Author Topic: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Blaster Master: Overdrive  (Read 24826 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Blaster Master: Overdrive
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
One big downer: where are my metroids!? I loved seeing them in the original, but now they're AWOL. 
There were Metroids in the original game? Where?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
One big downer: where are my metroids!? I loved seeing them in the original, but now they're AWOL. 

I exaggerate. But look in Area 1, in the water portions. Sure, they might just be giant jellyfish. Buuuuuut...

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
After playing for a bit, I really wish they hadn't "Overdrived" the music, or at least added an option to play the classic music.

Well, maybe they did and kept it in the same place where they put the Widescreen toggle :(
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:51 AM »

I exaggerate. But look in Area 1, in the water portions. Sure, they might just be giant jellyfish. Buuuuuut...
Oh come on, that's totally a jellyfish. You're just seeing things.  :P

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 02:31:26 AM »
Soooo...is this scorpion boss supposed to NOT DIE? I have level 5 weapons (until he hits me) and he ain't goin' down.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:47 AM »
Seriously, that boss takes way too many hits. The fight is actually boring because of how long it takes.

Offline Crazyjoe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
This game is awesome, but just as tough as the original.  The second boss takes forever if you use the standard gun.  Switch to the rocket launcher for the first part of the fight, then finish it off with the standard gun after it changes its attack.  After beating the second boss, I can't figure out how to get to world 3.  Anyone know what to do next? 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
After beating the second boss, I can't figure out how to get to world 3.  Anyone know what to do next? 

The entrance is on the right side of Area 1. There's a long pit that you can now hover across.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Ah, the grenade pause cheat!  I totally forgot about that in the first Blaster Master.

Played this game for an hour or so the other night.  Pretty awesome, but did they have to make S.O.P.H.I.A. make noise every time it moves?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
Got this game last night because of the recommendations and wow. I couldn't put it down.

Scorpion boss killed me like 7 times, am I getting too old for gaming? Can't wait to explore the whole game.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »
Scorpion boss killed me like 7 times, am I getting too old for gaming?
Yes.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:10 PM »
Scorpion boss killed me like 7 times, am I getting too old for gaming?
Yes.

Ah, I knew it! Let's see how old I am when you get COD4:MW:P
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
I'm really enjoying it so far outside of the asinine control scheme. That bastard scorpion boss is made much harder by the fact that I have to curl my left hand around the Wii Remote in such a way that I might give myself carpal tunnel. Seriously, I have my left hand holding the B button to strafe, I move with the D-pad, and I'm pressing A to change weapons. It's freaking ridiculous.

I just beat the 3rd area, and I was on my way to Area 4 until I got there and died looking for a save point. Now it's bed.

This is kind of like a bite-sized Metroid-ish game. Doesn't seem to be as long or expansive, but it's still fun.

I like the music, but it gets so damn repetitive over time (same song for an area). And those sound effects are too blaring. I find myself turning down the volume because of them.

And that stupid boss comes back in Area 3! WTF?!?!?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
I agree with Lindy about the tank making noise whenever it's moving.   Just sort of seems unnecessary.

@Neal...Yeah, I agree about the music, too.  I'm a big fan of the music of the original game.  Repetitive music was acceptable in the 8-bit era (or maybe we just ignored it...but I know it got on my parents' nerves), but it sort of grates a little now.  It's too bad they didn't at least include some more ambient music in the loop. 

I'm behind the rest of you, as I haven't had the time to play for a couple of days. 

I would really like to see this 2D revival of old games continue on Wiiware, in general.  It's what I was originally hoping that Wiiware would accomplish. 

Sometimes, I wonder if A Boy and His Blob would have been more successful if they could have released the chapters on Wiiware over a period of a few months.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

AWESOME.  To me, they were always jellyfish before.  From this day forward, they are tributes to Metroid.  ;)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
Beat the damn scorpion last night thanks to my new ability to strafe. Still took forever, though. Using my new equipment, I zipped around Area 1 nabbing as many upgrades as I could. Tonight: Area 2!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:44:40 PM by Halbred »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »
If you're having trouble with a boss, remember that all three weapons can be upgraded to level 5, and that weapon power-ups regenerate each time you enter a cave. It may seem cheap, but a good strategy is to find an easy cave with at least two weapon pick-ups and just spend a few minutes repeating it. Having juiced weapons will help a LOT on bosses.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
I just read on the Wikipedia that the developer is working on a patch to address the control scheme complaints that would support the Classic Controller. If true, I'm very happy about it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
I just read on the Wikipedia that the developer is working on a patch to address the control scheme complaints that would support the Classic Controller. If true, I'm very happy about it.

Good.  This game would be many times more playable with a more standard controller with better button size and placement.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »

If this is true, I hope they add CC support and, most important of all, that they map the grappling hook to its own button. I'm okay with switching between the cannon and drill, and I really like how the hook is used, but switching to/from it all the time gets monotonous.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:55 AM »
That would actually be possible. Patching WiiWare games is easy because all they have to do is put the new version up on the Shop Channel and everyone can go download the game again. It wouldn't create an additional "patch file" or take up more data, either. I hope it happens, because the control issues are my only major complaint about the game.

Nintendo has already done this once, with ExciteBike World Rally, though nobody seems to know what the update did.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:21 AM »
Bit.Trip Beat also was patched, as was the VC version of Starfox 64.  There's a precedent for this.  Personally, I'd be absolutely thrilled if this game got patched.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
Just beat boss #2 on my first try! Either it was too easy or I'm getting better at this game. So far, so good!

You know what I'd like to see? An episodic Metroid WiiWare game, with each game being 1 area as big as the Blaster Master map.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »
Gradius Rebirth also received an update which included enhanced visuals, background music, changes to the scoring system and leaderboard.

Overdrive still has room to have another 100 blocks packed in, so I am sure they can throw in classic controller support, randomized level music (more than one repetitive track per level) and a couple more music tracks  :cool;
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
Gradius Rebirth also received an update which included enhanced visuals, background music, changes to the scoring system and leaderboard.

Overdrive still has room to have another 100 blocks packed in, so I am sure they can throw in classic controller support, randomized level music (more than one repetitive track per level) and a couple more music tracks  :cool;

That's odd. One of the game's North American publisher said that they were originally going to add a voice over for the intro, but they had to cut it because they'd hit the 42 meg limit. Maybe I just don't understand how the block system works, but if there are still a hundred left free, that explanation stops making sense.