Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198959 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1250 on: April 19, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
What did you guys think of the animation portion of last weeks Fringe?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 20, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »
Thats good. Maybe they can get the oldest of fans, the ones like me who really liked the original movie but nothing subsequent, to actually give a damn.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1252 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
Still watching Larry Sanders. By season 4, it's starting to get...more serious than funny. Still funny, no doubt, thanks largely to Rip Torn's pitch-perfect delivery of his character, Arthur.

HEY NOW.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 22, 2011, 12:41:34 AM »
I read an article recently putting The Larry Sanders Show in the same discussion as NewsRadio, which led me to immediately put it on my Netflix Queue. I'd have to get through Arrested Development (which I haven't started yet (I know)) before I get to it, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 25, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
Doctor Who is back!

I love Steven Moffat's writing. Whenever he does two parters its always 90% setup to the second. Looking forward to next week.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
Doctor Who is back!

I love Steven Moffat's writing. Whenever he does two parters its always 90% setup to the second. Looking forward to next week.
Are they showing it online?  I'm a big Dr. Who fan but I have no cable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
Sherlock Great show, wasn't sure I would like the modern twist, but the creators did a great job of translating the mythos and really know the character.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »

As an animation fan, I thought it looked like ****.  None of the characters in animated form looked like their live-action counterparts.  Plus, that gimmick went on way too long.  In an episode inspired by acid trips, I think the gag would have worked better as a sub-1 minute gag rather than a 30-minute gag.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 25, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

As an animation fan, I thought it looked like ****.  None of the characters in animated form looked like their live-action counterparts.  Plus, that gimmick went on way too long.  In an episode inspired by acid trips, I think the gag would have worked better as a sub-1 minute gag rather than a 30-minute gag.

Agree.  Outside of Belle nobody looked like their live-action counterparts.  Olivia seemed like they just grabbed "stock blonde girl 02" and had her voice it.  It had potential but they just didn't use it.  There is so much they could have done with the animation that they couldn't do in real life but instead they had random zombies show up.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 26, 2011, 06:17:27 AM »
I agree with the sentiments so far, and I'm also not a big fan of that half-animation/half-3D model art style. It was kind of cool at first because it made sense in weird sort of way, but then it went on and on. I know Fringe was picked up for another season, but what if this was a test run for what the show will ultimately become in order to save money? If they improve the animation, it wouldn't be terrible, but it would it survive? Would an animated show be able to stay on TV or will it be web-only? Fringe has one of the lowest viewer counts of any network show, and Fox has to be thinking of doing something to save themselves money, broaden the base, or cut ties altogether without getting nerds mad at them.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:41 AM »
Can't lose Fringe. Besides Doctor Who, the world will be out of good Sci-fi to watch. The world will be dominated by endless comedies, medical dramas, police procedural shows and the omnipresent reality show.

I guess with TV sucking so much I can just play more games instead.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 26, 2011, 06:45:47 AM »
Finally got around to watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's "second season" (which is just 14 new episodes interspersed in-between a rebroadcast first season), and man does it suck.  I've always been rather lukewarm on Haruhi, appreciating it's mildly sarcastic tone and occasional moment of wonder, but never understanding why that show of all shows would gather such ridiculous hype.  But this "second season" takes whatever I enjoyed about the show and flushes it down the toilet.  The season is composed of one dull standalone episode and 2 arcs, one 8 episodes long and one 5 episodes long.

The 8-episode "Endless Eight" arc is legendary for its high magnitude of awfulness, being so terrible that it probably single-handedly destroyed the franchise, causing the production staff and voice actors to have to publicly apologize for it.  To make a ridiculously long story short, "Endless Eight" has the characters stuck in a 2-week time loop where they forget everything at the end of the loop.  Every episode has the same scenes and the same dialogue.  And this crap goes on for 8 episodes, with an especially lame conclusion.  Yeah...

As for the other arc, it just details the making of the intentionally crappy "Episode 0" fan movie from the first season.  It's not terrible, just stretched out way too long and ruined by long scenes of dull exposition that ruin any potential humor.  This was a problem I had with the original season as well, but the issue's so much more pronounced here.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 26, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »

Can't lose Fringe. Besides Doctor Who, the world will be out of good Sci-fi to watch. The world will be dominated by endless comedies, medical dramas, police procedural shows and the omnipresent reality show.

There's lots of good TV right now. Pretty much everything on HBO and AMC, most of what's on FX and NBC's Thursday night, plus some assorted other things. Though a lot of that stuff is out of season at the moment.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 27, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »

There is several one-off series coming out of the UK (alongside the Doctor Who universe) like Marchlands, Outcasts etc but there is very little US produced stuffs now. And i'm thinking Terra Nova is going to "flop" not because its doing badly but because its so expensive its "success numbers" will be just that higher.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 27, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »
The first two episodes of Game of Thrones have been excllent.  I haven't read any of the books but it hasn't been any impediment.  The sets and costumes are excellent and with actors like Sean Bean involved the cast is great.  I was pleasantly surprised that the dwarf I heard about was a real life dwarf and not a fantasy dwarf.  The character is one of my favorites so far.

At the end of the second episode you can really see a lot of the different confilcts building.  This is must watch stuff.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:29:13 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 27, 2011, 04:52:26 AM »
Sixth...our opinion's couldn't be more different. I will agree, however, that the midget is by far my favorite character.

That said, Game of Thrones is awfully boring right now. Everything I've seen is either predictable or unwarranted. Conversations just seem to go on and on.

I'm going to continue watching simply because it's the first season, I like the settings and those wolves are bad ass. But something better happen soon.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 27, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
The first two episodes of Game of Thrones have been excllent.  I haven't read any of the books but it hasn't been any impediment.  The sets and costumes are excellent and with actors like Sean Bean involved the cast is great.  I was pleasantly surprised that the dwarf I heard about was a real life dwarf and not a fantasy dwarf.  The character is one of my favorites so far.

At the end of the second episode you can really see a lot of the different confilcts building.  This is must watch stuff.

I agree! My only complaint is that until the end of the latest episode everyone was having sex doggy style. The conversations are deep, but I actually like that, it's more book-like. There is a lot going on, and I watched the first episode twice to better understand the differing factions, but I definitely like where the story is going.

It's pretty good so far, and it's definitely better than Camelot. I haven't read the books, but now I probably will, and still watch the show.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the bastard son going to the wall, I wish he would have stayed with the family. I also didn't like them killing the wolf, and I hope that redhead doesn't marry that dick-headed prince. But even there, as I hate the prince, I like the character's (potential) effect on the story.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 28, 2011, 02:38:43 AM »
Parks and Recreation

I know I'm late but I had to write something about this phenomenal show. I'll keep it short though and say that Season 1 wasn't needed (6 episodes?!). Season 2 was awesome (24 episodes?!). And I almost pissed myself watching 'Soulmates' in Season 3.

Top 3 favorite characters.

Ron is an awesomely ironic character who only becomes greater the more I see him. Easily one of the best characters created since Ricky Gervais's 'The Office' manager.
Tom is easily the funniest person on the show. Maybe not the most awesome, but definitely the funniest.
Jerry is the 'Butters' of this show, except he's actually really talent, making the jokes (usually made by Tom) even more hilarious.

EDIT:

New South Park

Thank God this show is back on the air. It has once again brought up an issue I hadn't realized was a problem, i.e. Apple tracking your location through your iphone/ipad. I also laughed - a lot. Cartman's rants are something that really can't get old.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:46:22 AM by The Unagi »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 30, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
game of thrones is all sorts of awesome
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1269 on: April 30, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Lost Season 2: I still like it. The theme of every character randomly going crazy is getting a bit old. Some character motivations are a bit random as well. Also, there seem to be a few abandoned plot lines popping up here and there. The season finale was good, I suppose. It feels like a lot of characters have getten written off this season, which doesn't seem like it'll bode well for the rest of the show. All in all, the plot is keeping me motivated, and the show still throws out a couple of good surprises here and there. Still liking it.

Oh, and this same one thing keeps bothering me: WTF do the other 30 some odd people do on the island all day? It's like there were 42 of em and then a couple died, and the show still only follows like 10 of 'em and that's still after they added the people from the back of the plane.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:55:30 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 01, 2011, 01:14:14 AM »
The secret answer to all of your questions about LOST
they are making it up as they go along. It all makes sense if you over analyze it for meaning that aren't there

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1271 on: May 01, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
Gets really good at the end of Season 3 and for all of Season 4. Ignore the haters.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Doctor Who... i called this last week. Steven Moffat knows how to write 2 parters and this is no exception. His writing is fantastic and even though the didn't completely resolve last week's cliffhanger it's been written to play long ball over the season.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 01, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
Gets really good at the end of Season 3 and for all of Season 4. Ignore the haters.

never said it wasn't interesting, and I know that no original show has a 6 season arc planned from the beginning, but this show just seemed like they didn't even plan out the whole season at the beginning of the season. Everyone had to analyze it for deeper meanings and if you didn't follow the wiki, official fan sites & forum discussions, you probably missed alot of the "connections" to have things make sense.

I probably makes for a much better show if you just marathon it, but once a week in seasons led to too many questions and not enough answers to really follow everything in detail. By the time they answer a question, it's 12 episodes later, and ......

actually I really don't want to get into this. I was Lost on Lost and I will leave it at that.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 01, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
I give the last show I saw a 6
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report