Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199092 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1975 on: April 24, 2012, 03:37:19 AM »
The last episode "Letters of Transit" is very much an episode designed to throw forward into next season, completely ignoring if they get a season 5 or not. The only way it will make sense now is if it's tied into the current storyline, or whatever happens in episodes 20-22. I have hopes they do.

Fringe always goes for the long ball, but deals with it and moves on after a season. Only a few major things keep going on beyond that.

And can i say now, even though John Noble is an incredible actor the rest of the main cast are all equally as amazing. Jasika Nicole, who plays Asteroid, completely nails the alternate Austrid, her mannerisms and that stunted cadence.

It's an insult that Fringe and Lost premiered at the same time while Lost got all the hype and accolades.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:02:08 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 24, 2012, 07:05:13 AM »
watched the first ep of VEEP it has potiental from what i can tell, kind of like parks and rec but upscaled to capitol hill

edit:

finished episode 100 of One piece. I really like how so far all of the stuff that happened in past episodes actually matter. I was worried that with a show this long (and i've only seen about 1/5th of the series) that they would pull a DBZ and add a shitton of filler and resets (oh the main bad guy is killed! alright let's add a new random bad guy that's even STRONGER and do the exact same song and dance all over again!)

but one thing that strikes me about the art style is how reminiscent it is of older styles of american animation like the old popeye cartoons, It gives the show a real unique look to it since it's old american animation filtered through an anime lense, the art style becomes the best of both worlds because of that imo. The Anime art style was originally inspired by those old cartoons and after a couple of decades of divergent evolution became what we know as anime today, so it's kind of a nice callback.

Speaking of art styles, after watching this show I get the sense that windwaker was heavilly inspired by One Piece, both in art and setting.

and

are pretty good examples of what i mean. Hell, Apis (the character above) is basically Girl link personality wise.
she even has a hat [size=78%]http://i.imgur.com/hcqYB.jpg[/size]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:00:17 PM by Lithium »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »
DBZ is easily one of the worse Anime out there that got popular. Besides the Vegeta saga, it pretty much falls off a cliff. A Shitton of filler is understating how much filler that show had. In the uncensored, uncut version I saw which had the full 45 minute episodes had even more filler. The cut western release on TV had half an episode at 20 so minutes and half of that was recap of the previous episode. If filler could be weaponized, DBZ would win any war.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1978 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
Wow, I could not disagree more. DBZ was a great anime. Sure there was some filler, but mainly it happened when they caught up to the manga and had to stall for time while Toriyama write more issues. It gets really good as it goes along.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:49 PM »
Tonite's episode of Community was great.

Law & Order parody that was very well done without losing what Community is in the process.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: April 26, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »
Jason Alexander needs to bring back Duckman. That was an amazing show.

QFT
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 27, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
DBZ is easily one of the worse Anime out there that got popular.

I could not agree more. The entire "super-powered guys fighting each other" genre is about as bland as you can get. Unless you're a ten year-old boy, of course.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
DBZ is easily one of the worse Anime out there that got popular.

I could not agree more. The entire "super-powered guys fighting each other" genre is about as bland as you can get. Unless you're a ten year-old boy, of course.
Wow, I could not disagree more. DBZ was a great anime. Sure there was some filler, but mainly it happened when they caught up to the manga and had to stall for time while Toriyama write more issues. It gets really good as it goes along.
DBZ had its moments, but the Manga is much much better.  For the simple fact that fight that took multiple episodes in the series boil down to a couple of pages in the Manga and you still get the sense of scope and time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1983 on: April 27, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
I think it boiled down to the same reason as filler, they were making the show at the same time Toriyama was making the manga, so they had to stretch it out so they wouldn't catch up.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 27, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
I think it boiled down to the same reason as filler, they were making the show at the same time Toriyama was making the manga, so they had to stretch it out so they wouldn't catch up.
I beleive its two fold.

1. Filler.
2. In print saying "1 year Later..." is just or more effective then say 5 pages of charging.  On TV your really need some real time to go into it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1985 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
If filler could be weaponized, DBZ would win any war.

Even against Naruto's 70+ straight episodes of filler?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 28, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »
Didn't they remake DBZ with almost no filler?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 28, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »
Yes they did.

I'v never really watched Naruto, but I find it hard to imagine a show that could dethrone DBZ in the land of filler. We're talking 2-3 straight episodes to cover about 2 minutes of actual action, yet we were all hooked on the damn show like it was crack.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 28, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
This week's Community did the well-trodden Law & Order parody, but executed it very well. I would have loved it regardless of overall quality, though, after Professor Kane (Michael K. Williams) made a point by saying "A man must have a code."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:51 AM »
Fringe has been renewed!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 28, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
Yes they did.

I'v never really watched Naruto, but I find it hard to imagine a show that could dethrone DBZ in the land of filler. We're talking 2-3 straight episodes to cover about 2 minutes of actual action, yet we were all hooked on the damn show like it was crack.
Naruto had quite a bit of filler and when it got back from Filler the series had become so stereotypical it was no longer worth watching.  Same goes for Bleach.  THen there is the whole Inuyasha thing.  They rushed through a good refillable plot and then had many seasons where they didn't know what to do.  I'm pretty sure what happened was the season they rushed the main plot along they were told would be there last but, they got renewed before it was to late to stop what was happening.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »
I loved DBZ, but Morari was right on the money because I was also Ten. As far as filler less DBZ goes, there is Dragonball Kai, its not so much cutting out the filler as it is re-cutting the show to follow the Manga as far as i know. Of course you can allways just see Team Four Star's DBZ abridged instead. You can thank me later.

Never watched Naruto or Bleach because i heard horror stories about the filler, I thought One Piece might be the same which is why i put off watching it until now but it's actually really good. I think i can count the filler episodes on one hand after 104 eps.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:15:54 AM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
I loved DBZ, but Morari was right on the money because I was also Ten. As far as filler less DBZ goes, there is Dragonball Kai, its not so much cutting out the filler as it is re-cutting the show to follow the Manga as far as i know. Of course you can allways just see Team Four Star's DBZ abridged instead. You can thank me later.

Never watched Naruto or Bleach because i heard horror stories about the filler, I thought One Piece might be the same which is why i put off watching it until now but it's actually really good. I think i can count the filler episodes on one hand after 104 eps.
The super One-Piece fans can correct me on this but I think One-Piece puts more filler in as they go instead of just having a long arch all the sudden of filler.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1993 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »
Yes they did.

It was like 76 straight episodes of nonsense where the manga had a three year time jump.

Bleach was bad because the filler arcs were lengthy and pointless, sometimes even damaging to the continuity. There was even (at least) one filler arc that was smack dab in the middle of another arc that totally ruined the pace of the show. Then they get back tot he main story and have to remind the viewers of what was going on before everyone just kind of fell in a hole and got distracted on the way out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 20, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Prison Break 9/10 I like the first 3 seasons, sort of jumps the shark in season 4, ill eventually get back to the show, but i watched it for several days straight.

The Riches 8.5/10 this was pretty good, too bad they took it off

United States of Tara 8.5/10 again good show, i started watching it when it first came on but dropped showtime to save money, but didnt see season 2 until i got netflix recently, again kinda dissapointed they took it off.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1995 on: May 20, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
I thoughfint season 3 was meh, season 4 is better IMO. The whole Scylla arc and finding out how everything from the 4 seasons wrap together and how/why The Company did what they did.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 20, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
oh well maybe i should watch season 4 haha, its just you know hey your girlfriend is dead! wait no shes not! Hey you freed this guy out of prison after extensive planning, he's now....dead! You were in prison....your free! I watched just the first episode of season 4 and thats when i decided to take a break. Too much deus ex machina going on.

I did start watching Breakout Kings which has Prison Break DNA, I watched the first episode, and then I found out T-Bag was on episode 3, so i skipped to that.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 21, 2012, 01:23:25 AM »
I never really started with Prison Break. It jumped the Shark at the end of season one as far as I was concerned. It was one of those concept shows that was never meant to be a ongoing series. Break out of prison, the series ends. From the bits and pieces I saw of the later seasons, it just got more stupid as th group would get themselves thrown into another prison, jail or confined space where they had to break into or out of for X reason what got to the point where it became a running joke.The story just grew out of control with no end in sight. Stupid.

Sherlock 11/10. Hot crumpets. I haven't seen the last episode of season 2 but damn this is good. not saying more until then.

Warehouse 13. Still continues to entertain, gutsy at times, still fairly predicable, characters a hair inconsistant. Has enough sexual tension to cut with a knife. It knows it's not a complicated show and it happily stays there. Oh hey it's Kate Mulgrew!
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:57 AM »
Just saw the last episode of Sherlock Series 2. Ho-lee shyt. That was the best and most entertaining hour and a half of television I've had in a long time. Though I have to wonder, Why did the police stop trying to find Holmes? Why is Moriarty dead? And how the **** did Holmes not die? He fucking jumped off a building!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 22, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
Sanctuary has been cancelled. It never was amazing but it was a good series that maintained its premise well. I'm noticing since SGU started there has been increasingly cheaper shows taking priority (Eureka, Warehouse 13, Alphas) over the ones that broke tradition. I'm just glad that the season 4 finale actually works quite nicely as a series finale.

Person of Interest - A lot of people got hyped up at first over this (because its a JJ series), then the hype disappeared fairly quickly because it appears to be a basic procedural. At first it beds down into that procedural rut but then, very smoothly, starts expanding its list of recurring characters and players into the game. It's strange how this show simply became more interesting. It's intriguing use of post 9/11 paranoia really sets the tone with some of the characters. Lets hope S2 takes this and goes forward.