Author Topic: Project HAMMER NOOOOOOO  (Read 14183 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Project HAMMER NOOOOOOO
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »
Part of me believes that this is just exaggerated rumors. But the other half believes that Nintendo would be stupid enough to cancel a promising IP in favor of more casual games...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Project HAMMER NOOOOOOO
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Though if Nintendo cuts something, that must mean something. And the last time Nintendo kept a hobbling project afloat we got Geist...

I don't think that's really fair to say. Geist conceptually was really fantastic and regardless of the numerous issues with the game I still enjoyed it. Had Nintendo really stepped in and permanently placed some of their resources on the title I think it would have wound up being alot better.

In any event I really think this is terrible if the rumor turns out to be true. The game looked like some good fun and if there were enough resources on the title I'm sure some great things could happen with it. I agree with Pittboi, the worst part of this whole thing is the simple fact that Nintendo may have cancelled it in favor of making more casual games. I totally understand that there is big money to be made in that market, but they should be creating new teams with their oodles of money to pay for those ventures. Don't gimp the teams and projects that make games for your fans. Sh*tting all over the fanbase that has kept you going for years and years just to milk a new market is bad business. A business should always keep in mind their loyal supporters because when times get tough that is the crowd who will keep you afloat.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Well, let's be honest here. This project never really lit any fires to begin with. It was only hyped because of fanboyism.

I personally hope this isn't true, but only because Project H.A.M.M.E.R. had always been looking very... blah... and confirmation of a continuing project would suggest that improvements were actually being made... at least to me.

When did you become such a Pessimist?

Did someone kill your kitten?

My cats are fine, thank you very much. And that ain't pessimism, it's calling the emperor out for not wearing any clothes.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Part of me believes that this is just exaggerated rumors. But the other half believes that Nintendo would be stupid enough to cancel a promising IP in favor of more casual games...

The only reason Ninty cancels games is if they just aren't working...It has absolutely nothing to do with casual games at all... *rolls eyes*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
Sad and expected if true. As much as we like to point out that corruption, smash and galaxy are coming, theres little evidence Nintendo really cares about putting more titles like these, I expect now a Zelda wii to add to that and thats it, the rest will be brain age rehashes until the end of time.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
I agree with Pittboi, the worst part of this whole thing is the simple fact that Nintendo may have cancelled it in favor of making more casual games. I totally understand that there is big money to be made in that market, but they should be creating new teams with their oodles of money to pay for those ventures. Don't gimp the teams and projects that make games for your fans. Sh*tting all over the fanbase that has kept you going for years and years just to milk a new market is bad business. A business should always keep in mind their loyal supporters because when times get tough that is the crowd who will keep you afloat.

I don't know. NST, as a development house, simply doesn't seem to excel. The one thing they can boast of, in all their years of ho-hum releases and porting, is MP: H.

... Maybe Nintendo cancelled H.A.M.M.E.R. in favor of a MP:H sequel?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
Jack's right.  But this is a rumor right now.  We're all over-reacting at the moment.  And we can start an email campaign if the news turns true.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 02:20:03 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
Sad and expected if true. As much as we like to point out that corruption, smash and galaxy are coming, theres little evidence Nintendo really cares about putting more titles like these, I expect now a Zelda wii to add to that and thats it, the rest will be brain age rehashes until the end of time.

Just like there's little evidence supporting you actually thinking before you post...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 02:31:58 PM »

I don't know. NST, as a development house, simply doesn't seem to excel. The one thing they can boast of, in all their years of ho-hum releases and porting, is MP: H.

... Maybe Nintendo cancelled H.A.M.M.E.R. in favor of a MP:H sequel?

Kairon, I would tell you to stop thinking, but that implies that you were before.  NST has some good games under its belt, and you may not agree, but Kairon does not equal the voice of everybody.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Well, let's be honest here. This project never really lit any fires to begin with. It was only hyped because of fanboyism.

I personally hope this isn't true, but only because Project H.A.M.M.E.R. had always been looking very... blah... and confirmation of a continuing project would suggest that improvements were actually being made... at least to me.

When did you become such a Pessimist?

Did someone kill your kitten?

No, see if Project H.A.M.M.E.R was a third party title, Kairon would be all over it. Since it's first party it's meh.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
NST is one of my favorite parts of the Nintendo hamburger. Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and Mario vs Donkey Kong were outstanding. With bold and everything!

Corruption = generic first person shooter with a nice soundtrack and little else (IWENTTHERE )
Smash Bros. = fun multiplayer pick up 'n' play

Well I'd be pretty happy if they stopped with the first, there's enough of those on 360. But the second is what the Wii's all about!  

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
NST is one of my favorite parts of the Nintendo hamburger. Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and Mario vs Donkey Kong were outstanding. With bold and everything!

Corruption = generic first person shooter with a nice soundtrack and little else (IWENTTHERE )
Smash Bros. = fun multiplayer pick up 'n' play

Well I'd be pretty happy if they stopped with the first, there's enough of those on 360. But the second is what the Wii's all about!

Oh trust me you are not the only one with doubts about corruption, and I have whined about it every chance I got, from the crappy bounty hunters making an appearance  to how generic it all seems to be, but I remain optimistic for some unknown reason.

As I said before I would gladly eat my words when pikmin wii is announced, but with each passing day it seems less and less likely, whether this rumor is true or not.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Shecky:

And usually that would make sense. But just look at Nintendo's release schedule, they're already making a pretty big push for the casual market with scores of casual games. If this rumor is true and they're canceling gamer games to free up resources  for more casual games, and tampering with traditional games to make them more "accessible"...well, that's plenty of reason for a gamer to be ticked off. And besides, it's Nintendo, I'm sure most people would have rather they made an attempt to make the game great (like they do with most of their franchises) than just cut it and work on more casual titles.

I think you are completely overreacting, I have no idea what more accessible is and neither do you. Technically you could argue RE4 is more accessible. In regards to Project HAMMER, I am really sad to see it go because I wanted to see what Nintendo could do with a beat em up game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Just like there's little evidence supporting you actually thinking before you post...

Ouch, or like Zelda: TP sucking because it was being put on Wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

The way I see it you are the one without the thinking part, my posts come abruptly because Nintendo recently hasn't fail to dissapoint me, and as a fan thats just saddening, but I only exaggerate and make hyperboles. You simply defy logic, following your reasoning Geist would have never seen the light of day, that thing never worked, it certainly never did in the middle or beginning of development. And we all know the development hell Metroid Prime was, or Wind Waker being rushed, or what about Aonuma and his "GC was making Zelda boring and thats the reason we ported it to the wii" (yeah right...) if anything Nintendo DOESN'T cancel games when they aren't working, if they didn't see any potential the projects wouldn't even get a green light. Don't try to deny Nintendo is focusing in a completly different direction now.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »
I'm once again left banging my head against the wall.

If Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore gamers, produce the evidence that they have done so with the DS. It would make even more sense to dumb down games for a pick-up-and-play experience on portables, but Nintendo hasn't done that. Pokemans is bigger and more complex than ever.

And since when was Project HAMMER considered to be "hardcore", anyway. The gameplay was critcized as being too one dimensional. Sounds more casual than anything. Not that I want this game to be cancelled, but it didn't seem to be all that compelling of an idea. Now, if it had 1:1 hammer controls that would be a different story...
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

I think you are completely overreacting, I have no idea what more accessible is and neither do you. Technically you could argue RE4 is more accessible.

I don't think so. I didn't quote it earlier, but there was another part of Matt's post that made me think of a very specific audience when the word "accessible" was mentioned:

Sources further claim that the team formerly working on the title is now underway with one or more efforts that fall into the "expanded audience" lineup of games.

Again, this is only rumor, but if Matt is right this pretty much spells out that Project HAMMER was cut and the team put to work on casual-type games. I'm hoping this isn't true, but I'd say my interpretation of this rumor is far from being a complete overreaction. RE4 Wii is more accessible, but only because the controls make certain aspects of the game easier and more fluid just by their very nature. But RE4 wasn't made "accessible" by dumbing it down.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 05:34:04 PM »
Maybe it sucked?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2007, 05:38:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
Now, if it had 1:1 hammer controls that would be a different story...

For Christ's sake. 1:1 controls ARE NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE WII.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
Well, if you guys say that NST is good... because seriously, they've rarely if ever been on my radar, and their projects were of little sales significance. They started life as a port house, and that tradition continued with Blue Storm and Avalanche, which were solid, but simply couldn't stand out. They had success with Metroid Prome: Hunters, but that was a deathmatch FPS with a lackluster single-player mode. They do good work, but they've never really made their mark design-wise, and that's exactly what the Wii demands: design. Swinging a hammer isn't going to cut it alone, and I was hoping that the next time we saw H.A.M.M.E.R. it would leap head and shoulders above what was previously shown because what was previously shown was.... I'm still waiting to see if NST has more in them independent of Nintendo or Nintendo franchises.

And if we're going to speculate oveer this article, I'd think this would be more interesting:

However, IGN Wii has heard separately that Nintendo is actively re-working some traditional games so that they are more accessible by casual players.

Notice the bolding.

What is that? Ome of my first theories was porting Kirby GCN to Wii... but... uh yeah. The only paralell I can imagine to this is like how SK ported MG:TS to the GC, maybe NST is being put to work porting last-gen works (first party or otherwise?) to the wiimote controls.

This suggests that NST is NOT making casual games, but something more akin to wiimakes, more akin to how PoP:TT was reworked for a Wii audience, how ScarFace and Godfather were reworked for the wiimote... or again, Kirby, who has always been aimed at an expanded audience anyways since it was started as a platformer for novices?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
I gotta go with the Carminester on this one.  I was going to say about the same thing, but I didn't feel like finding the quote, so I'm glad he did.  To me it seems like they would be Wii-making games, or Wii-envisioning old franchises and games.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2007, 06:26:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Originally posted by: Urkel
Now, if it had 1:1 hammer controls that would be a different story...

For Christ's sake. 1:1 controls ARE NOT POSSIBLE WITH THE WII.

I know true 1:1 isn't possible on Wii. I meant 1:1 as in Wii Baseball where the way I hold the remote is reflected on screen. The way they were using the remote in Project Hammer didn't sound terribly creative. Just a few gestures (three if I'm not mistaken). I doubt the game would've played much different with a traditional controller.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
But Kairon, in that very quote it says that they're reworking the games to make them more accessible by "casual players." I don't think that's just giving older franchises the Wii treatment. The examples you listed, Scarface and Godfather, were indeed reworked for Wii, but not to make them more accessible for casual players. The were reworked because they had to be to incorporate the motion-sensing capabilities of the wiimote. I don't recall anyone ever saying that those games were reworked specifically for the casual audience. However, that's the case with this rumor. This isn't about taking a older franchise and re-envisioning them with motion controls for the Wii. This quote gives me the impression that these older franchises are going to be re-worked to be more appealing to casual gamers. And we know what that means with Nintendo: simple, short and [arguably] lacking substancial depth.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 06:32:05 PM »
Hmm, NST is probably one of Nintendo's worst development teams. However, that's in terms of Nintendo's own standards. Otherwise, they're a pretty competent team. NST is certainly better than some of Nintendo's old second parties like Angel Studios and Left Field Productions.

If Nintendo canceled Project H.A.M.M.E.R., they did so with good reason. If it was still good enough to be salvaged, they would've done so... like Metroid Prime, though there are some games that Nintendo never should have released (at least without some changes) like Wario: Master of Disguise.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »

But Kairon, in that very quote it says that they're reworking the games to make them more accessible by "casual players." I don't think that's just giving older franchises the Wii treatment. The examples you listed, Scarface and Godfather, were indeed reworked for Wii, but not to make them more accessible for casual players. The were reworked because they had to be to incorporate the motion-sensing capabilities of the wiimote. I don't recall anyone ever saying that those games were reworked specifically for the casual audience. However, that's the case with this rumor. This isn't about taking a older franchise and re-envisioning them with motion controls for the Wii.

I dunno about that. It all depends on how you define casual. Are you defining casual as non-gamer? Or are you defining casual as the sort of person who buys and plays NSMB on the DS? Are you defining them as Nintendogs? Or are you defining them as Pokemon?

Like I said, I can't help but keep returning to the idea behind Kirby here. They're prob not doing Kirby, but Kirby is a perfect example of a traditional game genre being revisited to appeal to a "casual" player, it was created as a beginner's platformer, after all... I guess to a lesser extent Super Princess Peach is as well.

This quote gives me the impression that these older franchises are going to be re-worked to be more appealing to casual gamers. And we know what that means with Nintendo: simple, short and [arguably] lacking substancial depth.

Hmm... sounds like Super Paper Mario to me!