Author Topic: Conspiracy Theory Sony and Microsoft??!  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Conspiracy Theory Sony and Microsoft??!
« on: May 06, 2004, 03:56:21 PM »
Well I just noticed something fairly odd and coincidental about the news today.  Sony just annouced they are skipping a year on their 989 sports games.  Didn't MS announce the same thing?  Thast kind of weird that one would do the same as the other KNOWING that they would have less competition next year.  Hmmmmmmmmm........  If they partnered up next gen they would need TWO sports lines.  What do you think?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Conspiracy Theory Sony and Microsoft??!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 04:18:14 PM »
I think EA's sports offerings take up such a huge chunk of the market that it's neither necessary or worthwhile to provide a first party sports lineup.  Anyone who's not going to buy EA sports games is going to likely buy Sega over MS or Sony anyway since if you're not buying EA and like sports obviously you do some research and know that Sega is better than the first party games.

I used to suggest that Nintendo should start their own sports lineup but if Sony's and Microsoft's efforts fail to do well it might not be necessary.  Or at least not in an annual release scenario.

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Conspiracy Theory Sony and Microsoft??!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 05:34:11 PM »
It's probably good for them considering the quality of EA Sports games so far this year.  But then again it's just going to make it harder for them to get sales back from EA when they do return.  Alas EA gets larger, blame Madden if your upset (you should see what happened to EA's stock the year Madden took off)  Then again EA makes up for some of the really bad American publishers.