Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198924 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1350 on: June 24, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
Doctor Who - A Good Man Goes To War.

What a way to go on break until September. I'm not going to spoil anything, anything at all. I will wait for other people here to catch up.
Caught up on my trip to Vegas.  Interesting way to do the break.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: June 24, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »

What a way to go on break until September. I'm not going to spoil anything, anything at all. I will wait for other people here to catch up.

I've actually been kind of disappointed with the series since Moffat took over. He's created some of my favorite episodes throughout the newer series though, so I'm hesitant to lay all of the blame on his shoulders. Still, the Eleventh Doctor never seems quite as clever or observant as he should be. I'm glad that they've toned down the use of the sonic screwdriver, but other than that the bad has outweighed the good for the past one and half seasons. The current season in particular has been ridiculously predictable, running heavily through the meta-plot while ignoring better side stories (like The Doctor's Wife). Then you have other questionable changes, like the "upgraded" Daleks. Still, it's worth watching. I no longer expect it to go anywhere surprising however, which saddens me.

On a brighter note, I hear that Torchwood is making a return this summer! :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

I've actually been kind of disappointed with the series since Moffat took over. He's created some of my favorite episodes throughout the newer series though, so I'm hesitant to lay all of the blame on his shoulders. Still, the Eleventh Doctor never seems quite as clever or observant as he should be. I'm glad that they've toned down the use of the sonic screwdriver, but other than that the bad has outweighed the good for the past one and half seasons. The current season in particular has been ridiculously predictable, running heavily through the meta-plot while ignoring better side stories (like The Doctor's Wife). Then you have other questionable changes, like the "upgraded" Daleks. Still, it's worth watching. I no longer expect it to go anywhere surprising however, which saddens me.

That's the thing.  Not all the Doctor's are very clever.  I honestly think out of all the newest ones he really is closest to the style of Doctor I enjoy and grew up with.  Tom Baker is probably my favorite though.  I also liked Paul McGann too even though he had only 1 appearance and I haven't heard the Radio drama's he did or the books the Eighth Doctor is in.  You know I never read any of the books to be honest.

I have mixed feelings about Torchwood.  The non-connected stories are good but the arcs I could sort of live with out.

I do like "The Doctors Wife"  I thought that was a fun episode and its nice to see that relationship in a way fleshed out.  I really wish they do some Flashback content to actually show when the Doctor became the Doctor.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:21:02 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1353 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
X-Files

I know there are a few of you that have watched this show religiously at some point. I'm already into Season 4 and enjoying it, but why do they put the tape "X" on the window? I think I missed that detail somewhere in the earlier season when it was explained.
It's a signal for Mulder's contact(s) to pay him a visit. It's discreet enough to not draw attention to those out of the loop... or so they think and hope. Think of it like the Bat signal.

Yeah. It's actually much more like the flowerpot that Bob Woodward would place on his porch to signal Mark Felt (the real Deep Throat) to meet with him.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 25, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »

I couldn't disagree with you more.  I think the last two seasons of Doctor Who have absolutely blown away the other recent seasons.  The writing is head and shoulders above what it was before, Doctor Who is fun again, and the cheese factor has thankfully been cut way down.
Time travel is now sometimes used for more than just going somewhere at the start of the episode.  I especially like how the Doctor and River are traveling in opposite directions.  Everytime they meet the Doctor knows her more and she knows him less.
I really like that there are new bad guys too.  The Silence was an excellent and creepy idea.  I am sick of seeing the same bad guys again and again.  It's unfortunate they have to put the Daleks in each season because of the rights holder.

Predictable? You honestly predicted that The real Amy was kidnapped and the Amy we saw was a walking pile goo being controlled from far away?

I recently tried to watch some of the older new Doctor Who episodes again and it was painful.  Chrisopher Eccleston carried the first season so much that I'm surprised the guy can still stand up straight.

Did Torchwood get better?  I watched the first season and really didn't like it.  I couldn't bring myself to keep watching it, especially after everyone was forgiven so easily
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:48:28 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
Predictable? You honestly predicted that The real Amy was kidnapped and the Amy we saw was a walking pile goo being controlled from far away?

Yes. The second time that the woman mysteriously peaked through the door-slot, I called it. Obviously, I was unable to concluded the exact nature of her copy until they introduced the concept of the Gangers. I have a reputation for figuring out plots very quickly. A lot of people won't watch films with me because of it, while others think it's entertaining to ask what I think at every plot point. I assume it comes from being a writer myself, but can't say for sure.

Now don't get me wrong. There's plenty to like about the last two and half seasons and I certainly wouldn't try to sway anyone from watching them. But there are so many absolutely glaring flaws that I can't see it going anywhere but down if it stays the course. I honestly hope that's not the case though.

I liked Torchwood overall. It's not Doctor Who, so you shouldn't go into it expecting that. The Children of the Earth mini-series (season 3) was particularly good, I thought.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: June 25, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
The Children of the Earth mini-series (season 3) was particularly good, I thought.

Even the ending? You didn't feel like punching the **** out of Captain Jack Harkness?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: June 25, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
You mean when he sacrificed his grandson to save the entire prepubescent population of the planet? As I recall, Harkness had to make a few tough calls throughout that story arc. Jack has always walked the line between hero and villain (remember his first appearance on Doctor Who?). The finale wasn't too far out of line with what we had already been presented, and kept in tone with the series as a whole. It's nice to see media that doesn't just magically end with smiles and rainbows. Life sucks, and sometimes even entertainment needs to acknowledge that to a degree.

The best thing about Children of the Earth? No goddamn Owen Harper! ;)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 25, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »
Jack has always walked the line between hero and villain (remember his first appearance on Doctor Who?)

The best thing about Children of the Earth? No goddamn Owen Harper! ;)

I haven't watched any episodes of the modern Doctor Who. I remember watching an episode or two of Doctor Who in the late 80s, but I was too young to understand such randomness.

Yeah, Harper wasn't that much of a likable character to begin with.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
I actually figured we were watching Amy's Dream in all the episodes till it was revealed she was Goo. I never actually thought she was back.  It wasn't very Dr. Who like so I can't say I was super super suprised. I was more confused about the babyswapping in and out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 26, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
Been watching through Reaper.  I haven't finished it yet but I've seen enough to know that I would probaly murder Andy of I was Sam.  That is a one way Dysfunctional relationship.  Something always wrong for Andy.  I personally would prefer the Crazy Lady he was dating.  She was cute and bursty Crazy instead of always Crazy.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: June 26, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
I finally got around to finishing Soul Eater, and it's yet another Shounen series with a lot of build-up towards the end but a mediocre ending.  There are numerous character threads that don't feel tied-up satisfactorily (we never even see Maka's mother, and Crona never does give Medusa a well-deserved "I AM A MAN!" punch), and the main villain is literally taken out with the Power of Love (TM) and Deus Ex Machina.  Meh.  At least the build-up to the ending had some great and insane moments, and Soul Eater managed to stick to its comedy roots a lot better than its contemporaries like Bleach (a show that has completely gone off the deep end and looks like it'll never recover).  It's a shame that so few anime series know how to end well, though at least Soul Eater knew to end when it was still a good show, which once again is more than I can say for its contemporaries like Bleach and whatnot.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:53:17 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 26, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Remember how the first Full Metal Alchemist anime wasn't faithful to the manga? It's the same with Soul Eater.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 26, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
Remember how the first Full Metal Alchemist anime wasn't faithful to the manga? It's the same with Soul Eater.

Yes, but in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, we got a better anime the first time around than the manga (and the subsequent anime series that's a panel-for-panel translation of the manga).   ;)   Not having the manga to go by is no excuse for bad/lame writing.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 26, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »
Agreed.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 26, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
So I just finished Trains-Formers  It reminds me a lot of Cars 2 :P:  Seriously though its really 2 Flash animations made for a sons different birthdays.  Its What happens when you combine Thomas the Tank Engine with Transformers and it breaks the 4th Wall.  Its funny.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:11:44 PM by Ceric »

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

Yes, but in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, we got a better anime the first time around than the manga (and the subsequent anime series that's a panel-for-panel translation of the manga).   ;)   Not having the manga to go by is no excuse for bad/lame writing.

You know, I actually liked the second series better. 

My wife and I have been having a marathon of Psych via Netflix.  I didn't like it for the first few episodes, but the comedy really seemed to hit its stride by the end of the first season.   We're almost to the end of season 2. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

You know, I actually liked the second series better. 

Yeah, I can understand that.  So do a lot of people, mainly due to the improved animation and all the action sequences.  My issue with Brotherhood is that it feels like nothing but action sequences, which makes it feel soul-less and uninspired.  It plays out like every other shounen action series:  Horrible pacing issues?  Check.  Characters running around in circles for episode upon episode not really advancing the plot and constantly repeating things the audience already knows?  Check.  Battle sequences that span 2-3 episodes without anything of consequence actually happening?  Check.  Characters artificially acting like morons to extend the length of the series?  Check.

The first Fullmetal Alchemist had its issues and its fight scenes are nowhere near as well-choreographed than those in Brotherhood, but I actually cared about the events and characters in it (plus, the first series had a better origin for the Homunculi).  Brotherhood just feels to me like it's going through the motions of adapting panel-by-panel the original manga.  Even uninspired Fullmetal Alchemist is better than most anime out there, though.  I still have 13 episodes to go to finish Brotherhood, so I'll see how I feel about the series then, but for now the first series is the one with heart and I'll take that anytime.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 27, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »
Yeah their are some things that work a lot better in Manga and a week by week format.  Like Dragon Ball Z is a better Manga then show.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 30, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
First episode of the new season of Chuck, so far so good, it looks like they finally got most of the budget back after being cut off last season that almost staved the show to death.

I like the new season of Doctor Who, especially now that all the characters are finally properly established and free of David's shadow. Opened strong But I hate the two part Ganger episodes. So stretched out, boring filler that could have been just one episode. I fell asleep watching one of them. I have no trouble dumping those on the bottom of any list.

The episode after that is fantastic, but **** those two episodes.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
First episode of the new season of Chuck, so far so good, it looks like they finally got most of the budget back after being cut off last season that almost staved the show to death.

I like the new season of Doctor Who, especially now that all the characters are finally properly established and free of David's shadow. Opened strong But I hate the two part Ganger episodes. So stretched out, boring filler that could have been just one episode. I fell asleep watching one of them. I have no trouble dumping those on the bottom of any list.

The episode after that is fantastic, but **** those two episodes.
Historically Doctor who was always multi-part episodes.  The new one is the first to really shorten it, like the later season of JLU.
I didn't realize the new season of Chuck was starting.  I thought that was August.  I'll have to watch that tomorrow.  I'm going to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me tonight.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 30, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
I'm going to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me tonight.

They tape the show on a Thursday?  Why did I think they performed that live on the weekends, then again it does sound like it gets edited.  I wonder if they involve the audience more live then they do on the radio.  Sounds like fun though.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 30, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
I'm going to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me tonight.

They tape the show on a Thursday?  Why did I think they performed that live on the weekends, then again it does sound like it gets edited.  I wonder if they involve the audience more live then they do on the radio.  Sounds like fun though.
OMG someone knows what I'm talking about... Will you be my 3DS friend? Ok, I was going to try to friend you anyways
I thought they did on Saturday as well.  That was part of the reason I was a little mad when WPLN started airing it on Sunday, for 2 hours of Says You... I mean seriously 1 hour is enough of that show.  Their is another quiz show they do I always forget anyways.  I hope they do involve the crowd more.  Also shot out shirts.  Or a hat with the bubble in foam.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 30, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
I am in a time dilation field called New Zealand, so new for me maybe old for you. The first episode of the "new" season contains Linda Hamilton and Chuck coming out of "retirement" after exploding the Buy More.

I have no issue with multiparts or having entire seasons tied to an arc, it's just that those two episodes were absolutely boring, terrible *Add negative adjective* and add almost nothing except establishing the Gangers, something that could have been done in one episode not two.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 30, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
I am in a time dilation field called New Zealand, so new for me maybe old for you. The first episode of the "new" season contains Linda Hamilton and Chuck coming out of "retirement" after exploding the Buy More.

I have no issue with multiparts or having entire seasons tied to an arc, it's just that those two episodes were absolutely boring, terrible *Add negative adjective* and add almost nothing except establishing the Gangers, something that could have been done in one episode not two.
Agreed but, its not really breaking from tradition on a lot of the older episodes. I've been working though them on Netflix  Though with today pacing doing episodes like that one are not nearly tolerated as they use to be.

I will say the same about the newest HP Movie... and the second part isn't even out