Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198902 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1500 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:54 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 23, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
Of course I'll probably have watched all those episodes before the DVDs arrive, but they'll still be nice to have.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
Of course I'll probably have watched all those episodes before the DVDs arrive, but they'll still be nice to have.
LOL +1

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Underbelly: Razor 7.8/10

Fourth season of an Australian show that I find fantastic. But so far not so much. I'm not sure how I feel about the premise, and they've already announced the death of my favorite character so far. But I'm going to keep watching because some things look good, but as with the other seasons, there are multiple story arcs. In the past seasons they've always chosen the best story lines to follow, but I don't feel that way about the first two episodes.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »
Deadliest Warrior

I want to be on this show. Great guns, great martial arts, great history, great narrator.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 28, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »
I recently finished two animated TV series (+ 1 TV movie), one relatively old and obscure anime and one American show that for me is very nostalgic:

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest - I've been rewatching this show off and on for a few months now, but now that I've finally finished it I can say the show holds up pretty well after all these years.  Man, that remixed and symphonic Jonny Quest theme song still kicks ass, and the writing in many of the episodes is pretty good.  The show does a good job overall of telling compelling adventure stories.

Unfortunately, there are really two big sticking points with me rewatching this series.  The first is that the laughably poorly-animated (even for its time) "Quest World" segments don't hold up at all.  The entire concept of this VR world being tied into just about everything is goofy enough, but besides looking extremely bad it's also pretty badly shoe-horned into quite a few stories that would have been better off without it.  The other major problem is that the show received a major overhaul between the first and second "seasons" of the show.  The entire voice cast was replaced (for the worse, IMO), characters were redesigned, and the stories were made more "fantastic" and crazy (with some tie-ins to the original 1960s Jonny Quest series).  Part of the charm to me of the earlier episodes is that while they were very pulp adventure-y, they also felt relatively believable.  By going to some really Sci-Fi/fantasy extremes in the second season, I thought the show lost some of its intrigue and became a little too goofy.  They also replaced most of the poorly-animated CG Quest World segments with even more poorly-animated 2D Quest World segments. 1 Step Forward, 3 steps back. That's Hanna-Barbara for you, but this is still an entertaining show after all these years that holds up well overall.

I also recently had a chance to check out the Jonny Quest TV movie for the original 60s series Jonny's Golden Quest, and while there are some goofy moments here and there (mostly with the script constantly trying to hook up 12-year olds Jonny and Jessie) the movie is both surprisingly dark and a very entertaining watch.  Just to give you an idea how dark this movie can go, at least one major character dies in this movie (with major emotional repercussions slowly worked out on-screen) and multiple times throughout the movie you see people dissolve (ala acid) down to the skeletal level on-screen.  As the Nostalgia Critic would say, "You know, FOR KIDS!"  The movie feels grounded in some form of believable world, it moves with a steady and exciting pace, and for a Hanna-Barbara work it's very well animated.  Hell, it's probably better animated than the Real Adventures of Jonny Quest was.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:28:51 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 28, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
That last post was pretty long, even by my standards, so I decided to break it up into two posts for easier reading.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, a few years back, I heard some very good things about an underselling but supposedly excellent anime called Planetes.  Having finished it, I think the show is overhyped but it's still a decent watch.  I'm actually surprised Johnny Metts hasn't said anything about it, because the show was pretty much made just for him.  It's a Science Fiction show that takes place in 2075, following a team of astronauts as they go about their daily lives in space.  In this story, the space around the Earth has become so polluted by various debris from man's exploits in space that they have to send people out to collect it before it collides with things like space shuttles and kills people.  Yep, our heroes are outer space garbage men.

Surprisingly, the premise of the show turns out to be fairly compelling, the characters are likeable enough, and the show tries its best to follow actual physics and laws of science.  For example, there is no sound in space, and characters move with believable momentum in space.  Where the show runs into a snag is that towards the end, half the cast turn in unlikeable jackasses.  That's somewhat rectified by the end (with a full two episode epilogue), but it's a case of too little too late.  This is also a very "slice of life" show, so if you're expecting an epic story there simply isn't one there.  Also, I have to take issue with how the show treats women on the show.  With one lone exception (that being the team's captain, who is an awesome character), if you're a woman on this show you're either chasing after a guy or psychotic.  And, naturally, despite the show using "new recruit" Tanabe appearing early on to be the show's main character and avatar for the audience, she's almost completely thrown off the show by the halfway point.  *sigh* Naturally, the character who takes over the story for most of the show is your dime-a-dozen angsty, short-tempered Japanese boy.  And yeah, he's one of the jackasses towards the end of the show.  Hooray for Japan's Institutional Sexism!

Still, for all its problems, Planetes is still the sort of anime you'd never see made today.  It brings up real issues mankind will face going into space, its setting is a little preposterous but believable, and most of the cast is fairly old by anime standards (meaning 30 or older).  The standalone episodes can be quite enjoyable, even if the overarching plot is lackluster.  And despite the show being made by Sunrise, the animation is pretty decent even if the show's overall look is pretty bland.  Check it out if you're interested in some hard-ish Science Fiction.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:40:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
Doctor Who - Lets Kill Hitler:

Trying to explain the confusing mess of River Song and how she becomes to be her was already difficult enough but this knocked it out of the park. The fact that the episode managed to present itself so cleverly, explain River, introduce some more questions to the season arc AND throw in several paradoxes (with all of it making sense) should be a measure to how good Steven Moffat is.

If Lost answered things like this especially with the time travel element in season 4/5 it would be getting universal praise.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 31, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
Hey, I thought the 5th season of lost was the best of the series.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
I need to acquire that Dr. Who episode.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »
X-Files Season 7 - disappointing

Such a downgrade from earlier seasons.
I think it's very obvious that they were running out of ideas because I'm a little past halfway in the season and practically every episode has been some silly slapstick filler episode that is seriously making me feel like I'm never gonna get to the last 2 seasons. Duchovny even seems like he is just dialing it in for most of this season, and with the material that was being produced at the time, I don't blame him.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 31, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »

Such a downgrade from earlier seasons.
I think it's very obvious that they were running out of ideas because I'm a little past halfway in the season and practically every episode has been some silly slapstick filler episode that is seriously making me feel like I'm never gonna get to the last 2 seasons. Duchovny even seems like he is just dialing it in for most of this season, and with the material that was being produced at the time, I don't blame him.
If you like the original X-File Seasons with new cases each episode you have to wade through all this conspiracy drama junk and it gets back to it when Duchovny is gone.  If memory serves where your at I couldn't stand it either.  Made me stop watching the show then I saw the more back to the roots type episodes in the last few seasons.

Though by that point The Lone Gunman was a better show.  Its been over 10 years so my memory might be fuzzy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
The last episode I watched was with two sets of twins that would cause rage when they were in each others presence and the ground to shake and glass to shatter. Moulder got sucked into a man hole and the whole episodes was rather cheezy.
The one before that was about hollywood and I've been dragging through this season very slowly as it's all rather uninteresting with cheezy plots and effects and dialed in acting. I've burned through the previous 6 seasons, but I've been on this season for about a month now.

If Duchovny left before next season started, I can see why. The show has been at a low for the last 14-18 episodes and you can really tell he's not into any more.... and I'm not either.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
hahahahaha

I don't normally post here since I don't watch a lot of tv, but the newest Futurama is on and the Modern FPS parody was priceless!

video game titled "World War II 3" ha!

so was the psychedelic black light Hypnotoad poster in the bedroom. I swear sometimes those small visual gags that go unnoticed are the funniest parts of the episodes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:03:07 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 01, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »

Tell me about it. :(

For me, the thing that really started to kill the show was the increasing focus on the metaplot. I much preferred the monster-of-the-week format for the most part.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: September 02, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »

Tell me about it. :(

For me, the thing that really started to kill the show was the increasing focus on the metaplot. I much preferred the monster-of-the-week format for the most part.
Same here.

My Son found my JLU DVD's.  With Batman and Superman on them he wanted to watch them.   The lesson of the day: 3 Year olds are not old enough to watch multi-hero awesomeness.  He kept wanting to get to Superman.  Guess I'll just stick to the old Cartoon on Netflix... Wish they had the newer Superman cartoon that was the precursor to JLU... and Batman the Animated Series all on streaming.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
While I was gone I watched a lot of Breaking Bad. I've watched through the first episode of season 4 (the current season), and now I can safely say that this is easily the best show on TV right now.

Also, now that UncleBob guilted me into buying the DVDs, the first three seasons of Breaking Bad are on Netflix Streaming starting today. If you haven't watched the show, rectify that immediately.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 11, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Speed Grapher - I finished watching the show a few days ago, waiting to talk about it until I've mulled it over for a few days.  Honestly, I'm still not sure if I liked this show or not, because while there was entertainment to be had I can't even begin to count the number of things in this show that should make me hate it.  It's a Gonzo show from around the point where the beloved animation studio began their Fall from Grace, but if you didn't see the Gonzo logo you wouldn't know they made it.  The character designs are very simple; the coloring is very flat; and the animation is as bad as you can get without resorting to still frame camera pans.  Gonzo was once what Madhouse is now: a studio known for awesome animation even if their scripts could be sometimes iffy.  Seeing a product like this from them now just saddens me, though not nearly as much as watching some of their most recent work.

There is something both very appealing and yet repulsive about the tone and characterization in the series, as it's very Noir.  It's a show about human decadence: almost every character in the show (including to some extent the main character, former war photographer Saiga) is a despicable human being.  And man does this show like to show you that.  Sexual deviance, serial fetish-related murder, rape, child molestation, financial ruination, political corruption, flagrant abuse of police power...this show has its perverse base covered pretty thoroughly.  Because this ends up being a show about how money and obsessions inevitably destroy people (in often comically exaggerated ways, such as a man who loves music turning into a walking boombox that kills people with sonic vibrations), that didn't bother me as much as it probably would otherwise but it comes just short at times of becoming a snuff film.

For all its pretensions, however, Speed Grapher is a very simple show: guy discovers decadent secret society, finds girl with strange power, gets a strange power, fights dudes, escapes with girl, and the society sends people with strange powers to kill guy and recapture girl.  There are some wrinkles here and there (some work, some don't) and the show takes a pretty drastic hook at a "message" towards the end, but for the most part it's just a dude with the ability to kill people with his camera fighting all sorts of obsession-empowered superhumans.  I would like to really commend the writers for the series' main villain, though.  He is very well-written, perhaps one of the best I've seen in anime.  His motivations are simple and his plan actually makes sense, and in a great twist he actually achieves pretty much everything he wanted.

There is one thing I've been putting off, though, that really bears mentioning because it's a very icky subject this show dabbles in: however much the series tries to dance around this, the main character is a 30  year-old man who falls into a mutual relationship with a 15-year old girl.  Like the rest of the show, the writers managed to deflect a lot of the "icky"-ness by re-framing the relationship in other forms like "Father-Surrogate Daughter" and others (to avoid spoiling too much) and there never is anything physical shown or even hinted at on-screen.  At the end of the day, though, it's still a romantic relationship between a 15-year old girl and a guy probably literally twice her age.  That's probably a big issue for most people, and I wish the writers didn't bring it to that.  At least they handled it with much more class than you would expect from anime.

Speed Grapher is a hard anime to recommend.  I really feel like I shouldn't like this series, and maybe it was just the case of the right kind of show at the right time.  There are certainly worse shows out there, and it's entertaining enough and thought-provoking at times.  I didn't feel B.S.-ed by the ending, and that's certainly rare with anime.  That said, Gonzo has produced far better and far, far, FAR better-looking shows than this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:20:31 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »
While I was gone I watched a lot of Breaking Bad. I've watched through the first episode of season 4 (the current season), and now I can safely say that this is easily the best show on TV. right now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »
The Wire is still better. I will say, though, that if it continues on as great as it's been and ends satisfyingly it will probably take that crown.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
Just finished up watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. Talk about boooooring.

I generally liked the original show, even if it was always campy and too-often-than-not overly dramatic. I really liked Children of the Earth and was hoping for that same level of quality from this mini-series/season. What we got was a very interesting premise and some great world building, but nothing more. The show just kind of crawled along the entire time without anything happening, then in the very last episode, tossed out some half-assed conclusion. This season sucked, and I'm inclined to put at least some of the blame on the shoulders of Starz. A lot of the action and storytelling definitely had an "American" feel to it. Still, I can't imagine this particular story could have been told any better without trashing everything but the initial premise (which is very interesting and well thought out).

John de Lancie should have been in every episode. Him and Lauren Ambrose had the only real interesting characters, even above Jack and Gwen... who both seemed incredibly out-of-chracter at times.

Oh well. I suppose the show had a decent enough run, especially for a spin-off. With that in mind, the continuation of this season's Doctor Who started up a few weeks ago. The last two episodes have been pretty good. I'm sure they'll go back to all that boring River Pond crap at the end of the season, but until then, I'm enjoying the one-off episodes.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1521 on: September 11, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
Also, now that UncleBob guilted me into buying the DVDs, the first three seasons of Breaking Bad are on Netflix Streaming starting today. If you haven't watched the show, rectify that immediately.

Yay, awesome. Netflix is getting some damn good TV lately... Mad Men, Friday Night Lights and now this. I'm in season 1 of Friday Night Lights now and it's great, but I'll hit Breaking Bad next probably.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 11, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Just finished up watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. Talk about boooooring.

I generally liked the original show, even if it was always campy and too-often-than-not overly dramatic. I really liked Children of the Earth and was hoping for that same level of quality from this mini-series/season. What we got was a very interesting premise and some great world building, but nothing more. The show just kind of crawled along the entire time without anything happening, then in the very last episode, tossed out some half-assed conclusion. This season sucked, and I'm inclined to put at least some of the blame on the shoulders of Starz. A lot of the action and storytelling definitely had an "American" feel to it. Still, I can't imagine this particular story could have been told any better without trashing everything but the initial premise (which is very interesting and well thought out).

John de Lancie should have been in every episode. Him and Lauren Ambrose had the only real interesting characters, even above Jack and Gwen... who both seemed incredibly out-of-chracter at times.

Oh well. I suppose the show had a decent enough run, especially for a spin-off. With that in mind, the continuation of this season's Doctor Who started up a few weeks ago. The last two episodes have been pretty good. I'm sure they'll go back to all that boring River Pond crap at the end of the season, but until then, I'm enjoying the one-off episodes.

I was disappointed with Torchwood as well. IT would have done better if this season was 7 episodes maximum. Starz definitely should take blame for this given how there was more explosions, less aliens, less connection to Doctor Who how did any of this happen when Amy/Rory were back on earth around the time? and almost no reference to anything in seasons 1-3. The season should have been american money and american production capabilities to a british-written/directed show and nothing more.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 12, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
True Blood Season Finale was pretty good last night if you ignore most scenes with Sookie in them.

Some big changes happened which should lead to something more interesting next season than this season

finale spoilers:

-Jesus (Lafayettes BF) is dead and had passed his Brujo magic onto Lafayette thanks to a possession of Laf by Marnie
-Ugly waitress from the diner has improved her magic and helped summon the dead from their graves to rid Lafayette of Marnies possession
-Debbie (stupid werewolf chick) blasted Tara's brains out with a shot gun when she intended to shoot Sookie instead. Not sure why she didn't just rip her to shreds in wolf form instead though.
-In return, Sookie used that same shotgun and blasted Debbie in the face point blank.
-Vamp hating priest from that Church cult Jason joined is back.... and he is a Vamp now.
Oh, and he is standing on Jason's porch with his fangs out.
-Someone freed Russel Edgington from his concrete grave
-Bill and Eric killed their ex-representative from the Vampire Hierarchy (I forget what it's called) as she threatened sookies life while also delivering news of a Vampire rebellion against the powers that be (I assume Russel was freed due to this rebellion)
-Jessica got butt booty naked with J. Stackhouse on the couch. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you might be able to convince yourself you saw a nip.
-I almost forgot, The redhead waitress' dead serial killer husband came back to deliver a message about her new husband... gave warning for her to get away from him ASAP because his past is resurfacing and it will be trouble.

and my speculation is that Tara will be back. Not like Jesus who will be appearing to Lafayette in ghost form to coach him through magic and Brujo powers, but I think Tara will either be turned to a Vamp or even worse, she may be the shows very first zombie.

Either way, long wait till next summer to find out. There should be lots of Vampire Politics next season
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:13:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 12, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
I watched the finale as well and this was the best episode in the season. Why? Because it killed so many people I hated....though I wish it was Sookie who got blasted. I really really really hate her. Her and her damn romances are revoltingly cheesy.

I think this show is retarded though. It's a shame because it could actually be pretty awesome. Every time I see the beginning song/title clip, I always think that if it were filmed in that light, with that grainy realism, it would be far more interesting than this neo-soap opera bullshit. Not like a documentary, but in a real town with more than 15 people, a government, a vampire mob, the religious right, conspiracy theorists, and a werewolf counter culture. It could be like Boardwalk Empire but with booze replaced with "V".

But instead, they decide to make it more about 30-something year old actors fucking each other on screen while thin plot lines reach their predictable conclusions. And every time someone needs a new romance, it's one of two characters, like a revolving door, fucking every character in the damn show. Even when this show was good, it was never anything more special than a fun popcorn-eating romp.

If they happen to bring out Zombies, I'll probably watch it due to my love for Zombies, but if not I won't be watching it next summer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:08:20 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports