Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199256 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2925 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
An Idiot Abroad

It's Ricky Gervais sending Karl Pilkington around the globe. If you don't know these people, then it's a comedian sending someone who hates to travel around the globe. This show is unintentionally hilarious. Karl's commentary is brilliantly pessimistic, but somehow agreeable. And through his eyes, you see why people really love to travel but don't mention roughly half of their experience when recollecting it.

Watch it. It's on Netflix. My favorite episodes are when he comes home at the end of the season.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:11 PM »
Power (50 Cent's new show on Starz)

Good.
summary: Black man from the streets, tries to "exit" the drug game and go legit by opening up a night club. He struggles to balance his street life/business, his club life/business and his family/love life without it all blowing up in his face.
more spoilery summary: Black man wants to minimize his involvement in the streets and focus on the legit Club life, much to the disappointment to his longtime friend and business partner who wants to keep both feet in the streets. Club Life/Business is seriously compromising Black Man's attention span and focus on the real business of pushing weight in the streets and keeping all the customers happy. That is the bread and butter after all.
Drama pops off when someone is out to break up the well oiled street trafficking thing they got going on by killing off business partners and associates, but they can't seem to get a beat on who has the motive, and who the hitter is. It also doesn't help that the DEA just came into town looking for their #1 supplier, and their paths cross in more ways than one.

It's 8 episodes long, and an easy watch. I recommend it.
good freshman season. I look forward to to see how they follow it up.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: August 22, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
That sound very Stereotypical. Also reminds me of Arrow.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: August 22, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
It may be sterotypical, but the partnership is Black man as bossman, his right hand and parter is an Irish white guy, the other business associates are of either Latin descent or Black as well, and the DEA is all shades but black (so far). There is a nice mix of everything except for asian at this point.
Women are good looking, and there is lots of sex and nudity (it is a Starz show).

I'm gonna guess the club **** is the part that reminds you of Arrow? but let me just tell you that this show is absolutely nothing like Arrow from a story perspective.

If you are looking for something new to watch, and this sounds even remotely interesting to you, I would suggest checking out the pilot. If you feel that, then you should like the rest of the show.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:59 PM »
Someone wanting to leave the life they had to redeem themselves.  Opens a Club.  Old Life keeps interfering or defining new life.  Family and love life keeps trying to blow up.

All White DEA.
Irish Mafia essentially.
Latin and Black in the drug trade.

This is sounding like taking to the extreme.  Still might be fun.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
nope

DEA is multi-cultural and multi-gender
Gang leaders are Black, Latino, and white
Drug Runners are mostly white so far.
Cartel is South American/Latino of some sort.

No asian people in sight.

Offline harvjones

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »
Have anyone watched suits ??
suits season 4 was blasting can't wait for another season  ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: August 25, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »
I checked out the first ep of An Idiot Abroad
that **** is pretty damn funny. I will be slowly making my way through the rest of the episodes.

The Strain
Am I the only one watching this? Does no one else like B Horror with all the horror tropes in a new twist on the "vampire" mythology? This show is so bad, that it went full circle and is good again.
The reactions of most of the characters will have you yelling at the screen like "Don't go in there idiot"... "girl, you better not trip and fall"... "just drive away idiot!!!, NOOO don't get out the car!!! WTF is wrong with you!!!?" like a good bad horror movie will do.
and the reveal at the end of the most recent episode jump ups the crazy even more.
It's based on a series of books by Guillermo Del Toro, and while I say this show it bad, it's still terribly entertaining.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:03:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2933 on: August 28, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
That's some RE4 **** right there.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
Once upon a time.

Mr.Gold/Beast/Rumplestillskin is probably the best character in the show showing a range of different acting abilites. early in the second season but the show can be hard to follow the way it jumps between the past and present for both storybrooke and magic land.

Still can't help but wish this was based on fables instead of being a disney universe show.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: September 05, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
Mr.Gold/Beast/Rumplestillskin is probably the best character in the show showing a range of different acting abilites. early in the second season but the show can be hard to follow the way it jumps between the past and present for both storybrooke and magic land.

Robert Carlyle - the actor who plays him - also played Nicholas Rush in SGU and he was very good there too.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: September 05, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
The Strain

I’m watching it, too! After all, I went and posted about it in the New TV/Movies thread.

Yeah, it’s kinda bad. Some of the acting is terrible, and other times I’m not sure if its the writing or the direction, or what exactly is to blame. I’m glad that they’re getting to the real vampire horror stuff now - perhaps they should’ve quickened the pace a bit to get there sooner. It’s full of clichés and its predictable yet I’m still watching. It should continue to get more interesting.

Like you said, it’s really cheesy, but makes for a fun, silly B-horror show. It's entertaining.

« Reply #2937 on: September 06, 2014, 02:20:01 AM »
I am watching the Walking Dead right now on Netflix. I watched it a year ago so this time I am just watching it to pass the time till the next season begins. Second time viewing is not as good, there is no suspense and the stuff that kept you in suspense the first time around now seems to drag things out. The story is still good the characters are still mostly likeable, and believable for the most part, the acting is pretty solid, but this show does not lend itself well to repeat viewings. Unlike Zombie movies where the pacing is just right, there are entire episodes that feel like filler and I can put up with that on a first run because I am wrapped up in the story but on a second run its like hurry up and get on with it already. Lost was the same way except the walking dead is still good Lost was only good if you tricked yourself into believing it was.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
An Idiot Abroad

It's Ricky Gervais sending Karl Pilkington around the globe. If you don't know these people, then it's a comedian sending someone who hates to travel around the globe. This show is unintentionally hilarious. Karl's commentary is brilliantly pessimistic, but somehow agreeable. And through his eyes, you see why people really love to travel but don't mention roughly half of their experience when recollecting it.

Watch it. It's on Netflix. My favorite episodes are when he comes home at the end of the season.

A while back, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, and Karl Pilkington got together and did these podcasts/recording sessions in 2005 and 2006 where they just talked about whatever came to mind or was happening lately. They later animated them and HBO aired them as The Ricky Gervais Show. It's just a lot of Karl with his weird thoughts and Ricky and Stephen berating him. When Gervais was promoting An Idiot Abroad, I watched it to see what he looked like in real life. I enjoyed the series but I thought the best part was the last episode when Ricky, Stephen and Karl all set in a room and went over his journey and talked about various things from it. It was like watching a real life episode of the podcast. So, if you liked that, you may want to check out The Ricky Gervais Show.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 06, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
An Idiot Abroad

A while back, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, and Karl Pilkington got together and did these podcasts/recording sessions in 2005 and 2006 where they just talked about whatever came to mind or was happening lately. They later animated them and HBO aired them as The Ricky Gervais Show. It's just a lot of Karl with his weird thoughts and Ricky and Stephen berating him. When Gervais was promoting An Idiot Abroad, I watched it to see what he looked like in real life. I enjoyed the series but I thought the best part was the last episode when Ricky, Stephen and Karl all set in a room and went over his journey and talked about various things from it. It was like watching a real life episode of the podcast. So, if you liked that, you may want to check out The Ricky Gervais Show.

I'm sure he was the main (only?) trumpeter of the Ricky Gervais show a few years back.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: September 07, 2014, 12:49:29 AM »
Beware the Batman has gotten much better.  I'd still rather have B:TBatB back, but I'm kinda sad knowing that BtB is already cancelled.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: September 07, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Good riddence. Trying to improve the show would have required more effort than worthwhile assuming they even had a big enough budget. Now it can make way for another, hopefully better Batman.

Robert Carlyle owns. He always has. I don't watch Once upon a Time with much attention and I dismissed it first season but I ended up watch a little more of it as time goes by because of Lana Parrilla as Regina. Didn't notice her back in Spin City, but damn she is smoking in this. She remains the hottest member of the cast even after the show threw in beauty after beauty. Don't watch it for the story, its soapy water at best of times. I watch it to see the actors try to deal with the absurdity of it all.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »
Good riddence. Trying to improve the show would have required more effort than worthwhile assuming they even had a big enough budget. Now it can make way for another, hopefully better Batman.

It's not perfect, but the first half really ended on a high note and I like where the second half is going.

Makes me wonder what Timm and Dini could have done if TAS had been serialized like this.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
BtB has many problems. Being serialized wasn't the issue. TAS was semi serialized anyway. BtB had an incredibly unlikable jerkass Batman who wasn't scary. The computer animation was cheap and empty. Completely forgettable music. Who forgets TAS's opener and incidentals that enhanced a moment. Katana could have worked, but again Bruce was too much of an jerkass to let that character do he own thing. Also didn't help for the first season they decided to break Alfred's leg just to put him out of the picture after showing that he had the skills to hold his own, done so just to promote Batman.

They had Kurtwood Smith and completely wasted him. What a fucking crime right there.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: September 08, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
I put Beware of the Batman and Brave and the Bold in the same place.  A large Skew from the normal Batman Mythos.  I have to say I vastly prefer Brave and the Bold.  Beware of the Batman could have worked as a show just not about Batman.  Replace the hero with a Nobody there making from scratch to add that dimension of his own backstory I think would have helped that series

Being frank Batman the Animated Series is very stiff competition for any show.  Especially if you take the legacy into account.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Dude you can't put Brave and the bold on the same place as BTB. If you know anything about the Batman Mythos that you'd know that Brave and the Bold is a great homage to the Batman of the Silver Age with a few modern bits like Jamie Reyes being the Blue Beetle instead of Ted Kord. I'd put Brave and the Bold on the same level of Batman the animated series.

To be fair to BtB being a jerkass is almst essential to most takes on the batman character it seems.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: September 08, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
To me they are both non-mainstream Batmans.  They do it vastly different ways.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
I'd say brave and the bold was pretty mainstream in regards to Batman being less Batman and way more Batgod that's been popular these days.

Still watching Once Upon a Time, and its funny how they make everything interconnected by making all of the main cast somehow related soap style. Regina and belle are probably my favorite two of the female characters. The show suffers from the typical soap problem that the popular Villains get Vegta'd in that they become sort of neutered. Hook sort of just becomes a heartthrob as he's integrated into the heroes and walks the whole loveable ass that's only good because he loves Emma, Gold actually has taken the turn rather well since in he was never really a Villian in storybrooke. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
Here is a gif from the latest episode of The Strain:

#gamingrelated

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Any chance you can get a high res version? Trying to figure out what kind of motherboard that is, almost looks like an Xbox 360 devkit.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA