Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199301 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2350 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:29 AM »
See, this is an example of a correct opinion.

Well, I do have to say, I completely agree with that opinion.  Doesn't mean it's "correct" though. :D

Is there any way a moratorium can be put on speaking of The Big Bang Theory?

If our Overlords would be so kind, they could edit the word filter to replace "Big Bang Theory", "BBT" and "BigBangTheory" with something amusing (or, at least, more amusing than the show).

And replace "Community" with "Big Bang Theory" and you would have a show people watch and is good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: July 26, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
Question: NCIS had more people watching the week of BBT's season finale than BBT had watching.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/21/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-the-big-bang-theory-tops-week-34-viewing-among-adults-18-49-ncis-on-top-with-total-viewers/183347/

Does this mean that NCIS is a better show than BBT?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2352 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Pi is exactly 3.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:31 AM »
BBT isn't funny because it commits the cardinal sin of comedy. It explains the joke. One of the cast makes a Sci reference/joke, the "Normal" people look at them blankly, said reference maker explains reference. "Normal" person don't get it. Joke maker drives remainder of said joke into ground.

That is just one of the ways BBT isn't funny.

NCIS is a better show than BBT because it's funny, inadvertently so.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: July 26, 2013, 08:15:24 AM »
See, this is an example of a correct opinion.

Well, I do have to say, I completely agree with that opinion.  Doesn't mean it's "correct" though. :D

Is there any way a moratorium can be put on speaking of The Big Bang Theory?

If our Overlords would be so kind, they could edit the word filter to replace "Big Bang Theory", "BBT" and "BigBangTheory" with something amusing (or, at least, more amusing than the show).

And replace "Community" with "Big Bang Theory" and you would have a show people watch and is good.

Ok, now you're just being antagonistic.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2355 on: July 26, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Just finished Game of Thrones S2. Good stuff, awesome looking snow zombies at the very end. I was surprised no major characters died at the end of that episode. (A couple minor ones did.) I'm scared for Sansa.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2356 on: July 26, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
BBT isn't funny because it commits the cardinal sin of comedy. It explains the joke. One of the cast makes a Sci reference/joke, the "Normal" people look at them blankly, said reference maker explains reference. "Normal" person don't get it. Joke maker drives remainder of said joke into ground.

I would argue that the joke in that example is the initial character having to explain him the reference. The first joke is meant to also go over the audience's heads (eventhough they're already pretty low trajectory).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 26, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
You *could* argue that....

But then, you're saying that the vast majority of "jokes" on BBT basically consist of a slight retelling of the exact same joke.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
I think I'll settle this matter by bringing in an expert on Comedy:

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 26, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
I've just realized how big my instant Queue and not deleting stuff kind of defeats the prpose. So i'm on  a mission to clear it up starting today. Going to start House of Cards while knocking stuff off the list.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2360 on: July 27, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »
You *could* argue that....

But then, you're saying that the vast majority of "jokes" on BBT basically consist of a slight retelling of the exact same joke.

No because the "second telling" isn't the joke. The joke is the "awkwardness" of the non-nerd characters not getting the joke. The dumb characters are the straight man.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
I'll just say this, which isn't specific to BBT but does apply to it: any TV producer who puts a laugh track on a show in this day and age should be shot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 27, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
The joke is the "awkwardness" of the non-nerd characters not getting the joke.

...so, a slight retelling of the same joke, over and over again, in the non-nerd characters reaction to the nerd?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 27, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
The joke is the "awkwardness" of the non-nerd characters not getting the joke.

...so, a slight retelling of the same joke, over and over again, in the non-nerd characters reaction to the nerd?

Kinda sounds like a different joke everytime.... same punchline over and over again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:02:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 27, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
Beware the Batman:

Ugh.  I'm about ten minutes into this and it's pretty painful.  Still going to give the series a chance, but man... CGI Man Nipples aside, this is just horrible.

Man, I really dislike Anarchy in this show.  They're all "we don't want to tell another Joker story", so they've basically destroyed Anarchy's character and turned him into Joker-lite.

Also, this show does the same thing that The Batman did (and to an extent, Batman Begins).  They're trying to (re-) tell the early days of Batman, yet Batman just happens to have the exact gadget he needs on him for the situation?  Handy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 27, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
Beware the Batman:

Ugh.  I'm about ten minutes into this and it's pretty painful.  Still going to give the series a chance, but man... CGI Man Nipples aside, this is just horrible.

Man, I really dislike Anarchy in this show.  They're all "we don't want to tell another Joker story", so they've basically destroyed Anarchy's character and turned him into Joker-lite.

Also, this show does the same thing that The Batman did (and to an extent, Batman Begins).  They're trying to (re-) tell the early days of Batman, yet Batman just happens to have the exact gadget he needs on him for the situation?  Handy.

I haven't seen the episode yet and I'm not familiar with Anarchy.  What is he supposed to be like?  I'm not going to hold it against the show if the character they made is still compelling, but I'm just curious what your perspective on the comic version of Anarchy is.

And while Batman's library of gadgets has always been suspect, I think this show has done a better job of showing an early Batman than most. In the 1st 2 episodes, Batman's kind of sucked at his job. He's lost more fights than he's won up to the end of episode 2, and I kind of appreciate that for what they're trying to do.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 27, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
Anarchy is *supposed* to be an agent of social change for the people.  Not just random chaos and destruction.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: July 27, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Yeah, this Anarky definitely feels like Ledger's Joker.

But i don't agree the show is too gimmick heavy. Having shark repellents is what Batman does, and really should do.

Still, i liked third episode. Once again pretty nice fights.  Not much to say except for that.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 27, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »
But i don't agree the show is too gimmick heavy. Having shark repellents is what Batman does, and really should do.

Eventually, yes.  The thing about the Batman is that he adapts to a need.  Granted, later Batman can usually pull a rabbit out of his hat *because* of his prior experience.  He knows the Scarecrow has fear toxin, so he has the antidote in his belt.  But it'd be a boring origin story if the first time he met the Scarecrow, he already had the antidote.

We see it in this episode, where Anarchy has the "dead man's switch" and the Batman just happens to have a handy-dandy "frequency jamming disc" that he slaps on it to disable it.  Why does he have this disc?  Where did it come from?  How did it just happen to work so perfectly on the exact device Anarchy had at that moment?  If this had been aged Batman, I'd been willing to accept it - since he's probably encounter this kind of thing before.  But, for new Batman to pull this off... ugh.

Not to mention the entire Batcycle-transforming-into-Batglider thing..  Blatantly pushing the toys, there.  What's next? Neon Talking Super Street Bat-Luge?  Because I'd actually buy that toy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Well, I've now seen the Beware the Batman episode in question and...yeah, that wasn't a very good episode.  The character is pretty blatantly modeled after the inferior (to Mark Hamill) Heath Ledger Joker, and he just comes off as a whiny little emo brat.  I really don't like the Anarchy character design, which is pretty clearly modeled after The Phantasm, but without any of the character bits that make that costume distinct.  He's a pure-white dude in a pure white cloak with a silly red "A" on his chest.  This character's supposed to be the embodiment of "anarchy" on this show: pure Chaos while Batman is the embodiment of Order.  Setting aside that that's supposed to be Dr. Fate's schtick, there's just nothing about Anarchy's design that shows him to be a creature of ChaosIf anything, he looks more like a representation of Order than Batman does.

I can understand why they went this direction with the character.  Ra's Al Ghoul is going to be a major villain on this show, and his thing is "causing destruction to advance a social aim" (in his case, environmentalism).  They probably wanted to avoid having two villains with similar motivations.  But so far, I don't think this new Anarchy they created works as they have presented him.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:24:16 PM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: July 27, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't keen on the costume - but wasn't sure how much of that was due to my dislike for the art style vs. the costume itself.

The major difference between Ra's and Anarchy is that Ra's wants to radically remodel the world into his image with him controlling it.  Anarchy wants to remodel the power structure with the people controlling it.  Yeah, this might be "too deep" for the target audience to understand, which is why I kinda wondered about the inclusion of Anarchy to begin with...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: July 27, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:08:11 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
Rebels vs. Freedom Fighters.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
I caught an episode of Beware of the Bat this weekend and it was the Anarchy.  I found the Anarchy costume pretty much the opposite of the Batman costume which is to say I really don't like either one.  I don't like the new Alfred and his sarcastic comments.  I don't like the Arch in their that New Alfred is insisting Batman has a partner in this Girl who they are "Testing".  I don't like how most things were just glossed over in this episode.  I don't like the Anarchy character simply because he feels like Generic Batman Villian because we couldn't use the actual right villian.

If this episode is any indication of the quality of the show.  Then I'll take another Brave and the Bold or continuing The Batman.  Batman:TAS has nothing to fear from this.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: July 29, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
I caught an episode of Beware of the Bat this weekend and it was the Anarchy.  I found the Anarchy costume pretty much the opposite of the Batman costume which is to say I really don't like either one.  I don't like the new Alfred and his sarcastic comments.  I don't like the Arch in their that New Alfred is insisting Batman has a partner in this Girl who they are "Testing".  I don't like how most things were just glossed over in this episode.  I don't like the Anarchy character simply because he feels like Generic Batman Villian because we couldn't use the actual right villian.

If this episode is any indication of the quality of the show.  Then I'll take another Brave and the Bold or continuing The Batman.  Batman:TAS has nothing to fear from this.

Well, it's unfortunate that this episode of Beware the Batman was your first, because I think we can all agree it's the weakest of the 3 thus far. Before you hang up the show in general, though, I suggest you watch episode 2: "Secrets", which is the Magpie episode.  By contrast, that was a pretty good episode with a character who wasn't just "not-Catwoman", and at times it felt like it could have been a Batman: The Animated Series episode.

I am concerned about this series after this last episode.  While it's not unusual for a series' 1st series to have some clunkers (Rewatch Batman: TAS sometime. Boy, does it have some baaaaad episodes in the early going), Anarchy is supposed to be this series' main villain and right now I'd prefer even Prof. Pig & Mr. Toad over him.  This series could really go either way right now, so hopefully episode 4 is more like episode 2 than 1 or 3.

As for Alfred, I kind of have to tilt my head at you taking issue with his sarcasm, as that's kind of Alfred's thing in most Batman animated incarnations. Hell, the Alfred in Batman: TAS was a particularly notable smartass.  I'm not sure how I feel yet about this more active and thuggish Alfred, but he does establish in the 1st episode why he wants Bruce to have a partner ("One day, I'm not going to be around anymore, and I want to make sure you're taken care of").