Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199056 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1400 on: July 19, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
Finished Trigun, and yeah it's still a fantastic series, though I am a little less fond of the writing in the standalone stories now than I was when I first watched the series.  Vash the Stampede and Wolfwood are still two of the best-realized characters in anime IMO, and the animation is better than I remembered (though I still think the series would have looked much better if the colors were richer than they were).  Next up, I think I'm going to go back and re-watch one of the more "fun" series in my collection (and likely one none of you have actually seen): the original Gatekeepers anime, a series so unbelievably (but intentionally) goofy that it's hard not to have a good time with.  I may re-watch its anime companion in crime as well: Vandread.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 19, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
I need to watch Gatekeepers I watched/have the others.

Just finished watching wants on Netflix of Avenger: Earth's Mightiest Heroes  Believe that is right.  I really enjoyed it.  The writers did a very good job of tieing every episode in together.  Their would be items that happened in earlier episodes that would be reflected in later.  Their be slight teaser of the things to come that were organically part of the end.  Really well done series.  Actually remind me on how well Iron man Armored adventures first season was.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:35:27 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »

Just finished watching wants on Netflix of Avenger: Worlds Greatest Heroes  Believe that is right.  I really enjoyed it.  The writers did a very good job of tieing every episode in together.  Their would be items that happened in earlier episodes that would be reflected in later.  Their be slight teaser of the things to come that were organically part of the end.  Really well done series.  Actually remind me on how well Iron man Armored adventures first season was.

Just so you know, Iron man: Armored Adventures is airing its second season right now.  They just started last Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST on Nickelodeon.

And yeah, while I was very lukewarm on Avengers: EMH at the outset, it gradually grew to be a really entertaining animated series.  Amusingly, its DC counterpart, Young Justice, got off on shaky footing; lasted for only 9 episodes; and then went on hiatus until next year.  -_-'

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »

Just finished watching wants on Netflix of Avenger: Worlds Greatest Heroes  Believe that is right.  I really enjoyed it.  The writers did a very good job of tieing every episode in together.  Their would be items that happened in earlier episodes that would be reflected in later.  Their be slight teaser of the things to come that were organically part of the end.  Really well done series.  Actually remind me on how well Iron man Armored adventures first season was.

Just so you know, Iron man: Armored Adventures is airing its second season right now.  They just started last Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST on Nickelodeon.

And yeah, while I was very lukewarm on Avengers: EMH at the outset, it gradually grew to be a really entertaining animated series.  Amusingly, its DC counterpart, Young Justice, got off on shaky footing; lasted for only 9 episodes; and then went on hiatus until next year.  -_-'
But you can just go back and Watch Justice League, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, etc for DC.  They had a good run relatively recently.  Spectacular Spider-Man was good on Marvel side.  Iron Man... But I really can't think of anything else more recently.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1404 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
They just started last Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST on Nickelodeon.

Minor correction: it airs on Nicktoons, not Nickelodeon (two different channels, I get Nickelodeon only). I don't like the whole idea of the new Iron Man cartoon because it doesn't fit into the Iron Man character at all (at least some superheroes like Spider-Man and Superman actually had their powers as a teen).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 19, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »

Minor correction: it airs on Nicktoons, not Nickelodeon (two different channels, I get Nickelodeon only). I don't like the whole idea of the new Iron Man cartoon because it doesn't fit into the Iron Man character at all (at least some superheroes like Spider-Man and Superman actually had their powers as a teen).

Wow, those are two separate channels now?  Man, I remember when "Nick Toons" were just cartoons that ran on Nickelodeon...Well, I hope that the new Avatar: Last Airbender series doesn't air on Nicktoons as well, then, because I don't think I get that channel either.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1406 on: July 19, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Well, the cartoons on Nickelodeon are still called Nicktoons, but it's also its own channel now. The Nicktoons channel is all cartoons and includes one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows (Rocko's Modern Life). Dragon Ball Z Kai also airs on it.

Brood, right now the plan is for The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra to air on Nickelodeon first.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

I was with you when I started watching the series with my son but, with how young he is its more appropriate and the side-stories after the first few starts to grow on you.  The main story is still hokey.  After watching the full first season, its still Iron Man just minus the Pre-Iron man adult phase that gives him his edgy adult problems that you couldn't explore in a show geared to a non-adult demographic anyways.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:14 AM »
I finished Gatekeepers, and to my delight the show still holds up remarkably well, though there are certainly a few episodes in the 24-episode series that just don't work.  This show hails from what I consider the Golden Age of Gonzo animation, back when Gonzo was known for excellent animation (including surprisingly good 3D model integration), as well as taking familiar concepts and putting their own unique spin on them.  Gatekeepers has a really simple premise: a bunch of kids with superpowers (which are triggered by opening portals to other dimensions known as "gates") band together to destroy the assholes of the world, who in turn can throw on goofy Black Sunglasses to turn into alien Men-in-Black.  Naturally, these Men-in-Black can fuse together to form such intimidating forms as giant balls, evil Big Boy statues, chunks of freeway, giant Japanese lanterns, 50-foot werewolves, etc.  And did I forget the giant mecha controlled via car steering wheels, stick-shifts, and gas pedals?  Perhaps I forgot the 1950s B-Movie Big-headed Alien and Alien Nazi who goes around shouting "Hail Vader!"

Yeah, this is one goofy series, and I've barely even touched on the sheer amount of awesome silliness in it.  This show is just pure fun: stupid, silly, intentionally cheesy, hopelessly optimistic fun.  It's a show that very carefully straddles the line between being a fairly sincere "Sailor Moon"-esque series and being an outright parody of it (in much the same way that Martian Successor Nadesico and Vandread play off of the Space Odyssey genre), and it's a show that's often willing to make fun of itself if there's a good laugh to be had (and there are good laughs to be had).  The cast is enjoyable, the (excellent) dub has probably every notable English voice actor in 90s/early 2000s anime, the animation has (for the most part) aged very well, and the story does a pretty decent job of balancing between plot-important episodes and stand-alones as it heads towards a better conclusion than most anime get these days.  It's not a show for everyone, as you're either going to love the optimistic and bombastic (but sincere) style the show is going for or you aren't.  I could nit-pick it to death by harping on the shallow characters, the occasional terrible writing, and all the repeated stock footage/music cues, but honestly this show isn't about any "deeper meaning" or "complex characters".  It's about having fun, and I don't see the point in criticizing it for what it's clearly not trying to be.  I highly recommend the show for the experience it is, especially if you liked some of the other shows I named and anime like Godannar; Gravion; and Gurren Lagann.

The show has long since been out of print on DVD (and I doubt that Funimation will license-rescue it), but I know Netflix carries it and here's a streaming link from a site with the dub if you want to check it out.

A word of warning, though: this show did get a sequel OVA series named Gatekeepers 21, and I HIGHLY suggest you avoid it like the plague.  It is an evil, hateful series that goes out of its way to destroy anything you may have liked about the first series.  I have only seen one other P.o.S. anime sequel that matches it in sheer loathing for its source material, and that's the Martian Successor Nadesico movie Prince of Darkness.  If you've seen that, you might understand what I mean: excessively dark, depressing, takes glee in the wanton character assassination of beloved characters, betrays core concepts of the original show, etc.

So, I guess it's Vandread next.  That should be fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:10:48 AM by broodwars »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 24, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
Wilfred: 8/10
Funny as hell while keeping a deep meaning.
I decided to watch this show based on recommendations in this thread (maybe only one but I'm on my phone and don't feel like looking) and I'm glad I did. There were two episodes out of five that weren't all that funny, but the 'lesson' of the show carried it through. This is definitely a show to check out. It's kind of Donnie Darko meets Yes Man, and it works great.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 24, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
Wilfred: 8/10
Funny as hell while keeping a deep meaning.
I decided to watch this show based on recommendations in this thread (maybe only one but I'm on my phone and don't feel like looking) and I'm glad I did. There were two episodes out of five that weren't all that funny, but the 'lesson' of the show carried it through. This is definitely a show to check out. It's kind of Donnie Darko meets Yes Man, and it works great.

I was recommended this show the other day. But I was told to just wait till the season was over and just marathon it instead.
It was a glowing recommendation though, so it's been moved onto my watch list

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 24, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
Yeah, I've watched a couple of episodes of a trio of "Siffy" shows lately: Alphas, Warehouse 13, and Eureka.  I've also watched one episode of Haven (first season).

Alphas is...ok as far as "Heroes"-esque shows go, but there's just something about the show that hasn't really clicked with me yet.  Maybe it's the various Alphas not being all that likeable and their powers being portrayed in less-than-impressive ways.  The show feels kind of like if the X-Men kind of...sucked.  It did improve greatly in its second episode, though.  I do wish that TV networks would stop trying to do superpower shows in Live-Action, as IMO you just can't portray larger-than-life stuff like that well in Live Action.  That's what we have animation for.

Warehouse 13 definitely hit the ground running, and it's off to a good start.  The new "Jinx" character adds a nice dimension to the show, and Pete is a lot less annoying than he has been in previous seasons.  Claudia and Artie continue to be very fun to watch, and the writing's going for much more of a serialized feeling this season than in previous ones.  The artifacts have been pretty cool so far, though I'm annoyed given Eureka's love for it that it took Warehouse 13 only 2 episodes to do a "watch the cast act weird!" episode.

Eureka is...well...more Eureka.  It's funny in places, the cast has good chemistry, but the show just doesn't have that spark to it I really enjoyed in earlier seasons.  Maybe the show slowly going more serialized will help that.  I could have done without the Sci-Fi patented "two guys get trapped in a deadly space" story in the season premiere, as well as Eureka's seeming obsession with "ticking clock" episodes.

Haven's pilot feels like Eureka if it were less interesting and the characters had less personality.  It's CSI Alan Wake, and I'll have to see if that works better as the show goes on.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:15:12 PM by broodwars »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 24, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
I haven't seen Alphas but I have to agree on the live action superheroes stuff.  One of the things I hated about Heroes was that they never showed us anything.  Despite characters like Sylar having crazy powers they would use 1 constantly because it was easy to show.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »
I haven't seen the Alphas either, here being the first place I even heard of it, but live action isn't a complete wash. No Ordinary Family was quite good at showing the fights. Most of the fights were pretty good, nice and destructive. Too bad everyone on that show were one flavor of retarded or another. Super Brain my ass.

They were showing Warehouse 13 here a while back, but suddenly stopped mid season 2. It was pretty alright, surprising since to tagged itself as a SYFY "Original", you know with SYFY not doing SciFi anymore.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 25, 2011, 01:58:01 AM »
Alphas was interesting.
I really didn't think I was gonna like the EMF guy, but his character traits became less annoying and more humorous in the 2nd episode.

Eureka has been great since it's return. I agree that it's not quite the same as it was in the first 2 seasons, but it's still good and very enjoyable for most episodes. The timeline storyline was a great way to sort of reboot some of the story and keep the show from getting stale.

Haven is extremely boring. At least it was for the first 3-4 episodes. I stopped forcing myself to give another chance at that point. I'm not sure how it made it to a second season.

I don't watch Warehouse13, so I can't comment on that.

I can say that True Blood has been very off so far this season. But I haven't watched tonites episode yet. Episode 1-4 keep leaving off at a point where you think it's gonna be real good in the next episode, but then it's not. It's not always bad, but it's far less interesting than you thought it would be.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
I watched the first episode of Wilfred..... LOL WTF

There was some humor, but I can only imagine the amount of drugs that were consumed when this show was thought up, written, presented, green-lit, produced and then aired. I started the 2nd episode too, but it was somewhere past 3am in the morning, so I fell asleep. I think it's a pretty safe bet that I will be caught up before morning of tomorrow.

This show makes me think of that Married with Children knock off with Nicki Cox and Greg the Bunny, only there are no puppets this time around. Just a sad man whose new best friend is the neighbors dog.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 25, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Lol Mr. Floppy. I had completely forgotten about Unhappily Ever After.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 25, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »
It's a minor thing, but it's really starting to bug me how Siffy (yes, I know how it's "supposed" to be spelled, but I'm not acknowledging that "Poor Literacy is Kewl") seems to have banned opening credits from their shows.  Warehouse 13 had a really fun and unique opening sequence, and starting this season it looks like it's gone for good.  Eureka's was removed last season, too and I really haven't seen a noticeable increase in content to compensate for the 1.5 minutes "saved" by removing the credits.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 25, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
I think the timeskip has made things a bit wonky in True Blood BnM.  I like the Eric and Bill stuff but the other plots that just seemed to appear over the last six months like the ghost baby/doll and Sam's big group of other shifters he somehow met after years of knowing no others is weird.

I think they should take away one of the plotlines, at least temporarily, so they don't need to jump around so much and make some of the slower moving stories go faster.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 27, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Torchwood: Miracle Day.

I'm struggling to like it. For a show set and based in Wales the whole thing is set in the USA. That itself is fine given how Doctor Who's 2 USA episodes felt very british still except at the same time there is loads of "disconnect" to the universe as a whole, particuarly the Children of Earth season and The Stolen Earth/Journey's End 2-parter, the latter of which overlapped into both Torchwood AND Sarah Jane Adventures. The events of both should have been noticed in the USA given they both affected THE WHOLE WORLD! and yet there's people sounding surprised at the mention of things that couldn't have come from Earth.

The story itself has a lot of interest, although the americanisms keep sucking me out like the big car crashes and explosions and car crashes. It's supposed to be Torchwood not CSI Torchwood.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:03:27 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
I have a feeling that the new setting is strictly a byproduct of Starz taking it over. Even still, I'm liking it so far. It's been slow to get the ball rolling though, with the first two episodes being absolutely nothing other than introductions.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
I have a feeling that the new setting is strictly a byproduct of Starz taking it over. Even still, I'm liking it so far. It's been slow to get the ball rolling though, with the first two episodes being absolutely nothing other than introductions.
I need to find the interview with the creator but its a combination of that and the director actually wanted to move it anyway and Starz gave him an opportunity too.  Felt Britain was a little bit stifle for the show.  I need to watch it.  I've watched all of British Torchwood.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 28, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »
I'm all caught up on Wilfred.
Wow.... Stogi, you gotta check this show out if you haven't already. I think you will like it.
Lots of subtle cheap jokes and good one liners

"why don't you go back to where you came from.... over there... where you were before you came over here"

It's nothing that will make you have cramps in your side, but I find it hard to not enjoy as there is a deeper message being delivered in every episode, and that message is being delivered by the neighbors dog.

-------------

Eureka. The last episode was good.

-------------

Breaking Bad s4
Off to a good start picking up exactly where it left off.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:04:44 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
I've seen it. In fact, I think I put up a review in here.

But yes, while the last scenes with them smoking herb and talking are great (especially the hospital episode), I think the best part of the show is when Wilfred instigates frodo, which is alot.

My only qualms with the series is that I do not think it has longevity. How many lessons can frodo learn before we pay him no attention?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 28, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

Russell T Davies said somewhere (need to find it) that he wanted to film it in the USA but BBC budgetary constraints wouldn't allow for that and needed to partner up with an american network. He backed away from the Fox deal (thank gawd, Fox and Jack Harkness? No way) and said that if it wouldn't work he'd just film it in Wales. Then Starz came along and he got his wish.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:14:29 PM by Plugabugz »