Author Topic: So what are your disappointments with Wind Waker  (Read 18786 times)

Offline Okiva77

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
So what are your disappointments with Wind Waker (Spoilers)
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2003, 12:57:08 PM »
I am really hating warping and sailing around getting those damned triforce pieces.
The best part of the game so far for me in terms of combat is the Savage Dungeon. Finally, some challenge.
And for real! The puzzles in this game are 99% weak. Half the time I walk into a room, I freelook about the area and can already figure everything out.
It's really a bummer. It's like a twinkie that didn't get enough filling.
Come on Nintendo!!! Mario's been stained, not Zelda too! Why are you doing this to me???
AC info
Town:Zanzibar
Character:Johnny

"i'm walking through the desert, and i am not frightened
although it's hot.
i have all that i requested, and
i do not want what i haven't got."

(god bless you, sinead)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2003, 02:05:55 PM »

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2003, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2003, 02:05:59 PM »
GameCube is known as the "kiddie console" and Zelda seems to confirm it.  It's like the game was designed for a kid's level of intelligence.

Troy

Offline zumpiez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2003, 03:17:18 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
GameCube is known as the "kiddie console" and Zelda seems to confirm it.  It's like the game was designed for a kid's level of intelligence.

Troy

And yet on the day of it's release people were posting in here thinking the words Sidle and Fell were typos.
Zelda > *

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2003, 09:12:29 AM »
True....but we were discussing the game's *difficulty* not the language.  The game's puzzles and bosses are soooo easy that it's like Nintendo targeted 10-yr-olds.

Troy

Offline codyy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2003, 02:19:34 PM »
theaveng-what are you, a cube hater? If you are what are you doing on this forum? Go back to that rock you live under.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2003, 05:24:31 PM »
Yeah, if you don't like the game theaveng that's fine, but you don't have to let us know repeatedly why you don't like it and try to ruin it for the rest of us by being so negative. Yes, the game has its faults and is on the easy side but it's still a great game. I really don't understand why people are so determined to prove why one game or another sucks. Especially when they are trying to prove it to people who are big fans of the game and really like. I don't like Final Fantasy or any other RPG for that matter but I don't go around to fan forums and tell everyone why RPGs suck. That's stupid not to mention a big waste of my time. You've made your point theaveng so just leave it alone. That goes for everyone else to. There's no sense arguing with him because his mind is made up.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline ArmchairAthlete

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2003, 10:36:14 PM »
I loved the game. 9.6 of 10 IMO. Here's a few gripes of mine. These may have been posted, I didn't read the whole thread. O well, more support if they have:

-I agree on having another couple dungeons. Nayru's Pearl DEFINITELY should have had a dungeon, and maybe a mini-dungeon or two could have been expanded into a full fledged dungeon or at least have gotten bigger. I don't care at all if it would've taken another month or so to come out since I just dust off the Gamecube whenever an AAA title comes out and spend 90% of my gaming time with online pc games.

-Bosses also seemed very easy, almost always didn't even need a fairy or potion! They should do something like twice as much damage as they do now. I want a patch err... this isn't Warcraft Expansion beta nevermind .

-Genral easiness all around. Nintendo probably didn't want the game to be too hard for the average player, the "Zelda vet" is in the minority most likely. I think I only died once and that was at the very beggining when I chopped up a pig so much it went postal and killed me... there was no way to get away! ah! Funny though.

-The stupid Pirate's Charm stone telling you almost exactly what to do and spoiling puzzles. Seems like sometimes I hadn't even been in a room a minute before the damn thing goes off, can't really ignore it since it is your A button... The "helpers" in later dungeons also give away puzzles. Guess they wanted to newbify the game some so begginers wouldn't get frustrated... yuck.

-The boat should have moved faster while sailing and cruising. Sitting there watching it take so long to get to a destination is boring. And yes I know you can teleport later on, you still have to sail quite a bit tough.

"--- The story was rather weak. I wish they had used more cutscenes explaining what the Master Sword is, why the Triforce is important, where Ganandorf came from, who the Goddesses are, why the Sages exist, and so on. They did this stuff in Ocarina, so don't understand why they skipped it here. After all, not everyone's played Ocarina. The backstory should have been fleshed out a little more."   -good one here.

-The tedious/overly long "find the triforce peices" crap. There should have been something like only 5 peices. Would have been great if one was in a real dungeon too.

-The Redead ripoffs. They took the most annoying enemy in OoT, and just copied the same thing into Wind Waker. Bleh. Shoulda made a new "zombie" enemy I suppose.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Still a great game of course.  

EDIT: Another thought: all the time they wasted on the "Tingle Tuner" to get people to buy a GBA was stupid. The effort should have gone into another dungeon, something everyone could have enjoyed.  Who needs more help in these dungeons anyhow?
-------------------------------
http://armchair.8m.com

Offline odinfire

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2003, 12:58:41 PM »
Whoa Hoooo Hooo!  I just cant believe you guys are sooo against the great fairies in OoT and MM.  My friends and I loved their crazy screams!  Even now when we played the Master Quest we had to just laugh.  I guess we just found their "thrusting" back and forth amusing and wondered why exactly the programmers made them the way they did.  It just seemed like they put them there just to break up the seriousness.  And yes I agree in OoT they did look rather "overt" in nature but thats why we got such a good laugh.  Their sexuality was just too much!   I mean come on... One of them was bent over forward with her butt up in the air thrusting herself back and forth.  You know they did it for laughs.  Actually my friends and I thought the programmers of OoT had an "extra" good time with programming the great fairies.  It was just one of those things where we thought they would try to top the madness they had already established.  But... I suppose popular opinion is against such craziness.  Oh well.  Just one question though...

What ever happened to the overly "plump" fairy in LttP?  I hope she's doing ok.    

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2003, 09:04:15 AM »
My only real complaint about Zelda: The Wind Waker was that the story did nothing to help fill in any gaps in the series.

If the King of Hyrule could plead to the Goddess' to flood Hyrule, why couldn't he have just pleaded for them to save the land, instead of flooding the land (which is stupid in itself, but this way Nintendo can conveniently get the game they want)?  And why at the end did he use the Triforce to wash away the castle instead of saving the land?  By my account Zelda 2: Adventures of Link should be the last game in the series, and if Hyrule was flooded in Wind Waker, which is set about 100 years after Ocarina of Time and before A Link to the Past, then how would the New Hyrule (it would have to be new since Old Hyrule was destroyed in Wind Waker) have their towns named after the Sages in Ocarina of Time? (I thought it a wonderful idea to give the Sages the same name's as the towns in Zelda 2, BTW) How would New Hyrule know about the Sages to name the towns after them?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is where Ganondorf becomes pig-man Ganon, or at least Nintendo wants us to think.  The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is where Ganondorf is already Ganon -aside from his short stint as the wizard Ahgnamin (sp?) and the instance of the Dark World being corrupted by him and became pig-man Ganon (I thought he was pig-man Ganon in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time at the last battle?, there are holes and inconsistencies in the stories.  How can he become pig-man in Ocarina when in A Link to the Past, the corruption of the Golden Land ala Dark World turns him into Ganon?)  This would make sense (him becoming pig-man in A Link to the Past; because in the very first The Legend of Zelda game, it is just pig-man Ganon and he his killed at the end and the whole premise of Zelda 2: Adventures of Links is about the forces of evil trying to resurrect Ganon.

The only thing I can think of is that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker takes place after the events of all the other previous Zelda games, meaning that every Zelda game previously has been within a 100 year time period.

MY ZELDA TIME LINE
1.   The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2.   The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3.   The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4.   The Legend of Zelda
5.   Zelda 2: Adventures of Link
6.   The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
7.   The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Season's
7.   The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Age's
   (The true ending of the Oracle games have pig-man Ganon in the process of being resurrected)
8.   The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

By my calculations, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is now the last game in the series story-wise, it would rule out a New Hyrule, at least until the next Zelda game, but doesn't help to fill in the gaps about the first truth of pig-man Ganon.  Was the pig-man Ganon at the end of Ocarina not really pig-man, but merely a form Ganondorf took on out of rage, and that he wasn't forever connected to the form, being that his corruption of the Golden Land into the Dark World making him pig-man Ganon by reflecting his true form (of course if he had the Moon Pearl he could just reverse the effects, or was he corrupted to the point that it was permanent?)

So, when did Ganondorf really become Ganon?

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2003, 02:19:18 PM »
I've got some complaints.

1. Draw distance
-Yes, draw distance. I don't care what Planet Gamecube says, blurry 2-D textures that substitute as islands are NOT impressive. The other islands fade out of texturing WAY too fast.

2. Dungeons
-Whoever said the Forbidden Fortress is a dungeon is glaringly blind. There are 5 dungeons. That's it. Dragon Roost Island, Forest Haven, Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple, Wind Temple.

DRI and TotG are the only comparable ones, design wise, to Majora's Mask and OoT. Does anyone have an idea how irratating it is that there are only 2 dungeons AFTER the 'big revelation' of Hyrule? Ocarina had 5. Nintendo released an inferior product. I'm amazed this is their headlining product.

Unfinished-a few more soon.
Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2003, 05:58:11 PM »
I think we have to remember that nintendo created WW, with the idea that anyone could pick it up and play.  What I mean is, not everyone has played through OoT 20+ times, if you have no past experience, WW could prove to be quite challenging.  By playing OoT and MM, you are now a pro to the Zelda series, and may find it to be a little easy.  I thought it was challenging, not hard, just challenging.  Cant wait for the seqeul.  Still gott finish the Master Quest, so I guess thats next.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2003, 03:44:29 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
True....but we were discussing the game's *difficulty* not the language.  The game's puzzles and bosses are soooo easy that it's like Nintendo targeted 10-yr-olds.

Troy

I have to agree.
it was time for a change.

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2003, 03:47:37 PM »

Originally posted by: LMSx
I've got some complaints.

1. Draw distance
-Yes, draw distance. I don't care what Planet Gamecube says, blurry 2-D textures that substitute as islands are NOT impressive. The other islands fade out of texturing WAY too fast.

2. Dungeons
-Whoever said the Forbidden Fortress is a dungeon is glaringly blind. There are 5 dungeons. That's it. Dragon Roost Island, Forest Haven, Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple, Wind Temple.

DRI and TotG are the only comparable ones, design wise, to Majora's Mask and OoT. Does anyone have an idea how irratating it is that there are only 2 dungeons AFTER the 'big revelation' of Hyrule? Ocarina had 5. Nintendo released an inferior product. I'm amazed this is their headlining product.

Unfinished-a few more soon.

I agree with everything except for the draw distance.  I was rather impressed with the draw distance.  However, I was so pissed that there were only 2 dungeons after the revelation.  I could not believe it. So thats my complaint.  The game was way too short, and it was not challenging.  It felt like a sidestory.  

it was time for a change.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2003, 09:49:44 PM »
i would say htat gannon was way too easy....i mean...it took me like 2 minutes to beat him my first time...and his little puppets were lame.....the sad fact is that gannon about as easy as a stalfos...less easy then an iron knight.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Biohazard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2003, 01:58:32 PM »
uh I don't know if you noticed or not but the Wind Waker's theme is blantily obvious and has been hammering you the whole time; break out of the past.  From the direction of the art style to the ending of the game, the Zelda series is changing folks...evolving so to say.  If the wind waker didn't "feel" like Zelda good, we need innovation and new ideas and how to use gamplay, you can only do so much after awhile it gets boring.  So stop complaining and let the series evolve into something new and fresh not just rehash after rehash.

(PS Sailing sucks horribly just to add)
Johnathon Fauker
----------------------
PlanetGamecube's Resident Evil Freak.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2003, 09:42:55 PM »
felt like zelda to me...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2003, 09:45:39 PM »
just dont get heart containers if you find it too easy.  i only have 6 and am near the end.  why do you think they made it opptional???
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline GeN

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2003, 07:06:38 AM »
Well if I hadn't played the original OOT on the bonus disc I would kind of agree with you on how hard WW is compared to OOT. But I did play the original OOT and to me they were both easy. Yes there was still a level of difficulty than WW but not enough to say that it was one of the thing that made WW bad.

I also think they ending of WW could have been more deeper after playing the original OOT. You go through all the trouble of saving your lil sister and bringing her back to the island just to see her and the the rest of the townspeople wave bye? I would've appriciated some thanks from his grandmother.

Other than those things I think the game is magnificent and would recommend it to any GCN owner.

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2003, 02:05:43 PM »
HOLY F*CKING SH*T You guys take your games way too seriously

*Ahem* Back to the topic.

Windwaker is the most well-rounded game in the series. Period. If you think otherwise explain to me how Lttp or OOT were better. I can beat Lttp in the course of 1 weekend. In OOT all they did was ship you to one dungeon after the next, much more repetetive. In WW you're never doing the same thing for two long. Now maybe this is just a personal preference for me but I enjoy side-quests more than dungeons. There's Just something about starting a new dungeon that makes my stomach quiver. OOT had about 15 NPC's. WW has like 50 NPC's along with about 50 islands. When I beat OOT I had nothing left to do. Theres still islands i havent visited in WW and i still have some items like the camera DX to find. Then when they released Majoras Mask they tipped the scales the opposite way Created much more side quests than dungeons. Anduntil going to forums online i had no gripes about the game. Windwaker has the perfect balance of dungeons and side-quests, well thats just what I think.

Now to the story-line.

For shame. All of you. This game breaks off with the traditional "Rescue the princess" story. And throws in twists and turns that are simply enthralling. I was engaged from start to finish. This is the only game i could play for more than 2 and a half hours.

Again explain to me why any other Zelda game is better. And try and do it professionaly like most of you do

PGC readers really DO bitch about everything!

"Money means absolutely nothing in the game. Its too easy to come by and there really is nothing to buy except bait and getting your maps read by tingle."

Guess you never played any auctions.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2003, 03:35:03 PM »
I only have a few minor things to add to this conversation... I find it quite interesting that some of you complain about "flaws" in TWW that are apparent in OOT as well. I guess the cel-shading just makes you want to notice the flaws eh?

BTW, I've been playing OOT and TWW back to back and I find OOT's bosses just as easy as TWW's. Ganon in OOT was also quite possibly one of the easiest last bosses I ever fought. I seriously wanted to get hit by that guy cause I was baffled at him. BTW, I never had to use a fairy or a potion in either OOT or TWW.

OOT's dungeons are harder, yes. But not by too much. The only really "tough" dungeon was the Water Dungeon but that was because you had to go through the same thing over and over again. You change the water level, and find out that you have to go all the way around to do it again. The rest of OOT's puzzles weren't really that tough.

This it not a bash towards OOT, I love both OOT and TWW, but I still stand that now that people have a style for the game that they dislike they are going to start pointing out flaws in TWW that they ignored in OOT.

Offline Cobot

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2003, 07:05:21 PM »
Hey,

Well, I'm only at the Earth/Wind temples, but I've explored the whole grid on the map, completed most of the minigames/sidequests, and I have to say that Zelda: WW is proably within my Top 3 games of all time!

Basically, what I like is the detail and character interaction (contrary to what someone else said earlier on). Character interaction, especially on Windfall Island (and even more with the pictobox and decorating the town), really impressed me. People have a good amount to say and most of it is interesting. This is the first game to give me a tear, because the part with his grandmother (when you heal her) reminded me of my grandmother (who has since passed away). And did anyone notice that when you get the deed to the cabana, the square on the map changes the island name to "YOURNAME Oasis", so for me it was Cobot's Oasis. Cool. I think I like it more than some other people because I prefer the sidequests and interacting with people more than the dungeons.

What I didn't like was mostly tied with sailing. I think that the warp should have been essential the game rather than something you might find out, and I was forced to changed the wind TOO OFTEN. It became very annoying. Other than that, I was actually hoping for another town like Windfall, rather than most people looking for more dungeons.

A fantastic game, and even though it was released with axed dungeons, we should all appreciate the polish in the game. Wow!!!

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2003, 12:02:21 PM »
Wind Waker's a great game, and I enjoy the sailing aspect.  However, one negative really just brings the game down.

The game's WAY too easy.  Simply too easy.  I did not die even once.  Whenever an enemy or a boss hit me, it usually just took one quarter of a heart off.  That means it would require four hits in most cases just to take off one of Link's hearts.  Not to mention Elixir Soup just made the game three times easier.    

Other negatives are really small complaints about the game.  Overall, it was just the difficulty that was the problem.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2003, 12:28:06 PM »
Some little things bother me, like when I accidentally press R while being someone else, then have to play the song again.  Stuff like that.  The game is easy, but I think that's mostly just because the fighting is so effective, once you master it.  One method that may help: don't use elixer soup. I only use it to restore magic.

There was something else that bugged me, but I can't remember what.  Oh well. . . mustn't be that important.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>