Author Topic: Wind Waker  (Read 26693 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Waker
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
Well the steam boat wasn't "cute" :P but it's pretty much smoke's idea, and it was nice, but I still don't think is the best sailing mechanic ever made. I still want wind to be used, I just don't know how to implement it properly.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
The only problem with sailing was how cumbersome it was to change the wind's direction, but making it very simple wouldn't have been the solution for me, I really can't think of an idea to fix it but it lies in the middle.
Use steam power instead of wind power?  I'm sure they could come up with an appropriately cutesy little steam ship for Link to cruise around in.  With cartoony little puffs of smoke poofing out of the little smoke stack every half second or so it would be adorable. o:
Oh you mean like the Recent DS game?  (I still need to play that...)
I don't know; I haven't played it either.

Yes you use a steam boat in PH.  It is pretty nice.

There is too little to do on the ocean. I agree that there should have been some bigger islands in WW.  It would have been cool if you could have done some on land exploring OOT style too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Well the steam boat wasn't "cute" :P
Phail. D:<
GOREGASM!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »
Captain Rose > Tetra
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »
Well the steam boat wasn't "cute" :P but it's pretty much smoke's idea, and it was nice, but I still don't think is the best sailing mechanic ever made. I still want wind to be used, I just don't know how to implement it properly.

Gee, if only Nintendo would come up with a controller that could determine where on the screen you were aiming.  Then all you'd have to do is point in the direction you wanted the wind to blow.

::sigh::  ... if only ...
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
Yeah but only one of their four controllers can do that

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »

Gee, if only Nintendo would come up with a controller that could determine where on the screen you were aiming.  Then all you'd have to do is point in the direction you wanted the wind to blow.

::sigh::  ... if only ...

I would like that but I can already see the usual crowd whining about difficulty since it would be easy, but it sounds fun!. The thing is they have to take whats fun about sailing in real life and remove the part thats boring or annoying. Sailing IS epic because of distance, but you have to make the journey fun and engaging, also, real boats can change the direction of movement easier than what we had to do in the Wind Waker, I want that mechanic, whatever it is, to be emulated in a fun way. How do boats manage to get to a port without favorable winds, they just can't? or wind blowing always in the same direction is a rarity and they just have to wait?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
WEll we can point a Wiimote at the screen now, the cannon was one of the greatest parts of sailing in PH, so they need that  in WW.  It was fun easy and versatile.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Sailing IS epic because of distance, but you have to make the journey fun and engaging, also, real boats can change the direction of movement easier than what we had to do in the Wind Waker, I want that mechanic, whatever it is, to be emulated in a fun way. How do boats manage to get to a port without favorable winds, they just can't? or wind blowing always in the same direction is a rarity and they just have to wait?

Like this.  I did that a lot in Wind Waker because it was slightly less annoying than whipping out the wand, even though it took longer.  See also points of sail.  I found that the King of Red Lions was faster in broad reach than running.  This is realistic, but counterintuitive, so I wonder how many people noticed, assuming it wasn't all in my imagination.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »
The only problem with sailing was how cumbersome it was to change the wind's direction, but making it very simple wouldn't have been the solution for me, I really can't think of an idea to fix it but it lies in the middle.
Use steam power instead of wind power?

Steampunk Zelda. Is this awesome? Y/Y
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
Use steam power instead of wind power?
But wouldn't it then be Metroid?
Steampunk Zelda. Is this awesome? Y/Y
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 08:20:12 PM »
Nothing about Metroid is steampunk.  Except maybe that stupid Chozo platform in the sky that Retro made up in MP3.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »
Nothing about Metroid is steampunk.  Except maybe that stupid Chozo platform in the sky that Retro made up in MP3.
I think Metroid has a hidden Steampunk in there.  In the cities you never see.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »

Seriously, the best level design since DE_Dust for Counter Strike.

I dunno. I hated the fact that almost none of the NPCs had homes.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »

Seriously, the best level design since DE_Dust for Counter Strike.

I dunno. I hated the fact that almost none of the NPCs had homes.

It is a great island. But I really wanted a larger city in that game and that didn't seem to be it.  But it was great no less.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
You can't beat Clock Town.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »
After the first dungeon, Windwaker went downhill fast.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »

Snowballing rapidly down into a pit full of awesome?
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
I went back to my save.  I hadn't realized its been about 2.5 years since I played it, please note that I started this save when it was launched...  If I would have just stuck it out a little more it seems the triforce guest has fighting.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »

I dunno.  Wind Waker still had it's charming moments.  Things I remember enjoying:
1. The Tower of the gods - I loved the rising and falling water levels.  Not new to the series, but it was well-done.
2. Prominence of the King of Hyrule and Zelda.  Zelda plays much more prominently WW than in the other games.  My biggest disappointment with TP was the lack of Zelda; we saw much more character from in WW. 
3. Strong narrative ties with OoT, and the nods to events that happened in the previous game.  I think Wind Waker made much more sense in context with OoT and LttP.  TP was a great game, but it just muddied the waters plot-wise; it's almost as if it was in an alternate universe...Ultimate Zelda or something.
4. Ominous feel of the game during the search for Jabun.  Unfortunately the encounter is short, and there's no dungeon involved, but at least you didn't have to travel through his digestive tract this time.
5. Valoo's torching of the watch tower on the Forsaken Fortress. 
6. Brief glimpses of Old Hyrule and Hyrule Castle.
7. Final fight with Ganon. 

Wind Waker did go downhill, but I don't think it did so until the very end when you realize that they only had six real dungeons counting the repeated visits to the Forbidden Isle as one.   I think that's the right count, but my memory may be a bit fuzzy.   By the end, I was left feeling as if I had only played 2/3 of a Zelda game.  The Triforce quest was a little lame and anticlimatic; I expected the Triforce pieces to be harder to obtain.

This probably belongs in the other Zelda thread, but the biggest problems I did have with Wind Waker didn't change in Twilight Princess.  Much of the time, I heard that Ganon (and Zant) were really evil, but aside from a few events, I didn't really sense an ominous threat.  Most of the time, in both games, it always felt as if the stakes were being lowered as the game progressed.  In Twilight Princess, you consistenly beat back the Twilight, and you really see little to no reaction from the forces of evil.  In Wind Waker, aside from kidnapping of Aryll, the destruction of the Great Fish Isle, and ominous storm that occurs when you search for Jabun, the player isn't shown why Ganon is so dangerous or considered to be so evil.  In contrast, in OoT, there was a certain shock value to seeing how 7 years of Ganon's dominion had affected Hyrule.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:35:34 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
I never even got that far. I got stuck on that stupid island where you're supposed to escape from the dungeon and fight with a stick and lost interest and never went back. I really wanted to go back and give it another shot but it was too late I had traded my game to GS.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
I never even got that far. I got stuck on that stupid island where you're supposed to escape from the dungeon and fight with a stick and lost interest and never went back. I really wanted to go back and give it another shot but it was too late I had traded my game to GS.

Yeah, it's too bad.  A year or two ago, you could get it on-line for $10 - 15.  Now it's getting a little higher now that its hard to find.  I'm still kicking myself for selling my copy of the Twin Snakes.  Now I can't find it for less than $30; people are actually charging from $50 on amazon for used copies, $150 - $200 for new.  I can't imagine who would pay that kind of money, though. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »
Yeah, it's too bad.  A year or two ago, you could get it on-line for $10 - 15.  Now it's getting a little higher now that its hard to find.  I'm still kicking myself for selling my copy of the Twin Snakes.  Now I can't find it for less than $30; people are actually charging from $50 on amazon for used copies, $150 - $200 for new.  I can't imagine who would pay that kind of money, though.

The Gamecube is the new Saturn.  It's like an ironic reward for loyalty.  My formally run-of-the-mill game collection of an unpopular console is now full of valuable collector's items.  Who guessed my copy of Pikmin 2 would become a highly sought after hardcore gamer status symbol?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 08:42:19 PM »

I dunno.  Wind Waker still had it's charming moments.  Things I remember enjoying:
1. The Tower of the gods - I loved the rising and falling water levels.  Not new to the series, but it was well-done.
2. Prominence of the King of Hyrule and Zelda.  Zelda plays much more prominently WW than in the other games.  My biggest disappointment with TP was the lack of Zelda; we saw much more character from in WW. 
3. Strong narrative ties with OoT, and the nods to events that happened in the previous game.  I think Wind Waker made much more sense in context with OoT and LttP.  TP was a great game, but it just muddied the waters plot-wise; it's almost as if it was in an alternate universe...Ultimate Zelda or something.
4. Ominous feel of the game during the search for Jabun.  Unfortunately the encounter is short, and there's no dungeon involved, but at least you didn't have to travel through his digestive tract this time.
5. Valoo's torching of the watch tower on the Forsaken Fortress. 
6. Brief glimpses of Old Hyrule and Hyrule Castle.
7. Final fight with Ganon. 

Wind Waker did go downhill, but I don't think it did so until the very end when you realize that they only had six real dungeons counting the repeated visits to the Forbidden Isle as one.   I think that's the right count, but my memory may be a bit fuzzy.   By the end, I was left feeling as if I had only played 2/3 of a Zelda game.  The Triforce quest was a little lame and anticlimatic; I expected the Triforce pieces to be harder to obtain.

This probably belongs in the other Zelda thread, but the biggest problems I did have with Wind Waker didn't change in Twilight Princess.  Much of the time, I heard that Ganon (and Zant) were really evil, but aside from a few events, I didn't really sense an ominous threat.  Most of the time, in both games, it always felt as if the stakes were being lowered as the game progressed.  In Twilight Princess, you consistenly beat back the Twilight, and you really see little to no reaction from the forces of evil.  In Wind Waker, aside from kidnapping of Aryll, the destruction of the Great Fish Isle, and ominous storm that occurs when you search for Jabun, the player isn't shown why Ganon is so dangerous or considered to be so evil.  In contrast, in OoT, there was a certain shock value to seeing how 7 years of Ganon's dominion had affected Hyrule.
I agree with the TP remarks.  Once I got to the point where I saved the original love interest and the evil was contained in the castle, I no longer cared.  The evil wasn't hearing anyone at that point so, I was just not motivated to beat it.  If it wasn't for people picking on me here I may not have beaten the game.  Though the wild west part was good...

Thinking back that is true about all the Zelda games.  Evil does its worst and you sort of just push it back.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
After my first Wind Waker playthrough left me a bit disappointed for a few reasons even though it was a great game:

- Not enough land
- The game was WAY too easy (too much hand-holding, no devilish puzzles, cakewalk combat cause enemies take no damage, etc.)
- Denegration of Ganondorf (this little tyke gets to wield the same Master Sword that the Hero of Time had to age seven years for?  I maintain that Toon Link is just not worthy of facing the great Ganondorf.)

However, after my second playthrough last summer - I enjoyed the game SOOOOOO much more than I did the first go 'round.  I knew what to expect and I accepted everything for what it was... and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Wind Waker didn't give me that instant gratification I've come to expect from the Zelda series, but it took a second playthrough to grow on me.

Now gimme a Twilight Princess style Zelda with:

- tough enemies (because I like to have the fear of dying and actually use my fairies and red potions)
- tough puzzles (I love being stuck on a perplexing mind-bender - it makes the excitement of finally solving it all the more sweeter)

I'll be happy with those two.  I'ma Zelda masochist, give me a challenge, please.
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken