Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410573 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1050 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »
I bought Tank! Tank! Tank! before I had a Wii U. I think it was like $5 or something, I got it with some other cheap stuff so don't remember exactly. It may have even been before the download version existed. It reminds me of Battletanx which some people hated but I thought was a good mindless fun game, and so I think I'll get $5 worth of enjoyment out of it.

I queued up the Wonderful 101 demo for download so I'll try it out when I feel like it. I haven't looked into it much but I'm not so sure it's the game for me. I had heard of the Target sale, but I'm not sure there's anything else right now I want to pay that much for. If this happened when Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze were out then it might be a different story, though Mario Kart 8 is the game I'm really waiting for.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:30 PM »
If you can find one game you like, it might be worth picking up and you can exchange the others within 90 days. That's basically what I'm doing. Then again, Target or Toys R Us may have another such sale before the end of the year so it's about the same thing if you wait. They tend to have these sales fairly often.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 24, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Well, looks like my luck has run out. The AC adapter for the GamePad is apparently faulty and now it doesn't work. Fortunately, Best Buy is allowing me to exchange just the adapter instead of having to take back the whole system, however, they are out of stock, so I'll have to go back tomorrow which is when they said the next shipment was due in.

Then again, it wasn't all bad. I heard from CAG that Best Buy had the white Pro controllers on clearance, and they indeed did, so I bought two.

If you can find one game you like, it might be worth picking up and you can exchange the others within 90 days. That's basically what I'm doing.
I'm weary of this because it seems to be YMMV. Some people claim their store let them do it but others claim they wouldn't do it. Not that I would pick any games I didn't want in any capacity to use for an exchange, but I think I'll wait and see what sales the holidays bring.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
That sucks about the GamePad AC adapter especially since the battery isn't great and the console is so intimately tied to the GamePad (I don't think you can even use the eshop without it). Nintendo also doesn't sell those in stores, not that you'd want to spend $25 for something that was faulty. I've had to be extra careful with my GamePad AC adapter because... cats.

The only issue I had exchanging games was a few months ago when I went to exchange a $40 game with a $35 game at Toys R Us. It's a longer and more complicated story than I feel like rewriting, but you can read about it here if you'd like. The short version is that I ended up saving $8 additional because they had to honor my receipt and they made the mistake originally. There wouldn't have been an issue had they exchanged the game correctly the first time.

In any case, I did ask the Target clerk about this on Sunday just to be sure and he said he's done this before (I didn't tell him my whole master plan, I merely asked "in case I wanted to exchange"). As long as the games are unopened, I have the receipt, and it's within the exchange period, they have to honor it. I can definitely see why you would be weary of doing this. The whole endeavor is mildly complicated, but I like free things. I really wouldn't be surprised to see this sale or one like it again in November.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 24, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
The gamepad charger plug is a mini-usb cable, so it can be charged off of some camera or phone USB cables.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
The Pro Controller uses mini USB, but the GamePad is a proprietary plug.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 24, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
don't you mean micro usb?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 24, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »
No, I don't. Mini USB and Micro USB are two different things, and the Wii U Pro Controller uses the former.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 24, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
Don't feel bad, pokepal. I thought it was micro-USB too then I actually looked at it after reading insano's post. Learn something new everyday.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »
Yeah, when I opened the Pro controllers I checked to see if that charger would work. No dice.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 24, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Adrock, you are wrong. They DON'T have to honor it. Every single return is up to the discretion of the store manager, no matter what the receipt policy is. If they had to follow that policy like it was the law, we'd have even more people like you abusing our system.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »
Adrock, you are wrong. They DON'T have to honor it. Every single return is up to the discretion of the store manager, no matter what the receipt policy is. If they had to follow that policy like it was the law, we'd have even more people like you abusing our system.
Whatever you say, chief. I'm just relaying what the Target employee told me and it's never been an issue before. Not sure what you're so mad about, but this is par for the course with you so I will say, "Good day to you, sir."

As for abusing the system...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 25, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
I'm just correcting your wrong assumption that they "have" to accept your return. Just be warned that it is definitely not a guarantee.

I'm definitely not angry, especially not after seeing that GIF.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 25, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
I'm just correcting your wrong assumption...
This post is brought to you by the letter T for TJ.

More importantly, it wasn't an assumption. It was what the dude at Target told me. He said they have to honor my receipt if the game is unopened, I have the receipt, and I'm within the exchange period. Maybe he was talking out of his ass, but that's not really what this is about. In any case, I don't see why they would have a policy if they aren't going to honor it and like I said, I've done this before. It may be morally questionable depending on who you ask, but really, I'm not doing anything illegal. I'm not trying to get away with murder; I'm trying to get a different free game that is of lesser monetary value no less. I'm exploiting a system that Target allows to be exploited and you know, I feel just awful about it.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 25, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
Nice job, little man, you called me TJ. How cute. <3

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
So many people have wondered why there has been no N64 games on the Wii U VC. This rumor may give an answer:

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2013/10/23/rumor-nintendo-bringing-super-mario-64-reumagined-and-other-updated-classics-to-wii-u/

Nintendo is preparing a “reUmagined” series of games for Wii U, beginning with classic titles that the company published during the Nintendo 64 days.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
I'd buy reUmagined (ugh) Super Smash Bros. and Paper Mario. I don't know if I can justify buying Super Mario 64 again when I have it on DS and I'm still only like 12 stars into Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
So the speculated titles, in additon to Mario 64, are:

- Pilot Wings 64
- Wave Race 64
- Star Fox 64
- Excitebike 64
- Pokemon Snap
- 1080 Snowboarding

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Excitebike 64 could be Pilotwings 64 and I hope that it is (if this rumour is true at all)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1069 on: October 30, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
Some of these games would be great.  Until you realize that they could just make a new game because the assets they will need to make the game is basically the same as making a new game.

Unless they believe they can't top the level design of the original game. 

To me the games that will work for this are anything BUT the racing games.  If you are going to make tracks that are HD and highly detailed tracks, you are basically making a new track for a new game.  You could easily just throw the best tracks from the original game (or all of them) in a new game with new tracks and call it Excite Bike U. 

Charge full price for the game….and have another exclusive for your library.

Actually the more I think about it.  It would just be better to make brand new games that try to recreate the feel of the original games, and as a bonus give the original games best levels or concepts as bonus material…or even additional DLC for added purchase. 

All of those games listed just happen to be fan favorite classics that haven't had a proper sequel in a long time…and people are asking for proper sequels. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 30, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
I'd imagine that Nintendo would contract these remakes to smaller third party teams who wouldn't require nearly as much handholding since they'd most likely have the original source code and materials to work from. They would only really need help when it comes to integrating Wii U specific content like Miiverse and using the GamePad. Ultimately, this frees up Nintendo's own teams to work on brand new stuff. If this rumor is true, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams was Grezzo (Ocarina of Time 3D).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »
From the article:

The short development time allows these “big classic” titles to fill the gap in between Nintendo’s original Wii U software.
- Less to fund and fewer people involved means more resources to original titles in development.
- eShop only for $30 per title, reduces risk at retail.
- Wind Waker approach taken in terms of visual upgrades, but “reUmagined” titles will benefit from added content.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 30, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
Since so many people abused the buy 2 get 1 free game in the past my target changed their policy now and instead of having one game zeroed out like they did before--each game is marked down 1/3 of price so when you try to exchange the game later on you can only exchange it for an game of equal value.  Been that way for a few years now.

of course that varies by state/region but it's pretty much common now for most of the big retailers in my area (walmart/bestbuy/gamespot). 

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 30, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
I've already played OOT and Starfox on 3DS, Mario 64 on DS, Majora on Wii U VC.

What else is there? I'm guessing no Rare games...

I miiight get F-Zero X, was going to get it on VC eventually.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1074 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
That list isn't too promising.

I'd play Wave Race though. Especially if it had online.

Online improves a lot of those games.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.