Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198989 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2325 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
Your mistake was watching the first season of Parks & Rec. Just skip it, start at season two. That's what I did. You're not missing much by passing it over.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 25, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
Your mistake was watching the first season of Parks & Rec. Just skip it, start at season two. That's what I did. You're not missing much by passing it over.

Are there no callbacks or story archs that are in relation to the first season?  I just get the feeling that for most shows, even if the first season isn't good, then it at least has importance relating to the events that follow.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2327 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
Well, you are wrong in saying it is terrible. It just shows you have no good taste in shows and don't know what is funny.

How did you get to this point in your life without realizing that comedy is an inherently very subjective thing? You seem to have this mindset that your opinions and tastes are absolute truths and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. That's a developmental phase that usually goes away around age 5 or 6.

I know people have different opinions, I was just acting like he was.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 25, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »

Are there no callbacks or story archs that are in relation to the first season?  I just get the feeling that for most shows, even if the first season isn't good, then it at least has importance relating to the events that follow.

Not that much. You miss some of the backstory for Andy, but it's easy to pick up as it goes without having seen the first season. It's one of my favorite shows on TV and I still haven't seen season 1 except for part of the pilot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
Well, you are wrong in saying it is terrible. It just shows you have no good taste in shows and don't know what is funny.

How did you get to this point in your life without realizing that comedy is an inherently very subjective thing? You seem to have this mindset that your opinions and tastes are absolute truths and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. That's a developmental phase that usually goes away around age 5 or 6.

No, you didn't.  He gave his opinion of the show.  You attacked this opinion.  That's a completely different thing.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 25, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
Just to chime in further on Parks and Rec. I watched the first season when it premiered and I agree that it is pretty mediocore. Some good Ron Swanson lines and evel a bit of Andy stuff is the only real redeeming stuff in that first season but I've never gone back to it to confirm if even that is worth recommending it.

The second season will begin by basically bringing you up to speed again on what is going on and then keeps developing from there. In fact, they even end the whole pit subplot kind of early on in Season 2 allowing it to start opening its focus more. But the fact that you even saw a bit of the first season should more than be enough to move on into the second season and go from there.

I actually stopped watching the show originally in season 2. I saw the first three episodes of it when the premiered and the last one I saw about a beauty pagent was actually one of the best episodes I'd seen at the time of the show but The Office just seemed better to me so I finally decided to give up on it.

Surprisingly, my mom kept watching it which I didn't think would happen since she completely disliked the show in its first season but I guess it was just a habit at that point. She would keep asking me if I'd watched this episode or that and kept saying that the show was really funny but I didn't really trust her opinion since she watches a lot of other stuff I don't find that great.

Eventually, Andy Samburg did a guest appearance on the show so I decided to check it out again and I loved it. She was actually right. It was pretty funny. So, then I saw the next episode and the next episode and I was hooked again from then on. Even though I was lost a bit at what had transpired in that abscence, I soon begin to figure out what was going on and then caught up on most of it. Although, to my secret shame, there are still two second season episodes I've yet to see.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2331 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »

No, you didn't.  He gave his opinion of the show.  You attacked this opinion.  That's a completely different thing.

No, he said it in a way like he was right. He did not say it like it's an opinion. For example, it's a fact that Community is a very low rated show that few people watch. That is not disputable since the facts support it. It's my opinion that the show sucks because different people have different tastes. He presented it as if his opinion were fact.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2332 on: July 25, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
Anything anyone says about the quality of any piece of art (and yes, sitcoms count) is inherently an opinion, and no one has to say it in some "special way" to show that it's an opinion. Similarly, TJ says I have terrible taste in comedy, which is inherently his opinion of the quality of my taste in comedy, and thus needs no additional explanation that it's just his opinion. So there are no problems here.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: July 25, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
TJ, you're SUPPOSED to say your opinion as a fact, to avoid having to say, "in my opinion" every damn time. The "IMO" is supposed to be implied.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 25, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
"I disagree with PersonX's opinion." - a simple statement.
"PersonX's opinion is wrong and PersonX doesn't know what's good." - An attack on someone's opinion.

An opinion, by definition, cannot be "wrong" or "right".  It's the nature of an opinion.  Now, an opinion can be ill-conceived, if it's based off of poor information.  An example would be something like "I think it's wrong to do that because it's illegal." when there's no such law that says it's illegal - the opinion isn't right or wrong, but the basis for forming the opinion is faulty.

In this case, his opinion is, basically, "This show is terrible because it's a comedy and I don't find it funny."*

You say he is wrong because he doesn't know what is funny.  Since comedy is subjective, you can't really say if his opinion is based on faulty information - any more than I could split a group of people into those who like fake watermelon flavoring and those who don't like it, then tell one of the groups that they're wrong and they don't know what's yummy.  You can't *know* something that's subjective, and to suggest otherwise is an insult ("You're too stupid to know what's good." - or, basically, "You're too stupid to not have the exact same subjective opinion that I do.")

*Another example of an opinion based off faulty information would be "Man, Shindler's List is a terrible movie.  It's the most unfunny comedy ever."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:24:49 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2335 on: July 25, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
Some people's opinions can be wrong though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2336 on: July 25, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
Adventure Time

This show, simply put, is ridiculous. Watching it I become overwhelmed with creativity. And some of the most worthy laughs of the show are things that, as a child, wouldn't be funny at all. That's how weirdly hilarious it is. For instance, they took a Princess's cute giggle to be reason enough to hold people hostage. I laughed so hard at the explanation. "And then she laughed in my face man."

If you haven't seen it, give it a chance. The episodes are only eleven minutes long. And if they aren't funny, they're at least entertaining and goofy.

Highly recommended.

See, this is an example of a correct opinion.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
There's probably 18 or so people in the world (slight exaggeration) that watch Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, but it's it's much funnier than Big Bang Theory.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2338 on: July 25, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
Tim & Eric is so. . ."awkward" funny. Some of their skits are really good, but that show just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 25, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
No, he said it in a way like he was right. He did not say it like it's an opinion. For example, it's a fact that Community is a very low rated show that few people watch. That is not disputable since the facts support it. It's my opinion that the show sucks because different people have different tastes. He presented it as if his opinion were fact.
No, he said it in a way like he was right. He did not say it like it's an opinion.

(I couldn't find a gif of a kid screaming and spitting while he talks)

How else would he express his opinion?
TJ I expect you to attempt to keep the level of discourse above 3rd grade.

For example, it's a fact that Community is a very low rated show that few people watch. That is not disputable since the facts support it.

Just because McDonalds sells millions of "burgers" everyday doesn't mean it's the best burger in the world... actually doesn't even mean they make a good burger at all. All it means is that there are millions of people out there that apparently don't know any better or have settled for mediocre because it's convenient, "cheap" and what everyone else apparently likes (the sales #'s will support that....)
I cook about 10 burgers a month, and I guarantee you my burgers are without a doubt much better than anything you would find at McDonalds.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:38:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »
Is there any way a moratorium can be put on speaking of The Big Bang Theory?  I find the show unfunny but inoffensive, personally, but at this point a lot of you are just using TJ Spyke's enjoyment of the show to troll him relentlessly because of how adamantly he feels he needs to defend it.

I'll try a few 2nd season episodes of Parks & Rec before I make a final judgement call, but I agree that basically Ron Swanson was the funniest part of the 1st season so far, and even he was hit or miss.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:58 PM »
It seems like everyone here that isn't TJ Spyke agrees that The Big Bang Theory is a terrible, unfunny, lowest-common-denominator show, so I think we should just lay to rest any discussion of it. Nobody's changing anyone's mind, but it still comes up every few weeks and gets everyone riled up again. I would advise everyone avoid bringing it up in the future.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2342 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
A lot of TV shows and movies are good but have a vocal minority that thinks they aren't good.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: July 25, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
And a lot of TV shows and movies that are really popular with a lot of people are also terrible.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2344 on: July 25, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
And some shows are terrible and get low ratings, but survive because the studio is desperate.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2345 on: July 25, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »

And Nickleback has like 5 platinum albums.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
And some shows are great but never manage to find an audience because of factors beyond their control.

All four of these things are true in certain cases. Which cases those are depends on your way of looking at it. Let that be the end of all this bullshit.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2347 on: July 25, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
And some shows are great but never manage to find an audience because of factors beyond their control.

See: Andy Richter's shows.

Actually, you can't because they all got cancelled.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:48 PM »

Well, I do have to say, I completely agree with that opinion.  Doesn't mean it's "correct" though. :D

Is there any way a moratorium can be put on speaking of The Big Bang Theory?

If our Overlords would be so kind, they could edit the word filter to replace "Big Bang Theory", "BBT" and "BigBangTheory" with something amusing (or, at least, more amusing than the show).

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2349 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »

Well, I do have to say, I completely agree with that opinion.  Doesn't mean it's "correct" though. :D

See, that's an incorrect opinion.