Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199022 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2450 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
When you look at Futurama's central conceit not as a show in which someone was sent forward by 1000 years, but as "love, loss and the journey" it really makes the entire series look different.

The first and final episodes cement that point very very well.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2451 on: September 05, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
It was so beautiful! T_T
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2452 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
Was TVman your old username?
Made you look ****.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2453 on: September 05, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
It was.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
When you look at Futurama's central conceit not as a show in which someone was sent forward by 1000 years, but as "love, loss and the journey" it really makes the entire series look different.

Reading your post reminded me of the episode Jurassic Bark about Fry's dog which I think falls right in line with your theme and was also a very melancholy ending to an episode.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
It was a horrible ending to an episode.  It's all "Oh, things worked out okay after all!  Oh.... nope.  Life sucks."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2456 on: September 07, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
I thought it was sad, but in a touching way. A beautiful tragedy.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: September 09, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
As much as I love Breaking Bad, I always seem to forget about it till the day it airs. Maybe it's some mental gymnastics that I've done, but I seriously don't understand how I'm not waking up sweating, looking at the clock impatiently for another episode.

The greatest thing about this show is that you are forced to think about all the possible outcomes and last night's episode was no different. It's the greatest quality about the show. If something could realistically happen, then it happens. Motives are key and for that reason, the show hit levels of entertainment that I simply wasn't expecting. Brilliant.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »

Reading your post reminded me of the episode Jurassic Bark about Fry's dog which I think falls right in line with your theme and was also a very melancholy ending to an episode.

There's several (nearly all of the best episodes in fact) that fit that theme. Jurassic Bark, the pilot, the finale, The Luck of the Fryrish, the episode only 2 weeks ago about the musical tone and spending more time with his family....

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2459 on: September 10, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
As much as I love Breaking Bad, I always seem to forget about it till the day it airs. Maybe it's some mental gymnastics that I've done, but I seriously don't understand how I'm not waking up sweating, looking at the clock impatiently for another episode.

The greatest thing about this show is that you are forced to think about all the possible outcomes and last night's episode was no different. It's the greatest quality about the show. If something could realistically happen, then it happens. Motives are key and for that reason, the show hit levels of entertainment that I simply wasn't expecting. Brilliant.
Game of thrones is better! ::) pirated all 3 seasons! :P:
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: September 11, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
GoT is awesome. I won't argue that.

Better? They are very different shows.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 11, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
Finally finished House of Cards (U.S. version). Awesome! Not perfect but damn good in many respects.

Also, Michael Kelly is my Best Under-Appreciated Actor of 2013. Had a big role in House Of Cards and pleasantly popped up in Man of Steel and Now You See Me.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2462 on: September 11, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
Been watching it for a while, ARROW, pretty good stuff. but can't wait for agents of S.H.I.E.L.D to come out!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
Arrow is a funny show. I do like it. I thought it had a very good second half and found its legs and got a good handle on its characters. It had some good intrigue and mysteries going on and Malcolm Merlyn made an excellent adversary. And yet, I also have a weird disconnect with it. It seemed to be this odd blend of Batman Begins and the Sam Raimi Spiderman movie mixed together making it all seem a bit familiar.

Moreover, I just don't seem to feel any connection in the leads of Oliver Queen and Laural Lance. I find I'm more interested and excited with the other characters. As silly and stupid as her lines can be sometimes, I like the Felicity character a whole lot more than either of the leads. Still, with the season finale doing things I did not expect, I'm most curious to see where the show goes from here as it will no longer have the same vibe as before and should be able to forge itself an even more distinct personality.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2464 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »
Gurren Lagann

Is it possible for a TV show to soothe possibly-clinical depression? Because this actually did it for a while.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »
Arrow is a funny show. I do like it. I thought it had a very good second half and found its legs and got a good handle on its characters. It had some good intrigue and mysteries going on and Malcolm Merlyn made an excellent adversary. And yet, I also have a weird disconnect with it. It seemed to be this odd blend of Batman Begins and the Sam Raimi Spiderman movie mixed together making it all seem a bit familiar.

Moreover, I just don't seem to feel any connection in the leads of Oliver Queen and Laural Lance. I find I'm more interested and excited with the other characters. As silly and stupid as her lines can be sometimes, I like the Felicity character a whole lot more than either of the leads. Still, with the season finale doing things I did not expect, I'm most curious to see where the show goes from here as it will no longer have the same vibe as before and should be able to forge itself an even more distinct personality.

Well one thing you can expect is that there will be more than a cameo from The Flash, who is also getting his own series and this may all be part of DC's Cinematic Universe, but no idea if they will play their parts in the upcoming Justice League Movie or not.

But I'm looking forward to Arrow s2 even if I am a little skeptical of the above spoilered parts.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2466 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
still think agents of S.H.I.E.L.D will be better!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

But I'm looking forward to Arrow s2 even if I am a little skeptical of the above spoilered parts.

I know what you mean. After basically establishing a realistic world with no superpowered heroes, they are now going to change that up and start introducing such things. I'm curious to see how it works out because I really like the job they'd done so far.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 14, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »

Well so far it looks like Unalaq is gonna be the main villain, just like Tarlok he creates conflict to seize more power for himself. I definitely bet on that it's him controlling the spirits all along.

Otherwise -- great start.

New animation studio is kinda bad, way too animey and gets off model too often. The art despite occasionally wonky animation is still gorgeous though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »
It's a good thing that the normal animation studio will be back for Book 3 and 4. Also, I hold the belief that he isn't a villain, just a dude who wants a good thing but does it to a bad extreme, similar to Tarrlok. I doubt they'd be this obvious about the villain this early.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 18, 2013, 05:13:47 AM »
I'm finally caught up in Breaking Bad. So, Jesse is a meth cooking slave now. Jeez, what else can the producers do to the poor guy with two episodes left? Personally, I think he'll get revenge on Meth Damon. I'm on the fence over whether Walt saves Jesse after what happened in the desert. There's a chance he'll find out Jesse is alive from Lydia (or just running into him while doing his Scarface thing).

I kind of want to see some atonement from Walt, in general, but especially regarding his relationship with Jesse and I think there's a chance there might be with the way "Ozymandias" played out and Walt kind of realizing just how far he's fallen (goodness, that phone call). While Jesse probably would have ended up dead eventually without Walt blackmailing him into cooking meth, it's a terrible shame what ended up happening and that Walt, of all people, was his mentor/father-figure. Even though Mike wasn't a model citizen by any stretch of the imagination, he was a better mentor than Walt ever was. Walt and Jesse's relationship is complicated to say the least. I think Walt genuinely cared about Jesse in his weird sociopathic way and felt especially betrayed by Jesse despite all the things he put Jesse through. Walt manipulated and used Jesse for his own ends, just like Walt manipulated and used everyone else. Sure, anyone who really cares about someone would never hurt them intentionally, but try telling that to a sociopath. That says more about how evil Walt has become and how conflicted the Walt and Heisenberg personalities are. On one hand, he desires to be the king who is rich, admired, and respected for his intelligence and cunning. On the other, he still wants to be a simple family man. He learned the hard way that Walter White cannot be both and now he is neither. At this point, Walt is well past the point of redemption as nothing can reconcile the sins he's committed, but I think there is room for some atonement. That's what he returned to Albuquerque for. Up to this point, I rooted for Walt because he's the protagonist even though he's a pretty shitty person and as a viewer, I can see through all his BS. In the final two episodes, I'm mainly rooting for some kind of atonement and I'm really not sure it's coming.

I haven't decided whether I think Lydia lives or dies though I'm leaning toward the latter just to tie up loose ends. It seems pretty obvious that the two flash-forwards in Season Five are probably leading up to Walt going full Heisenberg on Jack's gang of white supremacists, then again this show tends to be unpredictable so who knows at this point. I'm a little disappointed that white supremacist Nazis are the show's final villains because using Nazis as villains seems too easy for this show. Maybe the producers thought only Nazis can be more evil than Walt at this point so this is their last ditch effort to keep viewers on Walt's side for the final two episodes. Before watching any of the second half of Season Five I originally thought Walt would be trying to save Hank from Declan's gang. Boy, was I off...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:48 AM »
At least he still saved Skyler from jail for what it's worth.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:01 AM »
What azeke said.

That's what the phone call was all about.[/spoiler.]
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
I gathered that much. They weren't subtle about it with Walt almost breaking down on the phone. Coupled with that disturbing shot of Walt looking down on a frightened Skyler and Walt Jr. after the fight, I felt it was pretty clear that Walt was finally seeing how much his actions have affected those he cares about so he takes full responsibility for it, knowing the police were listening. Skyler is presumably off the hook.

I read an opinion piece suggesting that this is another power play by Walt to assert his dominance. By exonerating Skyler, he's taunting the police by admitting guilt and getting away with it so really he wins again. I'm not sure I buy that. I thought the conclusion the audience was supposed to have was the most obvious one. Walt, in a very small and very late act of atonement (small only in the way that it was literally the least he could do), finally does something that's actually best for his family in that moment even though he's lost them at this point. Still, that leaves Jesse who Walt saw as family yet sucker punched right before giving him a death sentence. No longer in the heat of the moment, I'm curious if he actually feels bad about it. That said, I wonder if Walt is coming back to Albuquerque to deal with Jack's gang as retribution for his money, Hank, or Jesse. Maybe all three?

On a related note, Jack is played by Michael Bowen who I recognized, but couldn't immediately identify. He played Buck "[who's] here to ****" in Kill Bill. I'm going to be honest, knowing that takes a little bit away from Jack's character. It's kind of like when I found out Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was the voice of The Shredder. Every time I see The Shredder, I just imagine him literally throwing DJ Jazzy Jeff out the front door of a mansion.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: September 18, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
Still, that leaves Jesse who Walt saw as family yet sucker punched right before giving him a death sentence. No longer in the heat of the moment, I'm curious if he actually feels bad about it

Jesse could have walked away with a fat sack of cash and all of this could have been avoided. Jesse is a dumb ass as far as i am concerned.

Hank could have kept spinning his wheels till he eventually decided to just live in defeat. Jesse could have stayed a new life anywhere with his new little family. Walt could have retired a carwash owner and every lives, maybe not happily ever after, but they all live and fury get to move on with their lives.

And I fully expect Walt to go to war for everything and onto on top of all that, the Heisenberg name, the legacy, the legend.

But we shall see. 2 weeks left.