Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4 Finally Gets Trophy Support  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Metal Gear Solid 4 Finally Gets Trophy Support
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »
http://andriasang.com/con1vt/metal_gear_announcement/

Great news for those who are obsessed with trophies. This patch is 4 years overdue, but better late than never right?
is your sanity...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 Finally Gets Trophy Support
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »
I might actually replay the game now!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
With, or without trophies I don't think it's worth replaying it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
With or without trophies, the Metal Gear Solid series can **** off as far as I'm concerned.  Granted, my sole exposure to the series was Twin Snakes, but I just don't see what the big deal is with that series (especially since from what I've read, if you haven't been following that series religiously, you really don't have a chance of understanding what little there is to understand about that story).

I think I'll remain with the occasional Batman, Assassin's Creed, or Splinter Cell Conviction if I just have to have my Stealth fix.

Now, if SEGA would like to follow Konami's lead and finally issue a trophy patch for Valkyria Chronicles, I'd totally be up for a replay of that awesome game.   ;D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »
While I think it's silly that they now decide to add trophies, I find it funnier that they are re-releasing it under a "budget" line of games.  You can find piles of this game at your local gamestop for $8, if I recall. 

Regardless, while i'm not a big trophy collector, I may delay a re-playthrough of this game until I beat Demon's Souls so I can see what kind of trophys they come up with.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
With or without trophies, the Metal Gear Solid series can **** off as far as I'm concerned.  Granted, my sole exposure to the series was Twin Snakes...

Then don't bother talking about it.

I loved MGS4, maybe more so than MGS3 because having crazy ass technology in the near future is more believeable to me than to have crazy ass technology 50 years ago. I could barely go five minutes in MGS3 without calling bullshit on how something looks or how certain characters act.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
With or without trophies, the Metal Gear Solid series can **** off as far as I'm concerned.  Granted, my sole exposure to the series was Twin Snakes...

This patch was done to appeal to the big-time Trophy Collectors, and I think it's pretty fair to assume I'm probably the biggest trophy fanatic on this site (just see my trophy card below).  And yet, I still don't care about MGS4.  If you like Metal Gear, great.  I don't understand how anyone could like that series, but "good for you."  That was the context for my original post.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:52:02 AM by broodwars »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

I loved MGS4, maybe more so than MGS3 because having crazy ass technology in the near future is more believeable to me than to have crazy ass technology 50 years ago. I could barely go five minutes in MGS3 without calling bullshit on how something looks or how certain characters act.

But his opinion is important, even if he didn't contribute to the thread topic!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
But his opinion is important, even if he didn't contribute to the thread topic!

Internet gaming message boards (like the rest of the internet) apparently are SERIOUS BUSINESS.  You can't just post on something just to post on it.  No, definitely not.   ::)

And for the record, you might have noticed I pointed out that I'd love if SEGA were to do this for Valkyria Chronicles, another game people have really complained about wanting trophy support for.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
I was talking about the fact that you're bitching about a series you've hardly played. You told the series to **** off when you have only played Twin Snakes. You can give me your opinion, but I won't exactly consider it valid.

And yes, I've seen your Trophy collection.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
As someone else pointed out, you can get this game for dirt cheap especially if you don't mind grabbing it used. So would it really hurt to shell out $8 or whatever bucks to give the game a chance? Even if you didn't like Twin Snakes that's fine, but this is a different game in the franchise. Why not give it a shot? Its not like you will be out of serious moolah even if you dislike it.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
As someone else pointed out, you can get this game for dirt cheap especially if you don't mind grabbing it used. So would it really hurt to shell out $8 or whatever bucks to give the game a chance? Even if you didn't like Twin Snakes that's fine, but this is a different game in the franchise. Why not give it a shot? Its not like you will be out of serious moolah even if you dislike it.

At this point, though, I don't think someone like me can climb on-board w/ MGS 4, not with how labyrinthine that plot has apparently become by this point.  I'd have to play through MGS 2 and 3 to probably have a shot at appreciating MGS 4, and I'm really not up to that.  Twin Snakes was my attempt to climb on-board with a then-modern (MGS2 and 3) gameplay engine, and I just did not like it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:31:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »

At this point, though, I don't think someone like me can climb on-board w/ MGS 4, not with my labyrinthine that plot has apparently become by this point.  I'd have to play through MGS 2 and 3 to probably have a shot at appreciating MGS 4, and I'm really not up to that.  Twin Snakes was my attempt to climb on-board with a then-modern (MGS2 and 3) gameplay engine, and I just did not like it.

That is a very reasonable criticism of the series.  The gameplay is enjoyable enough (to me), but for many people, the biggest appeal of MGS4 was to have a conclusion to Solid Snake's story.  I enjoyed the story, but it was definitely a convoluted mess, and while there seemed to be more diversity in how you can play MGS4 (stealth vs run & gun), if you don't have any appreciation for the story, then you probably won't have any substantial reason to purchase the game.

Your response to my comment was funny.  I don't at all take forum discussions as a matter of life or death, I was just confused at your comment because I felt it didn't really contribute much to the discussion of MGS4 getting trophies and a "value" release.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:12:42 PM by lolmonade »