Author Topic: Miyamoto comments on next gamecube pokemon..  (Read 5407 times)

Miyamoto comments on next gamecube pokemon..
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:02:16 PM »
Over at cube-europe.com they have some quotes from an interview with miyamoto in the lastest famitsu.  Visit the site for other interesting info stated by miyamoto.  Basically it states that Nintendo is workin on a new Pokemon for gamecube and that it is in developement with strong allies.

My question is what allies do you think this is and what does this mean for the actual game.  Are we seeing another battles game or is it a true full fledged RPG?

I for one am hoping for Camelot, Square-Enix, or any veteran RPG teams involvement becuase that'll nearly ensure that it'll then be a full fledged RPG of high production values.  What do you people think?
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto comments on next gamecube pokemon..
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:08:25 PM »
Well, if it's for GC, I think it'll probobly be another Pokemon Channel/Pokemon Stadium. I honestly can't see Nintendo making a decent game of this when they could be further milking their once-beloved it instead.

RE:Miyamoto comments on next gamecube pokemon..
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 07:18:53 PM »
I would suspect that also but the fact that they are stating strong allies are involved is leading me to think that it has to be something more.  Theres no need for strong allies if it were just more of the usual.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:40:26 PM »
Yeah, but 'strong allies' could mean anything from a second party to Sega. On top of that, there's a possible dodgy translation involved.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 09:27:02 PM »
I believe it's a mistranslation and he said Nintendos "strongest members" are developing it. EAD perhaps? I dunno.

If this turns out to be a great game it could sell a lot of GCs since GC is pretty much the same price as GBA (cheaper in some parts of the world) and a lot of people bought a GBA for Pokemon.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 03:19:42 AM »
I don't see making another "Stadium" style game, since the current one supports all current (and Emerald) Pokemon titles. Nor do I think they're going to make a MMORPG.
It might be something completely unexpected, maybe some sort of Pokemon adventure game or maybe a Mario Party style game. Or maybe they'll surprise us all and make an actual Pokemon RPG.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 04:11:29 AM »
I hope if they decide on a Pokemon RPG, they'll be more polygons for each pokemon or better yet some wicked cel-shading.  I'm tired of nondescript pokemon.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 06:54:09 AM »
Square made similar games in the past (namely Final Fantasy), Sega has experience with "M"MORPGs on the Cube, Camelot made RPGs and is associated with Nintendo. I'd guess one of those three.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »
maybe I'll finally get my action rpg with voice acting for the pokemone.  and a useful relationship system.  I really want to hear the pokemon do more than grunt.  It would make an average port soo much better.

Offline - dragon -

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 08:39:10 AM »
listening to pokemon screaming is fun but i am not sure if there will be another pokemon gameon the gamecube. it's worth waiting to see what happens. but if does come out will it be any good?

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 09:34:38 AM »
I'm starting to think it could be a true RPG in the same sence that the gameboy games are.    They toyed with the notion in the last gamecube stadium game with its diet RPG section.  Maybe they used that to test the waters and now are jumping in.  I'm sure it'll also connect in one way or another with the next Gameboy Pokemon games, the ones that are supposed to be the true sequals to emerald and whatnot.  

What if they release this next gamecube game and the next gameboy game together and have them connect in order to collect all the pokemon.  Instead of having 2 slightly different versions on gameboy (ex red and blue) they release one game on the gameboy and one on gamecube.  The game will have exlcusive pokemons for gamecube and gameboy, in order to collect them all you'll need to trade between the 2.  In that way, they can almost force the huge pokemon fanbase on the gameboy to invest on a gamecube if they havent already.  

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
Maybe it'll have the 2.5D graphics like LoZ:FSA and you'll be able to explore Kanto, Johto, and Hoen. That'd be worth the buy at $45. If they include the Sevii islands and perhaps the Orre region (although that'd be useless) then that would be worth $50. Also an opportunity to include ALL of the pokémon in the game would be really nice. Then you'd have lastibility.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 01:17:47 PM »

Originally posted by: MaleficentOgre
pokemone. I really want to hear the pokemon do more than grunt.

Pokemon Sex Party comin' like what?

I hope Square-Enix develops it, and the RPG follows the anime's storyline. Final Fantasy plus low budget anime, what a brilliant combo! Just think, you could wake up one morning and head on over to Oak's in a wonderful restricting environment. Some dramatic music would play as you enter, Oak looks in your general direction.

"ASH, YOU WERE THE LAST HOPE THIS PATHETIC WORLD HAD AND YOU WOKE UP TOO LATE. YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL"
"No it's not like that.......................... ............................... ..........................."
"Take this remaining Pokemon, Ash. I never want to see you again" *Eyes start shaking*
"Thankyou.... Professor.... Oak................... ............................................"

*THREE HOURS OF ........... LATER*

You walk outside, a 45 minute FMV video plays. It's the sky.
"Come on, Pikachu... We... Must.. Battle... The trainers.. FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY"
"PIKA"
"Why are you so mean to me, Pikachu? FINE, I HATE YOU"

The next five discs would be a mini-game where Ash sits on a rock in the middle of nowhere thinking about his life. You have to keep slapping yourself in the face to prevent dying of boredom. I think it'll be a smash hit.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 03:29:47 PM »
Infernal Monkey, you are the GREATEST! That mockery of FF games made my day.

I can't wait for the next sequel to FF7... "Cloud's Bad Day"
Cloud: Oh, I woke up and my hair was messed up!
*pouts over the next ten discs*

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 05:47:39 PM »
Hopefully it'll be online!
*40 Cloud's with bad hair running around hitting invisible barriers everywhere ASL????'ing up the joint*

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 01:54:04 AM »
Yeah! Online Pokemon! I'd be all for online, if it were free!
If its not, it better be worth paying for.
But then with Australia, we'd get the "No online mode" sticker

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 10:16:25 AM »
If I can't have my 3D Earthbound RPG then I sure as hell better get my 3D pokemon RPG.  My GCN is hungry for more RPG than I can feed it.  

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 03:56:51 AM »
Why are they making us wait until E3?  We all know they have two choices for their future, pull out some aces next year for the Cube or drop the Cube.  They need to stop making vague comments in interviews and just show us something.  Nothing would raise sales of Cubes this fall like some footage of the new Zelda, Pokemon, or Mario, but they don't have that probably because the games are all really going to their new system.  A MMORPG developed by Square involving the Pokemon license is what one would call a make or break game.  A large scale standalone Squre/Enix/Nintendo Pokemon 3d online game that also ineracts with saved data from 2d Pokemon games with a Mario 128/ Marionette/ Mario Net and a realistic Zelda sounds like the kind of fall lineup people told Nintendo to release four years ago.  There is the chance that it could be too little too late for the Cube even with such possibility left, unfortunately the public perception is it is somewhere between tiku tiku tiku!  and dead.  Mostly because people havn't heard about a GameCube or GameCube game since last fall when MKDD outsold everything.  The momentum vanished.  

So why would such a perfect strategy as a MMORPG Pokemon be a make or break deal?  Well it sets the tone for the next Nintendo console.  Particularly the success or lack of will affect the next console's success.  It will put Cube back on the table in front of everyone's eyes (remember FFCC), but if it fails to sell well just because it was too little too late then every developer will believe it imposible to sell a game on a Nintendo system.  Developers don't think the system is very secure.  Big hitting series have sold poorly on Cube like MGS, FF, RE, and even Nintendo's own.  Their other choice, to release the next sytsem with all the goods, Mario 128, Pokemon online, and Zelda next fall would be way better for Nintendo.  They simply hit the reset button and pull in new gamers, current quberts, the dwindling Sony market, and hardcore Xbots with their biggest punches for a launch lineup with fresh graphics, new controller, and online.  People say they can't abandon their current market, to that I say what current market.  This might be their last chance, they know Nintendo fans and families will have no choice but to buy the next system.  The people they are concerned about are the millions who don't have a Cube and won't have one.  If they start fresh, early, and aggressive they can pull in people with broken Xboxes and PS2s.  They can get people who stopped gaming to game again.  If a badass Pokemon online, Mario 128, and mature Zelda were really released on the Cube before its death and they all succeded exceedingly then the transition into the next console wouldn't rely so heavy on the launch lineup, but I don't think they should take any chances, they need their biggest guns for their launch, whenever it is.  If they release games on the Cube they will only be played by us.  

Would you rather see the next system launch with the ultimate Mario game or would you rather have Luigi Dancin?  Because MS has been planning for a while it seems and looks to launch with the likes of Perfect Dark Zero, our former darling.  Other games that may release around Xbox 2 will be Kameo, maybe even Conker if it is delayed too, and Halo 2 Directors Cut.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 05:23:09 AM »
"Why are they making us wait until E3?"

Because normal people like surprises...That and the fact that the game wouldn't be out till late next year at the earliest makes it quite pointless to reveal the game at this point in time...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 06:20:38 AM »
If they truly have little to nothing left outside of something secret then I believe it would be in their best interest to show that they have something besides Zelda coming out on the Cube.  Until we see any of these games in playable form on the Cube there is no way to be sure.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 07:23:21 AM »
"So why would such a perfect strategy as a MMORPG Pokemon be a make or break deal? Well it sets the tone for the next Nintendo console. Particularly the success or lack of will affect the next console's success."

I agree that the Revolution's success will be affected by the Cube's performance towards the end.  A big game, like the new Zelda, won't "save" the Cube in the sense that it will dig it out of the hole it's in but it will help.  Nintendo just bluntly killed the N64 in early 2001 and it really hurt the Cube's launch later that year because Nintendo had removed themselves from the console spotlight (obviously they were still in the portable spotlight) and interest going in wasn't as high as it would have been with a more seamless transition.  Plus they were basically selling PS2s to their own fanbase during the down time.  Keeping the Cube as a supported console right until the Revolution launch is important.

However I disagree that an online Pokemon title is the answer.  Sure it would probably sell really well but it would be a waste on the Cube.  Online is not ever going to catch on with the Cube userbase.  Nintendo has essentially sabotaged any chance of it being successful on the Cube with all their "online is bad" crap.  They've convinced online gamers to go somewhere else.  The game would sell probably on name alone but the online part wouldn't catch on and that would change the title from an amazing system seller to merely a high selling Cube game.  Plus by the time the game came out the Cube would have maybe a year left in its life.  Online RPGs have a limited life since they require constant maintenance.  Since the Cube only has a year left the game's life would be limited to only one year.  An online RPG should be released within the first two years of a console's life so that it has a few years to work with.

There needs to be a real balance with Nintendo's releases as they work to the Revolution launch.  Should they focus on the Cube's last few years or the Revolution launch?  They need to focus on both equally.  The Cube needs to have strong releases right into the Revolution launch to keep the userbase happy and ease them into the new console.  And the Revolution launch needs some big titles to bring in new people.  They have to balance it out and make sure both consoles are getting enough attention.