Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199247 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1750 on: November 16, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
If you like the first season of Archer just wait till you see the second. The first is great, but the second is, in my opinion, one of the best seasons of any comedy I've ever seen. Brilliantly written, marvelously performed. I can't wait for the third.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
I've been watching them like an obsessive stalker; i.e. profusely and they are even more hysterical. Krieger...my god Krieger had the best line ever "That'll do Pigly...That'll do." *Gunshots*, I literally spit up my drink.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 16, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
You're in for a real treat, as the show just keeps getting better. Now that Community has effectively been canceled it's probably the best comedy on television.

Please tell me your a terribad person and spawn the lies of Satan. I know the station here did something really stupid and stopped showing episode mid season 1 before restarting over half a year later which may have dicked with the ratings. Currently on Jeff plays pool episode.

Archer is amazing. Pretty much anything H. Jon Benjamin touches is gold.

He makes Archer work in the most excellent way, but I present to you evidence of your lies : Bob's burgers. It's good, but never gold. Also, to hell with Lana, I want to choke  Carol Cristal Carina Cheryl so bad.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
You're in for a real treat, as the show just keeps getting better. Now that Community has effectively been canceled it's probably the best comedy on television.

Please tell me your a terribad person and spawn the lies of Satan. I know the station here did something really stupid and stopped showing episode mid season 1 before restarting over half a year later which may have dicked with the ratings. Currently on Jeff plays pool episode.

No, I'm afraid NBC has removed Community from their midseason lineup. It's sounding like the rest of season three will be completed and possibly aired next summer if not only appearing on DVD, but that's the end.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1754 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
16MB GIF @ this link
http://i.minus.com/ifDfH3gAs3GWF.gif

screenshot below (for those of you on 56K connections)

My god. MY GOD. I have no words. That's like a "Legendary Swordfish" or something from D&D. I'm so glad I don't watch that crap anymore.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 17, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
OMG, I'm watching ep 6 of Archer and LOL

"Cause you walked into Strippers Discount Warehouse and said help me showcase my intellect!"

So many funny ass lines in this show. So many twisted "WTF" lines in this show too.

I watched the pilot episode when it had first aired on FX but for some reason never caught the show when it actually aired a month or 2 later. I've also had it in my Netflix queue since it first popped up on streaming, but I only just started watching it because of the comments made by you guys yesterday.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 27, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »
Kyle XY

I was surprised at how much I liked this show. I'm gonna guess that it didn't get good ratings because the story ends on a reveal, but I was really into it.

It's about a teenaged boy that wakes up in the middle of the forest without any knowledge as to who he is or where he is or why is. He wanders into the city butt ass nekkid where he then gets adopted by his therapist and her family. Turns out this boy is very special though and has abilities that no human should have. The son of the family swears up and down that "Kyle" (they boy from the woods) is an alien, and even though the rest of the family doesn't believe he's an alien, they certainly know that he is not a normal human.

The thing that got me most in the beginning was the sad and innocent puppy dog eyes that Kyle had as e tried to figure out what it meant to be "human". He was a mathematical genius, and he was able to learn facts extremely fast, but his understanding of why people do or say the things they do and say was a much different learning experience. This show is actually pretty damn funny, thanx mostly to Kyle not understanding human behavior, but the banter between the brother and sister are usually on point too.

This looks like yet another good show cut down before it's time, but it was fun while it lasted.

:confused; :Q :) ;D :'( ;) ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:01:17 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 27, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
Battlestar Galactica

Man decides to play god and create a robotic slave race. One day the robotic slave race (The Cylons) decides that they want freedom and decide to fight back. This leads to the near extinction of the human race. The only military ship left in the Galactic Human Army was BS Galactica and they have to find a way to preserve the human race and destroy the Cylon threat before it's too late.

I've watched the first 2 episodes, and I'm into it. It's nothing like what I thought it would be other than it takes place in space. It's not too techie, and I haven't seen any alien races yet, which is good because I was trying to avoid those type of shows for the moment. So far it's actually kinda suspenseful with lots of action and drama as they try to figure out who is not who they say they are while just trying to keep the peace and order.

Onto episode 3 ;D

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
Battlestar Galactica

Man decides to play god and create a robotic slave race. One day the robotic slave race (The Cylons) decides that they want freedom and decide to fight back. This leads to the near extinction of the human race. The only military ship left in the Galactic Human Army was BS Galactica and they have to find a way to preserve the human race and destroy the Cylon threat before it's too late.

I've watched the first 2 episodes, and I'm into it. It's nothing like what I thought it would be other than it takes place in space. It's not too techie, and I haven't seen any alien races yet, which is good because I was trying to avoid those type of shows for the moment. So far it's actually kinda suspenseful with lots of action and drama as they try to figure out who is not who they say they are while just trying to keep the peace and order.

Onto episode 3 ;D

If you really do end up loving the show, do yourself a favor and just stop watching the series after Season 3.  Personally, I'd actually argue to stop after Season 2, because those first two seasons are easily where the show peaked, but Season 3 has its fans.  The show just takes a spectacular nosedive in quality with Season 4, culminating in the only TV show ending that's pissed me off more than Lost's (and that's only because I cared about Battlestar more).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:59:26 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 27, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »
While I would normally say he should watch the whole thing so he can make up his own mind... Blacknmild21k, consider yourself given fair warning. The show couldn't crater any harder into the ground than it did besides a K-T asteroid event.

Just started Season 2 of SGU. Yeah, the cracks are starting to show. I really liked the first season since it was mostly the crew verses the ship, but the season season is starting to become LOST, which is BS. Young continues to improve his kill death ratio, in TKing. Rush is rightfully going insane even though he is their best chance to get home as the collective pressure not only from external threats, but from his own shipmates has proven his paranoia correct to everybody's determent as they continue to bring earth politics to the other side of the universe. One of the only sane people Eli, is now effectively marginalised into an extra on and off set. Professional cock tease Chloe continues to frustrate both the crew and the viewing audience to the dismay of many right handed persons.

There has been a drop in the quality of the writing marked with one very poorly written death that shouldn't have happened for a number of in universe reasons. They have been trying to bring in other demographics, but LOST style story arcs are the last thing any show needs.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:13 AM »
While I would normally say he should watch the whole thing so he can make up his own mind... Blacknmild21k, consider yourself given fair warning. The show couldn't crater any harder into the ground than it did besides a K-T asteroid event.

Just started Season 2 of SGU. Yeah, the cracks are starting to show. I really liked the first season since it was mostly the crew verses the ship, but the season season is starting to become LOST, which is BS. Young continues to improve his kill death ratio, in TKing. Rush is rightfully going insane even though he is their best chance to get home as the collective pressure not only from external threats, but from his own shipmates has proven his paranoia correct to everybody's determent as they continue to bring earth politics to the other side of the universe. One of the only sane people Eli, is now effectively marginalised into an extra on and off set. Professional cock tease Chloe continues to frustrate both the crew and the viewing audience to the dismay of many right handed persons.

There has been a drop in the quality of the writing marked with one very poorly written death that shouldn't have happened for a number of in universe reasons. They have been trying to bring in other demographics, but LOST style story arcs are the last thing any show needs.

SGU was planned to be a 5-season show from the start, so a lot of those arcs were written with the idea of going into the next season to resolve. I felt that the stories were starting to become stargatey, which is a good thing almost, except some of the characters should have been more prominent.

Greer should have been more of a major character rather than a "as and when" one. If they swapped Camille's sexuality storyline with his bad-parentage/bad-upbringing one it would have given us more reason to see Greer do more un-Greer things rather than be a standard military type all the time. I always felt that Jamil Walker-Smith (who plays him), Louis Ferrera (who plays Young) and Robert Carlyle were the best three actors on the show.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:00:54 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:48 AM »
so Walking dead finally picks up....and then mid season hiatus....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 28, 2011, 06:24:38 AM »
I expected the multi-season arcs since it is Stargate and those arcs was what made the show successful. What I don't like is the pseudo mystical rubbish they started bringing in at the start of the second season. SG while self aware a lot of time, is a pretty science-y show with mysticism kept at arms length. While Daniel Jackson dealt with that aspect, it was always know it was always a case of having really advanced aliens.

Season 1 has SG like episodes like "Time" and it was easily the best in season 1. Camile is a really pointless character, her only function which is the same function she had back in Atlantis, is to play Real Politiks. Her sexuality has absolutely no bearing and is only included so they had an edgy character to chaff American sensibilities. It never should have become a plot point. Who gives a damn, you're stuck on a ship you have no control of in the otherside of the universe, you have bigger problems.

I don't blame the actors, not one bit. Young should have maned up to his new responsibilities by now, but the writers keep writing him into a corner, making him worse and worse with each passing episode. Greer is awesome, but like Eli, they keep getting written out. Season 2 feels like it is actually moving away from SG even with the inclusion of space corn pirates.

The shows setup is a perfect Metroid like story structure. The ship like Samus starts off weak and to explore she must get more powerful by exploring. SGU is the same with exploration and increased control being one and the same. Atlantis is similar, but the whole thing about being cut off from the rest of humanity was pretty quickly forgotten. Maybe doing a Atlantis redux on a ship may have been too soon, instead of exploring more of our own galaxy.

But I am only on season 2 episode 2 and maybe they are the worse episodes of the bunch. Season 1 was pretty good, if not a little too serious for it's own good. At least it doesn't have "Our people" Taylor going on and on. A drinking game based on her would be lethal.

They haven't started showing the 2nd season of Walking Dead here, but there seems to be a nasty pattern of networks trying to kill shows that aren't "reality" shows by putting them on mid season hiatus even if they might have shot more episodes so they can justify dropping the show after the ratings naturally slip as people have to find the show again. It's even more asinine when a perfectly good show gets bumped by a "Reality TV event".

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 28, 2011, 06:59:12 AM »
I expected the multi-season arcs since it is Stargate and those arcs was what made the show successful. What I don't like is the pseudo mystical rubbish they started bringing in at the start of the second season. SG while self aware a lot of time, is a pretty science-y show with mysticism kept at arms length. While Daniel Jackson dealt with that aspect, it was always know it was always a case of having really advanced aliens.

Season 1 has SG like episodes like "Time" and it was easily the best in season 1. Camile is a really pointless character, her only function which is the same function she had back in Atlantis, is to play Real Politiks. Her sexuality has absolutely no bearing and is only included so they had an edgy character to chaff American sensibilities. It never should have become a plot point. Who gives a damn, you're stuck on a ship you have no control of in the otherside of the universe, you have bigger problems.

I don't blame the actors, not one bit. Young should have maned up to his new responsibilities by now, but the writers keep writing him into a corner, making him worse and worse with each passing episode. Greer is awesome, but like Eli, they keep getting written out. Season 2 feels like it is actually moving away from SG even with the inclusion of space corn pirates.

The shows setup is a perfect Metroid like story structure. The ship like Samus starts off weak and to explore she must get more powerful by exploring. SGU is the same with exploration and increased control being one and the same. Atlantis is similar, but the whole thing about being cut off from the rest of humanity was pretty quickly forgotten. Maybe doing a Atlantis redux on a ship may have been too soon, instead of exploring more of our own galaxy.

But I am only on season 2 episode 2 and maybe they are the worse episodes of the bunch. Season 1 was pretty good, if not a little too serious for it's own good. At least it doesn't have "Our people" Taylor going on and on. A drinking game based on her would be lethal.

Camille's sexuality wasn't anything worthy to be spoken about, but it's yet to be shown on TV properly when its either male or black. I actually put that point to the producers and one of them agreed that "there's more to be done".
Plus Greer is such a kick-ass character i would have loved to have seen a different side to him alongside his brutal military nature. Imagine if Greer's aggressive personality was due to a bad relationship on earth that just left him distrusting of nearly everyone and deeply caring about those who he cares for, like his bromance with Scott? I'd only accept it if it was written in a way that directly influences who he is now, not what he did before.

The only reason i mention the actors, and especially those three (and Eli to a point) is that except for Rush and Young the rest (especially Greer and Eli) didn't get much to chew on and flex themselves with.

It's interesting you mention the Metroid story structure - it's so accurate now that you mention it. Who knows, maybe in season 3 they could have accessed the computer core which accessed the AI and hallucinations to explain the dead bodies we found in the pilot?

I won't spoil any episodes but there's a couple of good ones coming up.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
So if I decide to bail on BSG after s3, should I bother watching Caprica?

I've already added it to the queue just incase.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1765 on: November 28, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
I think you should watch the whole series personally.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 28, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
It would be pretty hard to stop at the end of season 3 given how ridiculous the cliffhanger is. I've seen people argue you should stop at the midpoint of season 4, which I could see working.

J.P. Corbran

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1767 on: November 28, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Just watch it and make up your own g.d. mind.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 28, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
I was gonna watch the whole thing anyway as long as i didn't lose interest.

But should I watch Caprica too?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1769 on: November 28, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
That I haven't seen.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 28, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
I was gonna watch the whole thing anyway as long as i didn't lose interest.

But should I watch Caprica too?

I've seen all of Caprica, and it's just a total mess.  I wouldn't bother with the series, as it's another show about a bunch of unlikeable characters trying to screw each other over.  The show tries desperately in the final episode to tie better into Battlestar Galactica, but if you've seen the backstory told in BSG you'll know that the two just don't mesh.  The show got canceled after one season for good reason: it's terrible.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 28, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Just a shout-out since I know we have some Claymore fans on here, but for "Cyber Monday" for today ONLY The Right Stuf has the Blu-Ray for that series on sale for $22.

There are some other notable anime blu-rays and DVDs on sale as well worth checking out, as I ordered the Angel Beats Blu-Ray for $28 (and it's a short series I do recommend for its hilarious comedy and somewhat-satisfactory ending).  So yeah, check it out.  But remember that this sale ends at 11:59 PM tonight (EST, I believe), so get on it if you're interested.  TRSI is a great site that I've used in the past for a lot of my anime ordering.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:02:28 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 28, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Archer Season 3 Teaser: Heart of Archness

:-D

Boardwalk Empire

Soooooo dope. Keep it coming HBO. Keep it coming.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
I've stopped watching Boardwalk....

I'm watching too many shows and that one was just moving way to slow.
I guess I'll pick it back up after the season ends and I can just marathon it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 28, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
so when i hear caprica i think land of goats, are there goats?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post