Author Topic: So...the Dark Knight?  (Read 61482 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: So...the Dark Knight?
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
I still think Two-face should of got his own film, not be part of this one. If I didn't already know that Heath Ledger died after the film was in post-production, I would've swore they did that as a necissary filler because a main character was gone. Since thats not the case though, I'm mad at that decision.

Oh and wasn't Batmans voice even more extreme in Batman Begins? I didn't like it either but i prefer the more toned down version in this film then the other.

I gotta buy this dvd...hm..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2008, 05:31:09 PM »
I still think Two-face should of got his own film, not be part of this one. If I didn't already know that Heath Ledger died after the film was in post-production, I would've swore they did that as a necissary filler because a main character was gone. Since thats not the case though, I'm mad at that decision.

Oh and wasn't Batmans voice even more extreme in Batman Begins? I didn't like it either but i prefer the more toned down version in this film then the other.

I gotta buy this dvd...hm..

They should have brought in Kevin Conroy to do voice dubbing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »
I didn't mind Batman's voice.  I minded the fact that Bruce Wayne has absolutely no personality.

It was really hard to empathize with his character.  In Batman Begins there was a side-story that focused on Bruce Wayne's coming to terms with his second identity and what he needed to do to separate that character from his real identity.  In The Dark Knight there was no character at all--Bruce was little more than a vehicle to move Batman from scene to scene.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
That's who that dude was, the Scarecrow.  Could not think of his name.

I just meant that sometimes there was this super-serious scene going on and I'd kind look at Batman and think how ridiculous he looked, and it would take me out of the moment.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
I didn't mind Batman's voice.  I minded the fact that Bruce Wayne has absolutely no personality.

It was really hard to empathize with his character.  In Batman Begins there was a side-story that focused on Bruce Wayne's coming to terms with his second identity and what he needed to do to separate that character from his real identity.  In The Dark Knight there was no character at all--Bruce was little more than a vehicle to move Batman from scene to scene.

really? he didn't have as much character as the first movie but it was there. He was pining for Rachael who couldn't accept who was taking over (batman over bruce), and thank god was in a less emo way than peter parker vs spiderman. He also struggled with the whole "how to stop evil without becoming it" issue that the joker was trying to bring out in everyone.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
Batman doesn't need vudu's empathy, he's Batman. The point of how Bruce was potrayed in this film vs. the first one was how the Batman persona has completely consumed him by this point, and Bruce is just a mask. All he used Bruce Wayne for was to further his ends as Batman. That's what Rachel meant when she said Gotham city would no longer need Batman, but Bruce still would.

Chirstopher Nolan mentioned in the BluRay live chat that makeshift Bat cave in this movie was to illustrate the quality of life he was leading. It was sparse and empty save for the tools he was using at the time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2009, 02:58:16 AM »
batman has 3 personalities..he's playboy Bruce Wayne, he's the real Bruce, and then he's batman

when Rachel died you saw the real Bruce, when he's got two hotties on his side thats the playboy front he puts out for the media, batman is batman
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #232 on: January 01, 2009, 05:31:11 AM »
I think they should've left Two-Face alive.  I feel that with Heath Ledger dead, the next movie is going to seem so detached from this one.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 01, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »
You make an excellent point Perm, Chuck Dixon, one of the Batman comic writers, agreed with the point that there was the Bruce Wayne mask, Batman, then there was the most real personality that was displayed in the comics when he was interacting with Alfred, Nightwing, or Robin in the Batcave. In the Nolanverse, the only person who ever sees this side of him is Alfred.

I wish Two Face was kept alive just so he could be shown in Arkham Asylum in the next movie and Bruce wouldn't have Harvey's blood on his hands.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #234 on: January 01, 2009, 05:59:09 AM »
No more Batman for another decade, plz.

We all saw what happened during Val Kilmer's reign of terror.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 01, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Finally read this whole thread.  In terms of the rise of the "Event Movie", I think it has more to do with technology than anything else.  The rise of television as a mass-market medium (which began in the 60's, but really started to take off in the 70's) meant that you could now advertise films on a massive scale.  Furthermore, TVs led to VCRs and DVDs, which set the bar higher for what people were willing to leave their house for and pay extra to see at a theater.

These days, the biggest theater releases are event movies because people can't get that same feeling of spectacle on a TV at home.  However, they can pretty much enjoy a comedy or drama to the same degree at home or at a theater, so most people go for the cheaper option.  40 years ago there was no such option, since television was still growing and going to the theater was the only way to see first-run movies.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Lindy makes a good point. The human psyche has an inherent need to be part of an audience, a group of followers, sometimes. The bigger the spectacle, the more you feel like you are part of the audience. That's why going to the movies is a social experience, not just watching the film.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 01, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
Lindy makes a good point. The human psyche has an inherent need to be part of an audience, a group of followers, sometimes. The bigger the spectacle, the more you feel like you are part of the audience. That's why going to the movies is a social experience, not just watching the film.

Is that why I'd rather stay at home and watch a movie, but because I'm impatient waiting for it I FORCE myself to go to the theater even though I hate the environment and prefer to go when no one is there?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 01, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Is that why I'd rather stay at home and watch a movie, but because I'm impatient waiting for it I FORCE myself to go to the theater even though I hate the environment and prefer to go when no one is there?

No. You're just a freak. Like me! movie quote

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I like going to the movies, but I hate opening day crowds.  They suck.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »
I hate movie theaters. Whenever I am paying for a movie, I always go at the same time, every time: early Sunday afternoon. No one is there and that's just how I like it. Unless it's IMAX.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »

No. You're just a freak. Like me! movie quote

This made me LOL. Kudos

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:20 AM »
i just like watching movies, i have noticed that at many points my inappropriate laughter seems out of place. The Dark Knight isn't just a Batman movie, its a Film. Its deep and artistic, actually so was Batman Begins. I have watched many a iteration of Batman. I watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm the other day, and its hard to think something so well made was being made at roughly the same time as the likes of Batman Forever. The cartoon movie is way more deep than the live action movies were at the time. The 90s were overall just a terrible decade for movies. I can't even watch X-men and take it serious anymore. Just too many damned Xes everywhere.I can imagine the movie being soo much better, and at the same time have guys in yellow jumpsuits.

but you know what GI J0E is going to really suck. Really , really suck. I just can't see it as being anything more than a movie aimed at selling toys and being cartooney as ****. IMO if their going to make it on film, it had better be a film. Dark Knight was way too successful to go down the path it looks like their going down. Although, i'm pretty sure that part of the success has to do with Ledger's death and not anything to do with the fact that the movie was really good.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2009, 05:20:09 AM »
What?! You don't like the cartoon X-Men?! That's fucking strange. I love them shits to death.

It may have been over the top at some points, but at others, it had some pretty good drama.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »
I think he's talking about X-Men, the movie. It is pretty stupid with the "X-COM" or whatever that cell phone thing is.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »
oh no i loved the x-men cartoon..well the 90s one anyways. None of that xmen kids crap that came on whatever it was called.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
X-Men: Evolution?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
yeah x-men evolution the only thing cool about that show was wolverine, it seriously was xmen kids. I know that in the beginning of the comic it really was more academy like, but that was when it was lame and no one liked it.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »
Sorry for bumping, but I FINALLY got around to seeing "The Dark Knight".

Simply put, it was awesome. I expected it to be good, but I never expected how great it would be.  The story, character development, the action, the scenes nearly everything enthralled me.

What truly surprised me was how many action scenes the film had, despite its storytelling appeal. The whole thing was one big action sequences, from start to finish. The Joker's schemes were great, if a bit "Saw" inspired. This film made him look like a terrorist rather than a criminal. Not a bad thing, but it surprised me they went for the criminal genius look to him.

The scene in which he explodes the hospital...amazing. I think they DID blow a building up. The Joker's reaction was fantastic.

Harvey Dent was a really well written character and nearly stole the spotlight from Bruce and The Joker. Too bad he might never appear, unless they pull off the classic comic book death and he comes back somehow. Also, I was surprised that they killed off Rachel, but it was vital in order to developer Two Face.

Now my biggest worry is; will the third film live up to the first and second one? As you guys might have noticed, many films lose their spark by the third film. Pirates, Shrek, Batman, X-men, Spider-Man and many more started to suck by the third film. The Joker might not be dead, but Heath Ledger is. How can that performance be topped if The Joker was to return? "The Dark Knight" really developed Batman as someone who is struggling between being a hero and a vigilante. How can this be developed further in the sequel? They refuse to allow Robin into the Nolan films...

But despite that great film.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
Christ Nolan, etc will definitely take their time to make it, unlike all the other franchises out there.

Matrix 2 & 3, Pirates 2 & 3, and even Back to the Future 2 & 3 were made back to back and were hence rushed. X-Men 3 changed directors (from Bryan Singer to Brett "I like to think I can make movies" Ratner), Spiderman 3 was waaay too campy, and Shrek totally lost its identity from a smart parody to spot-that-pop-culture-spoof in the vein of Date Movie etc.

The way the tone changed so dramatically from Batman Begins to Dark Knight can never really be repeated when Batman 3 comes out.

All the action scenes were done for real! - the hospital blow up (that's why Joker's reaction is totally genuine!), the tumbler and batpod chases, the HK building jump, the truck flipping over - and that makes TDK something really special. Batman 3 is definitely going to be good :D
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence