Author Topic: Water-only café opens to flood of criticism in New York City  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/water-only-cafe-york-molecule-200935488.html

A water-only café serving filtered New York City tap water is facing a wave of criticism for its overpriced, artisanal H20.

Molecule, which recently opened in Manhattan's East Village, charges $2.50 per 16-ounce glass of water treated with its custom-built, $25,000 purifier.

It's "a cocktail bar for water enthusiasts," the Wall Street Journal said in its profile. "Patrons can order a shot of vitamins A, B, C, D and E or a mixture of roots, herbs, fruits and mushrooms blended in blasts called 'energy,' 'immunity' and 'skin, hair and nails' to add to their water."

The giant filtration machine "uses ultraviolet rays, ozone treatments and reverse osmosis in a seven-stage processing treatment" to create what Molecule's proprietors call "pure H20."

This is how it would be if Apple sold water.  ;)
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Water-only café opens to flood of criticism in New York City
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/water-only-cafe-york-molecule-200935488.html

A water-only café serving filtered New York City tap water is facing a wave of criticism for its overpriced, artisanal H20.

Molecule, which recently opened in Manhattan's East Village, charges $2.50 per 16-ounce glass of water treated with its custom-built, $25,000 purifier.

It's "a cocktail bar for water enthusiasts," the Wall Street Journal said in its profile. "Patrons can order a shot of vitamins A, B, C, D and E or a mixture of roots, herbs, fruits and mushrooms blended in blasts called 'energy,' 'immunity' and 'skin, hair and nails' to add to their water."

The giant filtration machine "uses ultraviolet rays, ozone treatments and reverse osmosis in a seven-stage processing treatment" to create what Molecule's proprietors call "pure H20."

This is how it would be if Apple sold water.  ;)

We snicker and joke how much of a joke this is, but you KNOW there's a market for this product in NYC.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »
yum taste that, its poly-vinyl chlorate, i kid i kid

its HDPE, High Density Polyethylene
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:59:47 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
If you're a dumbass who likes to go broke spending your money on worthless bullshit, go ahead.  Just don't whine to me about it afterwards (which is really annoying; nothing drives me more nuts than people who make more money than me and have no kids complaining about never having any money).

However if this starts some sort of trend where paying for tap water is widely accepted enough that I can no longer get free water at a restaurant, okay, NOW I'm going to get pissed off.  And that's sadly often how things go.  We talk about voting with your wallet but voting only works if you're in the majority.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »
If you're a dumbass who likes to go broke spending your money on worthless bullshit, go ahead.  Just don't whine to me about it afterwards (which is really annoying; nothing drives me more nuts than people who make more money than me and have no kids complaining about never having any money).

However if this starts some sort of trend where paying for tap water is widely accepted enough that I can no longer get free water at a restaurant, okay, NOW I'm going to get pissed off.  And that's sadly often how things go.  We talk about voting with your wallet but voting only works if you're in the majority.

Someone correct me here if i'm wrong, but from my experiences in NYC, many restaurants already won't offer you any sort of water other than bottled water, and most of those are ALSO just tap water ran through a filter.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Meh. If you want water, use the water fountain. Isn't it a law that every public bulding must have a water fountain?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
nothing drives me more nuts than people who make more money than me and have no kids complaining about never having any money).
I've got the Ian seal of Approval to complaing that I have no money.
We talk about voting with your wallet but voting only works if you're in the majority.
Here the in the US thats not how it works.
Meh. If you want water, use the water fountain. Isn't it a law that every public bulding must have a water fountain?
Only wish.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
Another option is you could bring your own water in a thermos or something... unless they won't allow you to do that. I've gotten in trouble before bringing my own food and beverages into movie theaters.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
Another option is you could bring your own water in a thermos or something... unless they won't allow you to do that. I've gotten in trouble before bringing my own food and beverages into movie theaters.
I actually own a camelback for this reason for ball games and like.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »
I'd try it.