Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199360 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2100 on: October 10, 2012, 06:10:03 AM »
peep show 9/10
theres no more episodes left to watch :(

apparently its been renewed for a season 9 and 10 though

and its on netflix
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
modern family s4 ep 2
eeyup. don't think i'll be watching this anymore.

japan inc
funny watching documentaries about japan during the bubble economy, seems like most of the things they cite as a good example actually sound pretty horrible. Well the office layouts seem ok at least though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:49:40 PM by Lithium »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: October 14, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
i just watched that documentary, that may be how things run in toyota, but thats not how they run in other Japanese companies. That wasn't how things run in Hiroshi Yamauchi's Nintendo.

Offline CM30

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Community
« Reply #2103 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »
Last show I watched was Dragon's Den (equivalent to the US program Shark Tank I think).  It was pretty decent, I always like seeing what inventions and businesses people bring in, but I've watched so many episodes by now I can pretty much predict everything that'll happen merely by looking at the clock and seeing how much longer is left.

Last fictional show was Only Fools and Horses, can't say the episode I watched was my favourite one.
Nintendo 3DS Community, my forum

Long time Nintendo fan, Mario fan game player and writer.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
A few of the shows I've watched recently;

Arrow:
A new Green Arrow reboot, and this is not the Oliver from Smallville. Better than expected is what I can say at this point. Action was pretty good so far, and no one was pinned to the wall by their clothing. You get hit with an arrow to the chest, you are likely dead. Yes, people were getting killed. It was good enough that I will tune in next episode, and if the quality stays at worst, as decent at the pilot, then I will probably ride it out till the end of the season.
edit: and Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files in this.
edit2: I'm not real familiar with Green Arrow comic history, but apparently there is all kinds of namedrops, hints of future characters and even some throwbacks to Smallville in the first episode.
Speedy & Deathstoke mean anything to you?

Beauty and the Beast:
Lana from Smallville is back, and she is still lookin' pretty damn hot. This show has nothing to do with the fairytale of a peasant and her cursed prince.... well, not really.
A beautiful girl finds herself in trouble and is rescued by a beastly man that is a little more than human. They reveal the origin of his "beastly" condition, but have yet to dive into the details why she was a damsel in distress to begin with, but it altered her whole life trajectory starting with an understandable career change. I have my assumptions as to why she ended up in crosshairs, but I'll likely tune in for atleast a few more episodes to see how it pans out. So far it was decent.

666 Park Avenue:
An old hotel in New York being run by Supernatural. Deals being made and lives being changed, payment is of course expected. Locke from Lost stars as the "Gate Keeper" in this one, and making a deal with him is like making a deal with the devil. This looks like a nice place to live, but you'd be better off living somewhere else. An interesting watch so far, and something that fans of supernatural thrillers should at least give a chance.

Homeland:
This is probably, undeniably, the best new show of last year. There has not been a bad episode yet, and that continues into the 2nd season so far. s02e03 airs tonite, and I look forward to tuning in as soon as I can. This show is a must watch for anyone looking for good television.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:24:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
Meet the Press - 8/10
I will not discuss the political aspect, since that would be a crime, but it was one of few occasions where someone gets the real Stephen Colbert to do an interview. It's online too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: October 14, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
Homeland:
This is probably, undeniably, the best new show of last year. There has not been a bad episode yet, and that continues into the 2nd season so far. s02e03 airs tonite, and I look forward to tuning in as soon as I can. This show is a must watch for anyone looking for good television.
First season had a plenty of boring ones. Overall the entire season was pretty underwhelming, when instead of spy thriller you get erotic melodrama about a crazy person. The main motivation is pretty BS-y, too.

The ending was really good, though.

For some reason i find that this and Shadow Line (BBC show) are really similar even if they don't match in genre, setting or anything really. The overall paranoia feel is similar and the tone even more high strung in Shadow Line, which is also i feel is an overall better show. Prepare for some of mind screwing twists at the end of every episode.

As to me, i started watching new TMNT show. Overall i like it, it's inoffensive and funny, i like rubbery animation and the intro is really kickass. Very last episode was eh, but the first three very pretty good.

Also Green Lantern: TAS. Last steampunk episode was really cliche'd but the ending was really, REALLY good. Also, "thanks" CN for not airing it.

The show is kinda all over the place: it starts usually with establishing main threat and then you get a few fillery Star Trek TOS-y episodes (which are very good in their own right). Then by episode 10-12 it got REALLY good with all plot lines coming to half season finale.

Overall the best airing superhero cartoon, too bad that with Avengers gone there is simply no competition.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: October 15, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
Last Resort - this show is kinda awesome.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: October 15, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
Quote from: azeke
As to me, i started watching new TMNT show. Overall i like it, it's inoffensive and funny, i like rubbery animation and the intro is really kickass. Very last episode was eh, but the first three very pretty good.

Beast Boy (from Teen Titans) is Mikey? The voices sound so alike...

I hate the new character designs. Why are they so angular? It's like they took Bruce Timm's (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS) character designs and mashed them with CG animation, which does not look good together.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:15:35 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2109 on: October 17, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
They're a simplification of the 2007 CGI designs.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: October 18, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
Like I said, I've been watching Battlestar Galactica again and introducing it to some friends of mine. We just finished season two, so it's pretty much all downhill from here.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: October 18, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
Beast Boy (from Teen Titans) is Mikey? The voices sound so alike...
Yep. I really like his voice. Others are some Hollywood guys, one of them is American Pie guy and the other one is Samwise. Oh and April is Katara i think.

I hate the new character designs. Why are they so angular? It's like they took Bruce Timm's (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS) character designs and mashed them with CG animation, which does not look good together.
I see nothing wrong with angularity. And it's not really Timm style. Check Green Lantern cartoon to see how Timm's style looks in CGI. Even GL is actually a very good show, but comparing them in animation and designs, TMNT looks much better.

And there is only so many styles you can draw turtles in. Even 2003 show's designs were pretty angular, being drawn and all.

Like I said, I've been watching Battlestar Galactica again and introducing it to some friends of mine. We just finished season two, so it's pretty much all downhill from here.
Yeah, at first i really believed that creators indeed have some plan for this show, but in later season it became pretty apparent they just make it as they go, which i hate.

After first two season, i think they only good moments were revelation of the five (?) but that was the last spot.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: October 18, 2012, 02:18:32 AM »
Well Vince Gilligan admitted that they're just making up Breaking Bad as they go along, and that may be the greatest show in television history, so it can work if you're good (or lucky) enough. And I'd argue there are more good moments than that in the later seasons, it's just a lot more inconsistent.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: October 18, 2012, 02:27:34 AM »
Well Vince Gilligan admitted that they're just making up Breaking Bad as they go along
As far as i know they've got the outline for at least one flash forward ahead, and later as season goes, they fill in the details.

As long as there is at least some thought and some foreplanning involved, i'm fine. Ideally -- you're fixed in number of seasons and know exactly what you're doing in each of them and how you want your character to be like.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: October 18, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
As long as there is at least some thought and some foreplanning involved, i'm fine. Ideally -- you're fixed in number of seasons and know exactly what you're doing in each of them and how you want your character to be like.

If a show has a fixed number of seasons and fixed number of episodes in them (and knowing that from the show's launch!) nearly every show would simply be awesome. Think Torchwood: Children of Earth and Sherlock's 3 episode season.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: October 27, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
The latest episode from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was fucking hilarious. It's a Halloween episode.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: October 27, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
The latest episode from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was fucking hilarious. It's a Halloween episode.

Speaking of Danny DeVito, I really hope he makes a sequel to Matilda. I absolutely loved that movie.

DeVito is God. Or is that Pacino? :)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
DeVito is God. Or is that Pacino? :)
Neither. This guy:

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: October 27, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
Bruce Campbell?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:34:37 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »
Humanity has declined ep 3

So far it looks like this is comprised of a bunch of self contained story arcs, seems like its going for a "stupid with hidden not so hidden messages" approach in a sorta south park kind of way. So far it's pretty funny but because of it's self contained nature it'll probably be best to take this show slow instead of taking the weekend marathon approach. I also should add that the last half of episode 2 is the most epic thing ever XD

FYI: this is the show with the suicide bread
from the "best of anime" thread
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:38:16 AM by Lithium »

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: October 29, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Alright current television I am down to two shows, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother. Big Bang Theory I can keep watching until the end of time, How I Met Your Mother, should have ended three seasons ago. I told myself when last season ended, that was it for me. I was getting into Doctor Who but that show runs on funky British time so the seasons is already over.

How do I rate it, let's see Big Bang is a good 9 out of ten right now, it keeps me laughing. It has had some bumps in the road but Sheldon continues to crack me up. How I met Your Mother, last season was a crappy 3 out of 10 and I can't keep going. Doctor Who has always been hit and miss, but it had a great ending despite a really sluggish start. I would say about 7 out of 10 as usual. Some seasons are better than others but for the most part the show remains fairly consistent.

As for what I really watch, my daily schedule is Everybody Loves Raymond, That 70's Show, Boy Meets World, and Roseanne DVD's. If not for those my TV would be collecting dust. Well until NBA seasons starts up again then it comes back to life.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: October 29, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »
Mockingbird Lane

It'a remake of the old television show The Munsters.
All I can really say is that I enjoyed it pretty much from beginning to end.

It's a light hearted comedic monster family mash-up that I have already recommended to a co-worker that would probably appreciate the new take on the old show.

edit: And I just found out that it's by the same guy that did Pushing Daises (Fuller). I knew there was a familiar charm about this show, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:04:06 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
Humanity has declined ep 3

So far it looks like this is comprised of a bunch of self contained story arcs, seems like its going for a "stupid with hidden not so hidden messages" approach in a sorta south park kind of way. So far it's pretty funny but because of it's self contained nature it'll probably be best to take this show slow instead of taking the weekend marathon approach. I also should add that the last half of episode 2 is the most epic thing ever XD

FYI: this is the show with the suicide bread
from the "best of anime" thread

So i finished the show, and my opinion is basically the same. At first the humour leans towards "wtf" humour, it tries to leave you flabbergasted, but slowly it's humour turns more macabre. It definitely is a show that is trying to be stupid on the surface but subversive on the inside. Not mind-blowingly, mind you, but its still worth mentioning as it sort of lets you have your cake and eat it too. All in all, i thought it was a great show.

4/5

Broodwars will be happy to know that the next anime I'm watching will be Escaflowne (at least I think he's the one thats been singing its praises) its been on my radar but i never really got around to it.

I was also watching  the west wing, im on season 2, episode 4 (i think, cant remember off the top of my head)
It's good but it has a pretty big "raw raw government" vibe going on which can come across as a bit cheesy at times. It's also fairly episodic with a glimmer of a plot in the background but all in all, its good enough that I'm still watching..

I've seen boardwalk empire episode 7 as well, the ending of the episode was pretty fucked up haha
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:01:06 AM by Lithium »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 04, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
666 Park Avenue (8/10)  - The hotel manager is basically the devil. People make deals with him, and he expects payment in return. If they don't keep their word, bad things happen. There's also a ghostly child hidden in the basement.

The Neighbors (7/10) - A [human] family moves to a community inhabited by green aliens disguised as fellow humans.

Once Upon a Time (10/10) - ABC's fairytale drama combines every single Disney-esque character into one show, and Rumplestiltskin is the main villain.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:58:59 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2124 on: November 04, 2012, 10:51:22 PM »
Nick's TMNT cartoon (Episode...5?).

God, I love this show. It's a lot better than I thought it would be going in, but it's really grown on me, and the new theme song is BOSS.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.