Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199373 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1625 on: October 04, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
They're not birds, people, they're pterosaurs, like Pterandon.

Halbred's Crazy Dino-Bitching About Terra Nova

Okay. FIRST OFF.

There's no reason to use fictional dinosaurs when there are PLENTY of awesome REAL dinosaurs in the fossil record. I don't know what the f*ck that "Slasher" thing was supposed to be. It was clearly designed by a committee: "Let's put a dilophosaur head on a raptor body, ignore well-established rules regarding wrist orientation in theropods, and then put a spike-thing on its tail!" Don't get me fricking started.

Second, the carnotaurs. I love Carnotaurus. It's my favorite dinosaur (for realz). But if any of the designers had bothered to read Carnotaurus' Wikipedia page, they would have seen that ol' Carnotaurus basically doesn't have arms. It has short little immobile stumps with a paw that was probably encased in soft tissue. Seriously, go look at this bugger's arm. IT'S WIERD. And it would've taken a 2-second internet search to realize that.

It's sad when Disney's Dinosaur gets something right that you can't, FOX.

NEXT COMPLAINT.

Brachiosaurs. Jesus. Talk about a Jurassic Park moment. But these were rubber-necked beasts with lips for some reason. When the Older Daughter called them "Brachiosauri," I wanted to scream, and when she started talking about how they also ate lizards and had differentiated incisors, I wanted to shoot the TV. Also, hey folks, Brachiosaurus lived in North America during the Late Jurassic period. Carnotaurus lived in Patagonia during the Late Cretaceous. THIS ISN'T HARD.

If you want to have Terra Nova in a dinosaur-infested time, pick the Late Jurassic's Morrison Formation. All the sauropods, stegosaurs, ornithopods, and theropods you could want.

Finally, let's get to the rhamphorhychoids.

Everybody here has seen a picture of Rhamphorhynchus. It's a small pterosaur with a long tail that has a diamond-shaped vane on the tip. It has a long snout and long, procurved teeth for CATCHING FISH. In Terra Nova, it's a death-dealing skybound terror. AWESOME. There's also no reason a rhamphorhynchoid (that's the larger paraphyletic group to which Rhamphorhynchus belongs to) would nest on the ground. These animals could barely walk on the ground, and in fact the complete lack of rhamphorhynchoid trackways suggests that they DIDN'T or did very rarely, and when they did they were EATEN. The structure of their uropatagia joined the hind limbs at the ankles. These animals were arboreal. THEY NESTED IN TREES.

YOU IDIOTS (not you readers, the people who made Terra Nova).

GODDAMMIT IT MAKES ME ANGRY.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 04, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Something else that bothered me about Terra Nova when I watched the pilot that I just remembered: so...with your planet dying and your futuristic society on the verge of extinction, your first solution for your overpopulation problem was to send handfuls of people through an inter-dimensional portal to a prehistoric world that may or may not exist?  You'd think the first option may have been...oh I don't know...space travel?  What, has this futuristic society capable of stabilizing a rift in space and time not invented intergalactic travel?  Has it not even attempted to colonize other worlds, or did humanity's technological advancement stop when we invented the Blade Runner-esque 50 ft. television screens?

EDIT: Oh no...I just saw on IGN that Terra Nova's showrunner is Brannon Braga.  This isn't going to end well, unless Manny Coto miraculously shows up to save this series as well (like he did on Enterprise).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:59:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 04, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
They're not birds, people, they're pterosaurs, like Pterandon.

Halbred's Crazy Dino-Bitching About Terra Nova

Okay. FIRST OFF.

There's no reason to use fictional dinosaurs when there are PLENTY of awesome REAL dinosaurs in the fossil record. I don't know what the f*ck that "Slasher" thing was supposed to be. It was clearly designed by a committee: "Let's put a dilophosaur head on a raptor body, ignore well-established rules regarding wrist orientation in theropods, and then put a spike-thing on its tail!" Don't get me fricking started.

Second, the carnotaurs. I love Carnotaurus. It's my favorite dinosaur (for realz). But if any of the designers had bothered to read Carnotaurus' Wikipedia page, they would have seen that ol' Carnotaurus basically doesn't have arms. It has short little immobile stumps with a paw that was probably encased in soft tissue. Seriously, go look at this bugger's arm. IT'S WIERD. And it would've taken a 2-second internet search to realize that.

It's sad when Disney's Dinosaur gets something right that you can't, FOX.

NEXT COMPLAINT.

Brachiosaurs. Jesus. Talk about a Jurassic Park moment. But these were rubber-necked beasts with lips for some reason. When the Older Daughter called them "Brachiosauri," I wanted to scream, and when she started talking about how they also ate lizards and had differentiated incisors, I wanted to shoot the TV. Also, hey folks, Brachiosaurus lived in North America during the Late Jurassic period. Carnotaurus lived in Patagonia during the Late Cretaceous. THIS ISN'T HARD.

If you want to have Terra Nova in a dinosaur-infested time, pick the Late Jurassic's Morrison Formation. All the sauropods, stegosaurs, ornithopods, and theropods you could want.

Finally, let's get to the rhamphorhychoids.

Everybody here has seen a picture of Rhamphorhynchus. It's a small pterosaur with a long tail that has a diamond-shaped vane on the tip. It has a long snout and long, procurved teeth for CATCHING FISH. In Terra Nova, it's a death-dealing skybound terror. AWESOME. There's also no reason a rhamphorhynchoid (that's the larger paraphyletic group to which Rhamphorhynchus belongs to) would nest on the ground. These animals could barely walk on the ground, and in fact the complete lack of rhamphorhynchoid trackways suggests that they DIDN'T or did very rarely, and when they did they were EATEN. The structure of their uropatagia joined the hind limbs at the ankles. These animals were arboreal. THEY NESTED IN TREES.

YOU IDIOTS (not you readers, the people who made Terra Nova).

GODDAMMIT IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

Have you taken a look at this series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primeval ? I love it, but I would like to know how does it fair with actual knowledge.

Something else that bothered me about Terra Nova when I watched the pilot that I just remembered: so...with your planet dying and your futuristic society on the verge of extinction, your first solution for your overpopulation problem was to send handfuls of people through an inter-dimensional portal to a prehistoric world that may or may not exist?  You'd think the first option may have been...oh I don't know...space travel?  What, has this futuristic society capable of stabilizing a rift in space and time not invented intergalactic travel?  Has it not even attempted to colonize other worlds, or did humanity's technological advancement stop when we invented the Blade Runner-esque 50 ft. television screens?

That's the first thing I thought when I watched a trailer for Terra Nova. It was so bad, I didn't even have the intention of watching Terra Nova just to check it out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 05, 2011, 03:39:42 AM »
I finished the anime series Claymore.

I haven't been able to get into an anime in years. I'm not sure why, but everytime I would turn one on, I would quickly lose interest and turn it off. That didn't happen with Claymore. I actually watched the whole 26 episode series in a few days and enjoyed every second of it. I would love to do a Brood style write up, but that's just not my style, so just know that I enjoyed it.

Now what I want to know is, is there a sequel or follow-up series?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 05, 2011, 05:33:43 AM »
Well, most animé is hard to watch because the Japanese don't seem to get tired of clichés. In fact it seems to be the opposite. They openly embrace them and copy. It gets worse, some stuff seems to be downright plagiarism.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
I think we can establish that Halbred knows more about Dino's then anyone on this board..

I just read an article he wrote on Psittacosaurs where he ripped a new one into a paper on the dinosaur.  Though I would find it amusing to watch a "...frog-kicking, flipper-handed doggy-paddler with the tail of both a crocodile and a lizard, the skin of an ichthyosaur, the tail of a salamander, and the environmental preference of a beaver."  Swimming... and maybe building a dam.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
I finished the anime series Claymore.

I haven't been able to get into an anime in years. I'm not sure why, but everytime I would turn one on, I would quickly lose interest and turn it off. That didn't happen with Claymore. I actually watched the whole 26 episode series in a few days and enjoyed every second of it. I would love to do a Brood style write up, but that's just not my style, so just know that I enjoyed it.

Now what I want to know is, is there a sequel or follow-up series?

No, according to Anime News Network's database, Claymore only had the 26 episodes.  Having never seen the show (there's just something about that art style that turns me off), it's hard to think of an another series like it to recommend.  You might like...

Darker than Black - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7382

Moribito - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6634

My-Hime - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4155 - an older Bandai series I like that takes the concept of "girls fighting monsters" and spins it into Highlander halfway through. 

Hellsing Ultimate - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5114

Hell Girl - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5577

Just some ideas, but there's plenty of good anime out there, albeit older ones.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 05, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
Darn you Halberd because, of you I saw the intro to the Japanese Ninja Turtles.  I must say that looks Spectacle-bad. Also I did like the newer CGI movie.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 05, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
I think we can establish that Halbred knows more about Dino's than anyone writing for Terra Nova...

Fixed!

But personally, it's fiction and it's an alternate time stream so...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
I think we can establish that Halbred knows more about Dino's than anyone writing for Terra Nova...

Fixed!

...I demand to see Flying Monkeys :P:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:56:02 PM by Ceric »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1635 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »

Fixed!

Not an excuse for bad science.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:03 AM »

Fixed!

Not an excuse for bad science.

How so? If a show reliably establishes it's own universe and is own application of science then how can that be bad?

For instance, are you going to take to fault Doctor Who with a 900 year old time travelling alien who flies around in a spaceship phonebox?
Or Primeval with time-travelling portals allowing past and future creatures/dinosaurs (some known, some not) into the present?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 06, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
If a show reliably establishes it's own universe and is own application of science...
I haven't gotten around to watching Terra Nova yet but, it doesn't sound like the show meets that minimum requirement. 

I like cartoons quite a bit but, the best ones only have you suspend belief for 1 or 2 elements when you boil it down.  Now these may be huge, different rules for physics let say, but, you can learn them and see that items are consistent.  I'll just have to watch it.

Now on Dr. Who, they've done a lot of things to change there rules more than once.  Especially since the series resumed.  In its own continuum the Doctor has worked with past versions of himself but, they make a big deal about the Tardis allowing Multiple Amy's to survive.  The Series also only has officially 2 more doctors left.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 06, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
American Horror Story - Wednesdays on FX

Well, this should be a fun ride. I'm not gonna critique the show, but I will say that some will find it horrible and others will find it very....umm, interesting.

It's about a family that moves to LA from the East Coast and moves into what may be a Haunted House. I wouldn't call it scary, but I sure as hell will be tuning in next week. I can't tell if it's so bad it's good, or exactly what I wanted expected, but a few more episodes will sort that issue out.

"Ugh, I hate trees" - one of the twins as he hits taps the tree with his bat.

"I want my drugs" - mean girl from the high school

But I will say one more thing. Hot Maid is HOT!!! except when she is old...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 06, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »
Pics or it isn't true :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 06, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
Pics or it isn't true :P:

And when I say hot, I not just talking looks, but actions. She is a slutty maid.

Spoiler from same scene....
http://i56.tinypic.com/riw2ur.jpg
^"cold shower"/"thinking about baseball"/"sobering" moment

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 06, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
After the whole thread that shalt be mentioned.  I'm a little disappointed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 06, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
If you were in his position.... you would not have held strong.

She appears to be the old maid to the wife and daughter but the young amid to the husband. She struts around in her thigh high stocking giving him the sexy eyes and pouty lips. The reaon they moved is because he got caught heating on his wife in their bed and they wanted a fresh start. His wife is upset and hasn't touched him in a year and the man had/has needs.
Straight out of the shower, he walks in on the maid masturbating (first pic) and immediately runs away to relieve himself in a similar fashion somewhere else. Later when in his office, the maid comes in and ask if she can clean in there... he declines, but she insist and then struts around the office playing right towards his manly needs and desires. She unbuttons her shirt, grabbing and squeezing her breast, then unfastens her thigh highs and straddles over him. She baits him into cheating again by mentioning that his wife ain't home and how she never mentioned him walking in on her earlier that day... it can be our little secret.

unfortunately, the daughter walked in and saw them, and that was the spoiler pic reminding us that she was really an old maid, not a young sexy one.

The show is twisted and a little creepy rubber suit guy. Right up my alley actually, so I will probably commit myself to atleast the next 3-4 episodes.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 06, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
As for Breaking Bad, it seems like everyone is jumping onboard the Walt poisoned Brock bandwagon, which to me makes it seem even less likely. He's shown over the course of the series that he's not very good at planning ahead and I really don't think he's a good enough actor to pull off the scene with Jesse the way he did if he actually had.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
There was a clip from the guy who plays Gus that if you watched it would lead you to believe that Walt was the likely culprit as the actor explains the motivations behind his character Gus and how he didn't know that the kid was poisoned

Of course it could be Tyrus, but there is only 1.5 more days till we find out for sure. But just looking at they way everything is being foreshadowed, I think that Walt is likely the one who poisoned the boy.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
I liked American Horror Story as well. It should be good the way everything is connected and mysterious and individualized.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »
Pics or it isn't true :P: : :

And when I say hot, I not just talking looks, but actions. She is a slutty maid.

Spoiler from same scene....
http://i56.tinypic.com/riw2ur.jpg
^"cold shower"/"thinking about baseball"/"sobering" moment

This reminds me very much of a scene from the first season of Misfits. But both fortunately and unfortunately you get to see a lot more of both sides of that transformation in that example though.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 09, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 09, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
No. this is for Breaking Bad fans :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »
I watched the entire 1st season of The Walking Dead yesterday on Netflix.

As of Thursday, I'm caught up on all of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on DVD.

I have Louie on DVD as well. I'll probably start that this week.