Author Topic: Iwata Keynote Tidbits  (Read 16945 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:31:20 AM »
We've got the first details of all the info revealed by Satoru Iwata during his GDC keynote address.  Includes: Zelda footage, first details on Revolution, DS WiFi.

UPDATE: Details on the Presentation

Iwata began his presentation by explaining how, deep down, he is a videogame developer just like everyone else.  After a brief background of his history, including how he programmed games on his Hewlett Packard calculator, and his involvement with HAL from its very beginnings, he began talking about games.

He discussed the importance of team work and bouncing ideas off one another.  Not everyone can be a Miyamoto, but excellent games can come from a fusion of ideas and a careful eye for what is fun and new.  Because graphics weren't as important, he explained that they worked hard to make the game's graphics invoke players' imaginations to fill in the gaps.

Iwata talked about what has and has not changed in the industry.  Games are and always will be entertainment, and invoking emotional responses is vital to making a good game.  Player reactions are the true measure of success.  Developers must always consider challenge versus reward: different demographics have different tolerances for difficulty, and games must be made for the full spectrum.  He also noted the importance of ideas: both developing old ideas and creating new ones.  He also iterated the importance of software and how it drives hardware sales, and admitted the value of the Intellectual Property of original game franchises.

But Iwata's main point was what has changed in the industry.  In terms of presence, everything is bigger now.  Games are becoming increasingly complex, big companies are consuming smaller companies, and deadlines are harder make.  But he also said that the industry is getting smaller in some ways. He criticized the development community for thinking in terms of genres, and falling into the habit of making too many games that resemble each other.  He gave Tiger Woods PGA versus Mario Golf as an example of healthy variety within a genre.

He explained that while realism is one way to further a game's immersiveness, it is not the only way.  He posed a rhetorical question: what ELSE can the industry do to improve games?  He explained that one way is to expand what we think of as a "game player."  Not everyone plays games—why?  Why can't there be games for them?  He posed another question: have you (game developers) challenged yourself to make a game you wouldn't play?

After discussing recent Nintendo products and defending Nintendo as still caring about its current userbase (citing Resident Evil 4, the success of Nintendo DS, and the upcoming Zelda game for the GameCube), he explained what is important to Nintendo in a game: innovation, intuitiveness, an inviting experience, and a logical interface.

Then he got to the new stuff.

First Iwata promoted Nintendo DS's wireless features, and how WiFi is the future for Nintendo.  After a demonstration of Mario Kart DS with 8 players, he explained that making a seamless wireless experience is a vital theme in Nintendo's upcoming strategy.  Iwata continually used the word "WiFi," not internet play.  However, the details he discussed suggested Nintendo DS will be going online.  He explained that Nintendo is working on an infrastructure, and it is almost ready.  "WiFi enabled games will be available this year."  He explained that developer kits will be available soon — in fact, he said that by the end of the day, people will not be asking where the development kits are.

To demonstrate one use of WiFi, he briefly discussed Animal Crossing — one of the "non-game" games that will broaden the gaming user base.  Although no actual wireless content was displayed, Iwata stated that players will be able to bring their village around the world with the Nintendo DS.

Nintendo then showed two other products that challenge the definition of what we think of as a game.  First was Nintendogs: Bill Trinen showed the audience his cute dog Chipper, and explained how the player can train his or her dog custom commands and play with their puppy.  Then Bill showed off the abstract music creation game, Electro-plankton, which includes features such as voice sampling with the microphone.  Most amusing was a mode in which the player solos with various samples over background music: Bill played various Mario noises over the Super Mario Bros. Star-man Theme.

Finally, Iwata briefly discussed the most basic features of Revolution — most likely to quell absurd internet rumors.  Most importantly, the Revolution will be backwards compatible with all GameCube games.  This also confirms that the Revolution will have at least a GameCube controller as input.  Secondly, WiFi will be built into the system, much as it is with the Nintendo DS.  He promised a friendly and familiar development environment, even though he remarked that the games themselves will played in a revolutionary new way.  He also expressed interest in what third parties can do with the new system, and fully hopes other developers will embrace the system's new features.  

Iwata also revealed that Nintendo is working with the same partners from the GameCube to create custom chips.  Going with the theme of the Revolution as a leader in entertainment, ATI's graphics chip is named Hollywood, and IBM's processor is dubbed Broadway.

PGC will have more details about Nintendo DS "WiFi" and the DS games on the showroom floor soon, and will, of course, report more on the Revoultion when more solid details about the Revolution are available.

---

We'll have much more thorough information shortly, but here are some quick notes from Mr. Iwata's keynote speech:

- New Zelda footage was shown.  Some new features seen include ghosts and Hyrule castle.

- Revolution will be backwards-compatible with GameCube and include wireless ethernet capability in the console.  IBM's CPU is called "Broadway"; ATI's GPU is called "Hollywood".

- DS online comments were vague.  WiFi should be easy to use (no addresses to type in).  Example: taking your Animal Crossing village around the world.  Most of all, DS WiFi will be free to the end user.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:43:21 AM »
Curious to see this trailer...

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »
Somebody up there likes us all.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:51:25 AM »
These new Zelda graphics are mind blowing. Look at the Keese bat models, yowza! And the trailer is to die for...

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Keynote Tidbits
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:52:17 AM »
It's on Nintendo's website.  If you want more, all you have to do is click HERE
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 08:55:31 AM »
Excellent...everything is proceeding as I have forseen it.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:01:44 AM »
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 09:02:26 AM »
Vague DS online comments = sad.
Free WiFi DS + GameCube backwards compatible Revolution = very very happy!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 09:04:04 AM »
I want to make love to Nintendo.

Repeatedly.

I haven't been this excited since I first saw the info about the new Zelda.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »
That Revolution news is great.  Built-in wireless ethernet means the Rev will be online.  They wouldn't go to the trouble otherwise.  And Gamecube backwards compatibility suggests it's not a total wacko console.

I want more info on DS online but confirmation of it being free is good though expected.

What is with Nintendo and wireless stuff though?  With the Cube they felt that broadband was too new.  Well wireless isn't that common yet either so as the only option for online play it seems like an odd choice.  I think wireless is the future but for now having wires, at least for the Rev, makes more sense.  Hopefully they'll have an option.

Edit:  Just saw the new Zelda trailer and WOW.  My initial thought was "goobly oobly gook".  The English language seems incapable of expressing my opinion.  There's just so much STUFF shown I don't know where to start.  One thing worth noting is that while detailed the graphics still have a very Ocarina of Time style to them in that it's not overly dark or realistic.  The Goron for example looks like a Goron should while the Stalfos as scary as they should be.  It still looks like Zelda and not Lord of the Rings or something else.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 09:14:20 AM »
Well did you really expect them to reveal everything at GDC?

What would they have left for E3 if they did?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
I'm still impressed by the picking up the cat part....  He throws it over his shoulder instead of the generic holding it over his head that all other zeldas have.  It's a very nice touch.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 09:19:31 AM »
Every join in with this: HELL YEAH!!

Revolution going online, DS Wi-Fi (I don't own a ds, still trying to decide), and GC games to work on the revolution. I haven't been this happy since........uhh........well.........yeah........ OK, it's been a long while since I have been this happy.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 09:22:41 AM »
That part shows a sidequest where Link works for PETA...Can't wait for it!

I hate scary ghosts in underground dungeon atmospheres!  On the other hand, I'm confused about Link fighting that Goron (on the OVERWORLD, no less) and the wolf howling at the end...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 09:39:27 AM »
Nintendo's said just the right things. Online... yep. Backward compatability... check. It's starting to come together... not that I care, since I've pretty much decided to stop with the Gamecube *L*

As for Zelda... it looks VERY swank. I like it. As for Bill's concern about the Goron, I'm thinking either Link interrupted it's rock meal, or maybe it's just training Link to fight or something. I'm actually more concerned about Link picking up a cat... is he gonna use it as a projectile weapon?

"And the new tool in this new Zelda game will be the Cat-Apult 2000, which allows Link to throw no less than three cats at once. You can even add fire element to the cat to light far-away torches."

I just slipped into a very silly place, apparently.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »
HELL YEAH!

Kudos to Nintendo for at least sticking to their word and making online free.

And the Rev being backwards compatible means I'll be buying it for sure.

And the Zelda trailer... words fail me.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 09:43:49 AM »
Strangely, the point where I went over the top was when he said that he hopes 3rd parties will take advantage of the system's new features.  It just made my brain go into overload imagining how awesome the new kinds of games Nintendo has in mind might be...now that I don't have to worry if it will play classic games, I'm ready to jump head-first into the new ones!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 09:53:49 AM »
Yeah, as far as the Goron, I think it's probably going to be a training thing.  Flagship really had a nice system going that built off of the swordsman in Wind Waker.  Maybe in this Zelda the different 'races' of hyrule will teach Link new techniques.  That would be sweet.
---------------------

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »
But the fight is on the overworld...It doesn't make sense to put a "tutor" on the overworld now does it?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 10:04:12 AM »
Well the guy who trained Link in WW was in the overworld as well.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 10:10:37 AM »
Ever thought that maybe it's an evil Goron?  Why does every Goron have to be a good guy?  I think it would be a cool twist to have enemies that at first glance look like NPCs.  Say when you're traveling to a new era it's common to encounter other travellers and talk with them.  So to add an element of surprise some of these travellers should be hostiles.  With most games it very obvious who the enemies are.  It would be nice to have random thieves and such that are indistinguishable from common non-enemies.

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 10:18:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi
Well the guy who trained Link in WW was in the overworld as well.
Are you talking about Orca? He trains Link in his house.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:15 AM »
I just posted the following on the main site, but I wanted to share it here ...

I've been hearing for well over a year that Revolution would be backwards compatible, so it's nice to see that part has been confirmed. How much, though, is the key ... software is assumed, but what about peripherals? Game Boy Player? Wired Ethernet adaptor? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather go wired just for the higher throughput.

That said, WiFi is the "marketing name" for the 802.11b wireless communication protocol. What WiFi is NOT is a network protocol, per se, like TCP/IP. That is the current problem the Nintendo DS has. It can connect to a wireless hotspot, but doesn't know how to communicate once it does. Think of it this way ... 802.11b is the type of phone you use to call people, TCP/IP is the language you use once they pick up the phone. That's an oversimplification, but I think it serves it's purpose.

The reason they keep saying WiFi is that they are being technically correct, as well as it being something people understand better than talking about 802.11b or TCP/IP. My guess is that it is up to the games to support the network language, and in this case, perhaps Nintendo is going with a different network standard? They talk about having to set up infrastructure, so it's not out of the realm of possibility, which is why they keep referring to "worldwide wireless play", and never mentioning Internet.

What do we care, as long as it's free? If Nintendo wants to control the network, but still offer it for free, that's essentially what Xbox Live is, so I can't see anyone having a problem with it.

Here's the interesting part: They refer to the wireless play in Revolution the same way. I think it's pretty safe to speculate that Nintendo is indeed in the process of rolling out a global game network service similar to Xbox Live. But Nintendo's will be FREE. That's going to put a significant chink in Microsoft's armor.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 10:27:44 AM »
All I can say is WOW.  The GameCube backwards compatibility came right out of left field - I never expected that one.  It's awesome news because I'll be able to trade in my GameCube for a Revolution and keep all my GC games.  I'm lovin' that.

Animal Crossing DS online too...now THAT is what I was talking about.  So far Nintendo is doing pretty much what I said they should do in my editorial:

- announce DS online capability before Sony launches the PSP
- announce a DS online killer app (Animal Crossing)
- hype big games coming up later this year (in this case, Mario Kart)

Nintendo gets an A so far on my report card for their DS strategy.  I can't wait to see what they unveil at E3...

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 10:27:55 AM »
Free "Nintendo Live"?

If that's their plan Nintendo's won the online war... unless Sony does the same thing.