Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198922 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2725 on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:59 AM »
I wouldn't say "who gives a ****" as Oblivion said, but knowing why the inconsistencies are there makes them a non-factor. At worse, entirely forgivable since it wasn't out of incompetence or laziness.

The establishing shots weren't just "establishing shots" as they were there to visually show a state of mind, themes, the passage of time. Some of them weren't establishing shots, they were show, not tell.

Episode 2: I couldn't stop laughing during the entire drunk sequence. I was close to passing out when it got to drunk  Sherlock vision in the apartment.. Another brilliant episode.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
It's the same with Almost Human, future crime is cool, but it's the shenanigans between Dorian and John is why I stay. Trashing MXs never gets old.
I'm a little behind but my computer ran out of power last night before I finished watching the Unlucky DRN Episode.  I have to say getting an ex-Criminal by mistake that allows a car to run over a hydrant that shoots in the air to take out a flying drone that butchers an MX.  I had to laugh.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2727 on: January 12, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
Almost Human has been disappointing me lately. The "psychic" episode was a complete dud, and last week's bomb-collar episode was incredibly by-the-numbers, formulaic, and predictable. I appreciate that they can't all be five-star episodes, but this show should not be running out of cool futuristic criminal ideas yet. It's the first season!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 13, 2014, 03:07:47 AM »
Great Sherlock finale. I wonder if they won't explain what happened in the next season either :P

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 13, 2014, 03:09:50 AM »
Almost Human has been definitely ticking over in autopilot the last few episodes.

I'm hoping the show takes a good look at Person of Interest and introduces a whole range of recurring enemies and plotlines rather than just one big bad. It's what makes POI so damn good.

And on another note, Tatiana Maslany did not win Best Actress for anything at the Golden Globes? Yet more scifi snubbing.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
Sherlock 3x03

Damn, that last episode! Second episode was also very good (after rather hollow first one), but this one.. Wow!..

I really like how they're staying true to original book, because i initially raised an eyebrow when Mary just showed up because there was supposed to be a story about her (original "Sign of Four") but it made for such a great resolution.

Blackmailer was originally part of the Moriarty's network, in fact his case started the whole thing which ended with Reichenbach Falls. He made for a great villain taken individually.

Wow!
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: January 13, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
Enlisted (Fox)
Pretty funny and pretty accurate description of Stripes (1981 - Bill Murray) reimagined for TV today.

Helix (SyFy)
Contagion meets The Host/The Thing. CDC goes to a secret Antarctic research facility to contain and identify an unidentified and deadly infection. Things do not go as planned and there is more to this than originally thought. So far (2 episode premiere) I'm interested and tuning in for more.

Host of Lies & Shameless have also started back up (Showtime). Solid premieres that leave me wanting to see where the season goes.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
Person of Interest is back too.
Another good episode, and the next one sounds good too.

Here is an interview with the show creators that reveal some insights into what "The Machine" is and where the season is headed.
http://io9.com/person-of-interests-producers-tell-us-what-the-machine-1498754032
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:21:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:20 AM »
Arrow came back on tonite. There was something very distracting going on but can't quite put my finger on it...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:51:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 16, 2014, 04:41:10 AM »
Season 3 of Sherlock. Damn this show knows how to flick my face in just the right way. Season 4/5 comfirmed.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: January 16, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »
I'm a bit behind so i need to watch Helix, and Almost Human, American Dad and Family Guy.

I also had an interest in Intelligence, but episode one premiered at 16m viewers, episode 2 is 6m. With a drop that large it's fate has probably already been sealed. I'll watch episode 1 to see if it's worth it.

Sherlock episode 3 - while i did enjoy the episode, one thing (as is frequently the case with Moffat episodes) one thing stuck out. What happened with Lady Smallwood's letters? The entire opening sequence was devoted to them, she goes to get Sherlock, he breaks into Magnusson's house, finds Mary and..... then what? He just introduces a plot point, then drops it half way through.

Person of Interest - great to see Reese back in the fold again. He just needed to beat some people up and get his mojo back. Hersh asking "does your new employer treat you right?" to Shaw was priceless.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
Arrow came back on tonite. There was something very distracting going on but can't quite put my finger on it...

As much as I love Arrow, I made another meme pic in a moment of inspiration

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 17, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
For those of you that haven't caught up on one of NBC's best new shows Hannibal, you've got a little over a month to do so, because Season 2 starts Feb 28th.

Short S2 Teaser
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:23:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 20, 2014, 04:26:27 AM »
For all you Sherlock fans in here, have you read this?
http://www.avclub.com/article/its-elementary-sherlock-how-the-cbs-procedural-sur-200870

It states how the CBS show Elementary surpasses the BBC show Sherlock in many ways, starting with Sherlock himself.

What do this if you that have watched both think? And if you like Sherlock and haven't seen Elementary, do you plan on checking it out now?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 20, 2014, 04:40:09 AM »
I stopped reading as soon as it said that the american TV model "allowed Elementary to breathe".

That same model is what has killed countless shows by simply being too long per season.

Person of Interest is, arguably, the only show that has multiple plotlines (there's about 7 so far) running simultaneously but smartly tying them to an individual character, rather than everyone, to prevent the burnout by having a single storyline everyone is engaged in.

Is three episodes of Sherlock every 2 years too little? Yes. But i can cope with it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:50 AM »
My polite response to that article is to tell the author of it to go get his head examined.

Elementary at its heart is a by the numbers procedural with a coat of paint that American audiences have seen before but don't recognize as the same. CSI was all about the case until they tangled their case of the week in to "Personal" character show mostly by shooting at them for drama. Elementary is just a continuation of that with a British accent.

Sherlock is something grander than a TV show. It's so clever and inventive not only in story, but in visualization, messaging, camera work, playfulness that it makes make the feature films made with 10x the budget green with envy in all but the most expensive scenes. Its so arrogant sometimes the show itself is a character as a reflection of Holmes.

I want so many more episodes of Sherlock, but I would never, ever ask them to sacrifice a Plank length of quality if it wasn't ready. I want more Molly!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »
Unsurprisingly, my comments about the season length on there is being downvoted.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 20, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »
True Detective 1x02

First episode was very good. Great acting from both leads.

First episode was more about McConaughey's character who is completely nuts, second one was more Harrelson's character who at least at first appears to goody two shoes "just regular dude".

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 20, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Is three episodes of Sherlock every 2 years too little? Yes. But i can cope with it.

There was a one year gap between season one and two. There's a two year gap with 2 and 3 only. I seriously doubt it would take another 2 years with season 4.

For all you Sherlock fans in here, have you read this?
http://www.avclub.com/article/its-elementary-sherlock-how-the-cbs-procedural-sur-200870

It states how the CBS show Elementary surpasses the BBC show Sherlock in many ways, starting with Sherlock himself.

What do this if you that have watched both think? And if you like Sherlock and haven't seen Elementary, do you plan on checking it out now?

I've seen Elementary. That article is idiotic.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
I haven't watched either of the shows, but I will say that, while I generally like the AV Club, they will occasionally go a bit off the deep end with an editorial. One in particular I remember was calling the show The Good Wife the new The Wire.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: January 20, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »

There was a one year gap between season one and two. There's a two year gap with 2 and 3 only. I seriously doubt it would take another 2 years with season 4.

Season 1's UK airdate was July 2010.
Season 2 was January 2012.
Season 3 was January 2014.

Granted there was only an 18 month gap between S1 and 2.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2746 on: January 20, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
First episode of True Detective blew me away. Can't watch the second one yet until my folks come over so I don't have to watch it twice. HOWEVER, I will say that I got a lot more out of my second viewing of the first episode. Maybe I should just do the same for episode two.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 21, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »
^ There are two very good and squishy reasons for you to look forward in episode 2. Episode isn't as amazing but still very solid, case seemingly stops dead and we get more character analysis instead but with such good leads there are no reason to complain.

Personally i'm looking forward to Shea Wigham's character, he appears to be some kind of preacher in this show... He was really good in Boardwalk Empire.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 22, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
Sherlock is something grander than a TV show. It's so clever and inventive not only in story, but in visualization, messaging, camera work, playfulness that it makes make the feature films made with 10x the budget green with envy in all but the most expensive scenes. Its so arrogant sometimes the show itself is a character as a reflection of Holmes
I could say similar things about the revived series of Doctor Who which Moffat also had a huge hand in (although Slyvester Mccoy began to explore a darker side to the doctor towards the end of his run).

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
Been binging on Pawn Stars, thanks to Hul... the internet. Man I have gotten good at guessing prices. This would be a good one to get drunk with your friends and make bets over appraisals, and who is going to accept/reject the deals.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.