Author Topic: Wait . . . what is the reasoning behind Wii not getting StarWars: TFU?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
So I saw on 1Up (and then later the official game web site) that Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is being release for every system except the Wii.

This includes the Nintendo DS, PSP and PS2.

What gives Lucas Arts?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
They noticed that all the games on the Wii are ports, so they are waiting till it releases on every other system that way it has the "port" label when it comes to the Wii. :P
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
To high of Fan expectations for the controls.  Everyone would want the game to have 1 to1 light saber battles.  When they can't deliver the game will be dinged.  On the other hand if they release it on everything else, their target audience will probably own one of those systems and buy the game for that with a traditional control scheme.  Once the game has proven successful and if people start claiming that it could really be enhanced by Wii controls a Wii version will game with the time needed to put on correct controls and effectively take a game that went to bargain price by then, sell it for like $10 more then bargain price, and double dip with the fans.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
Game is being made in australia, Its not like EA or activision where they add wii expierenced people to a project to make a down port
they would beed to hire people from other countrys, only expierenced people would be from the koa the kangroo team (gamecube)

lucas arts has little to do with the team

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
I think sometimes the Wii is getting left out because it's too different and will require too much work for a multiplatform game.  The PS3 and Xbox 360 wil use pretty much the same game.  Same with the PS2 and PSP.  The DS is the oddball but it's also the clear market leader and it's probably much easier to code for the touchscreen (pretty much just like a mouse) then it is for the remote.  A Wii game takes more effort.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
I guess.....but money fuels businesses and not developing for the Wii is stupid "let's not make money" decision.

Everyone is waiting for THE star wars game (yes even you Ian), so why not make it?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
Thats the point Requiem.  People are waiting for "THE star wars game" not A star wars game.  Something definitive and thats why everyone has shied away from it on the Wii.  As a brand the Star Wars Franchise still has a lot of potential but it has burn people many ah times.  I stick by my answer to you Mashiro.  People are waiting for a Star Wars experience worthy of the movies themselves.  Nothing less will satisfy and receive the sales needed to justify its existence.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
I thought the Wii was getting left out because it wasn't powerful enough to handle the advanced systems that Lucasarts was putting into the game? After all, it will feature their new procedural animation, as well as digital molecular matter for procedural breaking apart of objects. Maybe these things could be scaled down for a Wii version, but that DOES sound like a lot of work, to rip out the technology that Lucasarts is using the game as a key example of so it can license the tech out later on.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Same reason they haven't ported any of their classic adventure games to DS, they hate money. Sega Jr.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
This might be off topic, but if you're playing as Vader's secret apprentice and sent to kill Jedi, why does all the concept art have stormtroopers getting killed ALL the time? Shouldn't you be beating up some Rebels?
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Power. Simply put, the Wii does not have enough processor power to handle the physics in this game, which is the main draw.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
Power-schmower. Why are PS2, DS, and PSP getting versions of the game, then?
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
PSP port plz.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Wait . . . what is the reasoning behind Wii not getting StarWars: TFU?
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
This might be off topic, but if you're playing as Vader's secret apprentice and sent to kill Jedi, why does all the concept art have stormtroopers getting killed ALL the time? Shouldn't you be beating up some Rebels?

Yeah, I was really confused about that as well.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 08:55:10 AM »

Originally posted by: 31 Flavas
Power-schmower. Why are PS2, DS, and PSP getting versions of the game, then?

Because they're getting way watered down versions of the game. Instead of sticking us with another crappy PS2 port, Lucasarts is being nice (in the same way that euthanizing is nice) and just not giving us anything.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 09:01:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot

Yeah, I was really confused about that as well.

If both of you had the chance to download and watch a recent interview for this game that is available at gametrailers (I think it's on Bloodworth's thread) you would have heard that even Emperor Palpatine knows nothing about this secret apprentice, so in the beginning of the game the apprentice has chosen neither side, so all those stormtroopers are just cannon fodder for possibly Vader's own secret plans against the empire. I might be slightly wrong but that's the gist of it.  

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
You want an answer...

The Force isn't strong with the Wii...unless you're talking about non-gamer Force...now that's what they need...a light saber exploration game where you travel across the galaxy dissecting animals and plants with your light saber...AND...its going to have 1 to 1 saber control...and a camera to take pictures so you can send it to your friends via WiiConnect 24.

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
Internets been down for two days so I will agree with the sentiments that they are making sure Wii owners get THE definitive Star Wars game with 1:1 lightsaber combat.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wait . . . what is the reasoning behind Wii not getting StarWars: TFU?
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:09 AM »
Bump of changing fates!

As well all know, Wii is getting Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Complete with extra waggle and battle modes. Here's a special effect filled screenshot I stole from IGN:

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 12:23:36 PM »
I wish that screenshot were from the Wii version, but the original is too high res to be for the Wii.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
I'm still grappling with the whole will all the procedural stuff be on the Wii? But then again Just Cause was released on PS2 and Frontier: Elite was released on DOS so I guess, I guess Wii is man enough to handle it.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
I'm sure Wii dev systems can output at higher resolutions that 480p. That screenshot is from the Wii version - while impressive, the 360/PS3 versions look a million (yes) times better.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
I would totally get another console version for the better graphics it weren't for that damn battle mode.  Smooth move, Nintendo.
Come play with my Twitter.