Author Topic: The Name Wii: Why I Don't Like It  (Read 24483 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The Name Wii: Why I Don't Like It
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »
But I think alot of the success was not just from the games, but from the marketing. Same to be said about the Wii. Sony made Nintendo look childish through marketing and that was the biggest factor to making the PS a success. It was cool to own one, and once you owned it, you had to buy the games up keep up the image.

If Sony made Nintendo look childish it was via the colorful games and "underpowered" system.  It wasn't because of the name. 

Oh I meant Sony made the N64 look childish, not the Wii.
I meant the Wii strong suit was Marketing.

I put that sentence together badly.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »
My point still stands.  (I left if generic for a reason.)  It applies to the N64.  It applies to the GameCube.  It applies to the DS.  And it applies to the Wii.

In all cases Sony has tried to discredit Nintendo by poking fun of its family-friendly games and "underpowered" hardware.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
After all these years, I still don't feel odd asking for Wii games or accessories, and still say screw the haters.

I think they did a great job marketing this console actually. Nintendo used to be synonomous with video games in general, but lost that to Sony during the Playstation era. Now it seems like Nintendo is back on top and Wii is a brand is synonmous with, well, fun! Thats the genius of it too, with the Wii as a brand they've seperated themselves from the other guys and grab the little bit of space left in consumers brains, even if it doesn't completely erase "playstation" or "xbox" completely. When some people think of wii, they don't think JUST videogames, they think of the motion controled thingy thats fun for the whole family. It just stands out more than any playstation ever could.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
My point still stands.  (I left if generic for a reason.)  It applies to the N64.  It applies to the GameCube.  It applies to the DS.  And it applies to the Wii.

In all cases Sony has tried to discredit Nintendo by poking fun of its family-friendly games and "underpowered" hardware.

So you're saying Sony is the middle-aged guy with the comb over that drives around in a shiny red porsche with his sun glasses on and the hooker he tries to pass off as his girlfriend that pulls up next to you at the red light, revving his engine because he's insecure about his penis size?

yeah sounds about right.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »
I remember about a year ago I was at a walmart buying some extra controllers and what not, and when I brought them to the cash register this girl was like:

"Ughh....your buying Wii controllers. Don't you think your a little too old for that?"

I responded with something fierce and so did my friend. We ended up laughing our way out of the store, but the point still stands. She was an outlier; someone who didn't represent the masses. I've seen more Wii's in college houses than any other system. Like wiggles said Wii = fun.

It's a solid name. One that's easily identifiable. I thought so back then, and I still think so now.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
It's also easily said when hammered. Drunks seem to have a hard time pronouncing "playstation"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »
I must be one of the few people who have always liked the name "Wii". It's simple and can't be abbreviated, and it captures the essence of the system perfectly.

...though why was this old topic bumped? Sort of a "then and now" type of thing?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
I responded with something fierce and so did my friend. We ended up laughing our way out of the store, but the point still stands. She was an outlier; someone who didn't represent the masses. I've seen more Wii's in college houses than any other system. Like wiggles said Wii = fun.

I wonder just how many people that now brag about being part of the "masses" cared so much about that when they most certainly were not among them in the N64 and GameCube eras.  It seems to me some people are still fighting the console wars of 10 years ago, but now that they are in the  majority are enjoying being just as judgemental as those who ostracized them so many years ago.  Just food for thought there.

Incidentally, why exactly was this topic revived 2 years after the last post?  Whether you think the Wii's name is stupid or not (and I think it is), that is the system's name and it's not going anywhere.  It's silly to argue about it now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
After all these years, I still don't feel odd asking for Wii games or accessories, and still say screw the haters.

Well after all these years I certainly don't feel odd asking for Wii stuff either, since the Wii name is so well known now that everyone knows what you're talking about.

I still think it's a dumb name.  I still think, at best, the silly name was irrelevent to the Wii's success.  I wouldn't suggest Nintendo call their next console "Puu" or anything like that though at this point to not use "Wii" in the title in some way would probably be throwing away brand name recognition for no reason (unless Nintendo wanted to overhaul their image, but I can't imagine they would.)  The thing is if the names "N-Gage", "Gamecube" or "Saturn" were not already taken, Nintendo could have called the Wii that and still sold as many consoles.  What sold the Wii, what always sold the Wii, was that they had this game where you swing the controller and the character on the screen swings the baseball bat, golf club or tennis racket in the same way at the same time.  It's the closest anyone has ever got to virtual reality and the second everyone saw that they wanted it and would have even if it was called the "Phuk" and had a logo that accidentally resembled a swastika.

Wii Sports is everything.  The sheer "wow" factor of the controls for that game sold Wiis.  I would say everything else is a red herring and for all future consoles Nintendo should take into account that the real key is a system selling game that everyone just HAS to play and is so different that no one else has anything like it.  There are other factors but THAT is what they should focus on the most.  It's the one thing that if you went back in time and changed it you would get completely different results.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »
The handle was so useful.

Carrying the Wii feels like I should be delicate as if it were a hard drive full of treasures.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »
The handle was so useful.

Carrying the Wii feels like I should be delicate as if it were a hard drive full of treasures.

Why should you ever need to carry the Wii anywhere when you have that wonderful online system Nintendo's set up for you?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
Nintendo Wet Fart Contraction won't play my Wii games when I'm out of town at someone else's house on weekends.

My TV is in my living room.  My video workstation is in my bedroom.  My Wii has to be transported between the two for different purposes, and I have 2 of every cable/attachment for that sake.

Am I supposed to get a 2nd Wii?  I hope not, that's like 4 months worth of retail games I'd buy.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
Oh poor you, at least the choice isn't between buying baby formula or paying the second mortgage like it is for PS3 owners.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »
You're right.  I should be more sensitive to those whose consoles can't be moved as easily as a hot water heater.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »
I'm too much of an anglophile (which means I want to have sex with the english language) to not feel odd saying "It's out on the we." but I think the name did what it was supposed to do for Nintendo.

Last gen, people had a hard time telling the "GameCUBE" from the "xBOX". This time, there was zero confusion between the two.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:02 AM »
PlayStation is such a manly man's name.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:24 AM »
Amerikaner...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »

I wonder just how many people that now brag about being part of the "masses" cared so much about that when they most certainly were not among them in the N64 and GameCube eras.  It seems to me some people are still fighting the console wars of 10 years ago, but now that they are in the  majority are enjoying being just as judgemental as those who ostracized them so many years ago.  Just food for thought there.

Incidentally, why exactly was this topic revived 2 years after the last post?  Whether you think the Wii's name is stupid or not (and I think it is), that is the system's name and it's not going anywhere.  It's silly to argue about it now.

Who was bragging? That dumb bitch was trying to put ME down! LOL
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
the tinkle comes out my Wii right?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post