Author Topic: Episode 297: Hippy Shows  (Read 24486 times)

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Episode 297: Hippy Shows
« on: July 08, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

Jon is gone. Jonny is gone. Billy is here. James is in charge. What could go wrong?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/30985

With Jon still stranded on a beach somewhere, and Jonny lost deep in the heart of NYC, James and Guillaume find comfort in the warm embrace of NWR founder Billy Berghammer. 

Billy uses this platform as his chance to reflect on the E3 that was - and to solicit our thoughts on what is widely considered a bit of a disappointing show. He also has impressions from Mario Tennis Open and Gravity Rush. Guillaume hates on Popcap Games, with Billy leading a spirited defense of the EA subsidiary's works, and discusses being the "co" in Super Mario Galaxy's co-star mode. James rounds out new business with a look-back on a Game Boy game from his past, Kid Dracula, a Konami-produced self-parody of Castlevania games.

In listener mail, the trio discuss Nintendo in the world of the $100 million video game, Nintendo in the world of downloadable games, and practical purchasing advice for the RPG-gamer on the go.

As always, we value your input - so write us an email with questions or comments on all things gaming - or not about gaming. We love your mail, so keep sending it.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 297: Hippy Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »
I predict a Connectibites v. RFN throwdown.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline roykoopa64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
Hm, I subscribe to the iTunes version but this one didn't have chapter stops for me, should I try to re-download?
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
'Ahgghh, you bitch!'

Hilarious.

Great episode guys. I completely agree with you Gui about how games journalists gush over games like P vs. Z (which is an ok game) and yet nobody (outside of NWR) talks about Fluidity or Bit.Trip Runner, both of which are for me among the best downloadable games ever released for consoles. It's pretty frustrating.
Gouge away.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
Are we going to have to get Jeff Green on for a rebuttal?

(Please say yes.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
Hm, I subscribe to the iTunes version but this one didn't have chapter stops for me, should I try to re-download?
I'm sorry, I don't know what happened, but I've fixed it now. Please re-download.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
Thanks Gui.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
@ the plants vs zombies discussion

Welcome to life as a Nintendo fan, Guillaume.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 12:45:07 AM »
@ the plants vs zombies discussion

Welcome to life as a Nintendo fan, Guillaume.

Haha. Ohhh, this opinion isn't new, I've waited for a long time for a soapbox to say it. PvsZ is neat, but good lord, there were so many quick fun games that came out at the same time as the XLBA version, and then the iPad version...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »
Fantastic show, guys!

My absence had nothing to do with hippie shows, which I attended the days before and after recording. I'd actually just finished dinner and left my friend in Manhattan to get back to his apartment in Jersey to do RFN. I was having a pretty bad day (mainly due to losing my 3DS, which I'll discuss next episode) and was eagerly looking forward to doing the podcast and having Billy on. I got back to the apartment and found that I'd forgotten to get the keys from my friend, and he'd forgotten to give them to me. There was nothing else to do but call in my situation and head back to the city. (Recording would have been nearly over by the time I could get the keys and come all the way back again.) I was despondent the rest of the night after making a serious effort to do the show and still screwing it up. Thankfully, my colleagues are true pros and took care of business anyway.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 01:54:44 AM »
@Jonnyboy117

Bummer man. With Nintendo's profile system (or lack there of) the way it is I'm really not looking forward to the day that I lose my 3DS (I lose everything, it's just a matter of time) and with it all the eShop games I've bought. I'm sure you'll be discussing this on the next episode but do you know whether or not Nintendo have any contingency in place for when this happens?
Gouge away.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »
NEVER ACCUSE ME OF PROFESSIONALISM!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 05:19:08 AM »
I'm sure you'll be discussing this on the next episode but do you know whether or not Nintendo have any contingency in place for when this happens?

With a police report.

Yes, I'm serious. At least they could move my Ambassador status over, having been down this road already.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
I'm sure you'll be discussing this on the next episode but do you know whether or not Nintendo have any contingency in place for when this happens?

With a police report.

Yes, I'm serious. At least they could move my Ambassador status over, having been down this road already.

Ahh, right. That seems kinda weird. Although I guess because the 3DS doesn't have a profile which can be recovered they needed to find a way to dissuade people from just calling up and reporting their system lost in order to get eShop purchases put on to multiple systems. It really is a shame they don't just implement a proper profile system, with a gamertag and password.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
NEVER ACCUSE ME OF PROFESSIONALISM!

...but... the description above your icon says NWR Staff Pro.
Gouge away.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
I've waited for a long time for a soapbox to say it. PvsZ is neat, but good lord, there were so many quick fun games that came out at the same time as the XLBA version, and then the iPad version...

I mean no disrespect to you, but I am confused as to why you put the time into playing the co op when it's a game you don't much care for. When you finished discussing it I couldn't help thinking
"So... why did Gui want his girl friend to play this?"
Or is this one of those games like inFamous 2 where you did actually enjoy playing it but had a lot of criticisms?
Goodness knows I have played my fair share of games where I felt like that.

I for one loved ios PvsZ. The solo campaign is slight but as I recall it rewards a second play through and the bonus content was a lot of fun that's been added to since. It had me hooked for a good while.
Although I think I must have enjoyed it a lot more than you did I have never wanted to buy it on another system.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »

I mean no disrespect to you, but I am confused as to why you put the time into playing the co op when it's a game you don't much care for. When you finished discussing it I couldn't help thinking
"So... why did Gui want his girl friend to play this?"
Or is this one of those games like inFamous 2 where you did actually enjoy playing it but had a lot of criticisms?
Goodness knows I have played my fair share of games where I felt like that.

It's an enjoyable game with good music and cute art. I've said as much on the show. And the fact that it's easy and exploitable becomes a plus when you're trying to figure out what game to play with someone who hasn't played as many games as you have.

Plus, I knew we were going to play games together, but I hadn't really planned anything in advance. I figured I'd watch her play Wind Waker but she didn't really want to, so I went "let me look at what I have".

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
I went for the PSP last Christmas and was able to get kitted out for about $140 with a 16GB card (brand new 3000 + microSD + memory stick adapter). The 3000 is the best bet because in my experience, the used games are usually SquareEnix ones that aren't on PSN.

The Tactics redo and Tactics Ogre are on PSN ($10) but the Final Fantasy 1 remake isn't, same with Kingdom Hearts, the Valkyrie Profile/Star Ocean remakes and Crisis Core. And I wouldn't wish Final Fantasy 2 on my worst enemy (though Chozo should check it out).

But yes, abuse the hell out of the July Atlus sale (Personas and the entire Department Heaven strategy RPG series runs about a new PS3 game altogether). Also, XSeed's Tales in the Sky was in my GOTY discussion for 2011, and that's pretty cheap now.
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
I bought PvZ once (on the PC, a few hours before launch, got Heavy Weapon Deluxe as a bonus for "preordering"), played it to death and that was it for me, never got another version. Not for me, that is: My mother played that game too and the last version she got was the DSiWare one. She has real trouble with that game, while people like you or me just blazed through it she's facing real trouble even in fairly easy levels. And then there's World of Goo which every PC gamer probably owns about five times over by now.

I think some long burner games may have broken the 100M$ barrier, especially MMORPGs (APB might have, for example). However from what I heard you need to sell 100k copies for every million dollars in dev cost to break even (due to the various other expenses that aren't part of the dev cost) so when you're talking about 100M$ games it's not enough to sell two million copies. Of course the math differs for subscription games like MMORPGs. Nintendo is in a unique position here I think, their major franchises are already fairly stylized and simple graphics-wise (even in HD Kirby is just a sphere) which reduces the work needed to create those assets. Their games aren't weaker sellers for it though, the NSMB games sell on the level of Call of Duty.

Wasn't transfaring already attempted with the PSP? Nobody did it there either. I guess most people simply don't have demand for that kind of thing.

Konami loves (or at least loved) making self-parodies. Between Wai Wai World and Parodius a game like Kid Dracula looks quite sane. I had Parodius on the GB, the joke of the final boss was lost on me because I had the gameboy version of Gradius which had varied bosses and a final boss that actually shot back.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
It's an enjoyable game with good music and cute art. I've said as much on the show. And the fact that it's easy and exploitable becomes a plus when you're trying to figure out what game to play with someone who hasn't played as many games as you have.

Plus, I knew we were going to play games together, but I hadn't really planned anything in advance. I figured I'd watch her play Wind Waker but she didn't really want to, so I went "let me look at what I have".

Cheers for responding. I usually bust out Beatles Rock band or Wario Ware in the same situation. Been meanign to try to twist a few arms to try the multi player on ios Chu Chu Rocket too.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
I went for the PSP last Christmas and was able to get kitted out for about $140 with a 16GB card (brand new 3000 + microSD + memory stick adapter). The 3000 is the best bet because in my experience, the used games are usually SquareEnix ones that aren't on PSN.

The Tactics redo and Tactics Ogre are on PSN ($10) but the Final Fantasy 1 remake isn't, same with Kingdom Hearts, the Valkyrie Profile/Star Ocean remakes and Crisis Core. And I wouldn't wish Final Fantasy 2 on my worst enemy (though Chozo should check it out).

But yes, abuse the hell out of the July Atlus sale (Personas and the entire Department Heaven strategy RPG series runs about a new PS3 game altogether). Also, XSeed's Tales in the Sky was in my GOTY discussion for 2011, and that's pretty cheap now.

About Ellen's question, PSP is definitely the way to go if you are content playing the older RPGs (and there sure are plenty of great ones on that platform...TACTICSOgreKoffkoff).
That said, she should still give a strong look at this upcoming 3DS XL (or 3DS if the added cost is untenable):
-if she hasn't played the DS' own strong library of RPGs (includes juicy exclusives like the Pokemans, the Etrian Oddysseys and the Dragon Quests); and they should look great on the new XL screen.
- if she will miss Nintendo games or any new games in general as PSP is no longer supported outside a few fringe Japan-only super niche titles. It's nice to participate in the excitement of a new outward release sometimes.

Additionally, and the crew has Talked about this at length in previous pods, but the 3DS will see great support this generation. Going by 2012 sales, It is shaping up to be Japan's premier traditional game platform. Combined with the fact that it is Monster Hunter 4's earthly avatar, strong Japanese software support is a given...and it sounds like those are the games she gravitates to.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
My take on Ellyn's question:

The best mix of value and longevity is to start by catching up on some DS RPGs with the system you already own. James's list is a great starting point although it lacks some of the best ones, including FF4 and the four Dragon Quests on DS. Then wait for a Vita price drop. I say Vita over PSP not for new games but because it now supports PSone games including many great, cheap RPGs. And it still plays most of the PSP library of RPGs. Hopefully her new abode will have better online access compared to her current home, which she mentioned in a previous letter to the show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »
Get a PSP 3000. Here's my reasoning:

- It's cheaper than a Go or Vita.
- All PSP games are available on UMD, but not all are available for download.
- You could always buy a large memory stick and download games (which is cheaper than on Vita because of its proprietary memory cards).
- All PSone classics can be downloaded to PSP.
- Ellyn already said she has no interest in any Vita games.

I also asked my friend (who owns 62 PSP games, many of which are rpgs) which PSP rpgs he would recommend. He said:

Riviera: The Promised Land*
Hexyz Force*
Knights in the Nightmare*
Yggdra Union*
Final Fantasy I, II, IV Complete Collection, Dissidia 012 [Duodecim], Tactics
Half Minute Hero
Persona 1-3*
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys 1, 2, 3, 6, 7
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Gods Eater Burst

*All these are on sale this month on PSN.

Many PS1 rpgs are also available as classics, including FF7-9, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Grandia, Wild Arms 1&2, Suikoden, Parasite Eve 1&2,  etc.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:31:40 PM by Fiendlord_Timmay »

Offline zoanthropicfrog

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »
Forum-lurker and letter-writer Ellyn here.

I've played most of the DS RPGs that are interesting to me now, though there is at least one or two others that I'll get sometime.

With regards to download titles, it's just been revealed to me that the price I'm paying for super-cheap accommodation is very limited internet access — faster and more reliable than at home, but I can only get to it through the heavily restricted hostel computers, so no wifi access for me. This means I'll only be able to download stuff maybe once or twice a month when I'm at home, when all the usual online problems kick in again (rural, satellite, capped, generally crappy). Even worse, I won't be able to download your podcasts on anything approaching a regular basis. GUH. HOW WILL I COPE.

Given all that, I'll be almost without exception limited to UMD. So Jonny, does your advice for the vita still apply? I'm guessing the PSone games and cheap RPGs are primarily download titles.

A pretty compelling case is being made for the PSP... I'll give it a lot more thought of course, because it's still quite a deal of money for me and I've never not been a Nintendo gamer, but it's looking more likely that it'll be the one I go for. Still, I'm going to have to make a point of finding a 3DS demoing at a shop somewhere one of these days, because I've never even seen one before outside of images.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
Ah so dl is pretty much off limits.
Will it be easy for you to get UMD games where you are? Do you need to get them shipped? Or are GameStop stores still within reach?
Just popped over to amazon and they have a handful of titles at 20-20 bux...some really cool ones (like Ys or SMT) are perhaps more rare.