Author Topic: RE:Experts Sound Off On DS vs. PSP  (Read 3062 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Experts Sound Off On DS vs. PSP
« on: August 18, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »
Handheld developers and gaming journalists weigh in the contenders for the first serious handheld system war.

The upcoming launches of Nintendo DS and Sony's PSP handhelds will feature major competition for the first time in the handheld gaming market.  Our friends at GameCube Advanced have rounded up commentary on the impending system war from a number of industry experts, including experienced handheld developers and gaming journalists.  PGC's own Jonathan Metts is included in the roundtable.

The "three pillars" system will not work...you can't segment the market that much. You can't compete with yourself like that, especially not with a very serious competitor entering the ring with a technologically formidable system like the PSP.  -Jonathan Metts

For other insightful and incendiary views from developers such as Tantalus, Pocketeers, Shin'en, and Paragon 5, as well as from journalists such as Steven Kent, Craig Harris, and "Fargo", head on over to the full article.  

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 04:23:05 PM »
Honestly, I didn't think the journalist/developer comments added much to the article at all- the real meat was on the author's part. The comments just reiterated either what's already been said or what is common sense anyway (or were completely looney). None are terribly insightful or original and don't progress the tired DS vs. PSP debate at all. Ah well.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
RE: Experts Sound Off On DS vs. PSP
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 07:20:06 PM »
I hate to say it, but the one and only thing which matters in any console war is software. If there's one thing Sony has done, it's shown that sheer number of titles is what makes a system a best-seller, coupled with a few massive hits here and there.

The first time this happened (N64 vs. PSX) it was exactly this scenario: lots of software on Sony's side and Square's support for the PSX. This time around, the DS has Square's support (from what has been said thus far) and the DS certainly SEEMS to have a plethora of titles, most of which are original games, and certainly more so than the PSP currently has lined up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to underestimate Sony, but I haven't seen nearly the software support for the PSP that the DS has been shown. If there's one thing I had to call it on, it'd be software. I think the whole double screen idea was a gamble, but judging by the fact that developers are leaping on the DS wagon like crazy, I think it's going to pay off...

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 08:04:36 PM »
Don't count-out marketing ability.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ootler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 08:15:54 PM »
People are told that one thing is cool and another is not.  The two things perform the same function.  To use time in the pursuit of abstract and futile goals.

Money is thrown around to create an image.  That image bears no relation to the physicality of the product.  It attempts to persuade you that you are cool if you use it - whereas you are not cool.  The image is cool.  You are you.  Sitting hunched over with light reflecting on your pale, soaplike face.

One image tells you that you are cool in a more flattering and ingratiating way.  Therefore among the insecure it is more successful.  The insecure are numerous.  Eventually everybody starts to doubt their own choices in the face of overwhelming conformity and one product utterly dominates.

Not to subscribe to the dominant product produces stress which in turn leads to an overly conscious manner and overt public self justification.

'Twas ever and thus.
-----
yes.

no.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 12:17:51 AM »
"The "three pillars" system will not work...you can't segment the market that much. You can't compete with yourself like that, especially not with a very serious competitor entering the ring with a technologically formidable system like the PSP. -Jonathan Metts"

Who's competing with themselves?  The DS offers unique stuff that can pretty much only be enjoyed by the DS.  And while I'm gonna avoid the "innovative Nintendo" schtick, the PSP is the one offering portable ports of current PS2 Software on the PSP.  Isn't that self-competition?  Is the older demographic that Sony is ostensibly "aiming for" really gonna fall for the PSP when they can get better looking versions of the same games on the PS2 and a PS2 as well for what could possibly be less money than the PSP istelf, let alone an inferior title for an equivalent price?

The fact that the PSP is so technically advanced is the VERY REASON they are competing with themselves.  What you think Nintendo is doing is Market Saturation.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 02:18:29 AM »

For other insightful and incendiary views from developers such as Tantalus, Pocketeers, Shin'en, and Paragon 5, as well as from journalists such as Steven Kent, Craig Harris, and "Fargo", hit the link above.

There's no link above. ;__;

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 02:23:37 AM »
Why do people keet thinking the PSP is the better system? It came too little, too late. Everything has already been done on a gaming handheld.

Plus they're singing one notes, handhelds have done 3D games not only on N Gage, but the GBA as well. If we got that 3D platformer for the GBA in the US, that'd turn some heads....
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 06:32:43 AM »
It was in the actual article on the site.  I edited it in to the text so it shows up here.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:03:33 AM »
Sony officials said the PSP isn't meant as a portable system. So, it's basically a PS2 that only takes inferior media and costs more? Talk about self-competition.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 11:20:18 AM »
I honestly think the whole "third pillar" comment is mean as a failsafe in case the DS utterly bombs, which is entirely possible. If the DS does end up doing well, though, I'm sure we'll see Nintendo slowly fade out the GBA and supplant it with the DS. If anything the developers themselves will fade out their GBA software over time and develop only for the PSP and DS. I would be very surprised if both the GBA and the DS end up existing side by side for a long time.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 03:04:40 PM »
I've always just thought of the whole "third pillar" thing as being redundant as well, and perhaps a failsafe way of writing it off (if it were to not do very well) without killing the Game Boy line (as if that were possible).

I've often heard people complaining about the constant redesigns of the Game Boy, even if in actuality there have only really been the GB, GBC, and GBA.  Sure, there's the Pocket, Advance SP, and multiple colors and special editions of each, but it's not like there is a truly new one each year like some people seem to imply.  However, the time gap between the GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, and the DS seems to be smaller each time if I remember correctly, so if this were a new Game Boy, anyone even thinking that the Game Boy is redesigned too often is going to be hesitant about purchasing something new right from the start if they think something even better is going to come soon enough...

However, it IS a portable, and it CAN play GBA games...what I think will happen if the DS is even moderately successful is that the GBA software will still continue to roll out (tens of millions of GBA owners can't be wrong!) but the GBA hardware will slow down until there's a large enough number of people with DSes to be able to close off the Game Boy line, if Nintendo really wanted to, at least to reduce unnecessary segmentation.

But this is about the DS vs. the PSP, not vs. the GBA.

What I wonder about the PSP is when it'll come out.  As already mentioned, it's PS2 games on the go for much, much, more.  Why pay much more to play games on a tinier screen, no surround sound, etc.  I'm guessing a PSTwo redesign is on its way, which could make it cheaper, and judging by the expected timeline, if people hesitate and don't pick up the PSP right at launch, I'm sure the hype for the PS3 will be building up and people will be saving for that.  I'm just speculating at this point, but wouldn't the PSP and PS3 sell for about the same?  Which would make the PSP, if only essentially a "portable PS2", less worth buying.

At least the DS is more interesting with its features, and whether or not they will be fully utilized often, it seems like developers like it more to give it a more varied library of titles earlier on and maybe even onward.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 10:28:32 PM »
Jon: Portability is a major advantage, but if the battery life doesn't hold up it goes away.