Author Topic: Nintendo Claims Victory Against Wii Patent Lawsuit  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Nintendo Claims Victory Against Wii Patent Lawsuit
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/01/nintendo-claims-victory-against-wii-patent-lawsuit.aspx

A U.S. district court judge has dismissed a case brought against Nintendo by Copper Innovations Group which claimed the Wii console and controllers infringed upon one of its patents. After looking over the case, Judge David Cercone of the U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh said there was no need for a trial, and ruled in Nintendo's favor.

Nintendo of America’s deputy general counsel Richard Medway said, “Nintendo has a long history of developing innovative products while respecting the intellectual property rights of others. We also vigorously defend patent lawsuits when we firmly believe that we have not infringed another party’s patent, despite the risks that this policy entails. I would like to express our sincere appreciation for the tireless efforts of our legal team.

It seems like I vaguely remember this lawsuit being filed years ago. Did it really take this long for the judge to get around to simply look at it and then instantly dismiss the whole thing? Its ridiculous how slow the legal system moves. Doesn't the constitution guarantee the right to a speedy trial? That seems like a joke.
is your sanity...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Claims Victory Against Wii Patent Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/01/nintendo-claims-victory-against-wii-patent-lawsuit.aspx

A U.S. district court judge has dismissed a case brought against Nintendo by Copper Innovations Group which claimed the Wii console and controllers infringed upon one of its patents. After looking over the case, Judge David Cercone of the U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh said there was no need for a trial, and ruled in Nintendo's favor.

Nintendo of America’s deputy general counsel Richard Medway said, “Nintendo has a long history of developing innovative products while respecting the intellectual property rights of others. We also vigorously defend patent lawsuits when we firmly believe that we have not infringed another party’s patent, despite the risks that this policy entails. I would like to express our sincere appreciation for the tireless efforts of our legal team.

It seems like I vaguely remember this lawsuit being filed years ago. Did it really take this long for the judge to get around to simply look at it and then instantly dismiss the whole thing? Its ridiculous how slow the legal system moves. Doesn't the constitution guarantee the right to a speedy trial? That seems like a joke.

Patent lawsuits are a civil court matter ($$), not criminal (Jailtime).  I'd have to check with my lawyer friend, but I think the "right to a speedy trial" thing mostly applies to criminal cases.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo Claims Victory Against Wii Patent Lawsuit
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Patent and copyright lawsuits can take years, ESPECIALLY if both sides are rich and they keep appealing the outcome.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20