Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1199278 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1300 on: May 20, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »
Reaper s1 - 8/10

At first this show had some similarities to Chuck. Loveable loser (aka no good with women) working at big retailer with loveable loser friends gets special abilities that allow him to go on missions to hunt down bad guys and save the day.  Those similarities end rather quickly though. They don't mess with the "will he, won't he" nonsense toward his love interest thing for very long,  his best friend is very Jeffster meets Awesome, the other is kinda Ellie meets Morgan and while his girl is no Sarah, I think she is finer from a purely looks standpoint (I'm also very biased towards brunettes over blonds). It's kinda like Supernatural meets Chuck, but this kid is no Sam & Dean... he is very much more Chuck, but in a very Supernatural world of Angels & Demons.

So what is this show about? A kid who's parents sold his soul to the devil and now he has to work as Hell's bounty hunter to stick escaped souls back in Hell. The Devil provides him with a vessel, which is a special item tailored for each of his special jobs, to get the job done with, and then he needs to return that soul safely to one of Hell's Gate Keepers so he can get on with his day. In this case, that portal to hell is at the local DMV.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
Reaper s1 - 8/10

At first this show had some similarities to Chuck. Loveable loser (aka no good with women) working at big retailer with loveable loser friends gets special abilities that allow him to go on missions to hunt down bad guys and save the day.  Those similarities end rather quickly though. They don't mess with the "will he, won't he" nonsense toward his love interest thing for very long,  his best friend is very Jeffster meets Awesome, the other is kinda Ellie meets Morgan and while his girl is no Sarah, I think she is finer from a purely looks standpoint (I'm also very biased towards brunettes over blonds). It's kinda like Supernatural meets Chuck, but this kid is no Sam & Dean... he is very much more Chuck, but in a very Supernatural world of Angels & Demons.

So what is this show about? A kid who's parents sold his soul to the devil and now he has to work as Hell's bounty hunter to stick escaped souls back in Hell. The Devil provides him with a vessel, which is a special item tailored for each of his special jobs, to get the job done with, and then he needs to return that soul safely to one of Hell's Gate Keepers so he can get on with his day. In this case, that portal to hell is at the local DMV.
I remember catching a few episodes of that on TV and meaning to actually watch it.  Have you ever watched "Dead Like Me"?  This sounds a lot like that as well.  Though have you found out who is Dad is in Season 1?  He knew the few episodes I watched.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 20, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
I've seen Dead Like Me and it's a little like that show.
A mix of Dead Like Me + Chuck + Supernatural would be a simplified way of generalizing it.

Dead Like Me in that they are hunting down souls that should be somewhere else.
Chuck by the setting and general characters/personalities
Supernatural as they are hunting and fighting "creatures" with specialized "weapons". There is also The Devil, Demons and spirits with otherworldly powers.

And I'm a actually a few eps into season 2(Netflix Streaming), so I know all about the daddy drama. It's a good show, you should check it out from the start. It's only 1 & 1/2 seasons long, so it shouldn't take that long.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 21, 2011, 01:59:02 AM »
Just finished Reaper s2

talk about a show that got cut off too soon. A short order on the second season and no 3rd season to follow it up. It didn't end with a lot of tension or unresolved conflict, but it just kinda ends and leaves you wondering whats next for them. I would have really liked a 3rd season just so they coudl end the show definitively instead of like it was just gonna pick up in a second half of season 2 or maybe in a 3rd season, which obviously never happened.

Although it's rumored that Netflix is gonna rescue a show from cancellation this year, it's too bad Netflix can't resurrect shows from the grave instead, because I would recommend this show to be one of the candidates if possible.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1304 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
Season 3 is pretty poorly regarded, though the finale is just plain awesome. For most of season 3, they didn't know how long the show was going to last, and it shows - it definitely seems like they're treading water. Once they figure out that they're going to do exactly 6 seasons, it gets much more focused, and that's reflected in seasons 4 and 5, which are both wonderful, imo. That's the point where you can start to tell that they're building toward something more specific, even if it is still nuts.

I was definitely getting that feeling, so it's good to know it has some basis. I liked season 3, but not as much as one or two mostly because of all the main characters that died, which was pretty much everyone from the back of the plane except Bernard. But yeah, the finale is pretty epic especially the last flash.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »
I recently watched the first disc (Oceans, Deserts, Arctic) of three with the series Human Planet by BBC Earth. I'm enjoying it, and loving to see how some people live on such extremes.
My only nitpick is that the footage is in 1080i. Why even bother putting it on a BR if it's not 720p or 1080p.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 22, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
Just saw the finale of Fringe.

I didn't expect what happened at all.  There was one thing I couldn't figure out through Why does Peter no longer exist?  Did he unmake himself back to the future style when I wasn't looking?

I was definitely getting that feeling, so it's good to know it has some basis. I liked season 3, but not as much as one or two mostly because of all the main characters that died, which was pretty much everyone from the back of the plane except Bernard. But yeah, the finale is pretty epic especially the last flash.

A lot of those characters died because of circumstances outside the show (a couple of DUIs and some personal reasons).  Unfortunate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:03:04 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »
So I just watched two new episodes of Game of Thrones. One premiered tonight, and its successor premiered afterwards but only online.

This is easily my new favorite show. I find it so interesting in fact, that I search out for more back story and history on the internet and am contemplating reading the books just so I don't have to wait to see how this story ends.

It is truly fascinating. Like I said before, everything is coming to a head...not slowly, but galloping towards the end. And it's not like this show is unpredictable, it's exactly the opposite. It takes all these great characters and then asks itself, how could I make the most out of them? The answer is always conflict. If I have to kill off a character in order to drop the civilities between mutual parties, then so be it. And that's why I love it. Anyone can get the ax. I can predict what is going to happen, but it still doesn't prepare me for the veracity of the conflict or the death of the character. It's amazing to watch.

Only 3 more episodes left. I can't imagine everything being tied off perfectly with a little knot in that time frame.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:47:42 AM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
Are you saying that there were 2 new episodes on tonite?
One on the air and the other online only?

I haven't watched tonites episode yet, but I don't want to miss an extra ep if I have to find it online too.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:58 AM »
Yeah two episodes came out tonight; one on air, one online. You can only access the one online through HBO GO and that requires a subscription. I've tried to look for it on torrents simply because the quality HBO stream was so awful I could barely read the subtitles (which at one point is all you can understand during a epic...EPIC speech).

Still, if you have the ability to, definitely watch it. I can't wait to watch it again in HD glory...that's how good it was.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 23, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
My mom has HBO and my email is attached to her Comcast account, but I've never figured out how to sign up through the HBO site. But I've also never really tried to figure it out either. do you need some special code or account number?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
Nope. Just go to HBOgo.com, click sign in, click Comcast - it'll redirect you to comcast to login, once you do you get thrown back to hbo go and your set. If it does ask you to create an account, and it might, all you need is your comcast login; nothing special.

Or you can watch the episode at xfinity.comcast.net. Just login and go to on demand.

So I just saw the latest episode in HighDef. What a difference that makes. I could actually read the subtitles and holy shite. I'm about to spoiler it up for those that want to speculate. I got a couple theories on how it'll all end.

So Ned is prisoner to the Lannisters - That means Ned's Son will more than likely gather up an army to free him. War is a-comin'. The old Lannister and Jamie are already marching with troops. Who knows what Jamie intends to do with his half.
The Imp and the swordsman - I'm pretty sure they'll want no part of it and just avoid the entire situation. Who knows though, he may get himself into trouble again. Especially if Rob is the first to find him. I hope I see more of them regardless. They seem like quite the hilarious pair.
Cat Stark - More than likely will get word from Rob and ask her sister to join forces.
The girls Stark - I got a sneaky suspicion that the red head is still in Kings Landing. The short one probably not.
The Dead King's Gay Brother - He dipped right? Well I bet he still thinks he'd be a better king than any Stark or Lannister. My guess is he'll have something important to do these next few episodes. I have no idea what though.
Dragon Queen - I think there will be one more attempt on her life. One that might come from close within her inner circle. I also think the Dothraki will have far more trouble travelling over the sea than they expect.

In the end - I expect full well that Ned Stark will die. I really really don't want him too, but just like Stringer Bell...I'm sure his days are numbered. I also think the young prince/king will die...leaving Jamie to pursue the crown which might make for an epic battle against the horse lords. Who knows though. This show is crazy like that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:00:10 AM by The Unagi »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »
Just saw the finale of Fringe.

I didn't expect what happened at all.  There was one thing I couldn't figure out through Why does Peter no longer exist?  Did he unmake himself back to the future style when I wasn't looking?

Yeah, that Season Finale was terrible, even for Fringe.  I don't know why Science Fiction shows repeatedly think basing an episode around the initial concept that episode used is inherently interesting (Star Trek is especially fond of it).  Without context and having seen the journey, I was just bored watching the episode.  And then the final 5 minutes came, and I was just dumbfounded at what a cheap leap in logic that was.  It's also a cop-out since it rips out any dramatic tension in the Big Plot this scene was trying to drive home.

For my birthday last month I got a gift card I eventually used to pick up a Blu-Ray set for an anime series called Ga-Rei-Zero.  I've watched the first 2 episodes, and man this show isn't grabbing me.  This is one of those series where the writers think it's really cute to show the ending of the show first and then jump back to show how the "tragedy" came to be, and it really doesn't work so far (the show hasn't even jumped back yet).  These first two episodes are incredibly generic and boring, which is kind of the gag the writers are trying to pull off but much like No More Heroes "daring to bore me" does not make the show any less hard to sit through.  It's going to take a lot of effort and/or boredom to get me to continue watching this 12/13 episode series.

I also picked up the Soul Eater Parts 1 & 2 Blu-Ray today, but sadly there's only a couple of episodes on there I hadn't seen already so the wait till July is already looking long.  I might just watch the rest of the series in downloaded format first while I wait, much like I did waiting for this set to come out after its multi-month delays.  The show looks quite nice in HD, though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:56:08 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1313 on: May 27, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
Is anyone here watching "Happy Endings?" It's shockingly good.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
I've seen a few eps, but I've honestly been meaning to play catch up.

Damon Jr. looks just like his daddy.

« Reply #1315 on: May 28, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
Party Down.  Season Two Ep 3

5/5

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1316 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:38 AM »
Started a show on Netflix Instant called "Out of Practice."

Despite a promising case (Clark Kent from Ugly Betty, Phil Dunphy from Modern Family, The Fonz, Lisa Cuddy's sister from House, some lady as the mom, and Jennifer Tilly), the show suffers from predicatable and unimaginative writing. The core conceit--they're a family of doctors, falls apart after the second episode because none of them are ever at their jobs. They spend more time in each others apartments (which are all in the same building) and the coffee shop, which destroys the illustion. They don't even really talk about medical things.

So after 10 episodes, I think we're going to stop watching it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »
So I just saw the latest episode in HighDef. What a difference that makes. I could actually read the subtitles and holy shite. I'm about to spoiler it up for those that want to speculate. I got a couple theories on how it'll all end.

You forgot about Robert's other brother who we never met.  Ned sent him a note which I assume says that the prince is not the rightful air.  That brings yet another army marching towards the King's Landing.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
You're right. And I forgot about Jon Snow as well. Presumably, he'll want a piece of the action. Ned is the only person who knows his mother.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 01, 2011, 03:40:48 AM »
You're right. And I forgot about Jon Snow as well. Presumably, he'll want a piece of the action. Ned is the only person who knows his mother.

I've been wondering how Jon Snow can get involved. He obviously cares for his family and Ned treated Jon excellently compared to Robert's bastards.  When he went to the wall he even talked about Jon fulfilling the role Stark's have played for generations.  I know he will want to do something but how?  He just swore off duty to houses and if he leaves he will be executed.  I could see him eventually rising to commander and taking over but that would take a long time.  With the white walkers around and other things it seems like they will all be needed at the wall soon enough too.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
You are right. It doesn't seem possible. But I got an inclination that Jon Snow will be a more important character than he's been.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 04, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
I just finished 2 seasons of Sons of Anarchy.
(lots of late night viewing over the past couple of days)

Great show. Everyone should check it out and it was a suitable replacement for The Shield on FX, but I have some issues with the s2 finale.

So they pack up all the women and children at the club to keep them safe while they go out and handle some business. But Gemma goes with Jax's girl and the baby to run some errands while Prospect watches their back. After they go shopping they and Gemma follows that one chick back to the Irish house, Jax's girl and Prospect meet back up at Jax's house.... Why? why would they go there? and if there was so much drama, why would they possibly want to take the baby out to run some errands with them? The baby should have been left at the club and Jax's girl should have returned straight to the club after she dropped Gemma off. But I guess that wouldn't invite all the extra drama if they followed the rules they set up for themselves to keep everyone safe in the first place.

Now that I got that out of the way, when does the 3rd season start?

and what others shows should be on my Watch List?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 04, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
Boardwalk Empire. I can't wait for the second season to start. Other than Game of Thrones, it's easily HBO's best show.

Louie. Most hilarious show on TV. Louie C.K. might be the funniest person on the planet right now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:10:52 PM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
I'm all caught up on both Boardwalk and Game of Thrones.
All caught up on Son of Anarchy
All caught up on...
Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Killing, The Borgias (another good show), Supernatural, Shameless, It's Always Sunny (when does the new season start?), Weeds (I think... has a new season started yet?), Luther, Being Human, Spartacus, Misfits, The Walking Dead...

I've watched Reaper, Party down, Carnivale, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, The Good Guys...

I guess I could get back into The West Wing or see how The Chicago Code plays out since i stopped watching it weeks ago (I hear it's been canceled) or maybe that X-men anime... but I just haven't been able to get into anime for such a long time now.

That show Breaking In.. has anyone watched that? I hear that's been canceled too. Was that any good? How about Happy Endings?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 04, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
If you haven't seen it, a friend of mine has been raving lately about Six Feet Under. This being the same friend who insisted I watch The Wire and Breaking Bad, I intend to get to it, but I have a couple things I want to watch first.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent