Author Topic: Episode 255: La Troisième Saison  (Read 16826 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 255: La Troisième Saison
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

After numerous delays, it's finally time to kick off RFN: Season 3 with a huge retrospective on our favorite SNES games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/27552

After five years on the air, it felt like a good time to refresh the show a little bit. That means new music and a little more flexibility in how the show is structured. For a good example, just listen to how the show gets started...

We launch directly into talk of Xenoblade Chronicles, which just came out in Europe to amazing reviews. Greg's homeland is also the source of more interesting topics, such as the new Wii hardware revision and notable release date announcements. Greg also has good things to say about his latest eShop acquisition, Game & Watch Gallery -- also look out for his first impressions of Rhythm Tengoku for Wii, coming next week! Jonny revisits AlphaBounce and slathers even more adoration upon Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Jon seems underwhelmed by the Resistance 3 beta, and James gets frustrated with Borderlands before stepping into the world of Enslaved, starring that monkey guy.

After the break, we celebrate the 20th anniversary of Super Nintendo (and NWR's ongoing feature, The SNES 20) by talking about our favorite games from the classic system. Using the site's list as a starting point, the RFN crew waxes nostalgic on timeless games. There are plenty of familiar titles in the mix, but we also explore the more obscure side of the SNES library and tell you which ones to download on Virtual Console, like right now.

Next week, we anticipate Karl joining us to defend Killer 7. If you have any thoughts on the game or are playing it now for the first time, join the discussion a the official RetroActive forum thread for a chance to have your comments read on the show! We also love getting your emails -- send one now!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Episode 255: La Troisième Saison
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
(insert obligatory "OMG RUINED FOREVER" post here)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:08 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the hot-start. Feedback?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »
I'm happy with how it turned out, but I want everyone to know that this rolling "hot" start is probably not going to be a regular thing. I thought it would be fun to try and would throw everyone off-balance in a good way. We may do it again sometime, but I think it caused Greg some headaches and would also lose its impact if done too often.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
As a wrestling fan, occasionally starting the show off right away (with no intro or anything like that) can work and be impact full. Every week would take that away.

Haven't listened to this weeks episode yet (probably will tomorrow or Tuesday), but I liked how the old format was. I will give my opinions on the new one after I listen to the show.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
I like the hot start. It probably shouldn't be an every week thing, but if you've got a topic you want to jump right into, it's a cool way to do it.

Also, since apparently Jon is a big fan of Tecmo Bowl, like myself, I know what we're doing next time I make it to PAX. No picking the Raiders!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »
It's kind of weird to listen to because half the conversation happened before we started recording.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
Yeah, ActRaiser, YEAH.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:33 AM »
Man, not even sure what to comment on from this ep... let's give it a go....

1. The hot start was cool.  I think doing it once or twice a year would work.  Certainly stick with the musical intro for most weeks.

2. I was a Sega kid back during the SNES days.  My best friend had SNES so I played it all the time and I actually borrowed a different friend's SNES for an entire summer once.  But yea... love Mickey's Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana, (Super)SF2, Star Fox, SUPER METROID, the list does go on and on ...

3. Kirby's Adventure is still probably my favorite Kirby game.  I have high hopes for Returns to Dreamland.

4. I loved BoF III and IV on PSX.  I tried to go back and play BoF1 and it didn't work out for me... never played BoF1 or 5.  I probably should!!!
... ya know what? eff it. I'm gonna hunt these games down and play them!!
... don't that beat all?
(10 internets to anyone who can cite the reference)

5. I've heard of Illusion of Gaia but ... I actually have never seen it played and know basically nothing about it =\

6. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) is amazing... I still host a tourney for the game every year before the actual Super Bowl!

~~~~~~~

Another great show guys!
Are you gonna have to switch to 16-bit for 256+?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:13:45 AM »
5. I've heard of Illusion of Gaia but ... I actually have never seen it played and know basically nothing about it =\

I'm not as big on the game as Jonny is (I think its spiritual descendant Terranigma exceeds it in every conceivable way), but Illusion of Gaia is a very unique and enjoyable experience.  As a completion-ist, the game annoyed me because it's a lot more linear than you would expect from that sort of game, and there are collectibles hidden that unlock useful gear towards the end of the game that you just can't go back for.  The ending's also a little "meh" as well.

If Nintendo really does own the publishing rights to Illusion of Gaia, they really do have no excuse for not bringing the game over to the NA Virtual Console when they're releasing **** all otherwise for it.  I could have sworn that Enix (now Square-Enix) published the game in NA, though.  Of the unofficial "Gaia trilogy", though, we really need to get Terranigma.  It's just the better game of the 3 games, and one that was never originally released in NA so a lot of people have never even heard of it.

And for that matter, we really need to get Lufia 2 over on the NA VC as well, especially since IIRC the ESRB actually rated the thing earlier this year.

Of course, since NoA seems to despise RPGs given how things are going on the Wii these days, I have a sinking feeling we won't see any of these games until the Wii U rolls around at the very earliest.  Even that's unlikely, though, since NoA will be rushing to put GC games up on the service for a much larger profit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:15:29 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 is nowhere near the longest game title. Here are some longer ones (English versions only, Japanese titles can be very long):

Disney's American Dragon: Jake Long, Attack of the Dark Dragon (DS/GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army (PS2)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Dranor (PC)
Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (PC/Mac)
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius: Jimmy Neutron Vs. Jimmy Negatron (GBA)
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II -- The Rise of the Witch-king (PC)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
I LOVE the cold open to start. It's definitely better used as a rarely-used approach it will keep things fresh.

You know how Quantum of Solace starts the film in the middle of a car chase? This felt the same way: lacking context but BLAM and we're off.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 04:01:44 AM »
BTW, the movie about the kid who gets into MLB because of his arm is Rookie of the Year.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:09 AM »
So the old G&W collections had modernized game versions too? Nice, I'll look at it then. G&W Collection Advance was awesome, especially some of the modernized versions like Chef. It has the games from G&WC1 in their old form but I don't think it has them modernized.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:27 AM »
I loved the opening! It made me, as the kids say, lol.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:25 AM »
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 is nowhere near the longest game title. Here are some longer ones (English versions only, Japanese titles can be very long):

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Dranor (PC)
Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (PC/Mac)
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius: Jimmy Neutron Vs. Jimmy Negatron (GBA)
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II -- The Rise of the Witch-king (PC)

Peter Jackson's King Kong, the Movie: The video game.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
@James Jones

Enslaved is really fun.  I'm definitely in the defense force for this game.  It feels like an enjoyable Sci-fi action movie.  Plus the characters are very human.  Not just the character motions but it feels like the most have had the voice actors acting out the scenes when they did the recordings.  The music is fantastic and fits perfectly.  Let us know what you think of the ending on the show.  Thanks.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
I look forward to the assault on my taste and character next week.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
@ broodwars

I am indeed a completionist so we'll see how that goes =)  Terranigma is another one I've heard mentioned here and there throughout my gaming life but never had any (memorable) first-hand contact with.  From the podcast it sounds like it never hit the states?

I wonder what would be more financially beneficial for Nintendo - slowly trickling gems on to the VC like they are doing, or just trying to put a comprehensive library online from the get go?

The trickling makes titles get a bump in hype/coverage/sales when they are eventually released.  But imagine how much hardware it would help move if Nintendo could say: "every NES/SNES game ever made is available on the Wii U VC."?
(not to be confused with some kind of Wii QVC)

Plus, if they were ALL online, I imagine you'd get a lot more impulse purchases from people just browsing through who are like "hmm, I heard of that but never played it... let's give it a whirl for $5!"

... just my thoughts.

@ TJ Spyke

hilarious list.

I was afraid one of my beloved Crystal Chronicles games would have made the list.  "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers" is pretty long!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

My Life as a Dark Lord is longer
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »

Peter Jackson's King Kong, the Movie: The video game.

Well, the title was Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. Still long and redundant though. I always think it's stupid when games based on a movie feel they have to add "The Game" or "The Video Game" to the title.

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
I was just thinking that it was about time to change the intro music. You guys can read minds, too?! Is there anything you can't do?

In all seriousness, great episode. I now have a nice list of Super Nintendo games to track down. :D

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
Jonny, everything you were saying about when your family was in town, taking forever to leave the house with your sister's new baby, not having time to game on your console but finding 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there while you're waiting for someone to get ready...

Dude, that was your sneak peek at gaming during fatherhood.

I think there are a few gamer daddies (and maybe mommies?) in these forums who can identify.   My wii is collecting dust right now, but it's not because I'm playing on an HD console, nor is it that I don't have games to play on it.  In fact, my Wii backlog approaches Lindermanish heights.   It's my beautiful new 6 month old that's to blame.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

I think I found a longer one:
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
@ broodwars

I am indeed a completionist so we'll see how that goes =)  Terranigma is another one I've heard mentioned here and there throughout my gaming life but never had any (memorable) first-hand contact with.  From the podcast it sounds like it never hit the states?

Yeah, Terranigma was fully localized in English in Europe (which is the version I played) and was generally very well-received, but for some inexplicable reason the Powers that Be decided not to release the game in NA despite the SNES winding down around that point.  Gee, sound familiar?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:36:22 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.