Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199898 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2150 on: January 18, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
But if they are close to being able to Syndicate then it probably is a moot point.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 18, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
It's in a really lousy time slot. Basically everything else they've put there, outside of the proven hit of 30 Rock, has done worse than Community. Community has a dedicated fan base, and it does better in terms of Hulu ratings and iTunes/DVD sales than most of their other shows. Unless they can come up with something that does better, which they haven't been able to do despite a lot of tries, it makes sense for them to keep the cult favorite, critical darling show around long enough to get the long-term syndication money.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2152 on: January 18, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »
American Horror Story S1. Crazy and awesome.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
I just finished re-watching all of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I just want to give a big **** you to every single one of you who didn't support this show enough for it to continue.

:(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
American Horror Story S1. Crazy and awesome.

Season 2 is crazy and weird.... and I'm not sure yet if either of those are meant in a good way or not.

There is a little too much going on in s2, not nearly as focused as s1 was.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Fringe's ending was touching yet perfectly done. I'm satisfied.

The white tulip in the final 10 seconds was the perfect way to end the show.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
I finished The Hard Times of RJ Berger this weekend. It was okay, had some decent jokes. It took most of the 1st season to get going. I feel like the writers/showrunners started to get more comfortable when they stopped trying so hard to be this hip show (self-aware because it's about an outcast) pandering to horny teenagers who can see half-naked chicks online (which they never stopped doing entirely, just focused on it less) and started thinking about how to make the characters more likable, interesting, and well-rounded. The show borrows a lot from far more interesting shows/movies like Freaks and Geeks (RJ's dream girl ends up being a less than ideal match. It's a shame that MTV cancelled the series when they did because it was starting to hit its stride and I thought season 3 had potential.

The show is definitely flawed. It's filled with cliches and some rather cheap attempts at humor (RJ has a ridiculously large penis). It exists as a teen show rather than a show about teens (I know they're movies, but think American Pie vs Ghost World). I think that's where it suffers the most. It sometimes tries to aspire for more yet refuses to commit to it. Despite giving some characters depth, others (namely RJ's best friend, Miles) remain woefully one-dimensional.  RJ trades one manic pixie dream girl for another manic pixie dream girl who tries so hard not to be one (but, unfortunately, never breaks the mold), meaning he never really learns anything, at least not during the show's run. Maybe that's a meta-concept where RJ has to reject the MPDG in order to learn anything of value, but I highly doubt the writers were that clever. I guess we'll never really know.

It won't win any awards for originality or anything in general and it will likely be forgotten in the annals of television history, but I actually didn't mind it.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2157 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »

I just want to give a big **** you to every single one of you who didn't support this show enough for it to continue.

But it's not canonical. So who cares?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 22, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
Terminator canon ended after T2: Director's Cut.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 23, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
The Walking Dead Season One - Best Show Ever/10

Kind of mad at myself for not starting this show a couple of years ago. The first season went by so quick and I started to watch the first episode of the second season instead, but the 3 minutes I watch were so great that I didn't want to start from that point. Best show ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: January 23, 2013, 05:08:36 AM »
To everyone who hated the Lost finale, seriously, go watch the Fringe finale. It was a very rewarding end to the series and, unlike Lost, uses all of it's themes (family, sacrifice, redemption, how to become a better person) correctly.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »

I liked TtSCC a lot and watched it every week.  The first season was awesome, and the second season started out that way...but I think that Josh Friedman and company made a lot of missteps around the middle of the season 2.  The plot started meandering, they spent more time talking and retreading the same plot points (the three-dot symbol), dragged out and Riley and Jesse story out way too long before the big reveal, and they especially spent too much time (seemingly) focused on Sarah losing her mind.  The ratings dropped precipitously on the back 10. 

They also had the misfortune of being broadcast on Fox, who doesn't have a history of being patient with sci-fi shows that aren't doing very well.  It's probably a show that would have benefited greatly from a shortened season, similar to what it had in it's first season.   Unfortunately, it got cancelled as soon as it started moving forward and getting interesting again.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2162 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
Fox gave it a lot more time then you can expect a network to. The ratings literally dropped by half in the second season. I never watched the show, but it's hard to justify keeping the show going when the ratings dropped so sharply and it cost so much to make the show
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
Networks should just stop trying to do serialized shows. They basically never work out for them, the one real exception being Lost.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2164 on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
By networks, do you mean over the air TV stations? Because The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are both serialized.

Did you also forget that 24 was on the air for 9 years? That was serialized and did very well. There are other ones too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
Yes, by networks I mean the broadcast networks, as opposed to cable/satellite. For every one of theirs that succeeds there are probably 15 or 20 that bomb.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2166 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Most of the current ones are episodic now. To be fair, many of the serialized shows they try are not good. And until recently, most cable shows only lasted as long as they did because they tolerate lower ratings.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
From here on out I expect every post to be about The Walking Dead. Stop watching other shows, because they're all terrible.

Except TRMS, The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
The Walking Dead is only like the third best show on AMC, let alone all of television. It's good, but there are better shows.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2169 on: January 23, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
The books are better.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
It wasn't the rating that really killed T:TSCC.  Had it been a regular show, the ratings (and DVD sales) likely would been enough to keep it going.

The problem was that FOX had to pay WB for the Terminator license... and WB got a huge cut of the sales from the DVDs.

In reality, the licensing agreement set the show up to fail from the beginning, unless it had crazy-high ratings and sales.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2171 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
I was gonna say that too (though Fox did co-produce the show), but had the show been successful then Fox would have kept it alive anyways. If the network owns the show, they have more incentive to keep it alive for DVD sales and potential money from selling it into syndication (whereas the network gets none of that if they don't own it). Sometimes the studio that owns a show will want to get it into syndication so bad that they will make deals (like how Sony practically let Fox have Til Death for free so it could stay on the air long enough to make it into syndication).

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »
The Walking Dead is only like the third best show on AMC, let alone all of television. It's good, but there are better shows.

Agreed. And it's quite the drop from Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »
It's really come along in the last season or so, but nowhere close to Breaking Bad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2174 on: January 24, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
My wife and I really like(d) 'Til Death. It's a shame that the last two seasons will apparently never come out on DVD because...why?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.