Author Topic: Shells, baby, shells  (Read 5703 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« on: April 10, 2003, 11:50:29 AM »
(Moving this over from GameCube Discussion)

Everybody loves the fact that the Cube comes in different colors.  Well how's this as an idea for the next console?  Sell it in default black, but have a detachable outer casing that you could replace with new "shells" only sold on Nintendo.com. That'd be brilliant. You could have any color of the rainbow. Nintendo could release new shells to commemorate key game releases, like a solid gold shell with a TriForce symbol on it to commemorate the release of the next Zelda game. Just like the Metroid Prime emblems that were packaged with the Prime bundle in Europe, only taken to the next level.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Fammy2000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 12:04:07 PM »
Not a bad idea! No reason a person couldn't be a second or third shell. But then you'd lose the Billy's of the world. The people who cave in and buy a special edition system just because "it's cool".

A few companies sold "stickers" for various consoles. That is a terrible idea. I remember som horrible ones for the PS2.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 09:51:09 PM »
hey... thats just crazy enough to work, also with detachable shells, people could paint and customise them to their hearts content without fear of damaging the internals of the system. would bring the idea of casemods to nintendo!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 09:53:58 PM »
You can already replace the logo on your GameCube with various custom ones.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 08:30:01 AM »
Yeah, but your GameCube is still that dorky purple color.  I'm talking full customization here.

Heck, Nintendo could even have an art contest to see who could paint the best shell.  You could have celebrity artists paint a shell, sign it and then auction it on eBay and give the money to charity.  It's a fantastic idea.

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 10:04:24 AM »
Actually my GameCube is Jet Black.  I must admit that I was mighty tempted to buy the "dorky purple" one, but I just love the color black.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 12:01:58 PM »
It's not "dorky" purple. It's "girlee" purple. Or something like that.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 02:00:18 PM »
bite me, its 'leet' purple am i less of a man because i think the purple owns?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 04:32:19 PM »
Well, mine's "dorky" purple with a shiny platinum GBP.  :-D
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 11:13:02 AM »
Yikes, didn't know that people were so sensitive about the color of their GameCubes.  Don't take it personal y'all  

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 01:36:13 AM »

my purple is teh leet!!
i even got cobolt SP to somewhat match i want to paint my snes purple too
CAUSE PUPRLE > *!

Offline TOY

• View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2003, 07:18:27 PM »
That's an interesting idea, now let me tell you why you'll never see it. First of all, I assume the controller ports and internal fan are attached to the case and Nintendo would probably be afraid people would break something. Second, and this is a big one, I guarantee you Nintendo Doesn't want the average Joe poking around inside the system. Can you say "LAWSUIT" the first time some idiot tries to put on his shiny new case without unplugging the system and gets zapped. Remember this is the country where you can sue McDonalds for burning yourself with hot coffee. Unfortunately, idiots and lawyers do exist, which keeps the folks with enough common sense to unplug the system before switching cases from ever having the chance to.

TOY

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 04:37:54 AM »
But you wouldn't have to muck around inside the console.  It would be a shell that would go around the console, then you could snap/screw it together.

If they can design the Wavebird they should have no problem with this one.

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2003, 07:07:42 AM »
Or maybe something cheeper like a skin that goes over the consoles. (Cheeper to make and package.) Its feesible, the cell phone industry has been doing this for almost a decade, it elminate the stupid "kiddy....etc" color argument since you can techinically get them in the color you want. ANd they wouldn't have to spend money making and entire different color. So all of them could be one base color.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2003, 02:56:27 PM »
My gamecube is 1337 not leet :-P

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2003, 09:48:42 PM »
that purple is my favorite color.  I am engaged, watch sports am manly yada yada yada.  But that purple is so cool.  it is the black i cant stand.  so boring.  no fun.  but thats why i like variety, however i do think they shouldn't do the shells, only because there is nothing cool to ask than, what color cube ya got.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 02:00:46 PM »
How exactly would you switch shells? Would there be a base cover alread on, and thenyou just cover it over with a new shell? Also how would you keep the shell in place? Remember Nintendo does not like too many moving parts, so I doubt we would use screws. Any ideas?

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2003, 11:47:24 PM »
Where are all you getting purple cubes?
Only ones I have seen are indigo, black , spice, and platinum?

Indigo is  actually  more blue then purple for all you who  have not studied, breathed and lived art for the last 25 years of your life. And believe it or not it is actually considered a male dominant color. A baby blue or pastel purple would have been  a different story.

Hell I'd love to see a chartreuse cube. That would get me out buying a second one for sure. Lol

no idea where some of you are getting your facts?
in high school maybe?

if so then that explains it all.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2003, 11:15:47 AM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
How exactly would you switch shells? Would there be a base cover alread on, and thenyou just cover it over with a new shell? Also how would you keep the shell in place? Remember Nintendo does not like too many moving parts, so I doubt we would use screws. Any ideas?

I'd say sell it with a black shell by default.  Black is a "safe", generic color.  True, Nintendo would want as few moving parts as possible (saves money and tech support) so screws would be out.  Just design the console so you could have a top half and a bottom half that snapped together.  Then people could get any color they want, or ever personalize it by painting it or something.

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2003, 01:52:45 PM »
Black cube and lovin' it, baby.

That's a pretty good idea, but it would increase the risk of damage, which I doubt Nintendo wants to do.  It's an interesting possibility, though, if it'd work.  Why not mail it off to Nintendo and suggest it?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2003, 05:02:58 PM »
theres a site called color consoles (colorconsoles.com) that lets you customize the color of any system, but it costs about 50$. You can change any part of the system to the color you want. Also available for PS2 x box and GBA
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Shells, baby, shells
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2003, 09:15:22 PM »
didnt billy get one of his owned by color consoles....and owned poorly
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post