Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199058 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1600 on: September 30, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
Person of Interest: 7/10

It's been a long time since I was interested in any sort of cop drama, but what makes this one interesting is that the main guys are neither cops nor government agents, but 'merely' concerned citizens, one of whom has access to a 'big brother' machine being used by the government to prevent another 9/11 but that can also pick out violent crimes that are likely to happen as well. What's holding me back is that I was a little disappointed in the acting from the guy from Lost. I don't know if it's his tone of voice, lack of inflections, or what, but something about the way he talks seems not only false, but is somewhat annoying. I'm trying to accept it as just the way his character talks, but it's hard.

Playboy Club: 2/10
I'm giving it a 2 because of the boobage, but otherwise absolutely terrible. I literally disliked everything about it; the acting, cinematography, story, and execution. The concept is good I suppose, but it just did nothing for me.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 03, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
Last night's Breaking Bad (Season 4, Episode 12): Holy ****/10

That ending was incredibly intense, and I can't wait to see what they have in store in next week's season finale. The question floating around the internet, though, is whether Gus actually poisoned Brock, or was it Walt. I've seen some pretty detailed theories arguing for the latter, and it doesn't conflict with the episode, but I still don't believe it. Vince Gilligan confirmed that it will be revealed next week, though, so we'll know one way or the other come Sunday.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 03, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
Eon Kid Ep: 1-9

If you like Avatar the Last Airbender and have some time to kill with Netflix.  I would watch some of this you may like it.  Warning Ep. 6 is in the 9th spot on Netflix for some reason.  My son is enjoying the series and I am too.  Its an animated cartoon... Well I'll just link the Title it pretty much sums it up.

Though thats just what the story is suppose to be.  In reality theres about 3 or 4 different storylines that are going an at any given time.  Its surprisingly complex in a way and the universe is thought out so far.  The series is 26 episodes and if it continues how I think it will I think that it will be an enjoyable ride.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »

Last night's Breaking Bad (Season 4, Episode 12): Holy ****/10

That ending was incredibly intense, and I can't wait to see what they have in store in next week's season finale. The question floating around the internet, though, is whether Gus actually poisoned Brock, or was it Walt. I've seen some pretty detailed theories arguing for the latter, and it doesn't conflict with the episode, but I still don't believe it. Vince Gilligan confirmed that it will be revealed next week, though, so we'll know one way or the other come Sunday.

The theory I subscribe to at the moment is that Walt had Saul's Bodyguard swap the cig pack off of Jesse, and that was the real reason for the urgent meeting. Walt then brewed up a non lethal poison that would simulate some of the ricin symptoms in a much quicker than ricin. Since Saul is the one that regularly visits the girl and her son, he slipped it to the son somehow.
Knowing that Jesse would realize that the cig was gone, he would automatically assume that since only him and Mr. White were the only 2 that knew about it, it had to have been Walt that took it and gave it to the kid.
Walt knowing that Jesse would come to him had already concocted a story to over sell Gus as the mastermind behind it all and he oversold it perfectly while playing to Jessie over flowing emotions.
Jesse played right into Walt's hands and the team-up is back.

Gus having come to the realization that something isn't right as he got back to his car, stops to think.... "how did the kid get poisoned... if I didn't do it... then it must have been Walt... but Jesse is probably thinking that I did it and that's why he called me here.... it must be some sort of set-up"
so Gus heads back into the hospital to find out if the kid is really poisoned, what kind of poisoning and how they found out about it.

but it will be a long week waiting to find out.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 04, 2011, 05:11:09 AM »
The Family Guy / American Dad / Cleveland Show crossover?

It wasn't a crossover at all. Just a central theme running through each episode (the hurricane itself) resulting in 30 seconds of crossover their houses are NEXT TO EACH OTHER? for no actual reason.

I thought they were actually going to merge the three episodes together and have a 90 minute special where the cast of all three were in one place. Stewie and Roger together would have been a riot, but we got this instead.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »
Those shows are pretty good at trolling their audience.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Those shows are pretty good at trolling their audience.

Irritatingly yes. Furthermore, who turned the acid trip on Family Guy down?

It's been gradually getting slower and slower in pace and energy since PTV in season 4 *6 years ago* (which is still the absolute peak of the series), and now we get a "very special episode" in which the plotline which causes Stewie to even say that to start with is a b-plot to another one which itself hits the reset button at the end of the episode.
Ain't there meant to be a hurricane going on?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 04, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »
Doctor Who - The Wedding of River Song.

MEGATONS!

Did they just effectively reboot the series? Moffat has BALLS for attempting this.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 04, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Homeland

It's a show about terrorists from the producers of 24. I thought the show was good and interesting, until I saw the "This season on Homeland" after the episode. The problem their facing now seems like it's going to be the issue for the whole season which will be lame because it's barely scratching the surface of what I thought/hoped the show was going to be about. This show is on Showtime, and there was a mini-series called Sleeper Cell that I hoped this show would emulate in some way, and while the first episode did whet my appetite, I thought this initial story would be a one or two episode arc.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 04, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »

MEGATONS!

Did they just effectively reboot the series? Moffat has BALLS for attempting this.
No.

They Rebooted the stinking Universe and didn't really reboot the series.  I really don't see this move as very risky at all.  You could pretty much see that coming.  Still a cool episode though.

I personally think that "The Doctor's Wife" and Episode 12 of this season was riskier then the this one.  Especially "The Doctor's Wife" because its effect will probably last the longest.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

MEGATONS!

No.

They Rebooted the stinking Universe and didn't really reboot the series.  I really don't see this move as very risky at all.  You could pretty much see that coming.  Still a cool episode though.

I personally think that "The Doctor's Wife" and Episode 12 of this season was riskier then the this one.  Especially "The Doctor's Wife" because its effect will probably last the longest.

I consider it a reboot because:

The name Doctor Who is now linked to the show's core itself. Answer that question and the show ultimately ends.
By still going through with his death they can change the angle in which the Doctor goes about things, meaning he could go "black ops" or anything less obvious.

The potential to go off in any direction now is huge.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 04, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
I saw Homeland too, but it was the censored web only version 2 weeks ago.

It grabbed my attention, and I have gotten the uncensored version to watch later.
Gotta finish weeding out all the new show this season.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »

Agreed. That was a great episode anyway.

I haven't been very fond of the River Song metaplot since the beginning. She became overused after two or three episodes, several seasons back. I was only further disappointed when The Wedding of River Song amounted to little more than a season long cop out.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1613 on: October 04, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
After last night's Terrra Nova (the 2nd episode), I'll be removing it from my DVR queue. The show is just awful, with an absolute disregard for accurate portrayals of prehistoric animals. Have you ever heard of flesh-eating rhamphorhynchoids? Neither have I.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »

Agreed. That was a great episode anyway.

I haven't been very fond of the River Song metaplot since the beginning. She became overused after two or three episodes, several seasons back. I was only further disappointed when The Wedding of River Song amounted to little more than a season long cop out.
I go both ways.
I think the River Song Plot was way too drawn out to have a resolution (Dr. Who has set the precedents of not resolving long going plot points before.  Also where is his daughter from that one episode.)
Though I think River Song should have been more of a driving force in a more condensed timeframe.  Including episodes were she is the companion for all intents and purposes.

After last night's Terrra Nova (the 2nd episode), I'll be removing it from my DVR queue. The show is just awful, with an absolute disregard for accurate portrayals of prehistoric animals. Have you ever heard of flesh-eating rhamphorhynchoids? Neither have I.
1 out of 1 Dinosaur Expert agree that Terra Nova Needs a Dinosaur Expert.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
I haven't seen the 2nd episode of Terra Nova yet, but I think faithfulness to science went out in the very first episode.  There are SO many questions I have about how communication works back-and-forth with the Alternate Future, given that they've stated the wormhole/singularity/time machine/deus ex machina is a one-way trip. That said, this is a parallel universe and timeline, so who's to say these creatures couldn't have existed?  At this point, I'm treating that show like a new incarnation of Sliders given how random that show is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 04, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
I haven't seen the 2nd episode of Terra Nova yet, but I think faithfulness to science went out in the very first episode.  There are SO many questions I have about how communication works back-and-forth with the Alternate Future, given that they've stated the wormhole/singularity/time machine/deus ex machina is a one-way trip. That said, this is a parallel universe and timeline, so who's to say these creatures couldn't have existed?  At this point, I'm treating that show like a new incarnation of Sliders given how random that show is.

The communication is one way as well, they've never said anything about sending information back to the future. At least not that I picked up on, because I have been looking for such an inconsistency since they first mentioned it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 04, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Well, I had a long post written out here detailing how awesome last night's Season 3 finale to Warehouse 13 was, but it was lost in a random Backspace press.  Damn it.

Suffice it to say, the Warehouse 13 writers have a nasty habit of building-up to an epic game-changing event, and then taking the easy way out and leaving matters on an unsatisfactory note.  That doesn't seem to be the case this time, as there are several major character and story events that happen in this finale that could have major lasting impact on the series moving forward.  The last few minutes of the finale were oddly poignant and beautifully-handled.

I have my fears about the ending, though, where there's a callback to a moment way back in Season 2 that could give the writers an easy out from what they've done in this finale.  I hope they don't take the easy way out and undo what has happened with these characters.  Like Alphas, I'm really looking forward to Warehouse 13's return next Summer.  The show has really come into its own this season.  If you haven't had a chance to catch this series so far, you have a year to catch-up.  I hope you do because this show has been consistently entertaining, and now it's looking like it may be taking that final step to being a great show.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 04, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
Also where is his daughter from that one episode.

I've been wondering that for a very long time. I don't think that Moffat necessarily wants to ties into anything that came "before him" though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 04, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
The communication is one way as well, they've never said anything about sending information back to the future. At least not that I picked up on, because I have been looking for such an inconsistency since they first mentioned it.

There's just something that really bothers me about how Terra Nova began.  They show this robotic probe that they sent through the vortex, but they were never able to find later on because it appeared in an alternate dimension.  So how did they know they could send people through it, and once people were on the other side how were they able to tell people in the Alternate Future that they were establishing a camp and that they could send people through?

For that matter, how does the Alternate Future know it can send more people through, that the camp isn't filled to capacity or that everyone's not dead?  How do they even know what Terra Nova IS if no one can cross back and communication only works one way?  And how did Taylor know that our main character was in prison before he arrived on Terra Nova?  Was that just information periodically sent over, despite it having no real value to them?  The setup of this show cannot function in a believable manner without 2-way communication, IMO.

Also, given that you'd think communication with people in this camp as they explored the terrain would be a big deal, you'd think they'd have launched a communication satellite or something to make that possible, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

There's another interesting plot quirk created by Taylor in the pilot.  He said that when he crossed over with his team, he was the first one through and he was on his own for 180 days before the next member of his team arrived and so on.  So does that mean that our main family arrived one-by-one on Terra Nova with a 180 day window between arrivals?

Just so many questions.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:42:52 PM by broodwars »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: October 04, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
I always thought that they were going to spin off the Doctors Daughter. It also serves as an "out" when the Doctor finally runs out of lives.

This bloody annoying episode lag is driving me nuts. I am up to a month behind. Do they want me to pirate and get it in HD to boot?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

The head of the science department said that he put in a request for The Lady Doctor to get transferred to Terra Nova, so there has to be some sort of data flow between the portal'd worlds.

I have never even heard of a rambunctahrianeruedkj or whatever you just said, so I don't think that is the biggest problem with this show.

There's just something that really bothers me about how Terra Nova began.  They show this robotic probe that they sent through the vortex, but they were never able to find later on because it appeared in an alternate dimension.  So how did they know they could send people through it, and once people were on the other side how were they able to tell people in the Alternate Future that they were establishing a camp and that they could send people through?
I came to the same thoughts earlier today when I tried to explain the premise of the show and events of the 1st episode to my girl.... I started to realize that some things didn't really make any sense.

For that matter, how does the Alternate Future know it can send more people through, that the camp isn't filled to capacity or that everyone's not dead?  How do they even know what Terra Nova IS if no one can cross back and communication only works one way?  And how did Taylor know that our main character was in prison before he arrived on Terra Nova?  Was that just information periodically sent over, despite it having no real value to them?  The setup of this show cannot function in a believable manner without 2-way communication, IMO.

Also, given that you'd think communication with people in this camp as they explored the terrain would be a big deal, you'd think they'd have launched a communication satellite or something to make that possible, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

There's another interesting plot quirk created by Taylor in the pilot.  He said that when he crossed over with his team, he was the first one through and he was on his own for 180 days before the next member of his team arrived and so on.  So does that mean that our main family arrived one-by-one on Terra Nova with a 180 day window between arrivals?

Just so many questions.

My guess is that they have a data cable running through the portal. That is the only way it makes any sense at this point. And because of this constant flow of data back and forth, they have tweaked the portal to do more instant transfers and no more "lost in time" sequences where people arrive months before someone else that went through at the same time as them.

Of course I'm sure I just put more thought into it than the show runners over there at Fox.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 04, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »
Broodwars asks so many good questions; the fact that they spent the second episode on a (killer?) bird infestation instead of trying to answer them isn't very promising.

Which may make it good MFT potential \o/
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: October 04, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
Incidentally, was anyone else getting a good laugh out of everyone drinking that Blue Milk in the pilot?  The Jurassic Park/Blade Runner/etc. jokes you can make while watching this show are bad enough, but did they really want to give us Star Wars ones we could make, too?   ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:49:23 PM by broodwars »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
I was under the impression that the science guy put in the request for his team before leaving, but then again, I don't know how long they've been there. There have been 10 pilgrimages, and they have been in Terra Nova for 10 years, so that's 1 a year if that's the logic. If they only do one a year, and the doctor put in his request before leaving, it would make sense that her departure was delayed due to other getting in first.

As for the unknown species, that could be chalked up to one of two things; 1. their bones didn't survive the eons that passed between them and humanity or 2. they only exist in the separate time stream.

With the beacon and sending people through, they could very well just be guessing. The future is overcrowed and polluted, so if they can send thousands of people of away with a premise of a better future, so be it, even if in reality it means their deaths.

As for the doctor knowing about the jail time, again, that happened over the course of years. I forget now how long they said he was in jail, but it was a few years.

They have some means of steady communication, and judging by the distances they can communicate over, I would say that it is a satellite.

With the family, no they did not arrive 180 apart, rather during the first transfer they didn't realize there would be any delay, or they weren't using enough power, but then that would beg the question why change procedure if they didn't know anything was wrong?

What bothers me is that one of those bird things flew into the weather balloon. I don't think they fly satellite high, but they definitely fly higher than birds.