Author Topic: Pokemon Box  (Read 7726 times)

Offline WesDawg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« on: April 15, 2003, 07:26:00 AM »
Theres a news article up at IGN about Nintendo's first GC Pokemon offering. Apparently it connects to Ruby and Saphire basically to make Pokemon managment easier for the two. Strange. I know they want to push connectivity, and every kid in the world will probably want this (and hopefully a GC) to make their collection complete, but man, I'm wanting that GC Pokemon RPG.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 07:58:01 AM »
I'm hoping that IGN is mistranslating something or the original article doesn't give all the details because from their article it looks like this game is nothing more than a glorified Pokemon storage system.  If that's all it is then that is REALLY LAME and I know I'm not buying it.  Sure the game might only cost like $20 but WWE: Crush Hour is a discounted title too and I'm sure as hell not buying that.

One bright side to this though is that if this is all they have for a "Stadium" game then maybe they actually are working on something bigger for the Gamecube.  They have to have done more than this.  Plus we still need a way to find all of the Pokemon that aren't in Ruby/Saphire.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 08:59:31 AM »
I just saw the article at cube-europe and I am quite shocked. What is Nintendo thinking, I am a big Pokemon fan and I most likely will buy it becuase its so cheap. But really now, there has to be much more to this than what is said.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 11:49:16 AM »
It looks... well, interesting, to say the least. I'm not sure if I would buy it, unless it happens to also unlock the "unavailable" Pokemon in the GBA games... The IGN article also said "Add on to the adventure"... maybe it will unlock some new sidequests as well...
I'll say this though... I bought the Pokemon Stadium games soley for the much simpler box and backpack storage interface rather than the complicated and confusing interface of R/B/Y/G/S/C. Now that R/S have drastically improved the organization interface, I really see no need for such an add on, unless you actually have the patience to capture 1500 Pokemon...
There HAS to be something bigger in the works. Perhaps this is a red herring for those 10 year olds who keep writing in each week "I whant PokeyMhon on GamECubeh!!!1"

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 12:03:15 PM »
I wonder if any of the adventure will be played on the Gamecube in the form of a 3D RPG style. I mean, if they are working on something else involving Pokemon on GC, then what better way than to tease gamers with a short "mini" adventure that allows you to run about in the environment and do some fights. They could show off how cool it'll be and how nice the sound effects of a 3D Pokemon battle could be.

That'll more than guarantee 4 million copies of Pokemon RPG GC being sold... in America alone.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 04:37:28 PM »
I would have gotten the game if it were actually Pokemon Stadium 4.  I definitely would have gotten the game were it a 3D RPG.  Since it's only Box operations (which are cool enough on the game, in my opinon)...is there really any point?

No, no there's not.

I hope there is more to the game than organization.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 04:56:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Caterkiller<br What is Nintendo thinking, I am a big Pokemon fan and I most likely will buy it becuase its so cheap.

That's what Nintendo is thinking right there. If most Pokemon fans feel the need to get this then it'll most definitely sell some Cubes.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 05:12:07 PM »
this seems like a stupid way to get people to buy gamecubes

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 05:34:27 PM »
$15 and comes w/ a Memory 59 card.  Not bad.

But I'm highly dissapointed if this is all it does.  I'll probably end up getting it seeing as its so cheap and could use another memory card anyways (damn sports games eat up basically all of the 256 alone), but what wasted potential with Pokemon on the GC.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 06:58:02 PM »
Good news, this makes a real Pokemon RPG on GameCube even more likely, its like they are bringing out this instead of the next stadium, nice. And nobody should be complaining about this, it probably only took a team of 4 or 5 people like a week to make, its not like its using up Nintendos resources or anything.  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Pokemon Box
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 09:00:13 PM »
As I said it would probally end up being some type of Techincal Demo made into some type of interactive program. So I wasn't expecting anything big. The big game will more than likely hit sometime at the end of the fiscal year (March 2004 in Japan) at the earliest.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 09:41:57 PM »
If this is our Pokemon GameCube game, I am going to be seriously pissed.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 05:42:31 AM »
All my dreams of the coolest RPG in the world has come crashing down.
What the hell is this though?
I can't believe, after all this speculation, that Pokemon on Gamecube would be like this. Even though some speculation of what the game might be like got a bit out of proportion, at least they were more relaistic to what we would have wanted out of a Pokemon GC game.

The strange thing is, there wasn't a big announcement for it or anything, so there HAS to be something at E3.
Miyamoto-san's "wait till E3" phrases had better be worth it this year.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 07:21:46 AM »
im horribly dissapointed also.

I was hoping for some MAD sidequests that would unlock the pokemon not in the game.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 07:25:20 AM »
To me, this looks like Nintendo's attempt to cash in on Pokemon - quick.  I imagine the company still has something else in the works, but it may be a long way off yet.  I do hope it's a full-blown RPG, and if Nintendo's smart, it will be designed so that they can churn out an "enhanced" version of this rhetorical GameCube Pookemon RPG for their next console either as soon as it launches or as soon as another Gameboy sequel is available.  
Having had all these fantastical ideas, I wouldn't hold my breath.  Pokemon Stadium, here we come!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 09:07:17 AM »
i almost wanna jump off a building, i was so excited for a good pokemon game, and this isn't even a game, its useless.  The box system in R/S is the best to date, there is nothing wrong with it.  This just makes no sense.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 11:32:02 AM »
The only way I see this thing getting put to good use is if its for a 3D RPG storage system, but if this thing is its own disc it makes no blasted sense.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 12:43:58 PM »

I would have gotten the game if it were actually Pokemon Stadium 4.

Wouldn't another Stadium game be the 3rd?  But anyway, the screens that IGN had didn't even look like it was fit for a GBA game, much less a GCN game (ok, slight exaggeration on the GBA part, but you get my point).  I'm dissappointed with this.  Even if Nintendo is just releasing this as a "pre-major-Poke-RPG-on-GCN" game, they could've at least spent another 2 months on it (at least before "showing it off").
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 03:33:05 PM »
I'd get it because whenever I'd restart I could use that to make sure I don't lose everything. Plus, it'd be a great way to get all the starters and any others that you'd have to decide on. And what makes all of you so sure that this is one of the pokemon games? Reminds of when Metroid was revealed to be in a first-person perspective how many people blew it completely out of proportion and started saying that all on Nintendo's games would be like that. Not nearly as bad then, but it still reminds me.
If the graphics are bad, I'll ignore them.
If the style's been used before, I won't care. I don't get sick of styles.
If the story is weak, I'll make up my own.
I only care about gameplay.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 06:32:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
Miyamoto-san's "wait till E3" phrases had better be worth it this year.

Has he EVER dissapointed us with that phrase?  

Offline Animelee

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 08:11:55 PM »
If you look carefully in the top left corner of one of the screenshots, you can see that a Pokemon Crystal game pak is being used! Sure, the Japanese letters for "Bashaamo", "Massaguma" and "Taneboo" are there, but it could just be a list of the Pokemon that are stored in the Gamecube, and not Pokemon Crystal.

This, my friends, seems to be the way to get the unobtainables.

What about the "!" and "?" Unown that weren't available in GSC? Well, they'll probably be obtained by maybe sending over the A-Z Unown to R/S, or something like that.

Anyways, Pokemon fans, I bet Pokemon Box won't just be about storing the R/S Pokemon, only!
The biggest Pokemon fan of all time.
Proud Nintendo fanboy.
"If it ain't from Nintendo, then I automatically hate it."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 11:48:49 PM »
The Magic Box just reported that this is not the Pokemon GCN game that Nintendo has been hinting about.  In KoroKoro Magazine, it's said that Nintendo will announce the game shortly.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2003, 04:37:48 AM »
I sorta figured that out when I was reading the article. But this is one of the worst ways to cash in on Pokemon.
They should have just waited till E3 and announced this and the *real* Pokemon GC game together. Or even as a bundle.

I am placing all my hopes on E3 for a BIG revival of Nintendo goodness, which seems to have been lacking in times of late.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2003, 05:46:17 AM »
"I am placing all my hopes on E3 for a BIG revival of Nintendo goodness, which seems to have been lacking in times of late."

Speak for yourself. How long would you have had to wait between Metroid Prime and Zelda:WW on the N64? And those are now my two favorite console games, ever.

All I want at E3 is a proper Mario, and my gaming life will be complete.

And I see you guys' point about Pokemon Box, but you gotta remember, this is just a cheap option for those hardcore Pokemon players, especially if it connects with the older Pokemon. Nobody's forcing you to buy it, and there's still as much a chance of a proper Pokemon GC game as there was before.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Pokemon Box
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2003, 08:25:10 AM »
I must say that i really want a 3d pokemon RPG much more than a mario game.  I mean, come on, it would be so much fun.  And the nedless hours of training, and watching the fights in crisp Cubey graphics.  I really hope we see pokemon RPG GC at e3.  That is the only game now on my wish list.

there is hope yet, go here and read at the bottom two paragraphs.  
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no