocks outside signal from reaching the wires within).

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
I guess my point was that an idle machine on your network could NEVER use up all your down bandwidth if you have a broadband connection.  If you are doing a bunch of different downloads and they are distributed, yeah you can fill your pipe.

Also, uncapped uploads on torrents will fill your up pipe quicker that evar.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
Agreed.

Idle machines are not the culprit here: Nintendo's servers are.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
This game is 8 months too early.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »
Agreed.

Idle machines are not the culprit here: Nintendo's servers are.
Besides Spectate and Match Info I don't think there are servers involved.  I really think that once you start battling its peer to peer.  Though I haven't seen any official documents stating how it actually works.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
Strikers and I think also Battalion Wars were very laggy right when they came out and then it got better, the same will probably happen with Brawl, and the same will happen a month and a half from now with Mario Kart.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
I think the peer to peer depends entirely upon whether or not the stream needs to be proxied. That's how Gamespy is able to traverse firewalls which would otherwise make it impossible to join games inside of networks with security on them.

This means that Gamespy's servers ARE still in the loop but to what extent I know not. I'd guess the extent is "enough to cause lag for players", since it would explain why two friends can be only a few miles apart and still have lag in their matches.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I just attempted my first online match with strangers.  It took over a minute and a half to "play" the first 16 seconds.  After that I was dropped from the match.  :(
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »
I've had no problems, but of course I've only been able to find fellow fighters twice.

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »
finally got to play brawl online instead of the slideshows earlier today, though it takes forever to get into a match

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:03 AM »
Why are the people I put in my Friend List still appear as "unregistered"? I know a few have added me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 01:55:39 AM »
Why are the people I put in my Friend List still appear as "unregistered"? I know a few have added me.

From what I read, the only way the game registers you is if both you and the friend are online at the same time. So for example, if you add me to your friend list and I add you we both have to be online before the game can register us.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »
That is an intensely stupid system.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »
The whole system is terrible.

The fact that we need to resort to online applications like the friend finder to find local players to play against without lagging out is insane.

I wouldn't be so hard on it except for the fact that the online in Strikers was vastly superior to this one in many ways (like inviting people to play, sending messages in the friend list and being able to see latency while rejecting).

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »

I have added you, I'll check when I get home.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »
Japanese devs just don't get it.  They also don't speak english, so they wouldn't know how to properly interpret REGGIE'S BADASS AMERIKAN ONLINE WII SETUP GUIDE FOR NON-ENGLISH PEOPLES.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.