Author Topic: Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, Bethesda  (Read 30854 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Microsoft is Doomed, Quaked, Preyed, Dishnoured, Fallouted, Elder Scolled, and Wolfensteined.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:19:27 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, Bethesda
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 04:38:22 PM »
Good lord the console wars are alive and well.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:07:17 AM »
I still think Xbox Platform will not equal Xbox hardware in the future. Xbox will be on late generation ps5, the Xbox SX, Switch 2, and the PC.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »
Its  huge news. I like Both Xbox and Bethesda, so Im ok with it.

I think that for huge series like The Elder Scrolls and Doom, they will still release on PS5. They will want to get as many sales as possible.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
I think that for huge series like The Elder Scrolls and Doom, they will still release on PS5. They will want to get as many sales as possible.

It would increase game sales, but having Elder Scrolls VI as an exclusive is the kind of thing that could move hardware.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
Yeah, you kind of have to assume the purchase was to lock down the big franchises (Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout).  It'd be such a huge boon to Xbox Game Pass to have those as exclusives.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
You know, I don't think I've ever played a game made by Bethesda. For me, this news has been kind of a big shrug. It doesn't change my consideration of whether I'd get an Xbox console now or in the future. Even though Bethesda was a 3rd party, I always associated them more closely with Microsoft and Xbox. I guess Skyrim and the 360's promotion of it just tied them together in my mind. So, the move makes sense to me in that their software always seemed to be more in line with the type of gamer Microsoft would seem to advertise or appeal to.

I do appreciate how Bethesda helped changed the 3rd party conversation and situation with Nintendo and the Switch. When Switch was first shown with Skyrim, it was just taken as a situation like EA and Mass Effect 3 at the Wii U launch of a third party doing a quick port of an older game to offer some token of support with a popular game but I don't think anyone had high hopes that Bethesda would be bringing over more of their games to Switch. And, indeed, in the early months of the Switch, there were third parties throwing out various excuses for why they weren't including Switch in their plans despite its big sales. It seemed like this could be another Wii situation of being a market leader but 3rd parties keeping their big titles away from the system. But then Bethesda announced they were bringing over more of their big games like Doom and Wolfenstein and that seemed to spark a change with most third parties taking the Switch more seriously and as something worth supporting. Even with a lot of being their older games and stuff in their back catalogue, it has still helped make a difference in people's perception of the Switch. Hopefully this will keep things going in the future with third parties not outright dismissing Nintendo's hardware like they have been for almost two decades now. For that, I have a positive view of Bethesda just for being a smart third party by recognizing that it made sense to offer their wares to all segments of the market rather than ignoring a portion of it that was steadily growing. It helped signal that the Switch was going to be different from the Wii.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
The only Bethesda game I have played is Skyrim VR for PSVR. What I like most about Bethesda is their initiatives with 3D and VR in their games. I hope this acquisition does not mitigate those endeavors going forward as it seems X Box is playing it safe with games since the Kinect crash.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I just hope we keep getting Switch support from them. Was looking forward to Starfield and Elder Scrolls on a portable. I have a much better gaming PC now, so I'm sure I'll have access to them there, but some of those games just work better for me as a portable that I can pickup and continue at any moment.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Portables do not equal competition. At least not really. Especially not the Switch Lite.