Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199189 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #2025 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
My wife and I started that show, but it got to an episode pretty early where it was basically just Joan Rivers talking about showbusiness for a half hour. It wasn't funny. I didn't understand what the point was. The previous episodes were hit or miss. Overall, it seemed like an uneven show.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #2026 on: July 29, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
That's a fairly weird episode. That's in season 2 I think, did you not watch season 1? A lot of this show isn't "funny", but I'm totally fine with that. It's about more than that. The Afghanistan episodes were amazing, and a perfect example of what the show is trying to do. If you want to try it again at all, just skip up to those.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2027 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

Season 2? Huh, maybe we were watching it on Netflix or something.

I've heard that the show is very difficult to categorize. I'm okay with that TO A POINT, but I'm just not that patient.

Hmph. Well, we're back to watching Community. That show is streets ahead.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 01, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »
Louie is the type of show you just sit back and enjoy like a good book. Because that's what this is; an semi-autobiographical book, one episode at a time. It's not a laugh a minute, it's not even funny sometimes, but it is always endearing. There's something about watching this comedian on screen dealing with his daughters, pregnant sister, neighbors, hecklers, women in general, and other comedians that is mesmerizing.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 20, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »
What's the plan Walt? What's the plan?!?!

And what is the thing that causes all the dominoes to start falling against you?

Can't believe there are only two more episodes left and then one whole year until the final conclusion.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »
I thought last night was only episode 6? Are there only 8 episodes this season?

And I've been saying "What's the plan Walt!?"  all morning.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »
They split the final season, which is 16 episodes, into two smaller chunks: one this year and one next year, each 8 episodes long.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 20, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
They split the final season, which is 16 episodes, into two smaller chunks: one this year and one next year, each 8 episodes long.

I know. They tricked me. I heard that this was the final season so I decided to finally watch it all so since I heard it was very addictive and didn't want to be constantly for future seasons only to find out halfway through watching it would be divided into 2. Just great.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 21, 2012, 01:55:21 AM »
That episode had some great moments but overall it was pretty weak. There were a lot of out of character moments. Just things that the main characters would do that they normally are smart enough to avoid. "Even pros make mistakes" I guess.

As for Walt's plan, I think we all have an inclination of what is going to happen. Maybe not specifically but plot wise. It's probably going to go to **** for everyone else but Walt. Sorry Mike.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad. I just finished season 3. Great show, but not as good as some people might suggest.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
I'm still catching up on Breaking Bad. I just finished season 3. Great show, but not as good as some people might suggest.

You're banned from these forums.

Also, I haven't watched any of season 5 yet, because toward the end of last year I introduced my college roommates to the show and I promised them I wouldn't watch the new ones until we could watch them together. Splitting the season is really going to screw us up, though, because unless they want to stay and do grad school like I am they won't be there to watch the final episodes together. Maybe I should sabotage their grades so they have to stay one more term.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:14 PM »

You're banned from these forums.

lol.

I'm still enjoying it, but I do think that people have overestimated how good it is. The show's portrayal of drug dealers, the street and the police is incredibly simplistic and uninteresting in my opinion (epecially when compared to the likes of The Wire and The Corner). I also think that some of the characters are just poorly written (The Moncada brothers for example). At this point (season 3) I've also completely lost the thread for what Walter's motives are. I love the ambiguity of the character but sometimes I get the sense that the writers have lost the character to the narrative.

It's among the better shows on TV right not, there's no doubt about that, but it's far from perfect.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:51:27 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
I see where you're coming from, and yeah, it doesn't do those things as well as The Wire, but I'd argue it's not trying to. The show's about Walt and his breakdown, and an accurate portrayal of the street level stuff isn't really important to that. In season 3, Walt's basically just fighting to stay afloat. He had gotten in over his head and probably didn't expect to still be alive at that point, so he's kind of grasping at straws. Not having watched any of season 5 yet I can't vouch for that, but I think season 4 does a good job of focusing things onto a goal, and Walt's got a pretty clear motive at that point.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2038 on: August 21, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
3rd season of Community.

It's...so different than the previous seasons. Not sure what to think about that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
I don't think it's that different. It's still basically the same show as it's always been, at least as it was in season 2.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: August 23, 2012, 02:46:48 AM »
Did anybody watch Season 1 of Person of Interest? Anyone looking forward to S2?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 23, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
I saw season 1. It was alright.... I'm actually surprised it for a second season to be honest, but I mighty tune in if I don't have a full tv load at the time

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
I saw season 1. It was alright.... I'm actually surprised it for a second season to be honest, but I mighty tune in if I don't have a full tv load at the time

It surprisingly did very well in the ratings, so S2 was guaranteed at that point.  It started off very weak and formulaic but they started layering stuff in by the middle and paid off really nicely.

It's one of the few shows this season that caught my eye.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »
I don't think it's that different. It's still basically the same show as it's always been, at least as it was in season 2.

I agree with this.  There are actually sort of parallels between Community and Arrested Development in terms of how they've progressed from somewhat normal comedies to absolutely absurd (hilarious) situations/episodes.

Both season 2 and 3 have a more heavy focus on concept episodes and storylines that deviate from the community college class focus Season 1 had.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: August 27, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
That episode had some great moments but overall it was pretty weak. There were a lot of out of character moments. Just things that the main characters would do that they normally are smart enough to avoid. "Even pros make mistakes" I guess.

As for Walt's plan, I think we all have an inclination of what is going to happen. Maybe not specifically but plot wise. It's probably going to go to **** for everyone else but Walt. Sorry Mike.

Damn, called it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »

Damn, called it.

No more half measures.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 03, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »
Well, as folks on my Twitter feed can attest, playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron got me in the mood to watch Transformers stuff again, so I decided to give Transformers Prime - Season 1 another shot via its Season 1 Blu Ray.  Well, that first episode is still kind of iffy, but once I got past that...holy ****, how does this show EXIST?!  It's written by two of the main writers for the first two Transformers movies, and yet somehow it's...GOOD and well-written?  WTF? How does that happen?   :Q

I'm still early in the first season, but I'm floored by how much I'm enjoying this show so far (especially the dark, for Transformers, depths the show will go).  It still isn't reaching the heights that Beast Wars hit with its interesting and entertaining character dynamics, the squishy humans are still obnoxious and irritatingly non-squishy, and Bumblebee is modeled after his non-talking movie version.  But still...this show is a statistical impossibility, given how it came to be and who wrote it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2047 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
Isn't Prime on Netflix?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
Isn't Prime on Netflix?

I think the first season is, yes.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
Isn't Prime on Netflix?

I think the first season is, yes.
It is.
Though they haven't put the second season up or Rescue Bots up.  Which Rescue Bots might be the oddest of the Transformers from what I've seen.  Ironically though it may in its own way be the most realistic.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.