Author Topic: Editorial: Hotties for Rent  (Read 10448 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Editorial: Hotties for Rent
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »
Please use this thread to discuss Bonnie Ruberg's new editorial.

Hotties for Rent
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Gamecubeguy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Editorial: Hotties for Rent
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »
Wow, that's a really good editorial. I really belive it, especially how our culture fantasizes over the perfect body, especially the female one (modeling, advertisements, makeup (EKKEKEJEKE1!), etc ya know.) . I never actually thought of this stuff before, it's good that a gaming site can have things like this that bring the human aspect of gaming into people's minds.  This should generate some interesting discussion.  
It's an iPod!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
Pretty good article, I liked it.  It went in circles here and there, but for the most part it was really good.
I find the article tends to assume quite a lot when it comes to the guy gamers.  Mind you, I've never been at a tradeshow like E3, so I'm not wholly aware of the kinds of gamers that do go.  However, the gamers I know and associate with, myself included, are all decent guys and have all touched women before.  I'm sure there are plenty of guys who differ from us, but there's still hope in some of us, girl gamers.
Also, I very much doubt you have to directly compete with the booth girls.  Any of the guy gamers who are so shaky around a booth babe would no doubt be ecstatic if a girl would stoop to their level and go out with them.  Face it, most girl gamers wouldn't even be willing to.  But if they did, I seriously doubt the booth babe ideal would be kept in mind.  He's smart enough to know he's never going to get that.
As for doing away with booth babes, I'm sure that'd be swell.  But I get this feeling that the whole female body thing is much more thoroughly integrated into our culture than that, and we'll have to change quite a lot of other stuff before we even get near to changing the booth babe ordeal.
Otherwise, I mostly agree with the article.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
RE:Editorial: Hotties for Rent
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:48:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Also, I very much doubt you have to directly compete with the booth girls. Any of the guy gamers who are so shaky around a booth babe would no doubt be ecstatic if a girl would stoop to their level and go out with them. Face it, most girl gamers wouldn't even be willing to. But if they did, I seriously doubt the booth babe ideal would be kept in mind. He's smart enough to know he's never going to get that.

Clever paragraph. Most people have to choose between substance or looks - do you want someone who makes a good companion, or simply a good picture?

I wonder though how many of these nerds (by which I am specifically referring only to those who slobber over booth babes) can appreciate that question. When I was in middle school, with hormones raging, I naturally tended to unfortunately go after girls who were the best LOOKING, and not necessarily the best people to be around. However, I grew out of that phase. I don't know if all of these guys have.

I think real life exposure to females who actually enjoy video games and are fun to be around could help shatter the "booth babe" image for a lot of guys, and that's something that will only happen over time, and likely on its own. There's nothing we can do to speed up the process, is there?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »

However, the gamers I know and associate with, myself included, are all decent guys and have all touched women before.

Are you......bragging?  Just because I hide behind the fake-belief that girls have cooties just to mask the fact that they find me REPULSIVE is no reason to bray, donkey-style, about your ability to touch women.  i have ice cream ='D

I'm all for getting rid of women in general booth babes.  Either that or include booth boys in all the fun as weapons.  I can see EA sabotaging other companies by sending over a fleet half naked men over to their booths.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 03:24:25 PM »
Interesting topic. When it comes to booth babes, I've always associated them with swetty palms and messy hair. And the guys who take pictures with them aren't always in the best shape either *rimshot*. Seriously, though, as a male gamer, I've never been all that interested in them. They're PAID to be nice to you. To me, that means that kind of ruins it, so when I do go to this shiny and magical world that is E3, I'll probably be occupied with other things. Like playing games of all things.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline johnhummel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »
Ms. Ruberg,

Just to let you know, I enjoyed reading your article on
PlanetGamecube.  If it makes you feel any better, every year I've gone
to E3 - as first a fan then a journalist - I've mentioned the same
issues, and even made a point of admonishing various booths that
seemed to have no purpose than to have Booth Babes treating gamers
like they were all 14 year old's who's only contact with women was
their imagination and their right hand.  Sorry to be crude, but I've
actually always been offended by the booth babe system, since it tells
me that marketers think I'm nothing more than a person who can't think
above their testicles.

So, I don't know if it helps, but if it makes you feel any better,
there are guys who are married and have up and coming gamer daughters
who do care, and would love to see nothing more than every single
Booth Babe thrown out of the E3 floor.  Or, at least give them more
useful jobs.

Like, I don't know, the cafeteria.  At least that would keep the
drooling hormone guys off the floor .

John Hummel

PS:  I sent this in an email too, so forgive me for using the power of Cut and Paste.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 03:42:44 PM »
Another Girl Gamer article?

Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you have to write about girl gamers ya know
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 04:21:30 PM »
Overall I agree with Bonnie's editorial.  However, I have two problems with it

1) Despite her best efforts, I felt somewhat offended as a guy gamer while reading this.  Maybe I am in the large minority by not oggling booth babes, but most expo-goers who spend half of their time posing with girls don't come off as looking cool.

2) Bonnie has never actually been to an E3 yet.  Perhaps I am mistaken, but all of her expertese in the field is second-hand.  As such, it seems the booth babe presence has been blown out of proportion in her mind (though I could just be oblivious).  Some booths (like Nintendo) have "classy" booth babes that I respect and am friendly with, and do seem to be casual gamers (or at least interested enough to learn).  Perhaps the best thing I can say about Nintendo's female representatives is that I always see familiar faces from year to year--heck, one recognized me at GDC this year.

Many have developers largely filling the "booth babe" role of presenting the company's games.  Frankly, most of the gaudy booth babes are acting as snake oil saleswomen.  I wish she had waited until after E3 2005 so that she could stack her mental picture against her experience of the real deal.  Perhaps it would not have changed her opinion at all, but it would have given this editorial more ammunition.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 04:31:54 PM »
"- guys in spandex hot pants to match the ladies? I don’t think anyone thinks that’s a good idea."

youd be surprised  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
women paid to "man" a booth is not a unique attribute of video games expos, but rather follows in the footsteps of many other male-oriented conventions, be them for boating, guns or cars.  The primary caution should be that the women involved do not feel mistreated, which most accounts seem to say they are more exhausted from smiling and standing so much.  And from each company's perspective, must be working or they would be done away with as an unneeded expense.
(I would imagine that companies have at least briefly debated going so far as to exchange sexual favors for sales)  Instead, booth babes occupy the same strata as hooter's waitresses or beauty pagents- an argument can be made that they degrade women.
The worry might also be that at a socially awkward/impressionable age, objectifying women creates a future pattern of degradation.  But so many other facets of day to day life advance the same things it is difficult to point out cause and effect.

Personally, I think companies would be more successful if they hired females to sit down and game with people.  They don't have to dress up, in fact, it would almost be better if they were not dressed up in any way and casually would approach guys and ask if they want to play a game. That could do wonders for a fellow's self confidence.

But does gaming prostitution cross a moral line?  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 07:40:34 PM »
If you think this bad, try import/tuner car shows. 'Nuff said.

Now speaking as a gamer who checks for gaming news, booth babes are the last thing on my mind. I have to sift through all sorts of media that sites such as trusty PGC during the e3 rush,  teh BooTh baBe has to wait in line...

As cliche as it sounds, money talks and sex sells. I'm claiming ignorance here, but what they're paid that whole weekend is probablly more than what Joe Schmoe working at Walmart makes in a month. Its a case of supply and demand. Companies demand snake-oil salewomen, women demand monetary compensation. Companies supply said compensation (a generous amount I assume), women supply the crowd with freebies and photo-ops.

But does gaming prostitution cross a moral line?

I dunno, but if the girl posing as Kasumi makes you a proposition after that photo-op [insert morality here]

By doing so, and by presenting only gorgeous, skinny women, aren’t we perpetuating hurtful stereotypes about beauty?

That's another can of worms which can be discussed well beyond the forum of gaming...

Its a great editorial as always, its a shame this couldn't come out a little closer to e3. We haven't heard if PGC's going this year, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to get short interviews quotes from the babes themselves this year maybe some pithy comments on DVD . In then end though, it really is all about the games. At least, it should be...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 07:45:12 PM »
Sexually oriented marketing has had a rather a reverse effect on me, and I'm SURE that a lot of guys feel this way so I'm not just talking about me here.

You see, having it been made clear just how far companies will go to try and sell you a product, especially by targeting your desires as a male, well, it sickens and infuriates me. It's like boxing when you have a cut under your eye and your opponent keeps punching it: they try to take advantage of a weakness and it only results in angering you.

Continuing with the boxing metaphor, when a company presents its product WITHOUT trying to sell it with sex, that's a "clean fight". I assume, no, I'm FORCED to understand that they feel their product stands so well on its own that they don't need to resort to methods of sale other than simple trial. In other words, my opponent knows the cut is there, but he ain't gonna punch it because he knows he can win the fight without it. My opponent (aka the product being marketed) is just that good.

So, when I see women being thrust into my face when I'm considering making a purchase, it immediately lights up the red flag in my mind.

My advice: let it light your red flag too.

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 08:25:10 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
but most expo-goers who spend half of their time posing with girls don't come off as looking cool.

*looks over at Berto2k's avatar*

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »
Thrust your face into the women, don't make a purchase, and walk away with a smile.

"Put on a HAPPY FACE!" -- JOKER
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 08:51:50 PM »
"We haven't heard if PGC's going this year"

What are you, high?  But seriously, PGC has had a sizeable team at E3 since I joined in 2001.  Yes, we will be there ;-)  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 09:23:38 PM »
Oh Berty Berty AHhahahahaha. Don't be ashamed of your avatar and sig, Bert....!!!! lol.

I actually enjoyed reading that editorial, I must say. Although there are quite a few generalisations in there that I have to disagree with. Obviously...not all us guys oggle at girls and leap at the chance to try and grope them simply because we're given the opportunity to.
But come on, give a geek a chance. If he feels he has to affirm his masculinity by doing that, let him hahahaha.

I think I should stop before i start over-analysing and say this:
You should stop over-analysing. lol.
It is, after all, just a marketing ploy. Guys only do what they do at E3 because they're getting into the spirit of it. Sure there's a tsunami of testosterone flooding everywhere, but its all for the fun of it. I'm sure they realise that the booth babes don't REALLY have feelings for them (except to sell their products) and if they think they do, then they're dopes. I'm sure Bert knows this too. Don't you, Bert
But it is quite pathetic the amount of attention (degrading or otherwise) that they get......as some guys really do seem to not realise the fact that Booth Babes are not the attractions, the games are. And NO sexy, scantily clad chick can hide a bad game.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 09:35:06 PM »
Tomb Raider
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 09:38:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Continuing with the boxing metaphor, when a company presents its product WITHOUT trying to sell it with sex, that's a "clean fight". I assume, no, I'm FORCED to understand that they feel their product stands so well on its own that they don't need to resort to methods of sale other than simple trial. In other words, my opponent knows the cut is there, but he ain't gonna punch it because he knows he can win the fight without it. My opponent (aka the product being marketed) is just that good.

So, when I see women being thrust into my face when I'm considering making a purchase, it immediately lights up the red flag in my mind.

My advice: let it light your red flag too.

-SB

This is absolutely true.  With very few exceptions, the games with the "hottest" booth babes attached to them tend to be titles that no one would pay attention to otherwise.  See: BloodRayne, DOA Volleyball, The Hobbit (believe it or not), SRS, and so on.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 09:41:50 PM »
I'm going to have nightmares remembering the BloodRayne chick now.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:28 PM »
Great article, but I didn't like the conclusion.

"How about this: Instead of changing your outlook, you could try casually changing a guy’s. Don’t come out and tell him to stop caring so much; just turn his attention elsewhere. Or, better yet, introduce him to an actual, live girl gamer he can connect with as an awesome person, not idealize as a sexy stranger."

I mean, you almost went as far as saying this was all a female insecurity problem, but then you proposed a solution of getting rid of what made women insecure? And not only that, but you suggested that women manipulate men so they'd feel better about themselves... and not only that, but you suggested they conceal their true purpose as well while doing it. Come on. You have to admit that's kind of underhanded... if you'd directly adressed the men reading the article, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 10:38:23 PM »
I find that I am indifferent to Booth babes. I gave them a polite smile, said thank you when they handed me the controllor. Said thank you again as they praised my games skills how ever deserevd it might have been. Gave another smile and thank you as I handed it back. I find that regardless who is next to me it is just better to have somebody with you while playing regardless if they are playing or not.

Now you were thinking, maybe they weren't hot. Well no S#%^ they were hot. But any social interaction of any kind enhances the gaming experience. Although I would be adverse to half naked men next to me. If we are at the swimming pool or beach I wouldn't give it a second thought. That is how I am wired, and nothing is going to change that.

But if it would benifit girls going to Expos, I would not object in anyway to the inclusion of Booth guys. I am all for equal rights and very anti feminist. Feminist are the last group of people anybody should listen to for advice of any sort in this regard. Like any kind of extermists, are blind by idealogocal doctrine.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 02:49:03 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
I am all for equal rights and very anti feminist. Feminist are the last group of people anybody should listen to for advice of any sort in this regard. Like any kind of extermists, are blind by idealogocal doctrine.

This is a matter of changing definitions and perception. The word "feminist" means, to some, equal rights. To others it means benefits for only one side. Radical "feminists" are likely the reason for the change in definition. That's what I don't like about words like that. It's difficult to say them and get your point across because you have no idea how it will be interpreted.

I don't think there's anything we can do about the fact that, sadly, sex does sell. But I still hold that over time, more and more males will meet females who share common interests, and will therefore learn, through experience, to respect them as human beings and to recognize that booth babes are just some absurd fantasy.

Offline Matt54321

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 05:36:26 AM »
I agree with the article yet I did not enjoy reading alot of the assumptions made. I dislike the way issues with society are being disguised as issues with games and gamers. They have booth babes at car shows, boat shows, computer shows etc. For every chauvenistic pig out there grabbing their butts there is an equal ammount of 'good' guys who may not even have girlfriends but adopt a more mature attitude. For as many guys out there who have touched a girl and played WoW or a similar 'geeky' game(the majority of guy gamers) there are equally(almost) as many female hardcore gamers who dont need to identify themselves as 'girl gamers' instead the tag 'gamer' fits. If a girl is being treated differently its likely becuz she is acting like she is different and a 'girl gamer' not just a gamer.
I do not want to sound like i am tearing the entire idea of the article apart, let me restate I agree with the opinions - I just think they are exagerated greatly and secondly a very real issue with soceity rather than games. My final comment, Bonnie alot more geeks get laid than you think, and alot less objectify women than you think.  I believe your standpoint is detrimental to the way girls fit into games/society by thrusting an insecure weak opinion on girls everywhere.  Men are not like you make them out to be, as if they should be feared by women (gamers).  

Offline cronotrigger913

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 08:50:06 AM »
I will not go into the details of the actual article, only becuase it's primarily based on people's opinions, as seen in this forum, but I will say that the writer did a fine job of giving a summary of the gender issue in America right now. Most publications run away from this topic, but she did a great job by bringing it to the forefront of conversation, at least on this website, anyway. I would most definitely suggest anyone wanting to read anything on this subject to check this article out, just to get a good sense of what's going on, not even with just video games, but all forms of entertainment.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing...